Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Darkhold posted:

Obviously everyone will have their own standards but there's a line between 'kinda a prick/troll' and 'crazy racist homophobe'

Edit: that may have come off harsher than I intended. Just to be clear I wouldn't stop myself from buying a game by say Phil Fish because of his online trolling. I wouldn't give money to TenNapel

Eh, that kind of thing is a major warning sign for me. If he were selling a finished product already, it wouldn't matter -- or, well, no more than (for example) I'm going to remember Spore and Sim City 5 whenever I think about buying a new Will Wright game.

But for a kickstarter campaign? Yeeuuurgh. With kickstarter I'm basically gambling on the credibility of some random internet person that they'll do what they say after I give them my money. That's ok if it's something like Hex where they have a lot of institutional credibility and are clearly established professionals, and it's ok if it's something like Tinykeep where I'm basically throwing a dude ten bucks because his dreams are adorable, but . . yikes, that's some drama there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I took a look at Massive Chalice, to be honest, from the description, it more reminds me of the Elemental series than FFT and XCom.

Civ style turn-based strategy game with tactical turn-based combat? That's pretty much Elemental's concept, though there are still plenty of differences between them, I'd be willing to bet it's closer to that than anything FFT.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 31, 2013

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

That is the most depressing post anyone has ever made in this thread and you'd better be wrong.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Darkhold posted:

Obviously everyone will have their own standards but there's a line between 'kinda a prick/troll' and 'crazy racist homophobe'

Gotta be honest all I have seen from TenNapel is the whole gay marriage thing which, while I disagree with him, I don't really care that he has that opinion in the context of do I want to buy his game. (Yes. I do want to buy it and I am backing.)

On the other hand, in every context ever, I do care that this other guy literally held someone's personal details hostage. That seems to me to be worse in every measurable way that a guy who has a bad opinion and makes bad analogies to support it.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Chairchucker posted:

Gotta be honest all I have seen from TenNapel is the whole gay marriage thing which, while I disagree with him, I don't really care that he has that opinion in the context of do I want to buy his game. (Yes. I do want to buy it and I am backing.)

On the other hand, in every context ever, I do care that this other guy literally held someone's personal details hostage. That seems to me to be worse in every measurable way that a guy who has a bad opinion and makes bad analogies to support it.

this is literally the reddit "YOU CAN'T CRITICIZE ME FOR MY OPINIONS THAT'S CENSORSHIP"

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

BenRGamer posted:

I took a look at Massive Chalice, to be honest, from the description, it more reminds me of the Elemental series than FFT and XCom.

Civ style turn-based strategy game with tactical turn-based combat? That's pretty much Elemental's concept, though there are still plenty of differences between them, I'd be willing to bet it's closer to that than anything FFT.

Ffffffffffffucccckkkkkkkkkk

That would really suck man

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Those links are pretty damning. And I'm starting to realize that I would have no problem donating to a person who's just a regular shrill loudmouth rear end in a top hat but I'm uncomfortable with the thought of giving money to a creep like Mecha.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BenRGamer posted:

Civ style turn-based strategy game with tactical turn-based combat?

I don't know where you're getting that Civ style from. They specifically name XCOM, Fire Emblem and Crusader Kings II as comparisons.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

Where do you get that from? There is nothing anywhere in the Kickstarter pitch to suggest a seperate strategic layer, and even the concept art gives support for the idea that your strategic decisions will be made from a central base/town and you just have a travel map style of movement from one battle to the next.

Edit:
I just know someone is going to call me out on the use of the word "layer" since they mention seperate "layers" in the pitch, even though we're talking about two different things.

nessin fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 31, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Der Shovel posted:

I don't know where you're getting that Civ style from. They specifically name XCOM, Fire Emblem and Crusader Kings II as comparisons.

Well, to be honest, there's very little information about the strategic gameplay at all, this is about it.

quote:

The game is structured into two main layers: strategy and tactics. In the strategy layer, you oversee your kingdom, arrange royal marriages, conduct research, and make the far-reaching decisions that will determine the fate of your legacy.

I just took a look at turn-based and conduct research and thought Civ.

I didn't say it'd be bad or anything, just that it was a similar concept. Medieval fantasy turn-based strategy game with tactical turn-based combat.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's base management and conducting research in X-Com you know.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

signalnoise posted:

Ffffffffffffucccckkkkkkkkkk

That would really suck man

I'm not totally sure why this is a bad thing? I mean, Elemental is a mess but the biggest disappointment for me was always that it had a great concept buried underneath all the cruft. Just because DF is heading in the same general direction idea-wise doesn't mean they won't execute a whole of a lot better.

I'm sure they'll go into more detail as the KS continues, anyway. Well, maybe they'll be some hubris because Broken Age had so few specifics and got well funded, but I think those guys are smart enough to see that the market's shifted a little.

Mostly I funded because I don't want to disappoint Brad Muir. Look at that smile. :haw:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Accordion Man posted:

There's base management and conducting research in X-Com you know.

Strategy in X-Com isn't turn based, though.

Ultimately, we need more info.

