Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
He said in the GameBanshee interview that they fortunately have some funds in case they fall short of cash near the end of the development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I would like to think, worst case scenario if they had a game 90% done they could get a publisher to invest by showing them the established fanbase and the mostly finished product in exchange for a (probably quite large) share of the profits.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AxeManiac posted:

This article is hilariously bitter, also Order of the Stick is that popular?

Popular enough that both the comic and the board-game are being sold in the hobby store here in Norway now, despite not doing so roughly four years ago.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Kharmakazy posted:

I would like to think, worst case scenario if they had a game 90% done they could get a publisher to invest by showing them the established fanbase and the mostly finished product in exchange for a (probably quite large) share of the profits.

Yeah I mean there are certainly ways to deal with it, including personally funding the remainder, or going to a publisher; but one of the great things about community funding is that you're not beholdant to those individual executives that have no interest in games at all, to make the call. In addition, the developers can spread the risk to the eventual consumers, so that they can focus on making a great game, not if they are going to be able to pay for next week's school lunch for little billy.

I'm just thinking forward to the inevitable day when the community gets hit with a big budget overrun, and 15,000 backers are infurated by what is, really, an extremely likely, and even normal, occurrence in software development. I guess it's an inevitable growing pain, but it seems to me that the global expectation for kickstarter is that 'here is your lump sum, and you WILL deliver for this amount, on budget'.

That just doesn't quite match up with reality, and I'd love to see the general gestalt be more accepting of what will inevitably be needed to get these products shipped in a finished form that we all want to see.

I really would love to see community capital projects really work, but there's a lot of real-world pain to go through before it's a mature system.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Young Freud posted:

While it's not DVD-quality, I'm surprised you didn't notice the full movie in the recommended viewing list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yUEXT0jYqXg#t=1793s

Haha, the 80s.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Unormal posted:

Yeah I mean there are certainly ways to deal with it, including personally funding the remainder, or going to a publisher; but one of the great things about community funding is that you're not beholdant to those individual executives that have no interest in games at all, to make the call. In addition, the developers can spread the risk to the eventual consumers, so that they can focus on making a great game, not if they are going to be able to pay for next week's school lunch for little billy.

I'm just thinking forward to the inevitable day when the community gets hit with a big budget overrun, and 15,000 backers are infurated by what is, really, an extremely likely, and even normal, occurrence in software development. I guess it's an inevitable growing pain, but it seems to me that the global expectation for kickstarter is that 'here is your lump sum, and you WILL deliver for this amount, on budget'.

That just doesn't quite match up with reality, and I'd love to see the general gestalt be more accepting of what will inevitably be needed to get these products shipped in a finished form that we all want to see.

I really would love to see community capital projects really work, but there's a lot of real-world pain to go through before it's a mature system.

In this case though, I think fargo has been doing this long enough that he knew he could get this game out with the 900k he was asking, and he was planning on throwing in 100k of his own money. Bringing in more than that just help ensure a higher quality game. Naturally it doesn't cost 600k more than he was asking to port it to linux, but it's a great way to get a whole other group of people investing that otherwise might not have.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Anyone try playing Wasteland on one of the Android ports of Dosbox? I'm considering getting one and playing Wasteland for the first time, but not sure if anyone has any experience with ADosBox (free) vs AnDosBox ($3.99) vs Dosbox Turbo ($2.99)

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Largepotato posted:

That's more like it, mmmm sausages.

I always loved how the party member who gets all the kills turns into a savage beast for the entire team. Our brawler was Ranger-Love, a character I still love to recreate in every game. By the end she had like 4 attacks per turn with a proton axe. When we were young we even wrote a song to her :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Help me, goons. I'm playing Wasteland (PC version, using Boxer for Mac)... how do I restart the game? I pretty much didn't know what I was doing at first, and want to start again from the beginning but no dice... I quit (with or without saving, doesn't matter) and when I boot it back up again, I'm where I last saved.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Help me, goons. I'm playing Wasteland (PC version, using Boxer for Mac)... how do I restart the game? I pretty much didn't know what I was doing at first, and want to start again from the beginning but no dice... I quit (with or without saving, doesn't matter) and when I boot it back up again, I'm where I last saved.

Re-download the disks. Every time the game asks you if you want to enter a new area it auto saves and permanently alters the game disks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Madcosby posted:

I always loved how the party member who gets all the kills turns into a savage beast for the entire team. Our brawler was Ranger-Love, a character I still love to recreate in every game. By the end she had like 4 attacks per turn with a proton axe. When we were young we even wrote a song to her :smith:

It just occurred to me that I've never played through Wasteland with anyone using melee weapons. Good enough excuse to fire it up!

As a side note, even if someone tries to play the game and just can't get into it because of the interface/it's old/whatever, at least read all of the Paragraphs. They're some of the best writing in any game, ever, and the fake ones are often hilarious.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just rerun the setup executable and select the option to re-generate the map, which erases your characters and lets you start over.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

RagingBoner posted:

Their must be some very large unrewarded donations.
Or somebody donated $100,000 instead of $10,000 but there is nothing to give for the other $90,000, or something. More likely, if this is the case, that someone like Notch gave $50,000, and then the rest could be paying for shipping.

