Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Put in my 30 bucks, we'll see what comes of it.

This got me to check on my old pledge to double fine and for some reason that pledge didn't exist anymore. Maybe I did some kind of mistake when applying, but it's been added again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nurge posted:

One thing to take into consideration is that amazon payments is bullshit and a good portion of the overseas folks (like myself) won't or can't back these, but will buy the game when it comes out. The difficulty of getting money into kickstarter funnily enough will translate into more sales once the games come out (but less money for development).

What's so bad about amazon payment? Isn't it just adding a card option like most other paysites?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

Clearly the next kickstarter needs to be a new Lemmings game. Just need to pry that IP out of Sony's grimy hands.

If you don't mind the lemmings being replaced by penguins, then might I suggest this?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

Not to mention that they won't be paying for voice actors or cut-scenes.

Which I would be fine with. Either go for great VA work or skip it entirely.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

RagingBoner posted:

Looking good!

Keeping steady around 50 bucks too, that's always nice.

Wonder if there are even any places left to advertise the kickstarter still?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Quarex posted:

This interview should be required reading for everyone everywhere. Why have none of the other interviews been this detailed?!

Well, I'd guess because he didn't want to burn any bridges that early into the project. Most other developers are probably thinking along the same lines, but then again I'm not sure this is standard practice with all publishers. At least not in regards to VA work, the bug thing is pretty common.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Smol posted:

Holy motherfucking poo poo. Let's make this happen. :swoon:

And then some, going to try and stick some more money into this if possible. Need to meet rent first.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

RagingBoner posted:

Data seems to show that it is new people, as the average donation has actually gone down from a few days ago:

Also, the donation amount spiked again during the night:

(red finger tells you where to look you dummy)

So apparently word is spreading... again.

Predicting a final big spike the day after, with slowdown for a week or so until people scrounge up the cash they've been unable/unwilling to gather so far. And of course a Last Day Pledge spike. Should be enough to hit 2.1

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If I were predicting (and so far my one crazy prediction did sort of come true regarding how donations would come in during particular days), I'd say the total would be someplace between 2.3 and 2.6 mil. You can't get me more specific than that though. And I make no promises if the guys suddenly decide to add some other content at promised goals met.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

etalian posted:

Well similar to most fan projects only a small percentage of them will have enough resources and the stars align on the production to make everything work out.

It's still a great attempt to re-try crazy PC golden age type game development with relatively small teams and the desire to try something new.

We could call it a golden year then. Or just a golden "span of time".

I just realized I've spent more money on games that might never come out than I have on actual games this entire year.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah I'm pretty disconcerted with some of the opinions voiced in that thread. I mean why does it matter how many people hop on the KS bandwagon? You can still buy your n-th franchise installment and it doesn't impede anything, quite on the contrary.

The comment I found most funny was the one insinuating that there is a limited amount of money among the KS community. If that were true wouldn't the regular model fail long time ago? Money isn't a resource of finite quantity (as long as you don't stay at home indefinitely).

Well, they're technically true, but only if you limit yourself to these current days and what disposable income people who have kickstarter accounts have already spent on other projects. I guess they're afraid of everyone being in the spot I'm in, which is that I've spent tons of money I really shouldn't on various other interesting ideas. Meaning those people wouldn't be able to justify spending something on yet another cool but uncertain idea.

Which is where we'd differ, because how can I say no to more Shadowrun?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

That is definitely true and I too would wish for them to space it at least month apart, but I think the original comment was referring to some global amount (what will happen if the money run out?).

Then we turn to Tiberium, which will not only solve all our energy problems but monetary ones as well.

Looking over my pledges now, trying to figure out which needs my money the most. This, so I can get my favorite game author onboard, or some of the many other projects I love. I know what Quarex would say, but how can I trust a man that has lived longer then the Wasteland?

Edit: Also Tufty, the funds only get transferred at the final date anyhow, that I know. Just trying to stay responsible now that I'm switching homes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Speedball posted:

Well I had my head stuck in the sand and didn't even know there was a kickstarter project about this, right until I read that Cracked article and saw that great video saying "Please give me money, none of these producers will!" I've spent too much money this month already but $15 is better than nothing (and will get me the game in a year and a half when it comes out, so...)

That's the spirit! Now to figure out which sites haven't yet been advertised on/exploited yet!

In all honesty, besides some of the larger forums, Twitter and Facebook, and places like Cracked, where would you even find people who are interested at this point? Most gaming forums already know about this project, right?

