Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Old School RPG updated and while I still have my doubts about them pulling it off they're doing a decent, if slow, job of saying the right things now. I don't know if they can overcome the rough start and in particular the two games for one goal seems out of reach, but I hope so.

Confirmation that this is pretty much a spiritual sequel to Wizardry:

Why couldn't they have put this stuff up when they started the kickstarter?

Yeah, they really should've put a bit more info in at the start. I really hope this one makes it over the line (and I've backed it) because I spent a ridiculous amount of time playing Wizardry 8, and if this is the closest thing we get to a sequel then I'll take it. I kind of think it's gonna struggle, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Quarex posted:

Old School RPG now has a name ("Shaker," I am not entirely sure that is an improvement over "Old School RPG" but you know), and a new $125 tier with a boxed copy, cloth map, METAL DOG TAG, IN-GAME SOMETHING-OR-OTHER, WOOOOOO

I actually dropped my pledge down to that from $250 because all I wanted was the cloth map

Either way it's probably not gonna reach its goal I reckon.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilaliens/orbitor

Here's a somewhat interesting looking space action adventurey game. Appears to be nearing the end of its run and struggling to get close to what it needs, which is a shame because the concept seems kind of neat. The game itself appears to be almost finished, apparently they're just kickstarting for things like licensing costs and stuff that I don't really understand.

Also they're based in the same city as me so I kind of want success for them on that basis.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Orzo posted:

On another note, Mak has 2 hours left, and has failed to get much beyond 10% of its goal. What do you think happened on that one? I think it looked pretty decent, and the videos demonstrated that yes, there was an actual game that was in development.

So much of what Mak is looked really neat, but it also looked really tedious.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Drifter posted:

I don't understand your dislike here. It's Kickstarter, which provides a way for people to support something they want to help succeed. Luckily, these guys have an amount of something that they can afford to give as a "pledge prize" to people who can afford it. It's the same reason you buy chocolate bars for your friend's daughter through her school fundraiser for a buck a pop instead of at the supermarket for 2 for a dollar.

I feel like your argument towards this is not related to the particular item. I won't pretend to know the actual cause, but I know I've been frustrated at times with other kickstarters when they don't seem to be updating in informational or developmental ways, but it's really all directed as a way to make money, so why begrudge them the opportunity if someone is willing to pay?

Yeah I'm not really sure what the proposed correct action to take is when faced with a bunch of gifted mice, if the correct answer is not 'use those mice to hopefully get more pledges.'

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Quarex posted:

I eagerly await how people are going to react to this:

http://www.ouya.tv/dev-consoles-are-shipping-on-time/

I didn't realise how tiny those things were.

I kinda like it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Al! posted:

My desire to back a project is inversely proportional to the number of times they describe it as "steampunk." Besides, everyone knows the best cruise ships were art deco anyway.

So basically, you back every project that is not Steampunk.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

Also, this is a spergy nitpicky complaint, but I always hated the keyword system Fallout and Wasteland used, you shouldn't hide dialogue behind words that I need to type and come up with, this is not 1980 and there's no reason for it. I bought the game and would appreciate having the opportunity to get to read all the cool dialogue without having to type-search for it.

Actually totally agree with this one, I hate that system of dialogue. Hate having to take notes to figure out how to get all the information that my character should be doing all the note taking for.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If it turned out that the extra gender option basically meant we get two different stories, that would own.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If we're talking about remakes we'd like to see Kickstarted, I'll go with Sony either doing something with Lemmings other than remaking the original on their next console, or giving the license away to someone who will make something with it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

miguelito posted:

But what can you make with it?
Lemmings 2 expanded on the 2D game with lots and lots of job bloat, Lemmings 3D was garbage and Pikmin already exists.

Lemmings 2 owned and I'll happily take a Lemmings 3 that does exactly the same.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

They launched a kickstarter within a week of Sim City's release. That is, at most, how long they have been planning this.

