Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

BlueBottleGames posted:

:words: about helping me.

Holy crap! Freakin' typos! Thanks for changing things for me, I appreciate it! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Is there some trick to boiling water? I can make a 'tiny camp fire' fine, I have a metal pot, empty plastic bottles and some 'water' but it never gives me the option to make 'purified water' no matter what combination I try. I seem to be able to do other stuff fine, but I always die of thirst because my guy doesn't seem to want to boil anything.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Is there some trick to boiling water? I can make a 'tiny camp fire' fine, I have a metal pot, empty plastic bottles and some 'water' but it never gives me the option to make 'purified water' no matter what combination I try. I seem to be able to do other stuff fine, but I always die of thirst because my guy doesn't seem to want to boil anything.

You need to make the fire bigger by combining a big log on the tiny one.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Ah, I figured I'd need to make the fire bigger some how> Trying to combine multiple small fires and adding more twigs didn't work.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Orgone Accumulator posted:

You know it'd be kinda neat if you had the option to either surrender to a looter when in bad shape or have them be able to incapacitate you, and in both cases end up with a chance for them to just take most of your stuff and leave you alone, especially if you could encounter them again later or try to track them down to get your poo poo back.

Yeah, it would be nice if they ranged from homicidal murders, to bandits who'll rob you and leave you, to people willing to trade.

Which makes me think the game could use:

-Cannibalism. Some of them bandits want to eat you, and if you're starving, some of them start to look awfully tasty.

-Occasional friendlies you can barter with. Probably no set values, but each character encountered could want different things. One might be short on food and value it highly, another might have food and value it not at all, but be willing to trade a lot for bullets or clean water.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Any chance of pockets... I can fit my lighter anywhere!

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Xik posted:

I just tried to see how long I could survive taking all the negative traits. It went surprisingly well until I got shot by a raider by taking an unnecessary risk, serves me right.

I found that taking Myopia / Feeble along with Tracking / Nightvision as extra skills is a pretty good bet if you're planning on playing stealthily/a coward. Nightvision is extremely useful for scavenging safely and tracking lets you avoid most combat from a distance.

The best start I've found is to use Botany to distract the dogman, then use Medic to get the healing nanomachine and finally Nightvision to find a free multitool, and then leaping crazily through the window.

EDIT: Just remembered, does anyone know how to refill a lighter? I've tried holding it in a hand but the lighter gas just vanishes.

beef express fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 17, 2012

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

beef express posted:

EDIT: Just remembered, does anyone know how to refill a lighter? I've tried holding it in a hand but the lighter gas just vanishes.

I think if you take the loose lighter fluid (?!) as a stack it will go into an empty lighter.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Guns are surprisingly lovely. Shot a looter and then he brained me with a crowbar.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

beef express posted:

I found that taking Myopia / Feeble along with Tracking / Nightvision as extra skills is a pretty good bet if you're planning on playing stealthily/a coward. Nightvision is extremely useful for scavenging safely and tracking lets you avoid most combat from a distance.

The best start I've found is to use Botany to distract the dogman, then use Medic to get the healing nanomachine and finally Nightvision to find a free multitool, and then leaping crazily through the window.

You can also use Medic to dump a vat or Hide to...hide or Mechanic, Electrician, or Hacking to shut the door in his face. If you have Track you'll want to use it in the first room - it'll let you completely avoid Hatter's quest: by using the skill in his office, you'll be able to get the Detroit ID bracelet without having to go up to the lake.

Has anyone found a use for the monkey wrench? If you use a squirrel corpse with the multitool you get a piece of raw meat, but I can't figure out how to cook it (it wouldn't combine with a campfire, nor with campfire+pot+water).

I'd also be interested in knowing how to set traps for animals, if anyone's managed that. I tried twine+twig and twine+twig+branch with no luck.

e: If you hold a lighter in your hand, it'll have a spot where the fluid goes. You can combine lighters by holding one in each hand, but the max is 100 fluid per lighter (not that you'd likely need more than that).

