Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

CommissarMega posted:

Would fists really work that well? If something can withstand a bullet, I'd doubt fists would do much more. Also I minmaxed my dudes (3 of whom are custom) so only 1 of them has a strength higher than 2 :shobon:

Well I used fists as my pistol characters were ineffective, but they had 3 strength so YMMV. Ace's wrench obliterates them [when it connects].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Awwww, I just bought this and now you're telling me pistols suck?

Pistoling is my favourite way to play :(

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So what's a good build for a party in this game so far? I have a feeling the creators think "oh you have to spend a few hours playing then start a new game with the knowledge of how you're actually supposed to build your party" is a valid approach to game systems design.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Hal_2005 posted:

The triggers for mob aggro are also not working properly. So if you are in a zone, and the mobs just randomly seem to swarm from all over the map towards you (Rangers vs. the horde of 90 dire bunnies for example). that should be fixed by next Friday. Derp.

I have to see this.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

WastedJoker posted:

Awwww, I just bought this and now you're telling me pistols suck?

Pistoling is my favourite way to play :(

They're not entirely awful, but only a few pistols are worth your time, especially in this early build. Weaponsmithing can go a long way to make those dinky guns better. Or at least, I think it would, if I ever ran pistols properly.

Another question about the Rail Nomads Is there any point to grabbing Ralphy for your party besides fun factor?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone have any tips for dealing with the Highpool roaches? Is there a way to fix the irrigation without dealing with them? Because right now, only my sniper dude and Angela are doing anything remotely resembling damage to them, everyone is getting 0's across the board.

Pay attention to how much armor they have. For high armor, low threat enemies you should squash them with melee attacks. Later in the game you'll want to be rocking energy weapons and antitank stuff to take down high armor, high threat enemies.

Here's what the HUD looks like in Beta (spoilered for sensitive eyes):

Make sure to go adventuring in the wastelands and head back to the ranger center so you can get upgraded weapons. Tearing people up with the Malakov pistol just isn't going to happen. The AK-97 on the other hand... now you're playing with powah.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 16, 2013

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Seems that injuries are not healable in this build. You have to edit your savegame to fix this.

Go to your savegame folder (C:\Users\*username*\Documents\My Games\Wasteland2\Save Games) and locate your save folder.
Open the XML (with any xml editor) and search for:
- AZ1_Status_ExplodingPod
- Wound_Leg

You will see that some of your squad members has a load of data typed out , but basicly the "healthy" persons should look like: <statusEffects></statusEffects>
So you can delete everything that is between those lines for each character.

An example of a person with the leg wound and pod infection:
<statusEffects><StatusEffectData><name>Wound_Leg</name><startTime>3156364</startTime><nextHitpointChange>0</nextHitpointChange></StatusEffectData><StatusEffectData><name>AZ1_Status_ExplodingPod</name><startTime>11885915</startTime><nextHitpointChange>11539437</nextHitpointChange></StatusEffectData></statusEffects>

An example of a healthy person:
<statusEffects></statusEffects>

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CuddleChunks posted:

Make sure to go adventuring in the wastelands and head back to the ranger center so you can get upgraded weapons. Tearing people up with the Malakov pistol just isn't going to happen. The AK-97 on the other hand... now you're playing with powah.

Wait, you can head back to the Ranger Center? I thought the main doors on that place were locked up tight until you had the radio thingies installed?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If you leave items in the trade window with a vendor and hit close they all vanish. :iiam:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, I've gotten both sides in the Rail Nomads area to Agree to peace-talks. But they both want the golden spike, what do I do? Just steal the thing myself?

Edit: And yeah Mega, you can go back once you've installed just one of the radio thingies.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 16, 2013

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

evilmiera posted:

Well, I've gotten both sides in the Rail Nomads area to Agree to peace-talks. But they both want the golden spike, what do I do? Just steal the thing myself?

The chiefs both mention the solution when you talk to them during the peace talks, but you're supposed to figure it out and type the keyword in yourself, game won't tell you.

If you do want to know, the keyword is "both" and I am lengthening this spoiler tag so it doesn't become too obvious it's a short word

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If you (spoiling early game quests for safety) save Highpool first, is there any way to find the Ag Center serum?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Yea please keep using spoilers!

I am skipping the beta so I can love the full release all the more. :love:

entendre intended

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
With so many game ending bugs the autosave really needs to be set to like 5 minutes with 3 slots or something.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

ded posted:

With so many game ending bugs the autosave really needs to be set to like 5 minutes with 3 slots or something.

