Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thanks to everyone who donated to Wasteland 2 and posted about it here instead of in the Wasteland 2 thread :3:

Quickly:
* BloodyCastle is amazing and I wish I could have donated it for posterity's sake.
* Leisure Suit Larry as an "even more dated Duke Nukem Forever" is probably how some people feel about Wasteland 2; people who grew up on snarky text adventures instead of on graphical CRPGs probably feel about Leisure Suit Larry how we might feel about Fallout. That is probably a huge leap, but I do legitimately have a friend who has spent hundreds or thousands of dollars buying every Infocom game in the original packaging--and this is someone who is probably way younger than the key demographic for that kind of thing. Leisure Suit Larry was a big deal when it came out, as hard as it is to understand now. It was the first GAME FOR ADULTS hahaha more like 12-year-old boys, but you know what I mean. It is even more 1980s than Wasteland, too! The whole series revolves around mocking a deep understanding of 1970s culture!
* The Dead Linger: I pronounced this in my head as "The Deadlinger," and then I was confused to find that the designers also pronounce it that way. All I can picture is a limited edition Deadlands comic book revolving around a Harrowed cowboy named "Deadlinger Jack" or something.

(Still, I think I want to donate to that)

Palpek posted:

I am sitting here cackling like a maniac thinking about the next three pictures in this series. Just work with me here. I know you can all see it. There he is in an ultra-photorealistic leisure suit, there he is in a 3D ultra-realistic leisure suit, and there he is actually sitting in your living room as a result of Kickstarter 2038's remake.

Lobst posted:

This section in particular is an educational goldmine if you want to design games. Even if you don't like anything he's done, it still provides an insight to the thought process and underlying structure behind several finished retail products.
Did ... did they really manage to get "Suicide Man" as a character in Leisure Suit Larry 5? Because that character actually sounds kind of amazing. If you are too lazy to read up about him--he would appear regularly throughout the game, trying and failing to kill himself in the corner of whatever area you were in ... for seemingly no reason. Nice.

al-azad posted:

Kickstarter has painfully reminded me how all of the big names from yesteryear are making casual poo poo and cell phone games. These people were the superstars of the 80s and 90s but somehow they've been reduced to designing disposable flash games. How?
Some of them ... all right, I am just thinking of Lord British here, seem to genuinely be excited about the idea of making these kinds of games--I guess it makes sense in his case, as he oversaw his world being made into 6 traditional turn-based CRPGs, 2 real-time CRPGs, one action-RPG, and one MMORPG. Then he made a non-Ultima MMORPG, flew in space, and wants to bilk people on Facebook. That sounds about right to me. Brian Fargo probably is not burned out on classic games yet because he never worked consistently on any one genre or title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Vrikkian posted:

Is that not correct?
Well, it is how they say it, so apparently it is. But I would hope it would be pronounced as two separate words. This may be a confusing semantic point for anyone who is not an easily-annoyed native English speaker (not to accuse you of anything, just trying to figure out why it would bother Yodzilla and I but not others). There is probably a linguistic term for what is going on there, where the words flow together so easily that it seems like an attempt to create a new word. "The Lingering Dead" probably did not sound as good to them, though.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Palpek posted:

I think Jane Jensen's will be the first "big name" kickstarter that will fail because apparently they weren't able to put together an inspiring presentation that would say or show anything about the game they want to make and went for writing a producer resume with the worst headshot sticked to it.
I actually thought their video was probably the most compelling overall, at least for someone who had no idea of the people involved nor really any interest in the genre they were working in. I totally did not expect any of the things that happened in the first minute or two of the video to happen, and that seems pretty good for a mystery teaser.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Ravaged actually looks kind of great, though it fundamentally terrifies me that they call it a "first person shooter" without ever mentioning that it is a multiplayer-only game. I realize if you look half-way down the page you get to "you can't go it alone, you need your team!" but if I were less attentive I might think this was some super-high-concept single-player post-apocalyptic wargame. I probably only think that because I hate multiplayer games and think such a game would be awesome :smith:

Tufty posted:

There is some overlap with W2 and Shadowrun: Returns because they're a similar genre and the originals were from a similar time (RPG fans, turn-based fans, really old people like Quarex)
I was going to angrily respond to remind you that I was super-young when Wasteland came out and that does not make me really old, but my walker broke and so now I am lying on the floor narrating my response to be typed up later by a nurse and this is all too humiliating for me to be angry.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I would need to go back in time and be smart enough to donate for that :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Three is only one game called Star Command and that is not it :mad:

Hahah actually apparently there was also a Star Command in the 1990s. Somehow I am not surprised that this name has been reused more than once.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

YOURFRIEND posted:

So they're making a second life game based off their youtube channel?
I just tried to Google to figure out what the hell this Yogsville thing is and I still have no idea. So, it is an ongoing show that decided it needs a game, and the game will be Minecraft but with their branding and higher-resolution graphics?

I am not saying this is a good or bad thing, I am just trying to figure it out.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, I apparently never actually watched the Leisure Suit Larry reboot video. Al Lowe looks exactly the same as he has been depicted in gaming journalism since the 1980s. Good for him!

Also he apparently lives in the Seattle area like 50% of all oldschool game designers, clearly he does live comedy that I can go watch . ... wait what if he does, then I would be obligated to actually go oh no

Edit: Selling more hint books than copies of the game may be the greatest random "this is how it was for DOS gaming" summary. I was an anomaly amongst my friends in that I had my parents buy me games instead of having a creepy uncle who just had thousands of pirated copies of every game like all the rest of my friends did.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 9, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

TheHock posted:

It's even better. Al Lowe is also an accomplished jazz musician. We had quite a lively conversation about that a few years ago.
That explains how he was able to actually write a good theme song. I was always mystified by that, as normally "writing the music to your own game" results in a catastrophic pile of terror.

Is Al Lowe a Renaissance man? A dirty old Renaissance man?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well, Kickstarter has become self-referential, so I guess this means the movement is dead and long live the movement:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/timonbirkhofer/capital-c-how-the-crowd-liberates-itself

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

El_Matarife posted:

It really is mindblowing how much valuable, classic IP the major publishers have on the shelf from the 90s and 80s. The acquisition sprees and subsequent shutdowns of studios in the late 90s and early 2000s killed off so many franchises, I'd estimate that there's 10-20 franchises that are potentially 100,000+ copies and $5-10 million gross games on their shelves....The worst part is the strategy, adventure, and space / flight sim genres ought to be fairly cheap to make games in.
In the Wasteland 2 thread, people have occasionally talked about some of the other old franchises/genres they would pay infinite dollars to see brought back in the modern era--I bet you are underestimating, if anything. And even within a genre that was clearly underserved and rejuvenated like Kickstarter, like adventure games, it is obvious from the decent success of Leisure Suit Larry that there is a market for specific games from forgotten genres--and the Rock Paper Shotgun interview with Al Lowe and the other main Leisure Suit Larry reboot guy makes it clear that they want to bring back Space Quest and King's Quest too, both of which would likely be even bigger than Leisure Suit Larry. And this is just one of many forgotten genres, as you mentioned, as things like space/flight simulators and turn-based strategy games have similarly fallen off a cliff that they could probably be brought back from.

I feel pretty privileged that the single game I would have unquestionably been most excited to see brought back is Wasteland, so, you know, I reached peak excitement right out of the gate. But there are so many amazing games from the 1980s and 1990s that stand out and whose designers would probably jump at the chance to bring them back if they could. Or at least I hope this is the case.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well, looking through the Kicking It Forward list has certainly entertained me for a few minutes:

"He learn new stuffs super lightning fast, He is at least 10 times faster than most programmers/developers." http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/willieshi/island-visitors :stare:

Someone who sounds like he is doing a bad Christopher Walken impression, complete with "oh hi!" intro and Monty Python references: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/matthewjhanson/advanced-encounters-alternate-objectives (at least his budget was reasonable and he already succeeded!)

The guy from the "hello, my name Peggy" commercials narrates something that makes no sense over awful drawings yet the whole thing is actually somewhat funny even though I have no idea what is going on: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scarlettfamilygames/thats-why-youre-not-ugly-the-game

Oh no :smith: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaoticgamingstudios/chaotic-ways-are-you-chaotic-or-seren

If I did not already know this guy was actually pretty talented I would certainly not make it past the video: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1359565526/low-life-the-whole-hole-a-gadabouts-guide-to-mutha

And I guess for those of you who liked Grim Fandango, there is http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kaylarchstudios/i-remember-you-0

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

the black husserl posted:

The weirdest part is that island engine shown in the video is more fully realized than most kickstarter projects.