I finished the demo - it's pretty cool, but I'm not sure I'm willing to put my cash up before it's done. It certainly looks promising, but I think I'd rather wait until the game actually exists in a more robust state before I pay money for it. I'd hate for it to be another Minecraft, where you can jerk around and do stuff, but there's no actual game. The fact that features are (sort of) being done by a pay-for-vote system makes it seem likely to me that there will be lots of time spent on an overly-complex crafting system with little in the way of actual plot. I sure do hope I'm wrong, though, because I had a lot of fun with the demo!

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 17, 2012

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

I managed to cook squirrel meat, you need a pan and sticks and fire iirc. The meat spoils really quickly though.

BlueBottleGames
Mar 16, 2012

NEO Scavenger Dev
Hello again! Just figured I'd stop by one more time before signing off for the night. Glad I did, you guys have been busy!

Re: newspapers rolling up: That's a good point. The newspapers are more of a local culture item, and not optimized for carrying. However, they are creeping their way into crafting recipes, so perhaps they should roll-up as you suggest. I'll note that in my list.

And thanks Xik for the kind words! I hope to keep an open channel with players, as I think they have some really good ideas. The only problem is keeping pace with the ideas!

@Orgone and Fintilgin, that's a really good point. I had a task earmarked to give creatures morale so they might run if injured, but it might be better to expand it into more behaviors. I'm not sure how the system will eventually look, but I've got it on my list now!

@Nation, actually pockets were on the original spec too. I just started running out of space in the UI. It's on the list as well!

About lighters, they *should* behave like other containers. So dropping a stack into the lighter's container area should work, as well as dropping the fluid directly onto the lighter while it's in a pack/bag. Alternately, using the take/drop cursor will try to find the first valid container opposite it's current position (e.g. ground->body, or body->ground).

Oh, and while trading isn't a big thing in NEO Scavenger yet, there is one place where you can trade items for cash. You have to get there first, but it can be a handy place to buy much needed items. And it restocks nightly!

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So far I'm having fun but dehydration is really messed up. I started to die of dehydration so I drank 5-6 bottles of water and it barely made a dent. I didn't have cholera either. In my next game I had to drink over 7+ bottles at once to rebound from dehydration. I was then immediately killed by a dogman who was probably following the vast trails of piss my character was leaving behind.

I like the atmosphere as well. Mystery goes a long way in these types of games. Although as one poster mentioned being able to trade or surrender items to bandits would be nice.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
I'm all for this, but I'm a giant pussy. I can't do permadeath, and would actually like to cheat a little bit. The post-apocalyptic scenario is completely underwhelmed. We have the Fallout series and... Wasteland? Turn based hexes, sign me up!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

particle409 posted:

We have the Fallout series and... Wasteland? Turn based hexes, sign me up!
Do not forget Fountain of Dreams, Bad Blood, Burntime, Scavengers of the Mutant World, 2400 A.D., Roadwar 2000, Roadwar: Europa, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and Metro 2033!

That said, all of those games that play even remotely similarly to the games you discussed were made over 20 years ago, so, yeah, this is definitely a good niche to fill.

I just decided to check Wikipedia to see if I got them all, and they suggest another like ~100 games that are post-apocalyptic, but I completely disagree with a lot of them. Kingdom Hearts? Epic Mickey? Still, I suppose Gears of War, Half-Life 2, and all the zombie games should probably count, but that is a very different feel for the apocalypse.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Quarex posted:

Do not forget Fountain of Dreams, Bad Blood, Burntime, Scavengers of the Mutant World, 2400 A.D., Roadwar 2000, Roadwar: Europa, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and Metro 2033!

That said, all of those games that play even remotely similarly to the games you discussed were made over 20 years ago, so, yeah, this is definitely a good niche to fill.

I just decided to check Wikipedia to see if I got them all, and they suggest another like ~100 games that are post-apocalyptic, but I completely disagree with a lot of them. Kingdom Hearts? Epic Mickey? Still, I suppose Gears of War, Half-Life 2, and all the zombie games should probably count, but that is a very different feel for the apocalypse.