Edit: The thing that got me was they kept touting it as a completely original idea for a genre and it immediately reminded me of Elemental after reading that the game was a layered strategy and tactical medieval fantasy game

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have the feeling if they were going for a Master of Magic/Elemental style mix of 4x and tactics, they would have played up the 4x part in the Kickstarter, rather than the tactics part. I'm imagining the strategic part like the map/palace scenes in Dragon Force for the Saturn. I know I'll probably be let down, but it's fun to dream.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

Edit: The thing that got me was they kept touting it as a completely original idea for a genre and it immediately reminded me of Elemental after reading that the game was a layered strategy and tactical medieval fantasy game

A new idea/genre for Doublefine, not a new idea for a genre in general.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BenRGamer posted:

Enemy Unknown definitely is.

I really doubt Double Fine would lie about this. They said it would be a tactical RPG with base and lineage management so I'd beleive them.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

BenRGamer posted:

They don't actually specify that the strategy layer is turn-based, only that the tactical battles are turn-based, so it could be anything really. There's a huge variety of strategy games with "management" and "battle" layers done in different ways.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 31, 2013

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Francois Kofko posted:

this is literally the reddit "YOU CAN'T CRITICIZE ME FOR MY OPINIONS THAT'S CENSORSHIP"

...no it's not even close to that, in that I am criticising him for his opinions?

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
So apparently Xenonauts is coming to Early Access today since I just got my Steam activation key from Desura. They aren't quite finished yet but I remember having some fun with the alpha demo they released during the Kickstarter.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

...no it's not even close to that, in that I am criticising him for his opinions?

I really hate the Ku Klux Klan, but boy do they cook a mean dinner :v:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
The back and forth sniping stops. Now. How people spend their money in here is their business. Someone pointed out the guy's history, and now everyone can make an informed decision - end of story.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Some additional Massive Chalice information shamelessly taken from reddit.

Brad Muir wrote posted:

I love Fire Emblem, but I feel like the perfectionist angle is a bit lost on me! I'm much more interested in the roguelike / XCOM feeling of dealing with an imperfect squad of characters. That's what the epic timeline is all about - due to aging and natural permadeath it's going to be difficult to make sure that you have a perfect squad for each battle.

I'm hoping that this is an enjoyable challenge for players! Some of my favorite moments of XCOM revolve around trying to rejigger my squad after the sad and untimely death of a favorite squad member! :D!

EDIT: my oh my I forgot the :D. Fixed! :D!

Brad Muir wrote posted:

It's definitely a risk for us to take the game to Kickstarter so early! But we made the decision to do it so that we could get community feedback very early on. It feels really great to have people commenting on the early design so that we know it'll be something great!

It's tough to design in a vacuum and then announce a near-finished game to the public, only to realize that there were some glaring flaws that the community could have pointed out.

I understand if you're hesitant to back it at this stage. Maybe you'll reconsider? But hopefully it will get funded and we'll be able to show you tons of details down the road to get you more excited about it! :D!

Also that's a lot of ":D's".

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Wezlar posted:

Shadowrun Returns comes out in the next couple weeks and I'm pretty excited for it. It's sort of funny to me though. If you kickstarted it you paid 15 bucks at least for the game. Now a year later I can preorder for 18 dollars, after seeing in depth gameplay, and knowing it has full Steam Workshop support.

Yeah, this is crazy and I'm seeing it happen multiple times. I've decided to stop funding the bigger game companies who are using Kickstarter as nothing more than a 2-3 year preorder system to raise millions of dollars with little to no benefit to the people giving them a 2-3 year loan. If I'm taking a huge risk on them, I should be getting the game for at least half off what people will be able to buy it for on release day.

I'm just going to stick with funding the smaller ones that actually NEED the money.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

It's his natural face.

quote:

due to aging and natural permadeath it's going to be difficult to make sure that you have a perfect squad for each battle.

This sounds like a nightmare to balance properly. I hope it just doesn't turn into "oh, you know roguelikes are random, so".

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
To be honest if they really play up the rogue-like elements I'm just going to drop my pledge. I despise rogue-likes, it ruined Binding of Isaac for me which sucked because I loved everything else about the game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Yeah, this is crazy and I'm seeing it happen multiple times. I've decided to stop funding the bigger game companies who are using Kickstarter as nothing more than a 2-3 year preorder system to raise millions of dollars with little to no benefit to the people giving them a 2-3 year loan. If I'm taking a huge risk on them, I should be getting the game for at least half off what people will be able to buy it for on release day.

I'm just going to stick with funding the smaller ones that actually NEED the money.
The problem there is that most barrier of entry pledge levels are just a pre-order system. You don't get any real benefits or exclusivity without spending a bit more. The $30 Shadowrun level had the special ability and Doc Wagon or whatever. But even though with how much the game is going to cost $18-20, if they don't monetize it down the line, you paid a $10 premium for DLC.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Infinitum posted:

I really hate the Ku Klux Klan, but boy do they cook a mean dinner :v:

I got the refference :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ41liw74aY#t=2m26s

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
There's a good bit more info about the Massive Chalice kickstarter, why it launched "early", etc. that you can read here. The short version is that they like the community feedback aspect of kickstarter, and they want the community to help shape the future of the game. Since they feel the core idea of Massive Chalice is solid enough, now is the right time to start soliciting that community feedback.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

torgo posted:

I have the feeling if they were going for a Master of Magic/Elemental style mix of 4x and tactics, they would have played up the 4x part in the Kickstarter, rather than the tactics part. I'm imagining the strategic part like the map/palace scenes in Dragon Force for the Saturn. I know I'll probably be let down, but it's fun to dream.

