Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

suuma posted:

Played EQ as a kid and kept the itch for 20 years is probably how most of us are :v:

*Raises hand*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MrSargent posted:

*Raises hand*

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

I think I’m sitting the TLPs out this year. But I’ll happily sit back with a bucket of popcorn and watch Vaniki drama unfold. Should be a hilarious clusterfuck and I hope at least one or two goons play there to provide trip reports.

My friends are wanting to roll on the new server. I’ve already told them no, which means I’ll probably end up playing on it for at least a little bit.

suuma posted:

Played EQ as a kid and kept the itch for 20 years is probably how most of us are :v:

It’s like herpes.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

EQ was actually my second mmo so it holds no real power over me now let me load up these 6 laptops and dozens of scripts to control my hobbits

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Same. If they ever launch a meridian 59 tlp I am so boned

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Solarin posted:

EQ was actually my second mmo so it holds no real power over me now let me load up these 6 laptops and dozens of scripts to control my hobbits

Jesus Christ, if there ever was a need for longer thread titles….

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Solarin posted:

Is an all hobbit group even doable? No bard, enchanter, or shaman.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Zil posted:

Five Druids with charm pets and a Cleric. :getin:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zil posted:

Yeah, you can raid with only hobbits

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zil posted:

Dessicated Halfling Mask

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Will be interesting to see if they drop level requirements for AAs - that would be kinda insane but very nice ! Bard Fade at level 50 ?

I think the 'Challenger' membership perk will be especially useful on Vaniki - can't de-level when you die. That plus resting regen should take the sting out of dying again and again on raids.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

BGrifter posted:

I think I’m sitting the TLPs out this year.

I was going to sit out as well - was forced out the last few TLPs since early Aradune with no late night PST raiding guilds - found one this time though, 830pst start. So I'm already trying to plan out my boxes, leveling path, bought a ton of KR haha. Should be fun.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is it feasible to actually solo and not multi-box on a new TLP server? Will groups just ignore you? What about a non-TLP server if I just want to see content and work through things slowly?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s definitely possible on a TLP. I’d rather have someone playing one character in my group than someone boxing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's good news. My next question is should I roll Bard or Monk? I loved my bard back in 03 but it seems they've completed removed their ability to aoe kite? Would Monk be as equally welcomed for regular group content?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Monks and Bards are both amazing and both will be highly sought after for groups.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

diapermeat posted:

I was going to sit out as well - was forced out the last few TLPs since early Aradune with no late night PST raiding guilds - found one this time though, 830pst start. So I'm already trying to plan out my boxes, leveling path, bought a ton of KR haha. Should be fun.

Awesome! I hope you have fun. The planning is as much fun as actually playing for me so I totally get this.

Hopefully we get a Mischief clone in 2023. Current Mischief is way past the point I want to play, and the lack of free trade on Yeli is enough to get me to skip a year.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Free trade and randomization is whatever to me, I’d just like a small portion of the insane amount of bonus raid loot mischief handed out to be a standard feature. Im pretty over this ‘you got 1 TA in 7 months of Plane of Time’ poo poo. Devaluing and making these items something people don’t need to pay dozens of krono for is an improvement from my pov.

I’d also like small group raiding to be rewarding in the way it ended up on mischief. They can somewhat accomplish that by adding raid currency to earlier eras

Maybe next year

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Bottom Liner posted:

That's good news. My next question is should I roll Bard or Monk? I loved my bard back in 03 but it seems they've completed removed their ability to aoe kite? Would Monk be as equally welcomed for regular group content?

Both classes are something every group will pickup at least one of. Monks you can double on, they will be the best dps at launch with the least gear invested. Or a mage but, monks are way more fun than a mage.

Aoe kiting is removed yeah, but otherwise bard ends up being the best puller with Fade AA down the line. And you can seriously never have enough bards in a raiding guild.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
If it was 2023 I’d probably be fine with Yelinak’s ruleset. It’s too close to Mischief for me to want to go back to a no free trade world yet. Random loot was fun but not essential to me.

It’s wild how people lose their minds when someone brings up free trade on the official forums. I feel bad for any dev team trying to please the frothing at the mouth psychos posting on those forums. It feels like the playerbase is split ten ways evenly all wanting something different.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Bottom Liner posted:

Is it feasible to actually solo and not multi-box on a new TLP server? Will groups just ignore you? What about a non-TLP server if I just want to see content and work through things slowly?

Yeah that’s probably the best time for it, it has a certain seasonality so to speak. On a Aradune I played that way through most of Luclin and it felt like there was a shift halfway through. Better gear started to require some raiding and raiding starts to require flagging and attendance and people burn out on that.

