Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

don't play a rogue on an early-expansion tlp, your damage is too reliant on good weapons and there are basically no good piercers, also you can't solo and because of the aforementioned barrier to good dps you're not going to be anyone's first or second or third pick for groups

I understand this is alleviated by poisons eventually but I don't know how long you gotta wait for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
High end rogues with endgame piercers can start competing at end of Velious or post-Ssra Luclin. More generally they get good in PoP, and are really solid by GoD.

They will never catch up to Monks, however, who are basically always good and combo really well with shamans.

For Live servers, I’d recommend Paladin, SK, Necro, Mage, or Bst for single box. Dual boxing can get wild with combos + mercs, so that’s a whole other discussion to get into.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

mfny posted:

Any further thoughts on classes, specifically ones to certainly avoid ?

Depends on which server and era you are going to. And if you are going to box or not. And what you are looking to accomplish. And what you enjoy lol.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

FranktheBank posted:

Depends on which server and era you are going to. And if you are going to box or not. And what you are looking to accomplish. And what you enjoy lol.

Live standard(non TLP) servers, no boxing.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

mfny posted:

Live standard(non TLP) servers, no boxing.

Sounds like a boring time, tbh. Would also recommend TLP especially if you want to play with other people. Or add a box so you can actually do content yourself. Class wise, solo without boxing on live EQ servers? Without you giving any info on what you want out of a class, I’ll say Necro because it is solo capable. Or SK or paladin. Have fun with mercs.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

onesixtwo posted:

Sounds like a boring time, tbh. Would also recommend TLP especially if you want to play with other people. Or add a box so you can actually do content yourself. Class wise, solo without boxing on live EQ servers? Without you giving any info on what you want out of a class, I’ll say Necro because it is solo capable. Or SK or paladin. Have fun with mercs.

I find the whole TLP and the Progression type servers thing to be hard a thing to grasp for some reason. I just dont "get" it. So that's why I say standard servers. Same thing with Boxing.. it just seems very much not how I feel i want to play a MMORPG.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mfny posted:

I find the whole TLP and the Progression type servers thing to be hard a thing to grasp for some reason. I just dont "get" it. So that's why I say standard servers. Same thing with Boxing.. it just seems very much not how I feel i want to play a MMORPG.

What’s not to get? It’s the way the game was intended to be played. With lots of people, grouping up, socializing, etc. Instead of painfully soloing over the course of 1000+ hours.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

RCarr posted:

What’s not to get? It’s the way the game was intended to be played. With lots of people, grouping up, socializing, etc. Instead of painfully soloing over the course of 1000+ hours.

Is the time and locking and gating and such I dont quite get, I have no idea why..

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If there wasn’t a time lock, every expansion would be open, and it would be identical to a live server.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I think the biggest thing people are trying to convey, the live servers are a graveyard. The only people playing there have been since '99 or whatever various expansion they started on, and they are all well beyond endgame on every character slot. Most people also box on live, because the developers flat out allow you to use tools to assist in multiboxing / automating some of the more painful aspects of playing this game solo (even with boxes).

TLPs are just a smaller portion of the gameworld released at a set amount of time. There are several TLPs currently in later expacs as mentioned, so if you are sold on Gates of Omen being your favorite stuff, start on a server with it unlocked already. Mangler is the most recent 'older' TLP in this regard, Phinny being drat near a live server at this point. Phinny itself is a ghosttown outside of what the 1-3 raiding guilds that still have people logging in weekly, because everyone that plays eq1 in 2020 is playing on TLPs over and over and over. The game sucks at high level, the most agreeable enjoyable aspects are leveling up in a group of friends and going from lovely tattered robes to SMRs and FBSS on week 1-3 of a server launch, then doing it all over again with Epic progression in kunark. You really don't want to miss out on the social aspects of this game, it's not really known for engaging gameplay, but rather it's the oldness of it that forces social interaction and a community to do things with.

But also, classic is horrendously boring as is Kunark. So i get your interest in skipping early expansions, but just really don't recommend a 'Live standard' server. Go for Mangler / Phinny. Mangler I can say has a decent population / at least one late night PST raiding guild if that is your interest down the road.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 28, 2020

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

onesixtwo posted:

I think the biggest thing people are trying to convey, the live servers are a graveyard. The only people playing there have been since '99 or whatever various expansion they started on, and they are all well beyond endgame on every character slot. Most people also box on live, because the developers flat out allow you to use tools to assist in multiboxing / automating some of the more painful aspects of playing this game solo (even with boxes).

