Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

mutata posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/winterkewlgames/yogventures Oh man. I wonder if the Yognaut community has access to credit cards...

So they're making a second life game based off their youtube channel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Yodzilla posted:

That sounds insufferable.

It is.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

mutata posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan So this was just posted to Joystiq. It looks fun as long as the protagonist stops whining and crying every once and a while.

How are they going to make money on this? It's not on the PC and it's a real game.

e: Oh. That's why they're doing kickstarter. I would probably put in some money were it on a thing I could play it on.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

evilmiera posted:

A developer that listens to the fans, and wants to make my favorite kinda game? Why not :) Money provided!

We need to talk about your problem.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I remember dead state was asking for model and texture donations from the community. Definitely a low point in the dev cycle.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I would 100% have backed Republique had they announced a PC version from the beginning. It's obvious they tagged the PC/Mac version on to get more money and they're pretty halfhearted about it. The lead dev guy is so obviously enamored with having this game on the iPhone and becoming a legit developer by releasing a big budget video game n the platform that I can't see anything else being important to him.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

HEVampersand posted:

I'm really digging Republique and after throwing some coin into Wasteland 2, The Banner Saga and Shadowrun Returns i've been looking for another project to help out with that looks interesting.

I'm a little concerned about the fairly new addition of the PC/Mac version, though. It feels a little bit like it's just being thrown in to meet the kickstarter target. I don't own an iPad or iPhone so is this a project I should probably avoid?

Yeah, I felt the same way. It looks really cool but I don't own a smartphone. If they'd had plans for a PC version from the beginning I'd put down 15$ or so.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

the black husserl posted:

I don't know much about it but I think it would be a much better game without those two incredibly irritating narrators. I like the sandbox elements but I'm not sure I want to play a game that features those awful voices so heavily.

Five people pledged ten thousand dollars to meet these people. Let that sink in.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Emanuel Yam posted:

Republique just got funded with 7 hours to go. Hell of a last day.

Blech.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Kaboobi posted:

Boo, I almost wanted to see it flop after all the drama surrounding it.

I know, right? What bothers me about it is that the lead dev is one of those people that loves apple poo poo more than anything in life and he goes out and buys the newest apple phone and laptop and whatever yearly and he feels like the people that are playing video games on their phone are really aching for a solid storytelling experience. So he gets this project together with his money and does most of it and brings the remainder to kickstarter. Then he posts about it 'blah blah blah serious video game on your iphone' and it flops. Nobody gives a poo poo. Then he posts some videos 'blah blah pc/mac!(give me money)'. It's apparent that he doesn't actually care about the PC port, he doesn't have any concrete ideas to separate it from the phone game, he's just dying for his game to take the apple store by storm and prove that phonegame people are serious gamers or whatever too. The entire thing is ludicrous from top to bottom and it's only saving grace is that it's a pretty neat idea and the game itself actually looks sort of cool. It annoys me to no end.

Mad. Mad about kickstarters.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

I wonder how many takes they had to do to get the narrator to sound remotely serious. He is the most professional man in the industry.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

It's a hentai game specifically designed for the player to do nothing but rape children over and over. If hentai games in general are battle you feel is worth fighting then I guess that's your call, but if that's the case I'd suggest you defend a game where the goal is to have consensual sex with adults and not, you know :pedophiles:

It was just a loving card game, man. Everything in it that the video showed was coated in innuendo and it was as tasteful as it could possibly be given the subject. Some people like stupid card games.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

The MSJ posted:

Zombie Playground pre-alpha gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znRX2vsQQIg

The sad thing about this kickstarter is that 100k barely covers this super barebones game. Like it's obvious they came up with it thinking they'd hit the 100k milestone and then actually make the game they wanted on stretch goals.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Boiled Water posted:

Is there some sort of economic bonus to using the Source engine instead of Unreal? Except of course long loading times and loads of memory usages.

The devs are the people who made Dystopia which is probably the best HL2 mod so yes they are going to use Source. Source is actually pretty good? I dunno if you've seen Vindictus but I think it looks excellent.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Sigma-X posted:

For those who are unfamiliar with Neal Stephenson as a writer, he wrote a book called Snow Crash wherein Hiro Protagonist, master hacker and swordsman, duels people in The Street (Second Life well before it actually existed) for fun and profit and is the greatest (virtual) swordsman in the world, and trains in the real world as well, with his training in both worlds affecting the other.

The fact that we have a programmable virtual world with fixed real estate but no good swordfighting seems like inventing easy chairs but upholstering them with plywood.