Hey Mugsy, getta load a this chump who thinks a puny little autosave is gonna cut it in *this* beta!

Heh heh heh, autosave. Heh heh, good one boss.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
~hardcore~

How long it's been.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

If you (spoiling early game quests for safety) save Highpool first, is there any way to find the Ag Center serum?

Yes there is, you can find it lying around in the area, so you'll be able to handle any other disasters related to that one.

Edit: What exactly is the Engineer Note about, anyway? Some sort of secret treasure to be dug up? Can't seem to decipher it.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 17, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So my PC is not gonna be operational for a long rear end time so I'm stuck with a left over beta key.

It's a shame to waste, so if anyone is looking for a key for a ridiculous discount, send a PM.

I was really looking forward to it too :(

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's a shame to waste, so if anyone is looking for a key for a ridiculous discount, send a PM.

Why must you tempt me Disappointed Owl :argh:

The Bishop
Oct 8, 2007
The ring, Vic! Don't touch the ring!
Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So my PC is not gonna be operational for a long rear end time so I'm stuck with a left over beta key.

I can't PM, but if you've still got it, artfuldebaser @ gmail. It would find a good home.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, now that I've tried going for the other place on offer first, and I finally got that peace settlement I talked about done with, I guess there isn't much more to do but wait patiently for more stuff to do, right?

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If you only have one, don't give away your beta key because it's also the key to the full release.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

a slim pixie posted:

If you only have one, don't give away your beta key because it's also the key to the full release.

Oh, does early access buyers get the full game after the beta? Because I thought this was just a steam code for Early Access.

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Oh, does early access buyers get the full game after the beta? Because I thought this was just a steam code for Early Access.

Well yeah, that's the purpose of Early Access. No one would pay $60 to play a beta only to have to pay even more for the full release.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

a slim pixie posted:

Well yeah, that's the purpose of Early Access. No one would pay $60 to play a beta only to have to pay even more for the full release.

Guess I'm an idiot then. The price seemed weird to me, so derp.

So you pay 60 bucks for the game now, so how much are you actually paying for the beta access?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Guess I'm an idiot then. The price seemed weird to me, so derp.

So you pay 60 bucks for the game now, so how much are you actually paying for the beta access?

Well, the game was 15$ on kickstarter, and the beta was in the 55$ tier. So, presumably the released product on steam will run 25-ish, and getting into the beta cost you 40$

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Slo-Tek posted:

Well, the game was 15$ on kickstarter, and the beta was in the 55$ tier. So, presumably the released product on steam will run 25-ish, and getting into the beta cost you 40$

Oh wow, why the hell did I have a full price in my head?

Anyway, this makes sense. Thanks a bunch for breaking it down for the slower people amongst us.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Does anyone have a good sense of how one should distribute weapons skills among my starting peeps?

Also how important are the stats relative to the skills? I don't have a good sense of how they interact, but it seems like you can have 1 CHA and have the same effect with 3 Kiss rear end as if you had 10 CHA.

... Really, CHA seems pretty useless...

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

Does anyone have a good sense of how one should distribute weapons skills among my starting peeps?

Also how important are the stats relative to the skills? I don't have a good sense of how they interact, but it seems like you can have 1 CHA and have the same effect with 3 Kiss rear end as if you had 10 CHA.

... Really, CHA seems pretty useless...

Well Cha as far as I can tell hasn't been used much in the beta areas, that might change later on in the game, as with many skills and attributes. As in, getting int over 6 is fairly useless in the beta, but might get you access to some very useful skill-caps later on.

I'd suggest two melee characters with different weapon skills, like bladed and blunt, and two of any ranged weapon skill that isn't handguns (at least in the beta, most handguns are kinda crap, their strength being in that you find tons of ammo for them). Some of the better assault and sniper rifles just tear stuff up like mad once you get past the initial offering (I'd actually advice just melee-ing the crap out of stuff until you get your first weapon upgrades because it is almost a waste of ammo with the poor damage some of the stuff you get does, unless you're in a bad spot or you feel it is worth the expenditure).