TLPs are just a smaller portion of the gameworld released at a set amount of time. There are several TLPs currently in later expacs as mentioned, so if you are sold on Gates of Omen being your favorite stuff, start on a server with it unlocked already. Mangler is the most recent 'older' TLP in this regard, Phinny being drat near a live server at this point. Phinny itself is a ghosttown outside of what the 1-3 raiding guilds that still have people logging in weekly, because everyone that plays eq1 in 2020 is playing on TLPs over and over and over. The game sucks at high level, the most agreeable enjoyable aspects are leveling up in a group of friends and going from lovely tattered robes to SMRs and FBSS on week 1-3 of a server launch, then doing it all over again with Epic progression in kunark. You really don't want to miss out on the social aspects of this game, it's not really known for engaging gameplay, but rather it's the oldness of it that forces social interaction and a community to do things with.

But also, classic is horrendously boring as is Kunark. So i get your interest in skipping early expansions, but just really don't recommend a 'Live standard' server. Go for Mangler / Phinny. Mangler I can say has a decent population / at least one late night PST raiding guild if that is your interest down the road.

I feel like the TLP servers have an expiry date built in even more so then the Live servers do is I think what bothers me given what you have said ?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mfny posted:

I feel like the TLP servers have an expiry date built in even more so then the Live servers do is I think what bothers me given what you have said ?

I mean, 99% of people aren’t going to pick up EQ tomorrow and play it for 5 years. If you’re that hardcore about EQ, you wouldn’t be asking us any questions here. So why would you worry about the server dying X amount of years in the future?

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

mfny posted:

The thing is live servers have some quality of life changes and mercs etc. But you aren't gonna level 1-50 in lower guk like in the old days with a group camping for fbss.

So it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I really enjoyed mangler from beginning until gates of discord. I stopped playing because raiding was taking to much real life time.

Everquest to me is all about the social aspect. Like others have said it's not the greatest game it's almost to hard and by working together you can accomplish things. So playing on live isn't gonna really give you the social aspect unless you grind up to raid level and start raiding.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
I mean. Live servers are pretty light on population until you hit level 100+ content. And then it largely depends on what server you pick. Xegony, FV, and Bristlebane are the highest pop. With FV having the special rule set where just about anything besides epics can be traded.

Also: rogues do great dps in level 100+ content. Currently only necros beat rogues on raid parses in my guild.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
If you want to play Live with no boxing here is my 2 recommendations.

1) Pick literally any class, it doesn't matter, because the tank merc is going to level you for the first 70 levels. Use the time that the merc is PLing you to figure out your buttons and what they do and see if you enjoy the class.

2) Make a character on Miragul TLP. This server is unique in that every single character you ever make will start as a heroic'd character. Heroic characters are lvl 85 with a baseline set of gear/AAs. You can literally spend hours making characters, looking through their abilities/AAs. Figuring out what it one does, etc. Take it for a spin in the zone you start in (feerrot the dream) and see if you enjoy it. You wont be strong for lvl 85, but at least you can see what skills you will start getting on live.

If you are planning to dabble for a month or two, this is enough to keep you occupied until you are bored.

If you are looking to actually sink your teeth into the game then it changes a bit. If you choose to play on a live server or late-era tlp, without boxing, it will be an uphill battle. Servers are incredibly top heavy and even when people roll alts/boxes, you will blink and they'll be past you with heir high level PLs. If you are someone that enjoys complex raid mechanics, later era EQ might suit you better and it will be worth it.

mfny posted:

What kind of expiry date are you thinking of? When the server catches Live? It's not an expiry date. It's unclear what will happen to Phinny and Selo when they hit live in the next 6ish months, but your character isn't going to be erased. It's more of a goalpost than an expiration.

mfny posted:

Is the time and locking and gating and such I dont quite get, I have no idea why..

Did you play back in the day? Locking/gating was very common, albeit a tad different. I'll give you my personal anecdote on why I chose a TLP, to see if any of it resonates with you. TL;DR at the bottom.

I played from classic to DoDH back in the day. I quit before I went away to college. I came back after I settled into college and my guild was doing TSS or TBS. They told me to just hit level 75 and they would handle the rest afterwards. I went to Direwind cliffs on my monk and solo'd to 74 and quit.