Plus, any time anyone donated over the amount needed for a tier, it would go there, so like even the guy in this thread who donated $1,001 helped contribute $1 to that cause!

RagingBoner posted:

Edit 2: FWIW, these were my 2 ideas:

and

Those are both pretty good. I am sorry to see that somehow everything went wrong as a result of your thread. :(

bonds0097 posted:

@Quarex: I'll get things started this week, I promise. Much like you, I have academics to deal with as well. :p
You know I feel you, playa! Totally understandable, though.

Largepotato posted:

Games with PC speaker music were painful.
True, though I learned back in the day that you could make a half-way pleasant brief melody if you were willing to give it a shot (I totally """wrote the soundtrack""" to my friend's reworking of GORILLAS.BAS where if your banana hit the sun it destroyed the screen and blinked APOCALYPSE in big letters).

The game Demon Stalkers probably has the best PC Speaker music of all time, though the only YouTube video I can find of the intro cuts the song out just as it is about to get tolerable. Actually, no, Der Shovel demonstrates the glory of LucasArts PC Speaker musicians. That Secret of Monkey Island song almost sounds good!

Madcosby posted:

Ohhhh :( :(

These are the reasons we make it through the day, MadCosby.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

fookolt posted:

I've reread the article and it's still the funniest drat thing ever. I hope no game company ever dares to spring up out of exclusive Portland, Oregon [the setting for the IFC's Portlandia show from a few weeks back].

You ain't kidding, this is great stuff. The dude has to be trolling right?

"Tyr: You have no proof they brought the peanut butter"

He is making up some horrible analogies.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Re-download the disks. Every time the game asks you if you want to enter a new area it auto saves and permanently alters the game disks.

That seems overly difficult.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

It just occurred to me that I've never played through Wasteland with anyone using melee weapons. Good enough excuse to fire it up!

As a side note, even if someone tries to play the game and just can't get into it because of the interface/it's old/whatever, at least read all of the Paragraphs. They're some of the best writing in any game, ever, and the fake ones are often hilarious.

I just created a character in order to do the fill up with guns thing... and I got some kind of glitch... he started with 5 loving axes for no reason.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Kharmakazy posted:

That seems overly difficult.

Or you can just copy the "game1" and "game2" files upon first (re)downloading the game, and then copy them back to reset the game.

It's "overly difficult" because the original game had you make copies of the factory disks before playing, since there was no "save game" disk that it used. It made changes to the play disks.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HiriseSoftware posted:

It's "overly difficult" because the original game had you make copies of the factory disks before playing, since there was no "save game" disk that it used. It made changes to the play disks.

Because a 20-megabyte hard drive cost $450.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yUEXT0jYqXg#t=5140s

Radioactive Dreams is awesome. :colbert:

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

precision posted:

I never thought there was much point to using lower-end firearms. It's best to use either melee weaponry, or serious firearms. AT weaponry and energy weapons definitely count as serious; assault rifles and SMGs might. Pistols and plain rifles are rather pointless, though. You can do fine just chopping up lower-level enemies with axes or knives, which both do 3d6 damage just like pistols.

By the time you have to take on serious foes, you'll have chainsaws (6d6 damage, better than a pistol or plain rifle) or serious firearms. Pistols and plain rifles also all use ammo that can be used in heavier firearms, and there's a finite supply of ammo in the game. I'd rather not waste ammo on mutant rabbits. :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

A smug sociopath posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yUEXT0jYqXg#t=5140s

Radioactive Dreams is awesome. :colbert:

As far as B-movies go, this wasn't half bad.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

HiriseSoftware posted:

Or you can just copy the "game1" and "game2" files upon first (re)downloading the game, and then copy them back to reset the game.

So in the original, you had to use the install disk to make new game disks every time you wanted to start over?

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Kharmakazy posted:

So in the original, you had to use the install disk to make new game disks every time you wanted to start over?

That's correct! In my experience with the Apple version at least.

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 20, 2012

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kharmakazy posted:

To be fair, it only took like two minutes to make a Play Disk if you had two floppy drives. Not really a big deal compared to install times these days.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kharmakazy posted:

Welcome to gaming in the 80s!

At least it comes with an install program - Starflight didn't even do that. You had to make copies of your master disks because it also saved over the game files as you played, but if you didn't notice that line in the manual and popped your disks in to play the game - you were hosed, especially because dying in Starflight ended the entire game (often with months of work if you hadn't backed up your PLAY disks.)

niff
Jul 4, 2010

bloodynose posted:

Anyone try playing Wasteland on one of the Android ports of Dosbox? I'm considering getting one and playing Wasteland for the first time, but not sure if anyone has any experience with ADosBox (free) vs AnDosBox ($3.99) vs Dosbox Turbo ($2.99)

am about to try this out, not sure how well it's going to work..

edit: got it running, but it is very clunky with the 'mouse' control, and using the on screen keyboard (that isn't transparent!) for everything isn't the most pleasant experience. i think some of the better pay-for dosbox programs would most likely fix this issue

niff fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 20, 2012

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dammit bobby! The president never meant to kill your dog... You should have backed down. So it has come to this.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
"Good evening. Tonight, I can report to the American people and to the world that [Kharmakazy and I] have conducted an operation that killed [Bobby], the leader of [Camp Highpool's Activities Committee], and a terrorist who’s responsible for the murder of [no-one]."

