Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

I need some help: is my humor detector broken? In the Jane Jensen video, the daughter/interviewer says that Jensen wants to write games with good plots, like a novel. She clarifies that she doesn't mean some crappy beach-read, but a "serious novel," like The DaVinci Code.

Is that a joke, or does she actually think that The DaVinci Code was a serious novel? I want to say it's a joke, but they play it so incredibly straight in the video (complete with a laugh and "Well, she's not that good") that I'm just confused now :ohdear:

flamedrake posted:

It's a joke. Gabriel Knight 3 and The Da Vinci Code covered a lot of the same history and speculation about the bloodline of Jesus Christ. Except Dan Brown got there four years later and sold about 500 times as well, despite basically loving everything up.

I'm probably having too much fun :spergin: over-analyzing here, but maybe the way the joke was intended and is performed makes it work on multiple levels for both of her kinds of fans. The fans of her more complex games figure that she's making a joke and a reference to GK3; and the fans of her more casual games figure that she's referring to making a interesting mystery storyline that's deeper than her normal fare but still approachable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mutata posted:

I guess what I'm saying is, personally I can't really imagine trying to make sense of this thing from an "investing" perspective or even a "pre-order" perspective.

You're putting money into something to fund its production. The word for that is "investing". It's that simple.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Ah yes, oldschool RPG Maker. Who doesn't wish to return to the days of low-effort RPGs written by 13 year olds? Take all my money.
That's what I was thinking, I thought:

quote:

We feel that lately, RPG Maker creations have been forgotten ...
was a good thing. Where can I donate money to to keep RPG maker "creations" forgotten?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Random Stranger posted:

You're putting money into something to fund its production. The word for that is "investing". It's that simple.

I guess that's how you, personally see it!

Edit: vvv :jerkbag:

mutata fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 6, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mutata posted:

I guess that's how you, personally see it!

Well, me and the English language.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I admit I missed that rpgmaker poo poo. :v: In return, have a hilariously awful Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/548215972/devil-gene-r?ref=category

Check out that T-sh--SAMPLE SAMPLE SAMPLE SAMPLE SAMPLE SAMPLE.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

She slowly inched toward me, blade at the ready. Even though I was severely wounded she took great caution in her approach, all the while staring at me with those hate filled eyes.

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

She slowly inched toward me, blade at the ready. Even though I was severely wounded she took great caution in her approach, all the while staring at me with those hate filled eyes.

And they want it fully voiced!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Robotnik DDS posted:

And they want it fully voiced!

I hope they can find the kawaiiest voice actor ever. :allears:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Nowhere in the article does it say anything about RPG maker guys, its a joke.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Oops. Well, I'm still willing to pay money for nobody to make RPG Maker games anymore

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I only watched few of the Yogscast videos and generally like them, but that video was terrible and if it's any indication of the final game, then dear god. Also "In your face Notch!".

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

YOURFRIEND posted:

So they're making a second life game based off their youtube channel?
I just tried to Google to figure out what the hell this Yogsville thing is and I still have no idea. So, it is an ongoing show that decided it needs a game, and the game will be Minecraft but with their branding and higher-resolution graphics?

I am not saying this is a good or bad thing, I am just trying to figure it out.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Davincie posted:

Nowhere in the article does it say anything about RPG maker guys, its a joke.

Well, it IS made with Ren'Py, which is basically VisualNovelMaker. This project wants so badly to turn a 16-year-old girl's original fanfiction into a Real Japanese Visual Novel.

That makes me start speculating as to what would happen if that kind of adolescent-level creativity and consumption ended up in some kind of crazy feedback loop. Now THAT would be some drama.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Quarex posted:

I just tried to Google to figure out what the hell this Yogsville thing is and I still have no idea. So, it is an ongoing show that decided it needs a game, and the game will be Minecraft but with their branding and higher-resolution graphics?

I am not saying this is a good or bad thing, I am just trying to figure it out.

It's roughly similar to Penny Arcade and their game. The Yogscast are simply another group that gained fame and a significant community that has decided to make a game.

Edit:
As for the game itself, your guess is as good as mine. The whole Notch thing was clearly a joke, and while you can say it looks like a souped up minecraft, that is hardly indicitive of anything based on the video alone (haven't read their pitch).

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 30, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

As far as I understand its a show on youtube about World of Warcraft and Minecraft in which they apparently made their own story involving their characters between the games.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

nessin posted:

As for the game itself, your guess is as good as mine. The whole Notch thing was clearly a joke, and while you can say it looks like a souped up minecraft, that is hardly indicitive of anything based on the video alone (haven't read their pitch).