I didn't touch the game until they gave out free heroics many years later. I logged in, heroic'd my monk and was instantly overwhelmed by the ability/AA bloat. I tried to solo PoTime and just felt like I was drowning trying to rotate through buttons. So I quit again.

Agnarr was announced and I read about Agents of Change and pick zones and all that and was super interested. I decided I wasn't going to raid, but I wanted to tank. I ended up going Paladin because everyone was going SK. The whole leveling was a big hit of nostalgia. I went to Blackburrow, Unrest, Guk, etc etc. And I started finding people that played near the same times and I did and just kept logging in to play with them. I eventually ended up joining a guild that had really low RA requirements. As I did Naggy/Vox for the first time in like 20 years, my nostalgia grew and I wanted to experience my one of fondest expansions, Kunark.

And the story continues on like that "wow this is what its [kinda] like being on the cutting edge in Kunark" then Velious, etc. Getting to experience all those expacs in era was very different for me. We eventually hit PoP and through a long struggle, killed Quarm. After which the server started to die because no one wanted to keep doing Quarm forever. Truth be told, I could have stopped at Agnarr and been content.

Someone I made friends with on Agnarr became a really good friend through our time there (who is on this forum as well). When Selo/Mangler was announced he convinced me to come back to EQ, to Selo, so we could experience all the expansions after PoP/LDoN at an accelerated pace. I wasn't really down for a 5+ year commitment like Mangler, but Selo sounded incredibly fun and only a 2 year lifetime. We both had the same experience with heroic/live and ability bloat. We both thought that we could better handle it if we were gradually introduced buttons as opposed to having them all dropped on you (So far, we've been right and we both enjoy the agency that we have with our buttons).

TL;DR - It's about experiencing old content in era and progressing through it, making new friends and getting a different perspective on content we did so many years ago.

Honestly, I am nostalgic for expansions like Kunark, Velious and PoP, but having played them on 2 TLPs now, I will never, ever go back. Post-level 80 EQ is an absolute blast. I have so many control and choice during combat. My class (PAL) feels so much more defined (especially from SK). The raids actually have mechanics. Just great overall, even if a few expansions suck.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
If any of what I said resonated with you, I would encourage you to try either Aradune or Mangler.

Aradune just released Kunark. Then next two expansions do not raise the level cap, 8-9 months. There is almost nothing in Kunark that is really pressing to see (Veeshan's Peak sucks). Plenty of time to catch up.

Mangler just released Omens of War. The level cap does not increase for 9 more months as well (not planned, just coincidence). Omen's raid is Anguish which will be farmed by guilds for the next 6+ months so gear shouldn't be an issue if you are patient.

The choice comes down to what era you want to see.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

when they reach live they start to get future expansions before live and you can talk in general chat to the people of the future

Aquamans Hook
Jan 29, 2005
If you’re actually looking to have an MMO experience with other people, you should absolutely start on a TLP server.

I started playing in 2000 with Kunark and was off and on through GOD. After that I would occasionally sub back in for a month or two through about 2014. Recently I decided to play again with boxing so I started back up Bertoxxulous where my characters are and the server is completely dead outside of end game. This suits me fine because I mostly want to do classic content but with the ease and quickness of modern EQ, boxing and mercs. I don’t have the time these days for the traditional grind so it’s nice to be able to blow through content that would otherwise take a real commitment.

If you’re looking to play without boxing though, live is going to be a lonely road. I’ve seen zero low level characters that aren’t being PL’d and it’s a long way to end game where there is a population. Another drawback is that the bazaar is dead for level appropriate equipment. Outside of defiant gear you’re going to need to camp any drops you need.

To echo everyone else - do yourself a favor and roll on a TLP server.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Rolled a monk and twinked him out and loved the first 40 levels, I could literally face tank everything solo and do great but now I can barely fight dark blues it sucks not sure what I'm trying to say I'm just sad

RooNe737
Sep 8, 2020
Is this game still a thing?
I'd be down to play if there still is people playing and could join the good Guild

RooNe737 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 10, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

RooNe737 posted:

I'd be down to play if there still is people playing and could join the Goon Guild

You really are trying to get the most out of that 10 bucks you spent to try to join eve goons huh

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

RooNe737 posted:

I'd be down to play if there still is people playing and could join the Goon Guild

I get the feeling not a lot of goons play, there's like less than five posts a month in this thread.

