Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

The Kins posted:

Julian Gollop, the creator of the original X-COM, has just launched his Kickstarter for a remake of another game of his, Chaos. He's been blogging about the development for ages now, so it's cool to finally see it going places.

The reward tiers have way too many "donate loads of money and get a massive in-game power boost" to make me comfortable about the future of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Let it spill over into the schools and churches.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Crash74 posted:

Lol watch this dude get sued by king for that saga bit in the name. Fuckers tried to sue the banner saga guys.

I thought King backed off on that after the avalanche of negative PR they received.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

1stGear posted:

Have any beta backers for That Which Sleeps been contacted by KDG for the beta forums that were supposed to be available by now? I haven't heard anything and I'm worried that I'm missing something.

There's been some kind of delay on Kickstarter's end, KDG doesn't have the finalized list of backers yet. They're waiting on that before opening the forums.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Cheez posted:

Ok, so a thing happened and I'll post it in here. It's up to you people whether to believe it or not, and as for me, let's just say I'm not entirely convinced.

The impression I'm getting here is that the dev team only really cares about the multi-player, and the single-player will be something slapped together as cheaply and quickly as they can get away with.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Beast Pussy posted:

What's the over/under on a "mysterious angel backer" dropping like 100 grand on Descent?

Kickstarter limits pledges to 10K per backer, AFAIK.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The fact that the single player isn't the main focus from the get-go tells me that it won't be very good if they do make that goal. And indie mp games have a very short lifespan.

See also: Descent Underground.

:smith:

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Regalia has a new update that makes the battle system look better.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

barjed posted:

It probably won't convince all of you but I at least would like to ask you to check us out from time to time. We are working hard on the "non-square" background with an interesting layout and we also will be recording the video GrandpaPants suggested sometime during the campaign.

Thanks!

Don't get too hung up about it though, I backed your game because the non-combat parts sound really interesting.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

thechosenone posted:

i just spent my last $60 bucks on the digital tier of Bloodstained.

You have made a Correct Decision.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It depends entirely on the game but I don't see how you can generalise like that, considering a lot of big KS titles have been stuff that's so niche that no AAA publisher will touch it. I don't imagine a collectathon with weird aesthetics and a somewhat out-there theme is going to do amazingly well once it's out, even if it's great, but I don't know. Maybe it's the next big comeback genre after isometric RPGs and roguelikes, who knows. :v:

Just as a quick comparison: 10.2% of Pillars of Eternity players have the Kickstarter backer achievement. With 73,986 backers, and factoring in people who bought it and immediately filed under "Backlogged - will play this one day", PoE sold about 750,000 copies. Psychonauts is probably less universally-appealing than the old Infinity Engine games, but P2 will still shift a fair few copies after release.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

BiggerJ posted:

Although remaking SS1 may seem questionable, not only is it likely a ploy to reel in investors for SS3, you have to remember that compared to SS2, 1 is dogshit (so don't play 2 first if you ever intend to play the original verison of 1) Speaking of which, due to the delay of the rerelease of 1 (which required buying all the rights back), a lot of people have undoubtedly ended up playing 2 first, ruining Classic 1 for them forever.. And 3's devs can probably learn from the reception to the 1 remake.

I've only ever played SSI, is the sequel really that good?

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Well, if we're doing Kickstarter checks:

Of the 13 games I've backed, 5 have been released (Divinity OS, Eisenwald BoN, Epic Manager, Massive Chalice, Pillars of Eternity).

The 8 left:
Bloodstained - Progress looks good so far, let's hope it doesn't repeat MN9's mistakes.
Celestian Tales - Part I released, Part II coming along nicely. Failure unlikely.
Divinity: OS2 - Larian has a good track record; I'm confident about this one.
Regalia - Lots of evidence of work being done via KS updates.
STRAFE - Again, looks like it's being worked on.
That Which Sleeps - This one is the only one I don't expect to succeed. Developer apparently didn't understand how complex his AI code had to be to match the game shown in the pitch.
Torment II - Has an actual release date. The only way this doesn't make is if a meteor hits the InXile offices.
Umbra / Wolcen Lords of Mayhem - Up on Steam Early Access, regular update patches.

So, only 1 miss out of 13 spins on the roulette wheel. That's not bad.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Mr Underhill posted:

I took this occasion to also check out my other KS account I haven't logged into in almost a year and see how we're doing. Admittedly I've spent way too much time and money on this website, but recently I've yet to be disappointed.

I didn't bother logging into my even older account which def. has a few failures, but looking at these recent years it seems I've picked a lot of winners and it's not likely I'll be disappointed. So yay me I suppose!

Why the gently caress do you need 3 KS accounts?

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

Who asked for this?

Well, going by how the campaign's doing, the answer is "almost nobody".

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

This particular instance is actually doubly hilarious because Disney banked hard on the assumption that people were going to go nuts for Kylo Ren and doubled down on the merchandise for him, only after the movie came out it turns out people liked Rey way, way more than Emo Wannabe Darth Vader and kept asking where all the Rey merch was, which was of course nowhere to be found because Disney is still stuck in the mindset of "boys won't buy stuff with girls on it, and Star Wars is a boys movie."

Was there a significant demand for Rey action figures and other merch from actual preteen boys though? From what I remember of the Rey toy discussion / online shitflinging, children were barely mentioned by anyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

DoctorTristan posted:

What actually happened with Paradox? I figured they’d fallen out, but all I’d heard as to why was Avellone going “Urquhart promised them they’d be able to stick my name on it as a selling point and they were very pissed off when I quit”.

There's a rumour going around that Obsidian took the money Paradox gave them to fund Tyranny's development and transferred some of it to Pillars II's budget without asking permission. Paradox was Not Happy about it.

Of course, nobody who actually knows what happened has said anything (and it's very unlikely they ever will), but that's the rumour.