Overemotional Robot posted:

Plus that old man is kind of adorable.
Yeah, that was really what I had the hardest time with--this trainwreck presentation and he seems to actually have something fairly compelling-looking to start with. Even if "you know her, and she will be the super hero in our game."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

El_Matarife posted:

Yeah, I did a count once of the amount of titles that could be considered "classics" or AA-AAA level games for the PC in 1994 alone and came to ~20, many of which are in now dead genres. Every AAA level, big budget game for the PC now is either an FPS or third person shooter, an action RPG or open world RPG, or an RTS. There's a few hybrids and the occasional exception, but we've basically gone down to three genres, broadly defined as Shooters, RPGs, and RTS.
I kind of think it would be an awesome project to go through lists of significant game releases from every year of "modern" computer gaming and note games with cult followings that deserve to be re-examined. I imagine the earliest games that might be able to get something via Kickstarter would be text adventures done by original people from Infocom ... unless my friend is right when he claims every person who ever owned a TI 99/4A would kill for a new Tunnels of Doom.

Do you have your 1994 list? Because now I think this will be my new "side mission" once the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter ends. Except hmm I am supposed to do a Wasteland Let's Play, aw dammit, whatever.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Am I the only person sick of people saying "by gamers, for gamers" in their Kickstarters?
I have not noticed it, but I probably would be sick of it if I had. Though if Brian Fargo said it, he gets a pass, given that this was literally Interplay's motto for decades. It may still be.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lobst posted:

For anyone who was complaining that the Leisure Suit Larry kickstarter only offered digital items up until the $100 tier, they now have a tier at $40 that gives you a backer-exclusive Lefty's Bar T-shirt.
Zero interest in Leisure Suit Larry, still considering this. The shirt is undoubtedly going to be oh-so-delightful.

PDP-1 posted:

Our investors constantly wanted to reduce headcount, up working hours, cut corners wherever we could, and generally pull any lovely trick that would bump up on-paper profits so that they could sell us off to some random bidder for slightly more money. I'm out of that business now, and thankful for it.
Well, that was a depressing story. I think you are the most reliable person to speak on this topic, if there is a plus side to all that.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

NINbuntu 64 posted:

If you exclude the three "pledges" he got for $10,000 (almost certainly sent in by himself) his average pledge is $13.84 per person from 86 people.
The sad thing is, if he actually did this right, he could have built the impression of people caring about his project and maybe even built up a tiny bit of excitement. If he threw out at least a few high-price tiers and bought a few hundred of the lower ones, a lot of people would actually think "wow, maybe this guy is not just a complete lunatic?"

Well, all right, -some- people would. He could probably spend a mere $900,000 to make his $1,100,000 goal though!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Plus, I am not sure whether I would trust them to be that ethical, given that they would be getting 5% of his bad idea if it succeeded!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Brian Fargo is living the dream: he started something that got press attention and gave his project extra momentum but is now being weeded out by the very service it utilizes, ensuring everyone will forget about it.

Shrewdly done, my friend.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Overemotional Robot posted:

If the comments on this video are anything to go by, the Shadowrun kickstarter has hit a little snag. It seems they want to make a backer-only mission that links the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games. Now, that seems really cool, but I... kind of agree that we should be trying to get away from early-pay DLC (which is what this is, basically, although I guess one could argue that some of the rewards are the same?).
I think just like Brian Fargo with his comment about "social features," they are going to come out soon and be like "OH UMMM YEAH so apparently people do not want exclusive features--never mind! Just MORE features!!!" I also like that two cities is the perfect number--THREE cities would just dilute the experience.

(Whatever, I only contributed $15 to Shadowrun, I am not going to complain, leave that to the Shadowrun thread)

Saoshyant posted:

Both Jane Jensen's and LSL's kickstarters are halfway through on their funding, but it's impressive how neither caught fire the same way DFA, Wasteland, and Shadowrun did. They will probably make it, considering even the Tacticlol Shooter did, but eh.
I do hope that both of the former Kickstarters succeed as well, but it is also good to see that nostalgia and disposable income only combine to form infinite explosions of cash infusions if the people involved are clearly both at the end of their rope AND likely to produce something genuinely amazing, not just "well, guess we might as well try out this Kickstarter thing!"