Edit: And I don't mind that the universe is moving forward, because it means there's a real sense of progression regarding stories you've partaken in. I can think of at least one more story to push things ahead at this point, and worst case scenario you can always explore stuff on the side.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Quarex posted:

For everyone who has been curious about Wasteland and what the hell and its history and everything, this page has stuff that you are not likely going to see anywhere else (I linked this in the original post, but just as a random thing at the end of a paragraph):

Wasteland Ranger Headquarters Grid

The administrator Ranger Ben definitely qualifies as one of the people whose enthusiasm and dedication to Wasteland fandom vastly surpasses my own. I have been visiting that page since about the time it started; I do not remember how many different URLs it has had over the years, but the mere fact that it does not have its own domain helps point out how long it has been around, haha. Obviously he stopped updating a few years back, though I am curious to see if he decides to go all-in for Wasteland 2 or is content to stay a snapshot of a pre-Wasteland-2-actually-existing world.

Regardless, the "Underground" page has what surely has to be the most complete list of exploits/bugs/curiosities about Wasteland that is ever going to exist: http://wasteland.rockdud.net/underground.html

Includes five walkthroughs, one of which was written for the "three-year-old adventure game Wasteland" and includes a contact link ... for the BBS the guy runs. Despite having been involved in those days, sometimes I wonder how anyone ever accomplished anything before the Web existed.

Maybe he was one of the $10,000 backers. I am sure he can totally relate to a party full of game designers. You know, I bet there is a vague chance he actually was singing about the game, but probably not.

Someone more dedicated than you? I'm not so sure I want to meet this person or he'll turn my innards into a blood sausage :(

Never heard of this site before though, I guess I can give it a look.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If it hits 2.6 I will still be technically correct! Right up until it might pass by that level.

We'll see if my next cash-infusion lets me store up some money for a rainy day/kickstarter. Already given more than I should on my budget though, and I might have to spread it around to other kickstarters I want to see done.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The rat says squee posted:

I went back through the thread and added up goon contributions. If someone didn't give an amount, I gave it a value of 15.

221 donations, totaling $15249.00, assuming AxeManiac actually didn't donate a grand. We could have had sent Quarex to the party, and had multiple shrines to Johnny Five Aces banging Dickbutt in a house with only stairs.

Maybe it's better this way.

You should be proud of yourself Quarex. I'd wager quite a bit of this money came about because of you.

42 for me. I'd have given more but there are still kickstarters out there I have to back that haven't met their goals yet :ohdear:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Occupation posted:

Please please please do this. I would fund for this, and I'm already in for 50 bucks.

Soon as my next bit of disposable income is ready, I can promise as much as well.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

What's an AMA?

Well whatever it is Brian and Chris will be doing one this Friday

https://twitter.com/!/BrianFargo/status/189785325965553665

All Mutants Allowed.

Or what Internet Explorer said.

And keeping anything SA-related less obvious sounds like a plan, as long as we don't marginalize ourselves either.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Why did I just up my pledge from 42 to 115 dollars? I can't afford this, I'm going to get kicked out of my apartment. drat you Quarex! :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

gokuesque posted:

I'm glad that's over. :colbert:

Because you can now stop wondering about how much money you're going to lose in the future? ;)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fredrik1 posted:

Does anybody have any idea how to in Highpool: start the generator? I fixed the water pressure but now I am lost.

It may be some sort of weird beta bug going on, where you have to talk at the people in charge outside about the radio. Or you just have to keep flipping the switch after re-entering the place. I know I had the same issue, thought I had more to resolve.

As for negative points, the aforementioned navigation issues (not being able to see what you ought to) and that the combat right now is very unbalanced (hopefully fixed by release). I really like the game, despite the flaws that are to be found in it and hope the polish afforded by the beta will make it shine.

Edit: Oh, and that the AI can be sorta crap, but that is probably just another beta issue.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oh hey, I thought those irradiated areas were complete and utter doom. Turns out I just needed some proper rad suits! Time to explore the rest of the content I've missed.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Drifter posted:

So perception just seems to give extra XP when you interact with various things?
Meh, I've seen worse.

Perceiving NPCs is a great source of XP. Except of course, when I realized that reloading a map meant whatever trigger was set for NPCs to have been perceived reset itself, meaning you could perceive all the NPCs all over again. Then it becomes an awesome source. Highpool (where all the juvies are alive) suddenly becomes a massive ball of XP even when you're done with the place, because you can just run into the cistern area, pop out again, run around perceiving and repeat until you're at any level you desire.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Vehementi posted:

Was anyone able to figure out the dowry quest?

I entered the building, spoke to JB, killed the bandits, and did not open the safe. She seemed happy. Then I left, went into the sewer thing and found the dowry pistol in the safe in there, and journal updated to "this seems to be her dowry, give it to her". When I go back to talk to her (after finishing everything else) she says "I'm too busy planning my perfect wedding". I opened the safe and got the note from her dad too, didn't change anything. I guess it's some beta bug?