Plus, xp groups sort of follow a well delineated path and zone meta, which gets stale fast. The further you get into a server, the population thats staying for the long haul is going to be more amenable to boxing and you just see less people trawling for pick up groups or having need of them. I feel like this is also compounded by xp bonus events, xp pots, etc.

The XPing part of the game has lessened in importance from my perspective. It’s easier to get and you power through it faster, leaving fewer and fewer people seeking it out of any sort of need. If that’s the part of the game you enjoy it’s really only there at the beginning.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Yiggy posted:

Yeah that’s probably the best time for it, it has a certain seasonality so to speak. On a Aradune I played that way through most of Luclin and it felt like there was a shift halfway through. Better gear started to require some raiding and raiding starts to require flagging and attendance and people burn out on that.

Plus, xp groups sort of follow a well delineated path and zone meta, which gets stale fast. The further you get into a server, the population thats staying for the long haul is going to be more amenable to boxing and you just see less people trawling for pick up groups or having need of them. I feel like this is also compounded by xp bonus events, xp pots, etc.

The XPing part of the game has lessened in importance from my perspective. It’s easier to get and you power through it faster, leaving fewer and fewer people seeking it out of any sort of need. If that’s the part of the game you enjoy it’s really only there at the beginning.

the thing is ive never really gotten a chance to experience any end game content, i'm looking forward to the new TLP even if I solo most of it because almost all the midgame and later content is new to me.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I hope EQ is still around when I can retire and have time to play in like 25 years.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

RCarr posted:

I hope EQ is still around when I can retire and have time to play in like 25 years.

The emu scene will most likely still be around, hell it still gets regular updates.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

RCarr posted:

I remember having this exact thought as a teenager. “Only half a century until retirement, and then I will have enough time to play EverQuest.”

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Clockwerk posted:

I remember having this exact thought as a teenager. “Only half a century until retirement, and then I will have enough time to play EverQuest.”

Haha yep, me too.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Morons. I quit school and stopped working so I could make the time for Everquest.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Zil posted:

The emu scene will most likely still be around, hell it still gets regular updates.

i wish there were emu servers with the advanced loot thing, going from "ok all the vendor trash is set to always need and I can manually roll on valuable drops" to trying to get to a corpse before all the people in melee range kinda blows

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Node posted:

Morons. I quit school and stopped working so I could make the time for Everquest.

Pfft, I learned that you can still work and get by on 3-4 hours of sleep a night. East coast player with west coast guildies? Not a problem.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Seems kind of odd haflings can't be bards now that I think about it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I decided to start on Firiona Vie with a Bard/Beast duo. If anyone plays there or has some old stuff there they don't mind dumping on a newcomer send me a PM!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Vaniki details got posted: https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-vaniki-server-faq

AAs same level, mobs being adjusted to be effective -10 levels for spells, level requirements being bumped back 10 levels for zone entry requirements.

Still sounds weird!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Enchanters gonna have a field day

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I've been playing a SHM on FV and enjoying the heck out of it, but I've got loads of mana, ac, and various forms of regen from my Defiant gear.

any idea how high the actions per minute is for a SHM on TLP with no gear to speak of? thinking about rolling one for Vaniki but i'm a bit worried i'll have to sit and med like a normal shlub.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

cmdrk posted:

I've been playing a SHM on FV and enjoying the heck out of it, but I've got loads of mana, ac, and various forms of regen from my Defiant gear.

any idea how high the actions per minute is for a SHM on TLP with no gear to speak of? thinking about rolling one for Vaniki but i'm a bit worried i'll have to sit and med like a normal shlub.

Once you hit 29, you never stop cannibalizing. Your actions are only limited by your mana, and if you need mana, you should be cannibalizing. Once you get torpor at 60, it becomes basically the most active / involved class besides maybe bard.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yelinak FAQ is out. Two months each for Classic, Kunark, Velious and Luclin. Three months of PoP/LoY, one month of LDoN.

No last minute rule changes like free trade.

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-yelinak-server-faq

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007
I was hoping we would get an Aradune 2.0. That poo poo was really fun up through PoP. Yelinak here i come :woop:

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I am gonna roll a necro with a druid box on Yelinak. Sounds fun.

I enjoyed Mischief for awhile but the guild I ended up in was kinda lame and I got bored. Hopefully this time works out better.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

cmdrk posted:

Vaniki will be launching with increased out of combat regen rates, so I’m expecting shamans to be a bit more comfy than vanilla naked starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I’m a little surprised they’re going with two months of Classic on Yelinak. One month of Classic on Mischief was really well received from what I saw.