Actually, I suppose that is a bad message to send. But Order of the Stick's success proves that this is not entirely true anyway. Why am I even typing anymore :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Here is a Kickstarter scenario for you, one that I do not think we have seen yet*:

Could a company succeed in bringing back a "cult classic" game by reuniting the original development team even if nobody would recognize any of their names?

Obviously coming up with an example is not easy since I have to think of a game whose designers' names never come up in glowing tones. Does anyone know the name of any of the designers of the Gold Box games? Probably not, and would they want to put up the cash if they said "we're going to get the 2nd edition AD&D license back and make more games?" Maybe (if that would even be possible). Would anyone care if the Magic Candle team got back together, no matter how much love there is for the game series in the wild? Arx Fatalis is not quite old enough, but despite having loved the game and played through it multiple times I do not remember anything about the developer--would people care if they got the "Arkane Studios" team back together?

Yet some things seem like sure-fire successes based on the degree of passion from their supporters--No One Lives Forever 3, for example, I imagine would be huge.

And even some degree of name recognition would probably not carry everyone--Stuart Smith's name is probably familiar to the oldest of the oldschool computer gamers--I only know him because I was playing early-1980s games as a child in the late 1980s; such was the life of an Atari computer user--but would anyone really be able to be excited by a remake of Return of Heracles after 30 years, no matter how enjoyable or ahead of its time the first one was?

*Jane Jensen's may count; I have never heard of her, but it seems like her name has some resonance for people who like her genre

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Megalixir posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chris-huelsbeck/turrican-soundtrack-anthology-by-chris-huelsbeck

First and probably last Kickstarter that I would even remotely consider donating towards.
:stare:

Those ... those heartless monsters. They figured out a DIFFERENT way to play to oldschool gaming nostalgia.

I never even owned a Commodore 64 or Amiga and I am excited about this. Those tracks are amazing.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

theblackw0lf posted:

Last week a company asked for $100,000 to create a watch that syncs to your iPhone or Android and has a bunch of cool features.

The current total is now $3,244,755

And they still have 32 days to go.
:stare:

What was that people were saying about Kickstarter not being the proper venue to raise tens of millions for a true high-quality game? Apparently if BioWare went to Kickstarter and said "hey we need $50 million for Mass Effect 3 THE REAL ENDING" it would work. Well, not necessarily, but this is interesting.

Why do people like watches in the year 2012 :smith:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was briefly considering an ironic donation to the Class of Heroes 2 Kickstarter, but then I decided that is not the kind of person I am. So I made a serious donation to the Metamorphosis Alpha Kickstarter because I respect THE ANCIENT HISTORY OF THE GREAT SPORT OF ROLE-PLAYING!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am watching bits and pieces of that Plan 10 Tex Murphy thing, and am consistently struck by the fact that they seemed to have taken an excellently-filmed Call of Cthulhu film and had it overdubbed by a public casting call at a gaming convention or something. Is that what the Tex Murphy games are all about? Amazing visuals and compelling images overlaid with intentionally bad voice acting? Or am I missing some vital element of the joke?

(If the joke is "this is a bad movie," I get that--but why does it look so good for a bad amateur production?)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I might consider supporting Tex Murphy just because I want oldschool designers to make comebacks all over the place. I said designers, Victor Ireland, not localizers :colbert:

Dragonrah posted:

No One Lives Forever
Oh yeah, there you go. I would be willing to cheerlead a No-One Lives Forever Kickstarter into oblivion, even if I do not have a quarter of the total life hours devoted to those two games as I do to Wasteland. But I imagine as a more recent title it would have a better chance of having other big fans around to go crazy over it. Like you!

Dragonrah posted:

and Quest for Glory
After I discovered my beloved Hero's Quest I had been renamed, 9-or-whatever-year-old me thought that my characters would be incompatible with the sequel as a result ... so I never played any others in the series. You would think I would have noticed at some point that I was an idiot.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rinkles posted:

Thank you so much for the incredible response to the game. We're shutting down the kickstarter account but this is by no means the end of Police Warfare. News will be coming.
I just read an article about this, that includes some speculation that they may have been picked up by a publisher.

