Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

emoticon posted:

Considering that all the "contortions" adventure map designers have to go through are because of a lack of a proper scripting system, you tell me what other "expertise [they would] bring to the table to make a game that fixes all those issues" would be then?

None. Try reading the part where they say they aren't the ones doing any of that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
I kinda want the Your World MMO to get funded, just so we can see how awful it turns out.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

NINbuntu 64 posted:

None. Try reading the part where they say they aren't the ones doing any of that poo poo.

That's my point? They have absolutely zero expertise to bring to the project, no matter how many adventure maps they play.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

emoticon posted:

That's my point? They have absolutely zero expertise to bring to the project, no matter how many adventure maps they play.

They're bringing in the money. That's pretty much it, from a pragmatic business perspective. The actual developers, as a bunch of unknown guys with no previous games to point to who wanted to kickstart this game would have died at 5% of their funding goal. Because they have some people who are internet famous fronting it, they've passed their halfway mark after two days.

I'm fine with that if it means a game actually gets made and released.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Whack posted:

I kinda want the Your World MMO to get funded, just so we can see how awful it turns out.

It wouldn't turn out at all, probably. Whatever chinese sweatshop he hires would either bail on him and take his money or run out of money before they implement half the features, killing the project.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

emoticon posted:

Aside from the money, as BobTheJanitor listed, they bring a pre-established community and a brand name to the project. Granted that isn't always a good thing, but it usually is a positive.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I'm pretty sure emoticon's point still stands. They don't bring any expertise from a management, business, or technical perspective and are apparently raising the money they need. How is this any different from the Your World millionaire who can easily fund his game but will never succeed in making it because he has no management or business experience or technical experience? Having an established brand or fanbase doesn't make producing something and managing a project one iota easier.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Seashell Salesman posted:

I'm pretty sure emoticon's point still stands. They don't bring any expertise from a management, business, or technical perspective and are apparently raising the money they need. How is this any different from the Your World millionaire who can easily fund his game but will never succeed in making it because he has no management or business experience or technical experience? Having an established brand or fanbase doesn't make producing something and managing a project one iota easier.

I actually typed out four different messages trying to reply to this and I still don't have a good answer. I mean, you mentioned they have no management or business expertise, and yet they've been successfully running and managing a business for a few years now. I agree that they COULD be doing absolutely nothing for the project beyond bringing the money, although they're providing marketing by just attaching their name to the project so they're doing something no matter how you slice it. I'm confused as to whether you believe they're legitimately doing nothing for the project or whether you're honestly confused as to what is involved in running a business (any business) to where you think there is nothing they could do because they're not game developers/designers.

nessin fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 9, 2012

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Think of it like celebrity perfumes, the celebrity gives an idea of what scent they want and then the grunt work is done by other people who check in occasionally to okay changes and the design of the bottle. The celebrity gets to dip their hand into design while the actual company making it uses the brand of the celebrity to increase sales. It might even be that a perfume company has a scent they want to launch but can't gain traction of more established perfume brands so they approach the celebrity for an endorsement and branding deal.

As a celebrity, you don't need to have experience in making perfume because you're doing minuscule changes around the edges of a design made and managed by other people. I assume it's the same case with Yogventures.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Occupation posted:

I don't think that case exists. I cannot think of one single instance in any videogame, ever, where this is true.

And I mean, it just makes sense. Why would a developer spend all of that loving time developing a whole new level/character/etc that only a minority of their audience would be able to see. And in the few cases where the developer does do such a thing (closest case I can think of is, again, the Prothean in ME3), why wouldn't they monetize it to make the extra cash?
There's hundreds of examples of this, actually, but it's almost exclusively character skins. (Check out my preorder-exclusive Serious Sam HD MP Ugh-Zan skin, scrublord.)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

nessin posted:

I actually typed out four different messages trying to reply to this and I still don't have a good answer. I mean, you mentioned they have no management or business expertise, and yet they've been successfully running and managing a business for a few years now. I agree that they COULD be doing absolutely nothing for the project beyond bringing the money, although they're providing marketing by just attaching their name to the project so they're doing something no matter how you slice it.
On the contrary, I never denied they bring some sort of notoriety to the project.