As far as I can tell, it looks like they're trying to make a good version of adventure maps in Minecraft. Backstory: a while back some people started putting together maps in Minecraft to be played through as if they were a short adventure. You know, build a town and a cave and a castle or something, and have a loose story to tie it together. Start your players at one end, and have some goal for them to reach.

The problem is that Minecraft isn't the best delivery method for this. The combat in general is pretty terrible. Any text or story that you want to impart either has to be put on wall signs that can hold about 10 words each and require many signs just for a paragraph, so you end up with literal walls of text, or you have signs that say 'read note 1' and your players have to constantly tab out and look through your files to find the text.

Doing anything that is vaguely puzzle-like in Minecraft pretty much requires you to understand how to use redstone, which is sort of like trying to design an electrical circuit out of tin cans and string. And of course since it's Minecraft, the players can always just bash a hole through any wall to bypass your puzzle, so the whole thing relies on a sort of honor system to even get any gameplay out of it. Not to mention very clunky death and respawn mechanics overall.

So if this yogs game can deliver on something similar, where people without any real programming experience can still put together a playable adventure map that can then be shared freely, I could see it actually being something pretty awesome. Time will tell, I suppose.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Random Stranger posted:

Invest: transitive verb: to commit money in order to earn a financial return.

Patronize: transitive verb: to act as patron of.

Patron: noun: a wealthy or influential supporter of an artist or writer.

We are patronizing. Not investing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Davincie posted:

As far as I understand its a show on youtube about World of Warcraft and Minecraft in which they apparently made their own story involving their characters between the games.

Kind of? The WoW stuff hasn't been a focus of their youtube channel for years. Minecraft is what made them popular. At first it was a generic "two guys loving about, playing the game as vanilla as possible." Well, nowadays there's literally hundreds or maybe thousands of people on youtube posting videos like that, but back then it was relatively novel. They were funny and got popular, and eventually some friends started loving around on their server. Building weird things, placing traps, just general trolling. They got the idea to create a little story and adventure for the Yogscast guys to go on. This was small at first but slowly turned into a massive thing. Now, each video is a big production with cutscenes, custom 3D animations, custom music, with an elaborate story and such. It's basically a giant custom adventure built within Minecraft and DMed by their friends. It's still just the Yogscast guys playing along, unawares of what's happening next, which gives the commentary an LP-ish feel.

TL;DR: They are guys who accidentally found Youtube superstardom playing Minecraft. Their big Shadow of Israphel series get 2 - 3 million views per video now, IIRC. I think they're in the top ten for most channel views in all of Youtube. They actually earn a pretty good shitload of money from ad revenue. They've made being idiots while playing video games a big business for themselves. It's the goon dream.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 7, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Found this one named Prof. Cat's Mazing Machine. Interesting puzzle, $3000 goal, got funded. More interestingly, it promised iOS copies for just $1, and I remember someone mentioning this kind of deal isn't possible due to how the Apple store works.

e: I'm the worst writer ever.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 7, 2012

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

TL;DR: They are guys who accidentally found Youtube superstardom playing Minecraft. Their big Shadow of Israphel series get 2 - 3 million views per video now, IIRC. I think they're in the top ten for most channel views in all of Youtube. They actually earn a pretty good shitload of money from ad revenue. They've made being idiots while playing video games a big business for themselves. It's the goon dream.

And they're true goons. Not like when devs just join the forums to talk about their games (which is still awesome, and I'm not decrying that in any way) but actual goons from long before they were internet famous. The YOGS in Yogscast comes from Ye Olde Goone Squade, the goon WoW guild that they all their original videos came from.

I don't know why I'm pimping them so hard here, but I do get a lot of enjoyment out of their idiotic antics, so I'd just love to see this game make it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Davincie posted:

That sounds insufferable.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Yodzilla posted:

It is.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Miijhal posted:

Oh god, Ron Paul: The Game.

And it's met its goal. That is potentially going to be released onto the world.

The level of irony here is absolutely astounding.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

It's pretty whimsical and amusing, actually. And has almost nothing to do with WoW.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So it wont be going live for at least another 2.5 weeks. but id like some feedback
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seanpollman/1298494244?token=20d8bad0

I will be meeting with a local director next week to work on our Pitch video.

and our SA thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3464522

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Lots of weird grammar, LumberingTroll, I'd get someone to go over it and fix your commas. An example:

quote:

Previous reward plus, closed beta access, and a backer supported form title.
Should be something more like:

quote:

Previous reward + closed beta access and a forum title exclusive to backers.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Count Uvula posted:

Lots of weird grammar, :

Thanks, this should be taken care of now.

