Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WHY CAN'T I GIVE THIS GUY MY MONEY

YOU HAVE FAILED ME CAPITALISM

Seriously though, this is hilarious, and if it actually got a serious treatment (but wiv da Orky acsent and wotz) it would be the best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Except for the fact its basically a bunch of /r/mensrights fuckwits doing it to harrass the feminist frequency whilst using the completely loving dodgy indiegogo system of 'we get paid even if we dont get enough money to even start it' system.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

duck monster posted:

Except for the fact its basically a bunch of /r/mensrights fuckwits doing it to harrass the feminist frequency whilst using the completely loving dodgy indiegogo system of 'we get paid even if we dont get enough money to even start it' system.
Thanks for clarifying that for us. Also, they're at least using Fixed Funding, which works the same way as Kickstarter and doesn't give them the money unless they get $3,300.

Edit: Just so I'm clear, I too don't agree with them at all, just making clarifications.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ok this is actually kind of funny. I'm fairly furious at the lovely indiegogo thing, but this is genuinely funny.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

duck monster posted:

Except for the fact that you basically ignored the pile of posts above yours discussing how they weren't doing that indiegogo model, how indiegogo isn't ONLY that model, and how they actually claim they won't be keeping any of the money anyway.

And just in case it sounds like I'm on their side: I'm not, those guys are seriously assholes.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mug posted:

Do a lot of people just instantly dismiss IndieGoGo on the assumption everyone uses Flexible Funding?

duck monster posted:

... whilst using the completely loving dodgy indiegogo system of 'we get paid even if we dont get enough money to even start it' system.

The lovely project posted:

Fixed Funding campaign
This campaign will only receive funds if at least $3,300 is raised by Sun Jul 29 at 11:59PM PT.

:lol:

I mean, it's still stupid, but yeah.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Urdnot Fire posted:

Thanks for clarifying that for us. Also, they're at least using Fixed Funding, which works the same way as Kickstarter and doesn't give them the money unless they get $3,300.

Ah, I was replying to someone asking what was wrong with it, except I hit the wrong one, and yeah, fair point. I figured all the indiegogo ones are not, and welp, got that wrong.

I think I kicked an own goal :/

I still stand by my observation that indiegogo is a cesspit however.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

duck monster posted:

Ah, I was replying to someone asking what was wrong with it, except I hit the wrong one, and yeah, fair point. I figured all the indiegogo ones are not, and welp, got that wrong.

I think I kicked an own goal :/

I still stand by my observation that indiegogo is a cesspit however.
No worries, you at least get a gold star for not agreeing with/supporting the misogynists. And Indiegogo is at least there for countries that can't use Kickstarter.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

YOURFRIEND posted:

Absolutely nothing wrong with this assuming it's not a terrible cashgrab and the people behind it have some sort of credentials. At making videos of some sort. And not just credentials of any sort.
The use of the term "misandry" pretty much immediately marks it as a project by and for MRApists.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

This could actually be interesting. Hearing women constantly complain about the way they're represented in video games is getting so loving tiresome and they don't seem to give a gently caress about the way men are represented.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Whack posted:

This could actually be interesting. Hearing women constantly complain about the way they're represented in video games is getting so loving tiresome and they don't seem to give a gently caress about the way men are represented.
Oh for gently caress's sake. You know, maybe that project is right for you. Why can't those bitches just shut the gently caress up and accept their place as second-class citizens like good little girls?

sub supau fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 15, 2012

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Whack posted:

gb2reddit

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Whack posted:

Yes, we men are so loving oppressed in every way, especially when it comes to video games. Especially in gaming communities, we sure get the short end of the stick. I know I always get treated poorly when it's revealed that I'm a guy. I'm also tired of how sexualized all our leading men in games are, it sickens me to the core. Yes sir, it's a drat shame.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

Yes, we men are so loving oppressed in every way, especially when it comes to video games. Especially in gaming communities, we sure get the short end of the stick.
To be fair, men cop a lot of poo poo too, but dumbshits like /r/mensrights and 4chan don't get that that's part of the self-same poo poo that results in big-titty bikini-armored videogame women.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

To be fair, men cop a lot of poo poo too, but dumbshits like /r/mensrights and 4chan don't get that that's part of the self-same poo poo that results in big-titty bikini-armored videogame women.
That's true, but it's just completely ignorant to pretend that the way men are portrayed is the bigger problem. It's a shame that the Kickstarter Indiegogo project is purely reactionary and wouldn't actually examine how damaging the common portrayal of men really can be, even if they did make the videos.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah, that drives me nuts.