quote:

I'm confused as to whether you believe they're legitimately doing nothing for the project or whether you're honestly confused as to what is involved in running a business (any business) to where you think there is nothing they could do because they're not game developers/designers.
This comes off as a non sequitur. Having a youtube channel is no kind of proof that you are a natural project manager or businessman. It's also no indication that you are a software engineer. You already knew my opinion is that they bring a fanbase with them to the deal.

fez_machine posted:

Think of it like celebrity perfumes[...]
This was, and remains, my point. What I said was it is the same as the Your World guy, ie. random scrub with means to fund project has a vision.

Niggard of Oz
Jan 24, 2011

It's a NIGGER joke,
You Faggot's!
I'm thinking of using Kickstarter.com to fund the development of my new website. My website's entire purpose is to compete with Kickstarter.com.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

This was, and remains, my point. What I said was it is the same as the Your World guy, ie. random scrub with means to fund project has a vision.

You're making a bad comparison, the Your World guy wants to be a project director as he has a complete design of what he wants to do (as unworkable as it may be).

The Yogscast guys are lending a name to a project and are consulting on making "minecraft except with better tools for adventure maps". The difference is between a general direction for a design to follow (generalised expectations can be very useful for placing the boundaries of a project) and an ill thought out list of desires.

The advantage they have over both Your World and celebrity perfumers is that they have quite a bit of first-hand knowledge about making a good adventure map. Remember that Simon and Lewis are not the totality of the Yogscast, they have a team who work on making Shadows of Israphael. As well as general community members who submit their own work for them to play.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 9, 2012

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

e: never mind. Time will tell whether these `ideas men' can make good.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 9, 2012

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

quakster posted:

There's hundreds of examples of this, actually, but it's almost exclusively character skins. (Check out my preorder-exclusive Serious Sam HD MP Ugh-Zan skin, scrublord.)

I may have been unclear- I meant additions "that grant exclusive in-game additions (assuming they're more than Boots of +1) that no one else can ever acquire". Character skins don't, in my opinion, really cover that case.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
:siren: ATTENTION ALL GAMING KICKSTARTERS : STOP STARTING YOUR PITCH VIDEO WITH A GUY HAVING A FAKE PHONECALL:siren:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

:siren: ATTENTION ALL GAMING KICKSTARTERS : STOP STARTING YOUR PITCH VIDEO WITH A GUY HAVING A FAKE PHONECALL:siren:

I reserve the right to open mine reading a book because god loving damnit I have a copy of "How To Master The Video Games" and there's no way that the level of knowledge that will impart won't bring me in some extra pledges.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Why hello there, I didn't see you come in.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

"I saw you there, but I missed my cue to start. We'll fix this in editing.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Al lowe unironically did this, the lovable old coot.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

the black husserl posted:

Al lowe unironically did this, the lovable old coot.

I'm not going to fund the project, but I can't stop watching that video. :allears:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

He's a fine gent, I'll give you that. It's still the 90's for Mr Al, bless his soul.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

Tim Schafer is the only one who pulled this off well.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, I apparently never actually watched the Leisure Suit Larry reboot video. Al Lowe looks exactly the same as he has been depicted in gaming journalism since the 1980s. Good for him!

Also he apparently lives in the Seattle area like 50% of all oldschool game designers, clearly he does live comedy that I can go watch . ... wait what if he does, then I would be obligated to actually go oh no

Edit: Selling more hint books than copies of the game may be the greatest random "this is how it was for DOS gaming" summary. I was an anomaly amongst my friends in that I had my parents buy me games instead of having a creepy uncle who just had thousands of pirated copies of every game like all the rest of my friends did.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 9, 2012

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Wait, so the scourge of piracy is basically a really old thing? It didn't kill PC gaming? Good to know.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yup, piracy's been around for a long while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Wait, so the scourge of piracy is basically a really old thing? It didn't kill PC gaming? Good to know.