Yep, you did that quest in the "wrong" order, where you're supposed to get that note first. Otherwise it would be hard to tell that the thing was related to the questgiver, beside the initials. It shouldn't really matter, but as you guessed, beta bug.

On another note, what level should you have charisma at? I'm not sure it has had most any effect on anything so far. Does leadership do anything in particular, either?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PirateBob posted:

Maybe I'm a total retard, but could someone tell me what skill I need to use the radio towers? I have the repeaters. Also, is toaster repair worth putting a point in? How does the skill level affect its use?

You don't need to use any skill, just set the repeaters to a quickslot and use it directly on the tower. As for toaster repair Not really. It gives you some cool extra loot in a few hidden locations but overall it is pretty useless, much like the original skill. Fun to use, especially when you find the more difficult to spot ones, but your points are better spent elsewhere.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Slo-Tek posted:

Well, got a chance to poke around at this tonight, and wow is the fog of war mechanic annoying. Unless there is a lantern I'm missing, I very much won't be looking forward to doing highpool in the live...and it doesn't bode well for the rest of it.

I assume that even if you are smartmouthed enough to say "both" if you do highpool, you are inherently locked out of saving the people at the ag complex, and vice versa?

Well the "both" option is just you noticing that both places are being hit essentially at the same time and how suspicious that is in regards to your comms-security, it doesn't grant you the ability to do anything about it. Whichever place you decide to go for transforms the other spot into a new kind of level, meaning more content to enjoy in new playthroughs, so I'm fine with it.

I'm presuming they'll try tweaking the FoW before the beta ends. Not that it is entirely awful but it has a ways to go.

Edit: A question about the Rail Nomads Camp: What's going on with Hell Razor? Who offed him and is there any way to figure that out?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 16, 2013

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

WastedJoker posted:

Awwww, I just bought this and now you're telling me pistols suck?

Pistoling is my favourite way to play :(

They're not entirely awful, but only a few pistols are worth your time, especially in this early build. Weaponsmithing can go a long way to make those dinky guns better. Or at least, I think it would, if I ever ran pistols properly.

Another question about the Rail Nomads Is there any point to grabbing Ralphy for your party besides fun factor?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, I've gotten both sides in the Rail Nomads area to Agree to peace-talks. But they both want the golden spike, what do I do? Just steal the thing myself?

Edit: And yeah Mega, you can go back once you've installed just one of the radio thingies.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 16, 2013

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

If you (spoiling early game quests for safety) save Highpool first, is there any way to find the Ag Center serum?

Yes there is, you can find it lying around in the area, so you'll be able to handle any other disasters related to that one.

Edit: What exactly is the Engineer Note about, anyway? Some sort of secret treasure to be dug up? Can't seem to decipher it.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 17, 2013

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, now that I've tried going for the other place on offer first, and I finally got that peace settlement I talked about done with, I guess there isn't much more to do but wait patiently for more stuff to do, right?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

Does anyone have a good sense of how one should distribute weapons skills among my starting peeps?

Also how important are the stats relative to the skills? I don't have a good sense of how they interact, but it seems like you can have 1 CHA and have the same effect with 3 Kiss rear end as if you had 10 CHA.

... Really, CHA seems pretty useless...

Well Cha as far as I can tell hasn't been used much in the beta areas, that might change later on in the game, as with many skills and attributes. As in, getting int over 6 is fairly useless in the beta, but might get you access to some very useful skill-caps later on.

I'd suggest two melee characters with different weapon skills, like bladed and blunt, and two of any ranged weapon skill that isn't handguns (at least in the beta, most handguns are kinda crap, their strength being in that you find tons of ammo for them). Some of the better assault and sniper rifles just tear stuff up like mad once you get past the initial offering (I'd actually advice just melee-ing the crap out of stuff until you get your first weapon upgrades because it is almost a waste of ammo with the poor damage some of the stuff you get does, unless you're in a bad spot or you feel it is worth the expenditure).

As for the importance of stats, I MAY have seen some stats affecting skills in terms of lockpicking and the like to a noticeable degree. There are caps to certain skills tied to attributes (mostly intelligence) which you will run into if some stats are especially low. Skills are king, and for most of the beta you'll probably be ok with having lower attributes than might be useful in the actual game. Like people pointed out earlier, awareness is an important stat right now, even if it isn't tied into most skills and should be raised for every character by at least 3 points. A slight increase in speed is good for melee characters but not for ranged ones unless you move them from cover to cover a lot. You'll be fine with only a slight increase in coordination for most ranged characters, maybe 1-2 points. Luck is not super important and can be skipped for most characters except some melee builds. But yeah, dump Charisma all the way down (in the beta). Keep intelligence where it is at for characters that aren't skill-centric.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Servetus posted:

Quick question for those better at playing this than I

Has anyone been able to do anything for the researchers enmeshed in the vines in the Ag Center? It says the plants need to be weakened if you're going to do anything for them, but when I went back after fixing the pumps they had all vanished.