:j: - we need to get rid of gender rolls, they're lovely and lazy and stupid and they hurt people
:v: - BUT DID YOU EVER NOTICE THAT GENDER ROLLS HURT MEN TOO!?!???!??/1>!

Somehow managing to recognize being hurt by the same problem and in some way recognize it as a problem, but be angry that someone wants to do something about. loving :reddit:

e: vvvv that's a constructive way to frame your comments, I'm sure this will go smoothly.

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 15, 2012

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. You know, maybe that project is right for you. Why can't those bitches just shut the gently caress up and accept their place as second-class citizens like good little girls?

I certainly do wish people like that Feminist Frequency chick would shut the gently caress up but I don't think anyone is a second class citizen. It's ridiculous that she's asking for so much money to point out that there are scantily clad women in video games.

Has anyone her watched her YT videos? Everything she points out is so painfully obvious to anyone with half a brain that I can't help but think this is nothing but a vanity project for her.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Whack posted:

I certainly do wish people like that Feminist Frequency chick would shut the gently caress up but I don't think anyone is a second class citizen.
Congrats on being completely unobservant, I guess.

e: Nice rap sheet, bro. Get banned again.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 15, 2012

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Whack posted:

Yeah, I know, right?!?!?!?!!?!

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Whack posted:

I certainly do wish people like that Feminist Frequency chick would shut the gently caress up but I don't think anyone is a second class citizen. It's ridiculous that she's asking for so much money to point out that there are scantily clad women in video games.

Has anyone her watched her YT videos? Everything she points out is so painfully obvious to anyone with half a brain that I can't help but think this is nothing but a vanity project for her.

stop posting retard idiot

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Whack posted:

I certainly do wish people like that Feminist Frequency chick would shut the gently caress up but I don't think anyone is a second class citizen.

Holy poo poo. You are seriously the dumbest motherfucker ever. Look at how dumb you are.

member001
Feb 19, 2011
Another $25 backer here for Feminist Frequency cause I know this is a video series I want to be made.

I like her message.

Edit 1: Posts by Whack :stare:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Whack posted:

I don't like the way men are portrayed through this post.

member001 posted:

Another $25 backer here for Feminist Frequency cause I know this is a video series I want to be made.

I like her message.

Edit 1: Posts by Whack :stare:
This, on the other hand, is the right idea :unsmith:

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
the only harmful "trope"/depiction of men related to video games is goony rear end misogynistic gamers too bad they're also a large segment of the population

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Role Play McMurphy posted:

the only harmful "trope"/depiction of men related to video games is goony rear end misogynistic gamers too bad they're also a large segment of the population
There are a lot of really bad depictions of men in video games as well, although it's nowhere near as pervasive as "hey guys check out my tits! it's cool that I'm a agency-less fucktoy though because i also beat people up so it's totally empowering."

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Whack posted:

No it isn't.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

TetsuoTW posted:

There are a lot of really bad depictions of men in video games as well, although it's nowhere near as pervasive as "hey guys check out my tits! it's cool that I'm a agency-less fucktoy though because i also beat people up so it's totally empowering."

I don't disagree with this one bit, and if somebody wanted to make an actual kickstarter with somebody demonstrated to be as knowledgeable and informative about male presentations in media as Sarkeesian is about female presentations, I'd love to fund that one too. I'm pretty sure the aim of this is to encourage those sorts of discussions and get people talking about the issues in the first place, and yet here we are watching a bunch of internet dudes creating a kickstarter out of spite and completely missing the entire message. "Gaming culture fosters a sense of unchecked competition and discourages cooperation and understanding in men. Which is why we created this Kickstarter to shove it in that dumb girl's face."

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

No it isn't.