Agreed. I want a game that makes me fight my fellow man for the remaining cans of peaches. I want to craft weapons from sign posts and car bumpers. That's what post-apocalyptic means to me. I forgot to add the STALKER series, they did add some decent post-apocalyptic stuff to the genre.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

particle409 posted:

Agreed. I want a game that makes me fight my fellow man for the remaining cans of peaches. I want to craft weapons from sign posts and car bumpers. That's what post-apocalyptic means to me. I forgot to add the STALKER series, they did add some decent post-apocalyptic stuff to the genre.

STALKER isn't really post-apocalyptic, the rest of the world outside the zone is doing fine. But the tone is really great; a lot of games set after the end aren't really about living after the apocalypse, STALKER and this game really feel like your out there, struggling to survive. It's sort of like The Road to Fallout's Mad Max.

The game is really tough, but right now Athletic/Medic/Tracking/Night Vision/Feeble/Metabolism is hilariously overpowered. You can move six hexes a turn, almost never get followed, and can get the medpack right out of the gate, plus night vision makes scavenging a lot less risky and much more rewarding. Feeble is pretty much meaningless (in the demo, at least) because you never pick up enough to weigh you down. If the permadeath is going to stay for the whole game, then I'd recommend not nerfing those skills but instead boosting the others so people have a reason to pick builds other than this one.

The only other thing I can think of right now is that thirst is too quick to set in; without the metabolism skill you spend most of the game desperately searching for water. Maybe make it so that you can run into rivers and streams that let you refill all your containers at once?

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Quarex posted:

~100 games that are post-apocalyptic,

http://www.armageddonempires.com/games/AE/armageddon_empires.html

I always wanted to try this one; and I might impulse buy it at some point when I'm bored! I've heard good things though (its more a turn based strategy card game-thing then a rpg though)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Quarex posted:

Also, World of Warcraft.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Woah, this is exactly the game I would want to make if I actually knew how to code. I can hardly believe someone is doing it!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

Also, World of Warcraft.

Hah, if we're going with that, we might as well add in Guild Wars: Prophecies.

Tried the demo, ended when a looter beat me to death while I was desperately scrabbling for water. Maybe it was a mercy kill; from reading this thread, I would've died from cholera soon anyway...

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
BlueBottleGames, my critique of this, as pretty much your average player:

-The interface is lacking when encounters/scavenging screens are involved. It feels clunky and could use streamlining, less clicking when there's literally nothing left to be done.

-Can I hide in locations? If a looter or raider is after me, and I go into the woods or a building or something, I'm not sure if I can hide or not. It'd be great if you could hide out and wait for hostiles, especially those freaky-rear end dogmen, to pass by.

-Some sort of graphic reflection of combat exchanges. My sprite turning red for a second to indicate I've been hit, or that I hit the guy, in tandem with the text on the bottom would be nice. Adding to this, some sort of more in-depth combat mechanic. It just feels like its so completely out of my hand when it comes to combat. I equip a butcher knife and still get rocked, even with melee. Maybe I'm missing something, or am just bad at this game. I know you're supposed to avoid combat, and I try to, but it just feels so hands-off.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Achmed Jones posted:

If you have Track you'll want to use it in the first room - it'll let you completely avoid Hatter's quest: by using the skill in his office, you'll be able to get the Detroit ID bracelet without having to go up to the lake.

You don't need to do that in the first room for it to be an option when you visit Hatter. So far I've seen that you can skip the quest and get the bracelet immediately by using either tracking or trapping.

Can-O-Raid posted:

STALKER isn't really post-apocalyptic, the rest of the world outside the zone is doing fine. But the tone is really great; a lot of games set after the end aren't really about living after the apocalypse, STALKER and this game really feel like your out there, struggling to survive.

The STALKER series is loving great. I'm playing through Clear Sky again at the moment actually because I never did finish the story in it. It's probably why I like this game, there is certainly that feel/atmosphere of being out there trying to do your best to survive.

Can-O-Raid posted:

The game is really tough, but right now Athletic/Medic/Tracking/Night Vision/Feeble/Metabolism is hilariously overpowered.

Some abilities do seem to give you a huge edge. I'm not sure if I would want to see them become less powerful because I get the feeling abilities would no longer matter and play-throughs wouldn't differ as much from each other. Instead I think perhaps the "free slots" you get for being human should be removed and you should be forced to take a negative trait for every ability you want.

e:

News from Blue Bottle says the postcard supporter reward is ready and looks pretty sweet:

and a save game feature to store progress locally when closing the browser is stated to be up on Monday.

