Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Doom Goon posted:

The developer who created Super Mario Bros. Crossover is developing a "new" game. Now, I think it looks like a pretty big mess (IP problems aside, except for no physical rewards it could probably rightfully be in the "Awful Kickstarters" GBS thread), and who knows if he can create original level design, but I thought SMBC was pretty impressive.

SMBC was an interesting experiment that I bet a lot of children in the 80s would have love to get their hands on. Creatively, it is about as impressive as I Want To Be The Guy, so I wouldn't exactly trust that guy with an original product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Doom Goon posted:

Welp, that was fast, guess Super Retro Squad (Super Mario Bros. Crossover dev) passed its funding (barring a ton of people yanking, of course).

This guy should really try to find a new brand of shampoo.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Lord Lambeth posted:

So someone made a flash game where you could beat the poo poo out of Anita Sarkeesian

Stay classy internet

Luckily enough, by the time that article came out the newgrounds staff had already gotten rid of it. A loving evil thing to make in the first place, but at least someone on that site was sensible.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Douche Bag posted:

Oh I'm sure it's floating around somewhere.

Yeah. Yeah it is. :smith:

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Kyrosiris posted:

Anything that he actively pimps, I won't buy, yes, which is pretty much what Cydereal said he was doing (actively promoting the game and driving coverage of it).

You know you're allowed to enjoy media that people you dislike advertise? Right? :psyduck:

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Falcon2001 posted:

Hurray! Also, re-iterating the part where I don't understand the hate for a retro platformer like Super Retro Squad with multiple characters.

Because I usually like to play games that don't just copy mechanics from the bygone years of gaming. And the only game the guy has ever made was literally just putting other NES characters into Super Mario Bros.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Le0 posted:

I'm glad he succeeded with his kickstarter. People sometimes forget that behind those kickstarter there are people with feelings (I know, unbelievable right?), the guy had an idea and has a nice team of people with him.

I used to wish people fail things when I was 10 year old but then I grew up.

I don't think a lot of the people giving the project poo poo really wanted it to fail, we were just pointing out that giving 50,000 dollars to a guy whose only other game was literally ripping art assets, and this project (with NEW ORIGINAL CHARACTERS) has terrible looking, obviously referenced characters, it just doesn't sit well with me.

If the guy who made I Wanna Be The Guy made a kickstarter for the sequel that he made I'd have called it out for similar reasons.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Well at least I already know that game will be amazing.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
The Moon Intern guys reached their goal with 6 days to go. They posted some stretch goals.

quote:

$40,000: More in-depth character creator. This character creator allows players to design their avatar down to specific attributes rather than just picking from a vast assortment of faces.

$50,000: Co-op Mode: A second player, either local or online can tag along as the soulmate. There will also be additional missions only for co-op mode.

$75,000: Longer Story for initial launch. Right now we’re planning on releasing Moon Intern with around 32 “game days”. If we were to reach this stretch goal, we would like to add something like 20 days giving us a grand total of around 50 days.

$100,000: Multiplayer Battle Mode : If you help us go over this much, then, wow. We wouldn’t even know what to do with it! Well I guess we do. Basically, if we go over this goal, we would be able to get some more people on board to make an amazingly awesome multiplayer battle mode.

$20,000,000,000 : We will finance an actual Moon Colony.

I'm really starting to consider upgrading my pledge and becoming a moon scientist.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Oh hey the Gaymer Con kickstarter just had an update. I wonder what that's about.

quote:

Hello fabulous supporters.

[snip]

We also have some cool new reward levels you might want to check out while you're at it.

$250 We are getting the attention of the gaming community and we have allies there who want to help out! Ever wanted to ask advice about how to break into the gaming industry? Got burning questions about the inner workings of big game developers? Want to just geek out with one of the creators of the popular web series Extra Credits? Now you can. Pledge this level and James Portnow of Rainmaker Games will skype with you for at least 30 minutes and you can take advantage of his industry experience, expertise, and general awesomeness. Limit of three so snatch this up.

$500 We already told you that Ellen McLain, the voice of GLaDOS from Portal, was willing to do a little voice acting just for you. Well John Patrick Lowrie, the voice of the Sniper, was not about to be left out. Choose this reward level and that manly Australian accent (or maybe some other accent you prefer) will whisper whatever you want, within reason, into your ear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJfMZcKNByc
That's all for now. Keep an ear out for that crazy awesome announcement later this week!

:stare:

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

LumberingTroll posted:

Alright conspiracy theorists, explain this.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/seanpollman/kinetic-void/

We got something like 45% of our funding in the last day, does that mean that I bankrolled it to get $34k?