The game is still fun though, at least for me as I grew up playing it so the nostalgia is real. The newest TLP just released Kunark a couple weeks ago so the player count is ok, expect a small wait to find groups but it's still the most popular server pre end game.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
There are no goon guilds.

There are goons who have guilds and still play.

Make friends or lurk more or go back like two pages and read the last probably three times it’s been brought up.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The last video I saw for EQ1 it definitely still looked like it was back in the very early 2000s. I completely missed EQ1 because I didn't have a computer at the time, and nobody to play MMOs with anyways, I spent most of the early 00s playing either Diablo II, Warcraft III, or Starcraft. Is there anything worth getting into if you missed the boat?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 9, 2020

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

progression servers are good, if you wanna play live i'd pick either firiona vie because nearly everything is tradeable, or bristlebane because it's a normal live server with a healthy population (of intensely weird people)

if you play progression I don't have any advice on what class to play but if you play live and don't want to multibox I highly recommend playing a beastlord, they start out kinda crap but just gradually get stronger and stronger, once you're past the crap low levels your pet is an incredibly beefy tank, your dps is really good and you provide excellent utility so you can solo effectively while also being a very strong choice for all sorts of kinds of groups. the only downside is there's a bunch of group missions where the boss can't be pet tanked if anyone else is in melee range and beastlords are a melee class but there's also sixty billion shadowknights on every server and bsts synergize great with them

I let my sub lapse awhile back but last I played there was still a good amount of relevant content to do but once you get to the level cap you will gear up extremely fast and then have to start targetting really minor, really grindy upgrades to have any sort of character growth

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Checking out the TLP stuff right now I'm on the true box server aradune playing an enchanter it's pretty fun but I am thinking about switching to rizlona to bust up things with a three box.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beo posted:

Checking out the TLP stuff right now I'm on the true box server aradune playing an enchanter it's pretty fun but I am thinking about switching to rizlona to bust up things with a three box.

FWIW, Aradune allows 2 boxes, but no more than 2 boxes. Truebox just means only one EQ client per actual non-VM PC.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

I decided to four box up a new squad on live servers instead guess my nostalgia wasn't for classic.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
What server did you choose? I have a crew of 115s on FV.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

FV I started as beast/brd/war but switched to shm/war/brd/zerker. Never played warrior or zerker it's fun going melee instead of spells.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009
Was curious about EQ for a loong time but never got in. Speaking of classes, which class would be more along the line of "some utility for the group, got a chance of massive damage"? I've read through classes on wiki, yet have no clue about casters in depth. For reference, not to compare in any way these games, just to give a background, I think of the WoW shaman class when it was broken and lava crits were insane in pvp.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

That kinda describes most casters, if they are played well, honestly. Every class brings some different flavor of dps and tricks it can provide.

Mages can have a pet tank for the group, if there are no melees. This generally needs a high level mage pet in vanilla and somewhat falls off, but mage /cleric / chanter trios are silly powerful because of it and chanter pets.

Enchanters are the without a doubt single handedly most important group utility class. They also can charm mobs and be the highest dps contributor by impossible margins. Seriously. They also suck to play because of the same reason, your pet is a monster that will randomly decide to murder you.

Necros can be your puller. They can twitch mana in kunark+ to keep the other casters rolling. Necro dots are stupidly strong on long fights, and they have sick undead dps. I was a necro most recently so yeah I’m slightly biased but they are actually super powerful if the player knows what they can do with pet pulling, feign death, and just how to use all their toolkit.

Wizards I guess have the least utility. Their utility are teleports, otherwise they just destroy aoe packs and do silly high burst damage but also spend the most time sitting during pulls medding up.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

onesixtwo posted:

your pet is a monster that will randomly decide to murder you.

:hmmyes: sold

gonna watch/read up more on that, for sure

agrielaios fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 17, 2020

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
If you're not playing on a progression server, beastlord starts outputting pretty great dmg (at much higher levels) while also having utility that works well with any group composition, and a pet that tanks will complain about being better than them.

