Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Shaman is just too good with monk to replace. Assuming you keep going enough to reach 75-80, Shm DPS goes ballistic and just keeps getting better AND you get slows AND you get insane monk buffs AND the heals become drat near Cleric tier. I don't think there's much 75+ that a monk/cleric could do that a monk/shm can't do faster, safer, and easier. Druids are the caster version and don't bring much at all to a monk other than ports.

Only downside is Shm is kinda rear end to box until you level high enough canni dancing is gone. That's also somewhere in the 65-75 range iirc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

MrTheDevious posted:

Only downside is Shm is kinda rear end to box until you level high enough canni dancing is gone. That's also somewhere in the 65-75 range iirc?

I feel like everytime I've boxed monk (albeit only to 65/PoP), the monk has just been AFK autoattack. Or any melee class besides.mknk, anyway. Shadowknight was the worst.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I feel like everytime I've boxed monk (albeit only to 65/PoP), the monk has just been AFK autoattack. Or any melee class besides.mknk, anyway. Shadowknight was the worst.

SKs are very spell intensive. I'm usually spamming spells, I take it personally when someone pulls agro off me.
If you aren't aggressively using spells on a SK and just auto attacking yeah, it's a pointless box. You won't hold agro for crap.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
SK getting the Terror line of spells early makes this somewhat trivial. Where you used to have to spam things like Darkness, lifetap, disease cloud to maintain aggro, now you can just terror, terror, terror until you get Dread Gaze.

Having 6 boxed a crew with an SK main tank at the center, I spent way less time worrying about spells on it than I did managing my healers, making sure dps was discing on cooldown, getting things slowed, etc.

Sk/Shm, Monk/Shm, Warrior/Shm aren’t chosen because they’re thrilling to play, they’re chosen because they’re dead easy and about as capable a 2 box crew as you’ll ever get. If they can’t manage it, chances are it can’t be done unless you’re exploiting charm mechanics or using kiting strategies.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Seconded. There was an era where SKs were a chore to play, but that era is long over. My SK got his first Terror at mid 20s and even Mischief-tier twinking can't surpass it. Much easier than having to worry about a warrior when you can mash one hotkey and be done on the tank

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
1 grouped the royals and a bunch of names in Chardok helping a friend for the cleric epic. Was super fun to crawl around very op

Kinda wanna do that for maybe seb or a luclin zone now hmm

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea Chardok royals is a super fun area.

I made a box cleric. Does anyone know of must have gear that I should focus on getting him ASAP? Focus effects, etc.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Depending on how far into expansions you are, velious legs for click group heal, epic, mark of karn BP.

If dark elf, snare click neck.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The inferno plate set is a good baseline to get for a cleric box. All the materials drop from plane of fire and they get farmed into the ground, so usually it’s cheaper than the other elemental plane plate sets. There’s also good rings and other junk made with elemental planes drops. Focus effects you can get either on the ornate plate set or with the ceramic crafted stuff like the ceramic water sprinkler of marr or ceramic totem of the rathe.

Cleric alt clickies I don’t know what’s really good/obtainable besides the epic. The water sprinkler of the forgiven was occasionally useful to have a pretty crappy mem blur available, and Donal’s bracer was extremely useful in the 60 era but way less in 65.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Waroduce posted:

1 grouped the royals and a bunch of names in Chardok helping a friend for the cleric epic. Was super fun to crawl around very op

Kinda wanna do that for maybe seb or a luclin zone now hmm

I think cazic thule revamp is in as soon as PoP opens up on TLP, there’s some stuff of interest in there. I’ve never messed with the raid encounters in there but I spent an eternity camping the Raptor Tooth Bauble (amazing click for priests, especially shaman/druid) and still have no clue how to spawn the thing.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Quillmane cloak or shield of striding for lev. Cloudy steel mask from Vt for invis has a painfully long click time but it’s one of the only invisible click for clerics for a bit. Not sure if they give you fabled kunark mobs this year but if they do there is an invis chest off one of the fabled royals. Later on there are tons of invis clicks but it’s slim pickings early on. Wand of the vortex from p2 time is a nice dispell click. Ele legs have mark of kings or whatever pop equivalent on them.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Now that I have ShowEQ setup I might go farm a Quillmane cloak. Is there a decent guide anywhere on how to do it?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Here again to remind the thread because the boogeyman was posted: the inny snare clicky neck is complete garbage and always has been. Do not factor that in for your cleric box or you’ll be disappointed and throw it away after roughly five or six solid attempts to find value out of it.