I missed the Worlds of Magic kickstarter. An actual attempt at a Master of Magic successor, and I missed it. :negative:

Harlock posted:

The problem there is that most barrier of entry pledge levels are just a pre-order system. You don't get any real benefits or exclusivity without spending a bit more. The $30 Shadowrun level had the special ability and Doc Wagon or whatever. But even though with how much the game is going to cost $18-20, if they don't monetize it down the line, you paid a $10 premium for DLC.

And you felt they deserved an extra :10bux: to make a game you wanted. I think I put $60 on Shadowrun and $100 on Wasteland 2 and while the rewards at those tiers will be nice, it's not like I picked them to get the most bang for my buck.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Brad Muir is an extremely jovial man.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

I missed the Worlds of Magic kickstarter. An actual attempt at a Master of Magic successor, and I missed it. :negative:

It's okay. It's can't not turn out poo poo. They're using D20 for unit stats and combat.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

seorin posted:

There's a good bit more info about the Massive Chalice kickstarter, why it launched "early", etc. that you can read here. The short version is that they like the community feedback aspect of kickstarter, and they want the community to help shape the future of the game. Since they feel the core idea of Massive Chalice is solid enough, now is the right time to start soliciting that community feedback.

I'mma need them to go into detail about the strategy layer before I can really feel comfortable backing it, to be honest.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

BenRGamer posted:

I'mma need them to go into detail about the strategy layer before I can really feel comfortable backing it, to be honest.

Yes. We've gathered.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.
Take a look at this beautiful ship.

Void Destroyer seems like a pretty cool game, albeit a bit unoriginal.
I feel pretty obliged to post about it since it uses Ogre3D.
It would be pretty awesome with multiplayer, which is a post-release goal.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

DancingPenguin posted:

Speaking of space ships...

Fiction D posted:

Some good friends of mine just started a project that I think would interest some of you on here that have a thing for blowing things up in deep space.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ninedots/god-factory-wingmen

Take a look! :)

Wow, this sure flew under the radar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A59mQBbUyQQ

I personally love the style in this game, though if you're looking for gritty realistic brown & black look elsewhere. Tons of fast & flashy lights and colors and particles here. Build your own ship out of modules and jump into competitive 4v4 space battles. In general it's a much faster, arcadey space shooter, more akin to something like Star Fox than, say, EvE Online.

Also, Oculus Rift cockpit mode!

(is amazon a suitable host to link an image from, or is that considered leeching?)

quote:

Oculus Rift is not ideal for every game because it completely replaces your vision. For a game with a character that moves and jumps, it can feel a bit awkward as the player is sitting in a chair. However the experience from GoD: Wingmen is within a cockpit, creating the perfect environment for simulation.

It is our intent to support the Oculus Rift for GoD Factory and we hope that we'll be ready on time for launch.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

It's okay. It's can't not turn out poo poo. They're using D20 for unit stats and combat.

Wait, really? And this isn't a DnD 3.5 or Pathfinder game? I mean, I've sunk god knows how many weekends playing both of those and while I love them they are the exact opposite of balanced, and don't actually work that well as computer game systems unless you change a lot because why the hell would anyone think that is a good idea. poo poo, as much as I dislike it 4e would have worked better for a balanced game system because it was designed with something resembling balance in mind.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

XboxPants posted:

(is amazon a suitable host to link an image from, or is that considered leeching?)

The latter, I'd think.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The latter, I'd think.
We don't really care about leeching anymore. Haven't for years. We'll hit you for leeching from some tiny site hosted on a gerbil exercise wheel, but 99.9% of the time, it doesn't matter anymore.

Which is to say it's fine.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

DancingPenguin posted:

This looks kind of fun Homeworld / x3 mashed together. I also like thoes rock ship designs and that it is already in late alpha. Jumped in on the 20 buck beta access. Only thing that's iffy is the fps stuff. I dont want to have another Derek Smart Battlecruiser clone, although this guy dose not seem nearly :smug: enough.

Edit: Also this reward for god is hilarious,

goddamn 1000 dollars :negative:

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Shalinor posted:

We don't really care about leeching anymore. Haven't for years. We'll hit you for leeching from some tiny site hosted on a gerbil exercise wheel, but 99.9% of the time, it doesn't matter anymore.

Which is to say it's fine.

Just to confirm, if I want to post an image from say the BBC or Giant Bomb or whatever I don't need to rehost on Imgur or the like? Is this just for Games or an SA wide policy?

DancingPenguin posted:

Also man does this look pretty and enticing.