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Went back through and retabulated my numbers, and there are currently 195 completely unrewarded donors, and $68,982 in completely unrewarded donations, which accounts for around 5% of all donations.

If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet I'm using, just let me know, I've got it to where you just fill in the number of backers at each level and it does the rest.

Edit: Just to clarify, the 195 unrewarded donators are the difference between what kickstarter shows as the total number of backers (at the top of the website) and the total of backers from each tier, and it's the same for the $68,982 in unrewarded donations: the difference between what kickstarter shows as the total at the top of the website and the total of donations from each tier.

Edit 2: To finalize this post as a summation of statistics, here's a bunch of other graphs: http://ruinedkingdoms.com/wasteland2/

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 21, 2012

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

RagingBoner posted:

Went back through and retabulated my numbers, and there are currently 195 completely unrewarded donors, and $68,982 in completely unrewarded donations, which accounts for around 5% of all donations.

If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet I'm using, just let me know, I've got it to where you just fill in the number of backers at each level and it does the rest.

I suspect there's a non-zero chance that there are a lot of people who didn't realize they have to manually pick a tier, and just donated thinking that if they put 50$ in the box they automatically got the 50$ reward.

Does it warn you if you don't pick something?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

RagingBoner posted:

***Above and beyond the call of duty assembling spreadsheets for us nerds.***

Thanks! Are there any economists in the thread? I wonder if there are enough kickstarter projects completed that someone like Freakonomics could delve into the numbers and glean some interesting facts.

This also has me thinking that kickstarter is a treasure trove of marketing data. Whether that's ultimately good or bad I suppose depends on who is using the data. You have thousands of people putting real money down on speculation and incentives.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Scut posted:

Thanks! Are there any economists in the thread? I wonder if there are enough kickstarter projects completed that someone like Freakonomics could delve into the numbers and glean some interesting facts.

This also has me thinking that kickstarter is a treasure trove of marketing data. Whether that's ultimately good or bad I suppose depends on who is using the data. You have thousands of people putting real money down on speculation and incentives.

I posted about this earlier, but I thought it would be nice if you could ask people to take a quick exit poll after they donate, because the info gleaned from that could help future projects.

And Fintilgin, I'll do a test donation to see if it warns you about not picking a reward.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Romney and his Republican Rangers end the labor strike by the union leader Harry.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Fintilgin posted:

I suspect there's a non-zero chance that there are a lot of people who didn't realize they have to manually pick a tier, and just donated thinking that if they put 50$ in the box they automatically got the 50$ reward.

It says "Please select a reward" if you don't choose a reward.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

RagingBoner posted:

It says "Please select a reward" if you don't choose a reward.

Well, that's a relief anyway. Imagine the hate mail Kickstarter would get if thousands of people discovered that they got nothing for their 200$ donation but 'warm fuzzies'.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Well, that's a relief anyway. Imagine the hate mail Kickstarter would get if thousands of people discovered that they got nothing for their 200$ donation but 'warm fuzzies'.

I imagine the devs would work something out in that situation :shobon:

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Peas and Rice posted:

At least it comes with an install program - Starflight didn't even do that. You had to make copies of your master disks because it also saved over the game files as you played

(Derail)
Yup! I can picture my old 3.5" disk which I made copies of endless times, which I had done nothing to advance the plot, just made a mad dash to get Class V everything and a ton of fuel and credits....

Figuring out that game, without an internet to spoil things, without any hints, just grinding it out as a high school sophomore or whatever, keeping a notepad of notes ... I mean, I don't know that it would be fun to have to do that today, but at the time, it was pure magic.
(/Derail)

Also all these screenshots of Wasteland are giving me a huge urge to play old games, instead of just waiting for the new ones.....

(EDIT: I really tried to like Mass Effect because it had such a Starflight vibe to it, but the driving-around parts killed me.... Maybe I should try again.)

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

I think most of it is international shipping costs. E.g.: I had to donate $165 for the $150 reward.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

ruro posted:

I think most of it is international shipping costs. E.g.: I had to donate $165 for the $150 reward.

$69,000 divided by $15 is 4600 people, which would assume the majority of backers getting things with shipping required (8,726 people) are overseas users.

I would guess (based on very little info, granted) about 1/4 or less are overseas backers, the rest are some genrous users kicking in an extra $10 here and there, and maybe a few large dollar donations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was kind of tempted to throw some money at the Consulting Detective restoration kickstarter. Not because the original was particularly good, it'd just be kind of cool to see what 20 year old FMV footage could look like when it didn't get the everloving gently caress compressed out of it. But between Tim Schafer and Wasteland II I've already got $80 worth of games that haven't been made yet. Even if I did, I don't think they're going to reach their goal.

• Locked thread