Don't bother with them on a progression server, though, because the class doesn't really start feeling like it has a purpose besides paragon of spirit and ferocity (which is a loving pain in the rear end until you get the group version at 95) until around 85+, when the quickcast nukes and strong pets can tank.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I’d also love to add Druid onto the list, because honestly Druids have spells for basically everything and are a ton of fun to play in groups or solo. But most people don’t like Druids / it’s easy to not understand how to excel on the class until you really know what role your group needs you to play / if they let you do more than try to heal as strong as a cleric.

They can do actually decent damage (super mana intensive, which leads to them bursting instead of sustain dps), they get real solid dots but the dots want to be used on rooted targets for damage bonus. They can... CC, sorta, with root, but that requires a lot more coordinating than just pushing the mez / aoe mez button on a chanter.

They also heal, but not as well as a cleric or as efficiently until velious+. They get good variety of buffs, but a cleric has better hp/ac buffs (and is in every group), and mages have better damage shield buffs (also in every group). They really are a unique class in that they are a true jack of all trades, but majority of groups will prefer a hard dps class over a druid, and likewise a cleric will always replace a cleric at most camps 30+.

Is this actually how it should work for Druids? No, but the general population on TLP servers does not think a Druid is a useful group member when there are any other casters available for dps or healers available. Shamans even get chosen over Druids because they have unique buffs. I always recruit Druids personally because it has been a favorite class of mine since vanilla eq, and it’s super good to be friends with a good Druid since they tend to be some of the friendliest players. (Or not, because they are also competent solo camp farmers for early weeks!)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The real value of a Druid is not every class is always around and available, and Druids are party glue.

Don't have a healer? Druid is your man. A cleric just entered the zone? Grab em, the druid will rotate to something else. No Enchanter? Well, here's your harmony at least. At higher levels they can evac like a wiz, etc.

Also the real value of druids is they're super good at power leveling noobs and making money off ports :cheeky:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

on live servers with that sort of criteria i'd vote beastlord but rangers are also a pretty solid choice, track can be valuable for just roaming around snagging rares people left up, they have crazy group buff cooldowns and you can aoe root everything in a cone in front of you plus really quick mob splitting on things that are rootable with the instant cast knockback root memblur they get

something I don't see a lot of people talk about on live in the current expansion is that the vast majority of the mobs (I don't think rares) are stunnable and you can very easily get a pair of stun daggers to dual wield and suddenly the tank (or pet, or ranger with a shield etc) is taking significantly reduced damage, so pretty much any class that can dual wield daggers can flex that particular utility role which includes both the aforementioned beastlords and rangers

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009
Digging through the thread and wikis, any advice on good knowledge websites to read on? Love knowledge heavy games

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

https://eqresource.com/ is good for details on rare spawns, missions, how to make class specific armor and any important quests from House of Thule onward, when I played I used it a lot for the Named Spawn Overview page for targetting rares based on what camps seemed empty because they have a map showing where everything can pop, for example here's ToV Kael's rare overview page https://tov.eqresource.com/namekaeldrakkel.php

so you wander into kael and the areas you're familiar with are camped, just run around awhile until you find a mob-dense spot with no-one around, alt-tab and check the map and now you know that Kallis Stormcaller spawns here and he drops spells, a charm and t2 tokens and for abilities he does an aoe mana-drain and a tank ac debuff

if you want older-than-HoT info, people still submit updated data to Allakhazam https://everquest.allakhazam.com/ and that has the benefit of letting you scroll down through 20 years of shitposts on some of the older stuff and then you can uncover some really weird stuff like apparently in 2014? or something around there Sleeper's Tomb accidentally reverted to it's original pre-revamped sleeper-is-sleeping state, a couple dudes stumbled across it and got to mess around for awhile, it's kind of like knowledge-spelunking because it's also interesting to check the old pages for lore characters that got revisited and seeing how right or wrong the player's theories were, like check out the original page for Mayong Mistmoore in the mob graveyard section and compare it to his reappearance in Demiplane of Blood or Solteris

as far as actual how-to-play information, there used to be good public threads on the Township Rebellion forums explaining how every class works but I'm not sure if those have been updated for ToV and there's an official EverQuest discord that occasionally has some useful information but communicating with the regulars can be tricky, the best way to get a quick answer to something is to sign in on a second account, ask the question, then 10 minutes later go back to your original account and answer it wrong and wait for a bunch of people to correct you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009
Thanks.

blatman posted:

ask the question, then 10 minutes later go back to your original account and answer it wrong and wait for a bunch of people to correct you

the good old nerd-bait, I see