Xik fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 17, 2012

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Finally managed to beat the demo a short while back, mostly through luck. drat but the game is hard, but when you actually manage to get ahead it really does rock.

Firehippo
Feb 16, 2011

Really interesting game!

As mentioned by others the UI needs some work, but it's a great idea that's been handled well so far. I'd donate to this project if it was up on Kickstarter.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Firehippo posted:

Really interesting game!

As mentioned by others the UI needs some work, but it's a great idea that's been handled well so far. I'd donate to this project if it was up on Kickstarter.

I donated ten bux for the beta and its awesome fun.

e: This is the best start I have gotten so far,

Fingers Crossed no more crippling roof collapses.

a whole buncha crows fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 17, 2012

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Are the rifle slings and scopes currently useful or are they just flavor items that don't serve a purpose yet? I also found a shopping cart to carry stuff in but that fell apart.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

Are the rifle slings and scopes currently useful or are they just flavor items that don't serve a purpose yet? I also found a shopping cart to carry stuff in but that fell apart.

Yes (details if you want them);
When you have the rifle, sling, scope, multi-tool and some bits to tie it together with you can then store your rifle on your shoulder.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

I found a shopping cart too and man, that thing is apocalyptic hobo grandeur for as long as it lasts. It's kinda weird to picture my guy sneaking stealthily around in the undergrowth with a shopping cart rattling at his back though.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

beef express posted:

I found a shopping cart too and man, that thing is apocalyptic hobo grandeur for as long as it lasts. It's kinda weird to picture my guy sneaking stealthily around in the undergrowth with a shopping cart rattling at his back though.
I was waffling over buying this while playing the demo but then I saw the screenshot of the shopping cart and I couldn't give him my money fast enough.

Sometimes I despair over how my brain works.

Been sticking with Melee/Athletic/Strong and then either Medic or Tough. Works pretty well.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

What exactly is required to make a bigger fire? I've tried using sticks with the tiny fore but that doesn't work.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Combine stick + twigs + lighter

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Branch + twigs + lighter will make a big fire...sometimes. It seems to have trouble doing it when you've made a small fire first - putting all the items on the ground in that case doesn't give the Confirm button for the combination.

P.S. A small bug for BlueBottleGames: If you try to fight the dogman in the cryo facility, if you keep clicking 'Confirm' after defeating it you keep getting injured and eventually die.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Did someone move a decimal place on the canvas backpacks? I thought it was kinda weird that my top-quality one was worth $1500

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

I was doing really well and died out of nowhere. I was well fed, eating from a vast stock of gummi bears, and drinking water every turn- as well as wearing a pair of jeans, hoodie and t-shirt. Suddenly:

"You have starved to death. You have died of dehydration. You have suffered an organ failure due to heat stroke".

What happened?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I had the same thing happen. It turns out that when I clicked on a new t-shirt, I wasnt trying it on and taking off the previous one, I was just putting it on above the other clothes I was already wearing. I basically cooked myself to death when the sun came up.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Co-sine posted:

I was doing really well and died out of nowhere. I was well fed, eating from a vast stock of gummi bears, and drinking water every turn- as well as wearing a pair of jeans, hoodie and t-shirt. Suddenly:

"You have starved to death. You have died of dehydration. You have suffered an organ failure due to heat stroke".

What happened?

Um. Don't eat so many gummi bears? Geez.

Frank Serpico
Aug 8, 2005

Oh man, it's total gridlock!!
The demo is great, and I'd pay to support this, but I can't get my account registered due to the known email issue. You should really make that your #1 priority as it is bound to hurt sales.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Hmm, found a gun and a scope, but I can't figure out how to attach them. Any advice?

Edit: Nevermind, apparently you need scope, gun, screws, and a multitool.

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borvo
Feb 1, 2009
Reading on other forums about this game, it seems that randomly dying of everything at once is a confirmed bug. You can wear up to two t-shirts at the same time but doing so will not cause you to explode like a tube of Pillsbury rolls left out in the sun.

• Locked thread