Awesome quest and worth doing if only for the lore and temp illusion you can carry with you for a future gag. Also, I’m a big fan of DE hide, so roll DE. But the snare neck quest reward is just not functionally useful even in level 50 content.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

If you roll a gnome or dwarf cleric, your deity quest neck clicker summons beer. I'd rather have beer than a 24% snare that breaks mez and has a 6 second cast time

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

Here again to remind the thread because the boogeyman was posted: the inny snare clicky neck is complete garbage and always has been. Do not factor that in for your cleric box or you’ll be disappointed and throw it away after roughly five or six solid attempts to find value out of it.

Awesome quest and worth doing if only for the lore and temp illusion you can carry with you for a future gag. Also, I’m a big fan of DE hide, so roll DE. But the snare neck quest reward is just not functionally useful even in level 50 content.

This is especially true for shaman!!!!! Friends never let friends troll shaman!!!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

onesixtwo posted:

It was HUGE in my glory days of PVP on Rallos Zek. The snare may have been garbage but at the time ANY snare cancelled Spirit of Wolf so it was extremely useful

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

RCarr posted:

Now that I have ShowEQ setup I might go farm a Quillmane cloak. Is there a decent guide anywhere on how to do it?

there’s decent info in the allakhazam comments for quillmane/fabled quillmane. I’d just go for the shield of striding for a cleric, it’s instant click and the camp is mindless.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Anyone actually play live and not TLP here? I'm planning on messing around with a test box crew and do the stuff I missed out on and I realized I have zero clue how to gear them nowadays past 100.

I see snowbound stuff cheap on actual live servers which I think will suffice for later since I think torment of velious is free now and I don't particularly want to spend money on a bunch of expansions when I'll probably get bored of it all before I get to sniffing distance of 120. Finding remnants of tranquility to gear before seems difficult so I guess I could do gribble hell for marks of valor for gearing past defiant but I'm not sure.

Any potential insight or tips would be appreciated. I have a bit of money and stuff to spam testcopy so as long as it isn't breaking the bank I can maybe bring some stuff over to make my life easier.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

look into conflagrant armor + weapons for 106, it's good enough to get you to 110 for snowbound + etc without wanting to pull your hair out

there's another tier of snowbound-like-stuff at 115 but I forget what it's called and the weapons cost a fortune atm

edit: what classes do you have in your box crew?

blatman fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 30, 2023

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
TBD but I'm waffling between doing 3 or 6, if it's 3 I'm probably going to do War/Clr/Brd and 3 dps mercs, although I've read mercs are still kinda poo poo and if I'm doing 3 with tools to help 6 is not exactly a large stretch. If it's 6 probably warrior/cleric/bard/wizard/berserker/??? (maybe ranger for buffs or mage for laze). I realize I could optimize that a bit more but I want to do something different and I already did a shaman and a druid so I wanted to mix it up with a cleric this time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is Isboxer still really the only game in town for multi boxing?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Stanos posted:

TBD but I'm waffling between doing 3 or 6, if it's 3 I'm probably going to do War/Clr/Brd and 3 dps mercs, although I've read mercs are still kinda poo poo and if I'm doing 3 with tools to help 6 is not exactly a large stretch. If it's 6 probably warrior/cleric/bard/wizard/berserker/??? (maybe ranger for buffs or mage for laze). I realize I could optimize that a bit more but I want to do something different and I already did a shaman and a druid so I wanted to mix it up with a cleric this time.

it's gonna take you 3 days to kill a named mob.