EDIT: Never heard of Brandon Smith, can't find anything on Google about anything else he's done, and no one else's name is mentioned. There are 'a team of us' from 'various studios' but no names of team members or studios they worked for. Nowhere on that Kickstarter page is any link to a company website or even a Facebook page. The Kickstarter language is full of 'down with evil publishers' rhetoric that is sure to fire up disgruntled people who are regretting their Sim City purchase.

Scam. Definitely a scam.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 8, 2013

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

neongrey posted:

Why exactly does this mean that he should use personal funds for a company project, that he's not entitled to be paid a salary for the time he's working on the project, or that he's got no right to gauge interest in a far more concret fashion than people just saying they'd buy a thing?

Most previous Kickstarters worked on the premise of 'we can't afford to make this without using Kickstarter because we can't get the money from publishers'. It's not a case of whether he's 'entitled' to gauge interest, it's just that with most other Kickstarters it's been a case of us throwing money at people because that's literally the only way the game will be made. Because this is not the case with Garriot, it feels like a cynical way to transfer the financial risk of game making from him, the person who stands to make heaps of money from the game, to us, the people who stand to get the opportunity to play a game.

Having said that, if the game looked like Ultima 7 part 3 I wouldn't have cared about any of that, I would've opened my wallet in his direction.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Occupation posted:

Except not because the publisher/developer model is a completely different business model than the TV creator/studio model also the kid executive in the Torment video is an exaggerated strawman created by an unfunny dude to express his rage against The MachineTM.

My understanding is that it was less a strawman and more a thing that actually literally happened.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I only watched about 30 seconds of that video, but in that 30 seconds he claimed that the only thing he took issue with was that she has disabled comments and ratings on her video. That must've been a really big issue for him to spend another eight and a half minutes on it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jedit posted:

I didn't back them because they're shitheads cashing in on nostalgia for a great game which they had gently caress all to do with the creation of and which has gently caress all to do with this game.

A number of people working on Torment: Tides of Numenera had significant roles in making Planescape: Torment, as you would no doubt know if you had looked into this even a little bit.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Doing a second Kickstarter allowed them to not fire a large percentage of their staff. So, maybe not such a dick move?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Also, while InXile may not have done much as a company, (no, I'm not counting the Bard's Tale remake thing as indicative of their ability to make a good RPG) a lot of the individual people involved in this game have.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Jagged Alliance Flashback's Kickstarter recently announced that anyone who backs at $5 or higher will get free copies of JA1+expansion and JA2+expannsion from the Humble Bundle guys. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback

The project looks pretty troubled right now, unfortunately. There just doesn't seem to be as much enthusiasm or nostalgia for Jagged Alliance as they expected, or maybe BiA killed off any remaining goodwill, which is unfortunate since this is completely different from different people. If the project succeeds, it will just barely scrape through.

edit: Here are some words of a BitComposer employee about the nature of their relationship with Full Control, reposted from our JA2 thread, where it was reposted from RPGCodex, I guess:

And a quote from Kevin Saunders, writer for NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir, and now writer for Torment.

All impressions I've seen of Space Hulk in the press have been extremely positive, so if nothing else, I'm really looking forward to that. Maybe these guys should have waited until that was released before going to Kickstarter with this. Although that may not be the most realistic option from a business standpoint.

Support from other devs will do wonders, because it's just convinced me that I should back this.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I wasn't gonna back Stonehearth because for some reason I got the impression it was some Minecrafty sandbox thing but now that I actually had more of a loot it looks more kind of like the Settlers maybe and I think I'll back it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Well sure it's referred to as a donation, but...

"Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?
Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) We crafted these terms to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill."

That seems like a slightly different dynamic to a donation.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Drifter posted:

What about it, specifically, do you like? From the trailer the writing looks poor.

The idea seems neat, I'll grant you.