Readily available, inexpensive, easy to understand, instantly configured hardware was what did a real number on PC gaming. Piracy is just what companies blamed due to being unable to properly adapt to a changing market.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Business models that succeed despite piracy (or even thanks to it) are also nothing new, if that anecdote about selling more strategy guides than games is true.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Doc Hawkins posted:

Business models that succeed despite piracy (or even thanks to it) are also nothing new, if that anecdote about selling more strategy guides than games is true.

Business models involving new technology and not something invented in the 70's tend to do the trick.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Of course. People have been stealing cable using illegal set top boxes for years, and exchanging floppies, shaky cam video tapes, cassette tapes. Piracy is as old as media itself.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Piracy is super old and also a super lovely derail, and no amount of posts is going to change that.

Also I haven't actually watched any of the videos before, and Tim and Al's are both amusing - do more people have amusing kickstarter videos?

I don't really care about the projects I just want to see game developers say funny things.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Sigma-X posted:

Piracy is super old and also a super lovely derail, and no amount of posts is going to change that.

Also I haven't actually watched any of the videos before, and Tim and Al's are both amusing - do more people have amusing kickstarter videos?

I don't really care about the projects I just want to see game developers say funny things.

The Wasteland 2 videos are all really funny.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

randombattle posted:

The Wasteland 2 videos are all really funny.

Lies! The first one was amusing though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Shadowrun has a fun, sincere one.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So if I understood that developer blog properly, Yogventures is a Unity game with a bunch of 3rd party plugins, the rest being coded by an animation rigger who started learning XNA a year ago. With his friends donating art assets in their spare time. And the Yogs crew providing "Creative Direction". This got 70% funded in two days?

Where's the pot for first big-name project to take the kickstarter money utterly fail to deliver? This isn't going to sink their brand, it's going to implode it like a singularity. :toot:

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 10, 2012

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Rime posted:

So if I understood that developer blog properly, Yogventures is a Unity game with a bunch of 3rd party plugins, the rest being coded by an animation rigger who started learning XNA a year ago. With his friends donating art assets in their spare time. And the Yogs crew providing "Creative Direction". This got 70% funded in two days?

Where's the pot for first big-name project to take the kickstarter money utterly fail to deliver? This isn't going to sink their brand, it's going to implode it like a singularity. :toot:

I think it'll be an indie getting in on the hype, something like the Yog thing. The only reason I say that is I can see a "named" developer with a project that just needed more time or something having an easier time seeking outside, non-kickstarter funding if they run out of money compared to a random indie game by someone no one ever heard of. Most of the developers with actual know how seem to have an scope (with the exception of the hardcore tactical shooterTAKEDOWN guy(s)).

I could see this Yogsventure thing being it. My prediction is that it's an utter failure but they spin off the assets into a mod for Minecraft and then spin that into some kind of kick starter success.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 10, 2012

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Rime posted:

:ssh: No criticizing kickstarters here!

But yeah, you're right. While a lot of smaller projects that have gotten funded are obviously going to crash and burn, this may be the first big videogame kickstarter that will be a massive failure.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Most of them are pretty to the point, which is a blessing and a curse. The bigger, recent ones have been pretty self-aware though and that's always good to see.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rime posted:

He said he's going to hire an actual team, though. He specifically mentioned that at the very least they're going to get a dedicated programmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He said he's going to hire an actual team, though. He specifically mentioned that at the very least they're going to get a dedicated programmer.

And there's really no shortage of Unity and Unity extension devs right now either. Its ease of use and low price-point have kinda made it an indie darling. It's kinda good and bad like that since it's far more robust than it seems at first glance (though not AAA title robust) but people tend to overestimate it.

I've been working with it for about a year and a bit now and I've come to terms with its limitations and abilities and nothing Yogventures! is proposing is out of reach for it. I even saw a very smooth rolling cubes terrain deformation demo that I'm trying to dig up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjno-UhTN0s

Well, here's one, at least. Not the one I saw, but the same basic idea.

edit: I'm not saying that they're absolutely qualified to be in this position, but a lot of people are underestimating the project to a pretty severe degree.

edit 2: I'm a moron and couldn't find it because it's called MARCHING cubes, not ROLLING cubes.

https://vimeo.com/19935806

NINbuntu 64 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 10, 2012