It might be possible to find the cure and dispense it or somesuch before going for the main mission, but I'm not 100 percent sure about that.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Not sure if this has been posted, but remember the story about the E.T. Atari 2600 cartridges buried in the New Mexico desert? Apparently you can find it in Wasteland 2 as a random encounter! I haven't found it myself, but keep a shovel in your party's inventory just in case.

Source: https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/413686424697716736

Yup, found that twice, thought I might be able to throw it at that one museum guy but no such luck :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

crashdome posted:

Been sick so I put some more time in on the beta. I don't really have any big gripes with story, controls, or mechanics so far. I've beaten some of my guys on purpose to test healing and I find it oddly refreshing healing isn't easy. What I don't understand is that like others have said, you travel long distances in map mode and you seem to heal less than just walking a few yards in regular mode (if at all). Is it a bug? or am I doing something wrong?

It might just be a way to simulate hard marches not being good for health/healing, or simply a mechanic to keep you from regenerating your way through a mushroom cloud rad area.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 20, 2013

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Since that list implies both the areas that are in danger can be lost, can both on the flipside be saved?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Drifter posted:

Fallout Tactics was a pretty boss loving game. I loved it. Fallout 2 is my favorite of those three, though. I couldn't ever get into F1. I played it after F2, however, so that may be a factor.

Also, you may want to check out Divinity Original Sin, if you want to do another TBS rpg. It comes out at the end of June. There's a thread hanging out here in the forums that comes up for air every now and again. I own it through kickstarter, same with Wasteland 2. It's been hell not playing either beta, but I want to go in blind when the game is finally released. :unsmigghh:

Also, Xenonauts is finally finished and released on Steam. By all accounts it's pretty solid. The new XCOM:EU/EW is also fan-freaking-tastic, but I also want to tell you about a little game called Frozen Synapse - I play a fuckton of Chess, absolutely love it, and this game is almost as addicting. The multiplayer-by-mail style is also fabulous. It gets so tense.

Yeah, Fallout 2 was and is my absolute favorite of the bunch, Tactics was a neat tactical game in the Fallout universe, so exactly what it said on the tin. F1 just doesn't hold up to 2 by any stretch, though it isn't bad either.

Xenonauts could use something to spice up some of the ground combat after the first few missions, but it isn't bad by any means. In fact, I'd say it is really, really good!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'd easily throw down a silly amount of money if a Kickstarter for Arcanum II were to be set up today.

It'd need more than combat fixes. UI fixes, maps that aren't massive wastelands, making and sorting items and crafting better and so on. I mean, I liked it when it came out, but going back and playing it now I can understand why Avellone would be frustrated with it (even if I probably wouldn't make the mistakes he did).

Not to mention I'm already very willing to throw silly amounts of money at almost any idea these guys have going on. Even getting the top digital tier wasn't enough last time.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Quarex posted:

I now have my plane tickets and my hotel reservation. And a hot date. I am truly ready to make a fool of myself at this release party.

Actually considering I do not drink that seems exceptionally unlikely.

Thanks LotsBread. I mean, I did not exactly expect game-me to be some sort of amazing flattering depiction, but like, somehow I kind of think it is perfect that they functionally put a vaguely apocalypse-accurate version of 12-year-old me into the game. If it is possible to give your past self a heart attack, well, it has happened a half-dozen times since the Kickstarter was announced.

Oh and I should probably actually respond to your Facebook message sometime, huh.

You should drink anyway. A party without Rot Gut or Gamma Gulp Beer is no party at all.

(I've no idea what alcohol was in Wasteland 1 or 2, besides what you can give to the hobo)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

afkmacro posted:

I'm a newbie here and I'd like to know if there any particular skills to avoid like handguns maybe....

Almost all skills have some use, and you should try and spread them out within your party. Some creatures are more resistant to some types of damage, so having a party that has one person that's really great at each type of damage (at least in the earlier betas) was a really good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jastiger posted:

What happened to McQuaid?

Also, Quarex is awesome. Its because of him I know about this awesome game.

A rather nice guy to be sure. We will need to find a weaponize his Nice Guy-itude to gather more funds for all the upcoming cool projects we'll want to see succeed.

• Locked thread