Oh, he wrote that book? You are aware that everything in it was tongue in cheek and intentionally over the top, right? It's actually a fairly humorous take on cyberpunk. I was wondering where I'd heard his name before and was too lazy to google it.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Absolutely nothing wrong with this assuming it's not a terrible cashgrab and the people behind it have some sort of credentials. At making videos of some sort. And not just credentials of any sort.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Whack posted:

Why? Why is a video like that necessary? Is there a gamer on earth who doesn't realize that women are sexualized in video games? Unlikey, considering we hear about it ALL THE loving TIME! Who exactly is the audience for this unnecessary garbage? Who is she planning on reaching here?

You can't say things like that on Something Awful.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

gschmidl posted:

Gentrieve˛.

"A 3D, first person procedurally generated Metroidvania action game" :ughh:

"You may also know me by my online al-e-us, fruit"

Nope, can't say I do. Isn't 3079 terrible?

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Antitonic posted:

Eh, not really my type of game, but I chipped in $30. Hope it works out. :shobon:

There's also this: "Z.". It's a CCG with zombies, billed as "Magic: The Gathering meets The Walking Dead". Seems interesting, and I have a soft spot for card games.

Why don't they just hire some artists to illustrate the cards instead of having actors and props and stuff? It'd look better and also cost less?

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Axegrinder posted:

Attention all lovers of quality gaming: the Kickstarter campaign for Defense Grid 2 has just launched!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hiddenpath/defense-grid-2

Defense Grid is the king of the tower defense games, and one of the best games I've played in the last decade. I've logged over 250 hours in it. It features true mazing, the ability to fast-forward and rewind time, and a sophisticated system of challenge modes for replaying maps you've beaten in the storyline.

The rewards tiers include interesting things like video cards, Razor mice, bonus DLC for the original, and bonus copies of the original game.

I feel young again.

Why's this need a KS? It's a sequel to a relatively popular and successful game. Why can't they just make a sequel like everyone else does?

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
You would just think that whomever published it the first time wouldn't have a hard time greenlighting the sequel to a popular IP.

quote:

Hidden Path Entertainment (HPE) has been an independent game developer for over 6 years, with 32 passionate employees and tons of experience making hit games. HPE currently is developing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive for Valve, the first major update to Counter-Strike in 8 years. Prior to that, Hidden Path created Defense Grid: The Awakening and released it on PC & Xbox 360. The team has developed games and projects for Valve, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.

Yeah. They could just get valve to publish it if they were really that hard up for a publisher. This just looks like greed to me, to be honest.

YOURFRIEND fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 11, 2012

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

FreakyZoid posted:

Can you please stop posting about an industry you don't seem to understand or have any experience of at all?

No. I imagine the vast majority of people posting in the Games forums haven't worked in the games industry and I personally have no desire to. I'm posting from a layman's perspective and learning along the way. That is how discussion works optimally.

The person who mentioned earlier that a publisher does more than just package and ship a game taught me more than your worthless indignant post. I hadn't considered that publishers also fund the making of games when I made my original post, and now I realize that Valve would have to be more involved than just slapping Defense Grid 2 up on their storefront to be considered as publishing it.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

full point posted:

Like Lario and Muigi!

Reminds me of Blonic. He's probably also in the legal green area.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Shalinor posted:

They did a post-mortem on Republique's Kickstarter, which does an excellent job of explaining the weird curve it had. Good read period, for anyone curious about the running of a Kickstarter.

He is 100% wrong though. He has a compelling premise and a unique idea and the polished videos and presentable project are not downfalls, they're pluses and I'm pretty sure having a proof of concept to present was the only reason it got funded at all.

The reason his campaign was slow to start is simply because it was iOS only in the beginning, and the only reason it got funded was because he tacked "also coming to PC" at the end of it. People don't want serious interactive experiences on their cell phone, nobody is gonna sit around in their room or on their couch playing republique on their phone except for a few die hards. I don't understand this guy's consuming desire to burn up the iOS sales charts with his game at the expense of everything else. Release it on PC, put it on Steam, I guarantee you'll make far more money that way. Reading his smug little comments about how iOS comes first and blah blah blah compromise just makes me annoyed that he feels justified with his KS success and thinks it validates how people really want a deep gaming experience on their phones.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
"Project Eternity is an isometric, party-based RPG set in a new fantasy world developed by Obsidian Entertainment. "

Oh man. My heart almost skipped a beat. How pathetic. This will be the first KS I give to.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Really there's absolutely no reason to have any DRM that's not impossible to crack(diablo III's). Anything else gets cracked within a matter of days.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

RadicalR posted:

I have to give them credit, that is probably one of the best endings to a kickstarter video.