I backed it because I'm dumb and the idea of throwing money at obscure indie devs based in India appeals to me for some dumb reason. I don't even intend to play the game when it comes out, really.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I am going to back that game because it looks kind of cool and cheap and he seems like a cool dude.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I mentioned that I wasn't sure about upping my pledge, but I did raise it to the two beta copies level a few days ago. In part because I don't want to have to wait two years for it to be out of beta, and in part because at this point I'm convinced that they will have three factions even if they didn't hit that fund raising amount.

I backed at that level because I wanted a puppy.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I hope Armikrog fails so we get an epic rant about how the gays and their Muslim Hitler ally Obama sabotaged the kickstarter. Doug won't go quietly to the FEMA death camp. Oh no; he is taking a stand! Weak and marginal elements of society won't get a free pass from him!

It will be interesting to see if there is a PR strategy to keep TenNapel quiet or whether he refused to have his views silenced.

Counterpoint: Rob Paulsen is part of this project so I hope it makes a billion dollars.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Darkhold posted:

Obviously everyone will have their own standards but there's a line between 'kinda a prick/troll' and 'crazy racist homophobe'

Gotta be honest all I have seen from TenNapel is the whole gay marriage thing which, while I disagree with him, I don't really care that he has that opinion in the context of do I want to buy his game. (Yes. I do want to buy it and I am backing.)

On the other hand, in every context ever, I do care that this other guy literally held someone's personal details hostage. That seems to me to be worse in every measurable way that a guy who has a bad opinion and makes bad analogies to support it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Francois Kofko posted:

this is literally the reddit "YOU CAN'T CRITICIZE ME FOR MY OPINIONS THAT'S CENSORSHIP"

...no it's not even close to that, in that I am criticising him for his opinions?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

"Beef was not always Beef. She started off as an ordinary cow, ready to become a victim of another cheeseburger meal until the hormone that she induces begins to mutate her, giving her the ability to walk and gain a sense of awareness of her surroundings. (It also gives her a pair of bodacious breasts and causes her eye to go a bit derpy, ahem, anyways..)"

But. What. Cows already have breasts. They're called udders.

And, the ability to walk? Truly she is blessed amongst all cattle.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/315061806/nelly-cootalot-the-fowl-fleet-retro-pirate-adventu

Nelly Cootalot is funded, and that owns. Let's get some stretch goals.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I was never able to get into Syndicate Wars, personally.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

seorin posted:

The inspirations listed for this are Out of This World, Flashback, Abe's Oddysee, and Abe's Exoddus, so it's not really the classic point-and-click variety.

No, it is in fact a platformer.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Baloogan posted:

I'd pledge if it wasn't in moon dollars.

I can't tell if you're a real person or a construct designed to talk about 'moon dollars' and nothing else.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing the money I back a project with is going to is the stuff they give me for it; I couldn't care less what they have to spend money on to eventually get it to me, I don't care if they spend it all on hookers and booze as long as somehow the boozing and hookering process results in them making a product that I wanted when I gave them my money.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That guy really likes his exclamation marks, huh.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Kins posted:

Double Fine's unveiled the voice cast for Broken Age. Some new faces, some familiar voices, and a surprisingly unsurprising celebrity cameo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqKIWKG7GFY

Supposedly this was all within their original planned VO budget, which is the really surprising part.

As soon as you said "surprisingly unsurprising celebrity cameo" I guessed who it was so... yeah. Looks like a solid cast though.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

No Gravitas posted:

Can someone explain what is the fuss about that Mighty #9 game?

Ok, so we have here a Megaman sequel. Why is this significant?

I'd like to see the light, but I fail so far.

Well you see, a lot of people liked Megaman. It is similar to the excitement surrounding every other 'spiritual successor' that did quite well.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Combat Cats have been sending out download links. I just played it for an hour or so. It's pretty cool.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

This is a pretty terrible derail, hey did y'all know that Mighty No 9 is open to Paypal now? In case anyone wanted to back but couldn't use Kickstarter or whatever I dunno.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Regarding Toys for Bob, the game I'd really want a Kickstarter/Sequel for is The Horde. That'd be the bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

370,000 isn't bad given that the IP and the developers aren't really all that famous.