Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What are the best ways to prevent the development of separation anxiety? I plan on adopting an adult dog sometime this summer, after I move. I work full time from home so I'm a bit concerned that the dog may become so used to my presence all day that days where I take off for any amount of time may trigger some sort of freak-out.

Dog walkers and even doggie day care are options I could swing without much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Thanks! I'm thinking crating is going to happen because many of the rescues pretty much require it (or make you write out a nice long essay about why you won't do it). I'm concerned because one of the breeds I'm considering getting is a Boxer (as there seem to be a bunch of them in need of adoption) and I know they can get separation anxiety pretty easily.

As you said though it will depend on personality and I suppose I should be able to work with the rescues to find a dog which doesn't seem to be predisposed to it. I'm aiming for an adult dog at 3 years old or so, so personality should be well established by then.

edit: Also I can work anywhere I have internet access, so a trip to the local coffee shop, library, or even just sitting on the back porch are all options for quick outings. I also will likely be meeting friends for lunch fairly regularly. Maybe that will help cut down on the risk?

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 12, 2012

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ButWhatIf posted:

Earlier someone had a question about separation anxiety and how to help combat it. I typed up a lengthy post on the subject of sep anx and treating it here. It's kind of spergy because it came directly out of my SSCS course notes, but it might be helpful.

Thank you. Hopefully by incorporating some of those ideas I can keep it from ever happening in the first place. Placing a bird feeder in view of the crate (with a shade covering it when not crate time) and keeping comings and goings low key both seem like they will be fairly simple to do.