I am not sure which way to go with this--assume that this is the most hilarious suggestion ever because no, they cancelled it because they knew they were going to fail--or that it means publishers have been trying to snatch up every Kickstarter game that picks up any traction, and this is just the first game to take the bait?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I know I just posted, but seriously, there is now a dedicated webpage to tracking Kickstarter funding progress. This is astounding.

http://www.kicktraq.com/

I of course immediately thought to test it out on the best Kickstarter, Your World:

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/120873716/your-world/

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I just looked at the Pebble Kickstarter for the third time, trying again to figure out what it actually was. I kept thinking it was an enormous watch band/case that you put your Android phone inside to pretend it was a watch, and I literally thought every single person donating was mentally handicapped, so I figured surely I was the one who was an idiot.

I do feel better about it costing $150 now that I know it is, in fact, basically a Smart Watch. Of the sort promised in the 1980s but never really followed up on. Hey, I can get behind that! I would never wear a watch, but it is way cooler than a normal watch.

When is there going to be a Kickstarter for an smart ocular implant :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Megalixir posted:

Is finding out what the daily pledging total is actually going to help people in deciding whether they should also pledge?
That is an interesting question. Will it be like revealing the results of an election while the polls are still open? "Oh, they are only at 50% of their goal because some random person put in $10,000 on day three, they are totally not going to make it."

Still, the fact that Kickstarter put in a "remind me when this is almost over" button can help with that. I have already used that button on a half-dozen different ones so I can help out at the last minute if it looks like they need a little extra to succeed.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
If Google put up a Kickstarter for Project Glass that had a hilariously unprofessional video coupled with minimal information about what they were actually doing and an entirely unreasonable funding goal complaining about how "the big publishers" were not willing to back them, I think it would be amazing.

Still, while no ocular implants, I suppose I will need to be first in line for those if they ever actually come out. My hatred of tiny-tiny-tiny smart phone screens will be irrelevant if the screen is ATTACHED TO YOUR EYES!!!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hey, neat! Let me go back in time and pick one of these up.

Yodzilla posted:

The first FEAR and the Condemned series owns though so I'm okay with that.
Condemned series? Yeah, I heard something about Condemned 2, but since it did not come out on PC, it functionally does not exist :colbert:

Stupid first game, being so fun

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Xik posted:

Come on, it wasn't that bad. I actually thought it was pretty good for a fan film.
I certainly agree that it was a very well-done fan film. But I am with the people who are worried that if someone at ZeniMax sees "thanks for the hundreds of thousands of dollars to work on [an intellectual property we do not own!]" that very bad things could happen.

Drifter posted:

gently caress. I didn't mean to reply at all to this thread. I will say, now that I'm forced to, that most of the kickstarter videos that spend time complaining for more than a sentence or two about specific states of industry or whatever just come off as being annoying. "ahhh bloo bloo bloo," is a good description of what they are saying. All the extended wasteland bits that had to do with Fargo getting rejected over and over again by publishers was kind of silly. Doublefine had a few sentences and then dropped it (from what I remember).
Double Fine also had not spent the last decade of their company's existence trying and failing to get a single game made and failed every time. Double Fine WAS still making adventure-like games. InXile has never gotten anywhere with their interest in making Wasteland 2. That is a pretty huge difference in "reasons to complain about publishers." Double Fine started their project out like "hey, maybe we can make a cute little throwback :)," InXile started it with "THIS IS IT. Wasteland 2 could have existed as soon as 2003 if publishers did not exist. Please help me."

This is kind of like the person complaining about InXile using the phrase "By Gamers, For Gamers" as a catchphrase despite the fact that it was the company's motto.