One PC dps + 2 merc clrs is more dps than one PC clr and 2 or 3 merc dps. And your bard is wasted because it's just gonna be singing songs for the dumb merc dps who never burn at the right time.

I'm a fan of knight + clr merc, then filling in the group with the classes you want to play. Knights cover at least half of their own healing, and are basically self sufficient in group situations. But then clerics are hot garbage at doing anything besides tank support, so a bored clr box is gonna be pretty useless. While dru and shm both have plenty of other things worth doing besides healing a tank.

If you're loving around on test, ask some of the high levels or larger guilds if they have any hookups on test copy gear.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

The testcopy guy is definitely still active. His guild on Test is Iron Bank of Bravos or something close to that. If you ask in General I'm sure they'll steer you to the right person

Medullah posted:

Is Isboxer still really the only game in town for multi boxing?

There's also HotkeyNet, but both are banned on Truebox servers, so if you're TLPing, don't bother.

https://joemultiboxer.com/ I believe is allowed, since it doesn't do input broadcasting

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Any idea whats allowed/tolerated when a server gets to relaxed-true-box status ?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I believe (but could be wrong) that "Relaxed" means you can now run up to 3 boxes on one computer, but no more. I would assume you can then use any software you want on them, including ISBoxer, since Macroquest is allowed on them as well.

I also missed one that says it works on Truebox! https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/ionbc-truebox.2463/

I haven't tried it myself, but the Redguides guys are legit and as trustworthy as you could hope for

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

I believe (but could be wrong) that "Relaxed" means you can now run up to 3 boxes on one computer, but no more. I would assume you can then use any software you want on them, including ISBoxer, since Macroquest is allowed on them as well.

I also missed one that says it works on Truebox! https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/ionbc-truebox.2463/

I haven't tried it myself, but the Redguides guys are legit and as trustworthy as you could hope for

MacroQuest is a bannable program regardless of server, flavor, and how it is used. The bans won't be immediate, but will eventually occur.

Relaxed truebox removes the single account per computer restriction. Third party applications that broadcast commands are still illegal.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

That is just not the case anymore. A deal was reached between MQ folk and Daybreak, MQ people intentionally prevent MQ from working on TLP/truebox servers, and Daybreak leaves people alone elsewhere.

Even Almar has a guide on it https://almarsguides.com/eq/gettingstarted/boxing/Macroquest2Guides/

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

MrTheDevious posted:

That is just not the case anymore. A deal was reached between MQ folk and Daybreak, MQ people intentionally prevent MQ from working on TLP/truebox servers, and Daybreak leaves people alone elsewhere.

Even Almar has a guide on it https://almarsguides.com/eq/gettingstarted/boxing/Macroquest2Guides/

I feel like there was some controversy on rizlona because they operated under assumption that as the boxing server they were safe. But they got hit with some MQ ban wave last year that hurt their population.

Was this agreement super recent?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrTheDevious posted:

There's also HotkeyNet, but both are banned on Truebox servers, so if you're TLPing, don't bother.
Is there a recent update that kills HotKeyNet? Because that was my setup and I know several people using it right now, as in I was sent screenshots of their setups this weekend with HKN driving their functionality.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They don’t care about ShowEQ and HKN. (Don’t openly talk about either in game, obviously). They will definitely ban you if you’re caught using MacroQuest or ISboxer though. That being said, there’s bot armies using both constantly so :shrug:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

that was under the old studio leadership. they’ve done several MQ2 banwaves across all servers since the new studio director took over a few years ago. There were huge forum meltdowns when those happened.

That MQ2 distribution still is flagged to not load on truebox though.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
The new not-mq2, but with all of the old utilities restored mq-alternative exists and is working on TLPs. They definitely come down hard on it’s use, including taking people’s streamed and uploaded twitch/YouTube videos as evidence and banning for it. Not me, but someone I know well who was using it.