And what is it with my childhood trying to revive itself? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

There seem to be millions embedded within your childhood, only waiting for modern visionaries to mine it out. May have something to do with it.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

evilmiera posted:

I certainly hope Hero-U starts pushing past the goal, because I might have to lower my pledge by about 20 bucks at least to make sure I don't end up with a negative amount in my bankaccount come next Tuesday.

Oh my god stop kickstartering

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

The Moon Monster posted:

The Elder scrolls is so generic I'm not sure if it's possible for something to actually be an Elder Scrolls ripoff.

This is decidedly untrue.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Shalinor posted:

Greedmonger, that sandbox MMO inspired by the likes of Ultima Online / with supposedly amazing NPC scheduling tech - looks to be doing amazingly well.

... which is totally awesome. Really want to play that game.

Sounds a little like Wurm Online. Is this the one that's been in development for ages and a goon interned there? I was really hoping they'd do okay.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

quote:

PROGENITOR KAIJU - Add your own monster! Submit your original monster concept to the creative team at Sunstone Games, who will work closely with you to create professional design documents and concept art for your monster. Once finished, your monster is eligible to become a fully playable fighting character in a future Kaiju Combat release! (Limit of 50) Yes, you still get your design team login, copy of the game, beta & alpha access too!

I'm sorry, but isn't this fifty different characters? They're going to have fifty characters skinned, modeled and animated in their game? That seems really iffy to me.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The fact that it's only at $91,927 as of right now fills me with some confidence that people actually paid attention to all the news and drama of Silicon Knights and why backing anything these guys do is a terrible idea. Still, that's nearly 1500 people who are out money and will never see anything for it. Or at least, not anything worthwhile.

Doesn't it say in the ToS that backers can get a refund? It's real lovely he's not just doing it on KS though, also dumb.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The thing is, every protagonist in this medium in invariably a dude, it's not something you can hold against one title specifically but it is a mighty strange pattern that any time they want to tell a strong, character driven story it's always the story of a man, women aren't capable of driving stories, seemingly.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/228300/

eh?

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I don't really care about the game or who the protagonist is, it's just someone saying a thing that is literally not true with bold text caught my eye. I'll probably not play the thing for like five years when I can get it on the Humble Bundle for like a dollar. Doesn't Transistor come out soon as well?

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

poemdexter posted:

Something about this whole thing smells fishy. There's no nailed down game design and all they have is a bunch of gifs of spaceship stuff in a video. So they have all this game and not a single bit of UI anywhere? Give me a break. I would not be surprised if this was a scam. If you want to play a similar game that actually exists, good news!

Are you angry because they're going to make more money than you? And I think spindly legs look fine.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

rebellion534 posted:

Hey guys,

running a kickstarter right now about spaceships : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rebellion534/universe-edge
it has crew inside that like use the equipment you place in the ship.

I have a bit of mixed feeling that I did KS too early right now, I have trouble looking at the game from an eye of an stranger, because I always see the game as the finished one. What do you think guys?

Looks kinda like kinetic void?

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I played it for the first time last year and thought it was severely overrated. It seemed to me to be the exact sort of game I would idealize as a teenager into adulthood because the characters and dialogue are quirky and memorable, so I understand to some extent where people who enjoy the game are coming from but really no part of it holds up at all. Even the characters and writing I qualify as quirky are incredibly dated, very 90s and invader-zim-esque. The only DF game I've ever played and really enjoyed was Stacking.

I expect Schafer knows that he couldn't make a game that would live up to the perceived legacy of Psychonauts even if he could get the funding for it, so he doesn't. Before his studio shutters he will attempt to kickstart a psychonauts 2 as his swan song in the gaming industry and to keep DF open for a bit longer though.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
They'd have so much loving money if they hadn't done it on their stupid fig thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Steve2911 posted:

It depends on the writing style really. If it's a fairly naturally flowing conversation, I'll almost always read it and skip through the voice acting. If there are big chunks of text I'll usually wish I could just sit and listen to someone read it to me.

Like, it would have been completely infeasible and killed the project, but if Pillars of Eternity had all of its narration text voice acted I'd probably have finished it. It's great writing but there's so loving much of it to sit and read.

You don't get antsy sitting around listening to some guy talk paragraph after paragraph? Even if the VO is good I cannot deal with them reading text I got done with a few seconds after opening up a conversation.