As for the importance of stats, I MAY have seen some stats affecting skills in terms of lockpicking and the like to a noticeable degree. There are caps to certain skills tied to attributes (mostly intelligence) which you will run into if some stats are especially low. Skills are king, and for most of the beta you'll probably be ok with having lower attributes than might be useful in the actual game. Like people pointed out earlier, awareness is an important stat right now, even if it isn't tied into most skills and should be raised for every character by at least 3 points. A slight increase in speed is good for melee characters but not for ranged ones unless you move them from cover to cover a lot. You'll be fine with only a slight increase in coordination for most ranged characters, maybe 1-2 points. Luck is not super important and can be skipped for most characters except some melee builds. But yeah, dump Charisma all the way down (in the beta). Keep intelligence where it is at for characters that aren't skill-centric.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Quick question for those better at playing this than I

Has anyone been able to do anything for the researchers enmeshed in the vines in the Ag Center? It says the plants need to be weakened if you're going to do anything for them, but when I went back after fixing the pumps they had all vanished.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The UI is definitely a pain in the rear end, you can't reload reliably out of combat unless the gun is "up" (visible) and you hit the little icon. You can't put ammo in a gun's bandolier box unless it's the primary weapon. I wish they took a page out of Fallout/Fallout Tactic's HUD style since this one is all over the place.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Lotish posted:

Angela Deth. You can meet her right from the start if you swing left from the exit in front of the Citadel instead of leaving immediately.
Feh. I went right but never left. :doh:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Wasteland 1 question: Is there a database somewhere, or at least a guide, to all the weapons in the game with stats so I know what weapons to switch around and stuff?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Upmarket Mango posted:

Wasteland 1 question: Is there a database somewhere, or at least a guide, to all the weapons in the game with stats so I know what weapons to switch around and stuff?
I remember somewhere there is a Wiki page that has so much file dump information about Wasteland that even I never looked through it all, though now I do not remember where that was.

CuddleChunks posted:

HEY QUAREX!!!

I HEARD YOUR RADIO BROADCAST OUT IN THE WASTES!

I was roaming along, nearing the edge of the map and *bam* here comes a reference to Quarex's Video Game Emporium. WOOOO!
There is not a :siren: or :stare: large enough in the world to cover this feeling. I am glad I had a general idea of what was coming or I would be cursing myself for not discovering this in-game first.

Sort of related story: one of my wife's friends remembered that I was invited to some video game release extravaganza and asked about it this past weekend. When I mentioned that my wife had initially expressed concern/confusion that I was going to make such a huge effort to make sure to go to this, everyone else in the room, regardless of their status of video-game-fanhood, was like "dude he has to go, are you kidding?" Haha.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

From what I remember:

The M1911 is better than the 9mm pistol in every way except clip size. The semiauto carbine is better than both, and the rifle is better than the carbine. The assault rifles are basically interchangable but are both better than the semiauto rifle. The laser rifle does more damage than both of them for single-shot, but burning an AR clip on full auto does more damage than a laser rifle critical. Anti-tank rockets are obviously the highest-damage single-shot weapon in the game, but I honestly can't remember if there's any significant difference between the three types.

Take this all with a grain of salt, it was still the twentieth century the last time I played Wasteland 1.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Upmarket Mango posted:

Yes.

http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Wasteland_weapons

It doesn't include the nuances of the weapons, like the damage done with bursts and full-auto, which gets pretty tremendous. Another quirk is that apparently the "empty" damage for a weapon escalates as well depending on how advanced and powerful it is. Rifle butting someone with the AK97 does about as much damage as the Spear and an exhausted Meson Cannon does more damage than a Chainsaw.

Also, big word to the wise, you will be tempted to use the M17 carbine and M19 rifle when you start finding stocks of 7.62mm. Don't. Use them up but don't reload them. 7.62mm Clips are a finite value in the game world. You will need them for the AK-97 and the M1989A1 because the full-auto ability is a godsend in the mid-stage. In addition, the same applies especially to the Laser Pistol and Energy Packs. Energy Packs are even more rarer and it's possible to actually exhaust their supply by buying them from stores. Keep using the assault rifles up til the point you get the Laser Carbine and Laser Rifle, because those Packs will come in handy later on with the endgame guns.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Servetus posted:

Quick question for those better at playing this than I

Has anyone been able to do anything for the researchers enmeshed in the vines in the Ag Center? It says the plants need to be weakened if you're going to do anything for them, but when I went back after fixing the pumps they had all vanished.

It might be possible to find the cure and dispense it or somesuch before going for the main mission, but I'm not 100 percent sure about that.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Man this is bs.

He has no loot and I still can't get in early. :(

edit : but he is worth 500xp and does not seem to anger the other rangers outside if you kill him.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Awesome, guys, thanks for words of wisdom and link. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...
Not sure if this has been posted, but remember the story about the E.T. Atari 2600 cartridges buried in the New Mexico desert? Apparently you can find it in Wasteland 2 as a random encounter! I haven't found it myself, but keep a shovel in your party's inventory just in case.

Source: https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/413686424697716736

• Locked thread