HKN has some idiosyncrasies about it that will definitely trigger truebox code if you’re not diversifying keys and delay timers, however I’ve 3-6 boxed with it for years and never caught a suspension on it, and I haven’t always been super guarded about running my box crew around open world zones chasing nameds in ways that would get you noticed.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The truebox disconnect code is such absolute trash. I had it happen to me more often when actually trueboxing slamming on two keyboards then when straight up key broadcasting with Input Director.

Really I think 3 individual PCs with ID/HKN or AHK is way way more effective to box with compared to alt tabbing, yet they are so hyper conservative about ‘relaxed truebox’. Like it’s unleashing some ultimate power that they must carefully portion out.

Solarin fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 31, 2023

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Also on a totally different tangent: is the rat illusion on a vaniki just granted to any account that reaches level 60 on the server? Is it one per account or can you accumulate multiple claims with more 60s (as I’ve heard you can do with the other achievements). It’s a nice illusion, probably worth the short time it would take to level once mercs are available in a few months.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

RCarr posted:

They don’t care about ShowEQ and HKN. (Don’t openly talk about either in game, obviously). They will definitely ban you if you’re caught using MacroQuest or ISboxer though.

Admittedly, I've never used it, but I thought ShowEQ was like... incredibly sophisticated packet sniffing software that was effectively giving you administrator level access to things that are not exposed in the game, like what items a mob has when it spawns, etc., where as MacroQuest and such are just making it trivially easy to run multiple characters. Based on that, I'd assume it would be flipped in terms of what would be ban worthy and what would be a "we'll pretend we don't know you're running that software" type of approach. Is my understanding incorrect?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Sand Monster posted:

Admittedly, I've never used it, but I thought ShowEQ was like... incredibly sophisticated packet sniffing software that was effectively giving you administrator level access to things that are not exposed in the game, like what items a mob has when it spawns, etc., where as MacroQuest and such are just making it trivially easy to run multiple characters. Based on that, I'd assume it would be flipped in terms of what would be ban worthy and what would be a "we'll pretend we don't know you're running that software" type of approach. Is my understanding incorrect?

ShowEQ (the first one) is a Linux based packet sniffing tool, since EQ does not encrypt data you could just sniff packets and get most info about a zone fairly easily. It has a windows friend that just reads the data off the backend.

MacroQuest is exactly what you think it is. Likely more at this point. You can effectively make bots who are reading EQ memory and acting out what they need to do with minimal action.

The first one is used so much just dont talk about it in any official place. Every major guild has a few running and most TLPs are dominated to the point you can easily see 8 people running at a given spawn and we're not talking in game tracking.

HKN will get you caught if you dont put "wait" commands to space out your actions. They basically catch stuff like that by seeing 3 to 5 things happen in to short of a time.

Now if you wanna get really deep, C# can create a "keyboard" HID and can read the log fairly easily. If your truly board you can read screen data or just read EQs memory directly then send commands to EQ as a keyboard. Some guys did a setup like this on WoW a while back and made a full AI heal bot for battlegrounds.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Sand Monster posted:

ShowEQ reveals mob positions and things you’d see by looking at the mob. It overlays whatever map you have saved. It can tell you what the mob is holding but you don’t see the loot table. If you stay along for the spawn cycle it can remember spawn timers.

Macro quest is automation. It can do things like micromanage the distance your other toons are following from you so that they’re always in the hit box, eliminating positioning etc.

Personally I find macroquest more egregious. Showeq tells you things you wouldn’t normally know, in an environment where generally everyone is running it. Macroquest straight up plays the game for you. Which, to me, at that point just load up progressquest.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
On the 2023 roadmap it shows a new UI engine due in April - I'm assuming we'll finally get one that works nicely with higher resolutions without all the UI elements getting tiny other than the chatfont.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Baconroll posted:

On the 2023 roadmap it shows a new UI engine due in April - I'm assuming we'll finally get one that works nicely with higher resolutions without all the UI elements getting tiny other than the chatfont.

I heard they're writing it in Lua so we can have add-ons like wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I decided to resubscribe and buy the newest expansion, here is my thorough trip report:

its really easy