Your final jump is also significantly smaller then theirs. A lot of kickstarters reach their goal on the last day, probably because of the way kickstarters site is set up but I don't really want to get into that right now.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Colon Semicolon posted:

Why does Paul Robertson keep getting hired to work on such bland games? First Scott Pilgrim, now this.

You have a weird definition of the word "bland".

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I, for one, liked the Scott Pilgrim game and its soundtrack. (Seriously, Anamanaguchi are great). Trying to claim an entire art style is lazy is loving stupid. Sure, there are defiantly indie devs who go into a project thinking "We'll do retro graphics, it will totally be easy!" Those games look like poo poo.

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it bad. I don't know why so many internet people haven't figured that out.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Just a reminder, Sui Generis only has about two days to get ~35,000 in pledges.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Pochoclo posted:

Oh you idiots know what I mean, don't go all semantic on me. Sure, I've played several very long, very good games using Flash as a platform. It's obvious I don't mean those.

Just like when I say "babby's first lovely PHP website" - I have done amazing enterprise level work with PHP, it's obvious I don't mean that.

BEEP BOOP I am a perfect precise goon machine that always uses language with 100% accuracy.

Edit: It looks like a REALLY lovely game regardless of platform, are you happy now?

Calm down dude. I don't like the looks of the game either, but getting all worked up about it isn't worth it.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Holy poo poo that's depressing.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Well I guess we know why they got trolled out of $20,000 now.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
It's cool to hate notch because the game that he made by himself wasn't totally perfect. :v:

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Jonas also said on his blog that as stretch goals they want to remake The Fabulous Screech and Desert Bridge to run on modern systems.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Illessa posted:

Ithaka of the Clouds has had its stretch goals specified, now I really want $40k to magically turn up in the next 36 hours just to see what they'd do about hitting that $50k stretch goal.

Might as well quote them, because they're pretty great.

quote:

Ive been asked to clarify our stretch goals for Ithaka of the Clouds, so Ive made a list. With numbers and stuff.

$13,500 remake The Strange and Somewhat Sinister Tale of the House at Desert Bridge

$14,000 update The Book of Living Magic, add minor improvements to The Fabulous Screech

$15,000 remake The Museum of Broken Memories

$20,000 remake Phenomenon 32

$50,000 remake The Fabulous Screech as FPS/RTS hybrid

$100,000 remake Phenomenon 32 five times

$500,000 build a house out of cream cheese

$1,000,000 remake Call of Duty as Marxist text adventure

$25,000,000 make a pretty good science fiction movie

$99,999,999 build working replica of Babylon 5

$1,000,000,000 buy tuna for cat

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Edit: I can't read.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
He's just so entertainingly weird.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

katkillad2 posted:

I only buy video games when I can confirm the entire development staff are good upstanding liberals who have the exact same beliefs as I do. Thanks for the warning on Armikrog goons.

There's a pretty big difference between individuals in a huge dev team being bad people and literally the name of the creator, who is a big draw to the project, being a biggoted rear end in a top hat.

Theres also a big difference between hateing people for having different beliefs and hateing someone because they've said that you're an immoral subhuman because of the people you're attracted to.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Original_Z posted:

What do you guys think of the selection for the Boss Fight books?

I'm basically only intresred in the Earthbound book, but I upped my pledge because I had never heard of ZZT and I figured it would just be easier to pick the tier where you get all of them.

So there's that.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

RADmadness posted:

There's a new zombie survival game that is actually about survival and not hunting down zombies - 7 Days to Die.

The game pretty much combines Minecraft with an FPS, a functional enemy AI and a physics engine. So it's open world, has that grid based crafting system and the sort of resource collection you find in Minecraft, but also, probably, isn't a digital Lego simulator after the first 2 nights. I pledged in at the $15 tier which gets you the game when it's finished.

I swear I saw a Clot from Killing Floor in that preview video.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I just stumbled across this game on greenlight.

RetroWorld

It's a dumb title and the animations are a little awkward, but I'm digging the style a lot. Something about an earthbound like game about being a kid during the 8-16 bit era speaks to me. It doesn't seem to be doing very good right now, though.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I'm so loving angry about this game that isn't out and that nobody has played

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Man, I'd hate to see what would happen if some posters in this thread found out how much poo poo gets cut out of games during their development.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Gamers should not be allowed to use the word "scam" anymore. I don't think I've ever seen a group of people misuse a word more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
It looks fine to me.