Cracky
Feb 11, 2007

are you one of those guys who likes big fatties and the big fatties have got big fatty dildos in their nose and they barf and they barf and its so gross.
The Yogscast video is just poor taste.
They had a big twitter bitchfight with Notch over some bullshit that happened at Minecon and from time to time they still sneakily try to shoe in some jokes at his expense. Nothing wrong with trying to monetize your youtube views, but their announcement could use a bit more subtlety.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Cracky posted:

The Yogscast video is just poor taste.
They had a big twitter bitchfight with Notch over some bullshit that happened at Minecon and from time to time they still sneakily try to shoe in some jokes at his expense. Nothing wrong with trying to monetize your youtube views, but their announcement could use a bit more subtlety.

There wasn't a Twitter bitchfight at all. Notch went on Twitter and called them ungrateful jackasses. The Yogscast held their tongues until they released an official statement like four days later while their site was pretty much continually DDoS'd by Notch's fans who had only heard his side of the story, which was things like "THEY SWORD AT KIDS" and "THEY EXPECTED TO GET PAID."

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BobTheJanitor posted:

As far as I can tell, it looks like they're trying to make a good version of adventure maps in Minecraft.

I think this is actually a great idea, based on some of the effort people are willing to put into adventure maps. Little Big Planet + Minecraft seems like a winning combination to me. I don't watch the videos at all anymore, but the dudes themselves always seemed like decent enough fellows -- and I don't think they'll have much trouble hitting the goal. Very interested to see how this one shakes out, but I'd like to see more of the work from the actual dev studio. A lot of this stuff is easy to promise!

LumberingTroll posted:

So it wont be going live for at least another 2.5 weeks. but id like some feedback
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seanpollman/1298494244?token=20d8bad0

You need some better screenshots. At least have the ships in front of a nice looking planet instead of inside a grey box?

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I watch the Yogscast videos from time to time when they check out something unusual, like this crazy Korean MMO they have been playing lately. I've got no idea what this game they are trying to make even is, though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It seems logical to me that they'd want to try making a Minecraft clone. I'm sure they've spent some time thinking about what kind of game they would have liked Minecraft to have been.

This also has the added benefit of not putting more money in Notch's pocket every time they put out a new video.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

dvorak posted:

I watch the Yogscast videos from time to time when they check out something unusual, like this crazy Korean MMO they have been playing lately. I've got no idea what this game they are trying to make even is, though.

Yeah, and that's a definite problem. I hope they make another video, preferably updated to provide more information for people who aren't fans of their various Minecraft videos. Maybe include that with stuff that points out that they're working with a studio and not on their own, since right now it looks like just them trying to make a game if you only watch the video.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I haven't seen this posted yet so just letting you guys know that Wasteland 2 hit the 2,1 million milestone goal so now they have Chris Avellone from Obsidian on board.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Tsurupettan posted:

I admit I missed that rpgmaker poo poo. :v: In return, have a hilariously awful Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/548215972/devil-gene-r?ref=category

Check out that T-sh--SAMPLE SAMPLE SAMPLE SAMPLE SAMPLE SAMPLE.
I just can't get over the fact the character is named RAVEN BLACKHEART. It's like they went out of their way to come up with a name that epitomizes lovely fanfiction.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
It looks like the Tortured Hearts kickstarter has been adding more game info and put up a new pitch video. It's like a pitch video done by your own mother, and I can't help but feel sad at how few backers there are. The game honestly doesn't look bad, they've explained far more about it than any of the more popular kickstarters, they've given a very solid idea of what exactly the money is for, and everything about the project is just so drat earnest that I really want it to succeed. :smith:

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Just thought I would give a link and some background info on a game. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mercenary-games/vigrior-maneuver-warfare?ref=category

It looks really well constructed and I've known one of the designers since we served together in the Marines. He got out a few years ago and started working for a game designer, this is his first project with a team he branched out with after leaving the company. It already has a great design and videos previewing it. I like strategy and space shooters so I would love to see this go through even if I didn't know one of people creating it.

It's basis is geometry and basic tactical formations, so if you liked Ender's Game, you will enjoy this. It's also being made for all platforms, including android and iOS, so you can play on your phone.

Full video explaining the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Sdb2XoCjQ&feature=player_embedded

take me you ANIMAL fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I posted this in the Minecraft thread, but Notch has weighed in on the Yogscast kickstarter.