Why? Why is a video like that necessary? Is there a gamer on earth who doesn't realize that women are sexualized in video games? Unlikey, considering we hear about it ALL THE loving TIME! Who exactly is the audience for this unnecessary garbage? Who is she planning on reaching here?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The RPS article raised a key point regarding the differences in portrayal between genders that I think bears repeating:

John Walker / RPS posted:

I feel compelled to react to one particular theme: That men are poorly represented in gaming too. They are. Men in games are often represented as huge, muscled heroes, essentially weapons of war with biceps, gruff and focused and all-powerful. It’s not an accurate representation of men at large, indeed not. Because it’s a power fantasy. It’s aspirational (as much as very many men may have no desires to be anything like that). It’s about being big, and strong, and in control. Oh boo hoo. Yes, it is daft, and cliched, and tiresome. But to compare it to the default representation of women in games – either huge-titted, scantily clad sexual fantasies, or helpless, pathetic and weak – is deeply erroneous. And yes, of course there are exceptions to both, although I can immediately think of vastly more exceptions for the better presentation of men than I can women.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Whack posted:

Why? Why is a video like that necessary? Is there a gamer on earth who doesn't realize that women are sexualized in video games? Unlikey, considering we hear about it ALL THE loving TIME! Who exactly is the audience for this unnecessary garbage? Who is she planning on reaching here?

I'm sorry it offends you on such a personal level that this young woman had a passion for the subject of female representations in video games and wanted to do a video about it and a ton of people supported her and gave her more money than she asked for in order to do that thing she wanted to do. How dare she use her time and talent to do a thing that she wants to do with the help of willing donators.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Whack posted:

The videos are about more than sexualization of women in videogames. In fact, of the 10 tropes, only 4 of them have to do with sexiness.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Whack posted:

Haha yeah that's true we sure have already solved all sexism forever, as evidenced by your posts. Guess we can all go home.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Whack posted:

Anita Sarkeesian posted:

I was a little surprised but honored by the invitation to speak at Bungie. As a media critic, who focuses primarily on gender issues, I don't often get the opportunity to talk directly with developers inside the industry. It was especially exciting that a prominent game maker was interested in hearing what I had to say about building strong female characters that avoid the typical stereotypes and cliches. The group that attended my lecture at Bungie was receptive and engaged. Plus, we had a great conversation afterwards that also included a discussion on the importance of developing more in-depth, complex, and diverse male characters as well.

:allears:

I'd say that there should be a thread for this, but it would turn into an awful cesspool real fast.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Every goddamn thread turns into this topic sooner or later.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Whack posted:

You can't say things like that on Something Awful.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Whack should check out (read, not post in) our Feminism Thread. It's rather eye-opening.

vv That's too much of a tease.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, on the off chance that Whack is not trolling, I think he has heard sufficient explanation as to how representation of men as "too good at everything" might be more offensive than representation of women as "only good at sex and sometimes not even that" to understand the difference.

Which brings us back to the most important question, sort of cross-posted from the Oldschool CRPG thread: COULD A DARKLANDS KICKSTARTER BE ON THE HORIZON?

Rope Kid interviewing the lead designer of Darklands posted:

RPG Codex: Given the recent Kickstarter success stories of Tim Schafer and Brian Fargo, what do you think of crowdfunding as a way of independent video game publishing and would you consider turning to Kickstarter to fund a sequel or a spiritual successor to Darklands? Ideally, if given enough time and resources, how would you go about creating a game like Darklands today?

Arnold Hendrick: I have given some thought to kickstarter recently, and a number of people have mentioned it to me. Known quantities do have an easier time attracting kickstarter money, and a number of my games fall into that category. There are very interesting possiblities in building more polished and professional games for the upcoming “tablet platform war” between Win8, iOS and Android. The $1-$2 mil kickstarter might generate could be sufficient for a first title on one of those platforms.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8246

(probably not, but this is certainly an intriguing possibility)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Whack should check out (read, not post in) our Feminism Thread. It's rather eye-opening.

He's banned from it.

Quarex posted:

Yeah, on the off chance that Whack is not trolling

He's not, check his rap sheet.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Whack posted:

Get banned again. Sorry it bugs you so hard that most women don't want to just be barefoot fucktoys for you bro. Maybe if you talked to one that didn't give birth to you it would help.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jones
Jan 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
why dont you video game evangelists bandy around the fact that most video games depict extreme violence? Surely that is a more despicable aberration than the fact that for-profit video game companies cater to their target 18-25 male demographic, but no that would require critical thinking above and beyond the moral outrage of the moment which is all your ilk seems capable of parroting.