Harlock posted:

Hooray, people registering just to promote their Kickstarter.
The Forums Are Relevant :c00l:

Cbouncerrun posted:

Is there anything stopping someone from just taking the money from Kickstarter and not making a game/product out of it? Or making a lovely game in like a week that fulfills their promises and pocketing the majority of the money?
Sort of. More the first than the second. There are laws against fraud, and "we took the money ha ha lolz" would surely give you a case, whereas "look, we did not promise a GOOD game" would probably not.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Boiled Water posted:

You could just make a kickstarter that said 'I'm going to pocket your money' as long as you remember to pay taxes.
When I first heard about Kickstarter, I thought to myself "this is it--this is my opportunity to do the thing where you take some new minute facet of technology and make a lot of money off of it and everyone hates you for not thinking of it first." I was going to do a Kickstarter for HELLO, MY NAME IS QUAREX, PLEASE GIVE ME MONEY SO I CAN SPEND IT ON THINGS I LIKE, THANKS and it was totally going to work due to Internet Irony. Then I found out there was an approval process :smith:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rebel Blob posted:

For that kind of thing you'll have to settle for Indiegogo. Like this wonderful project, give me $2,000 for a new computer.
Hahaha. Yeah, as Saoshyant said, that is pretty delightful.

The funny thing is, even I was not going to be able to just go through with a simple "take people's money for no reason!" plan and was thinking about like painting the names of all the donors on the walls of my house, or something. But ... I do not think "mentioning you in a YouTube video" is quite enough.

The only time I have seen "Flexible Funding" used by something that seems legitimate is this: http://www.indiegogo.com/graveyardmenace, though I only think it is legitimate because he is an old friend of mine and I have actually seen him finish movie projects.

(any "Late Show" connoisseurs might even recognize him from the fact that he got married at Taco Bell a few years back and made the Leno/Letterman/O'Brien mentioning rounds and was even on the Today Show, so clearly this is a man serious about desperately seeking fame at any cost)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Xik posted:

If Wasteland 2 works out then he should be able to fund future projects from that. Assuming he doesn't gently caress it up like with Interplay and try to dunk his fingers in every pie at the bakery.
Please help fund Brian Fargo's "Publish It Forward" Kickstarter to start a publishing house that exclusively publishes Kickstarter games!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fintilgin posted:

It makes me wonder if, as Kickstarter (hopefully) gains popularity, we'll see the average price of the lowest tier start creeping up closer to the pre-order price of a new game. Obviously as you go higher up less people will buy in, but I'm curious what the equilibrium point is. I do think we'll see the number of really high end backers drop over time.
Counterpoint: I disagree! (Actually I mostly agree)

The low-end price point is an interesting argument, really. It would be interesting to see whether setting the lowest price at $20 would have resulted in retaining at least the requisite 75% of people who pledged $15. Or whether dropping it to $10 would have gotten them even more money.

If the game ends up being great, then they probably would have benefited from having the lowest price be $25--because then the people who missed their chance to pre-order are likely to buy it anyway. If the game ends up being lame, then they were wise to get as much money up front as they could.

But for the high end, crazy people who want to throw money at something are crazy people who want to throw money at something. I once said, only half-joking, that I never understood what people did with their extra money, because there is only so much 1980s CRPG paraphernalia out there to own. I was thinking specifically of how long I had spent looking for Wasteland and Ultima merchandise over the years, before learning that it (basically) did not exist, and I had to make it myself. Suddenly, Wasteland 2 happens, and if I had $10,000 to spend, I would have spent it. No question. Not even a moment's hesitation. Supply and demand only works for anyone in particular insofar as there are things one wants to buy--other than food and the occasional new game or book, or a plane ticket, I have found precious little to interest my consumer spending as an adult. Then suddenly, there is salvation (/damnation)! Kickstarter, and its inexplicable array of nostalgia-themed merchandise!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Maybe they will remake Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist and Willy Beamish if they finish remaking all the Leisure Suit Larry games! Wait, did they make Willy Beamish? Oh, whatever.

RadicalR posted:

This one looks neat to me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/698159145/atari-2600-star-castle?ref=live

I'm going to chip in a 100 bucks.
This is amazing. Absolutely amazing. And the music helps, even though of course I know it would not be in the game itself.

I have never even owned an Atari 2600, and I still want to donate. This dude knows how to put together a fun little video. Ahahahaah he is playing his prototype on a Gateway FX laptop just like mine :waycool: guess he has not been able to afford a new laptop for a few years :smith:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rebel Blob posted:

They cite King's Bounty

They also mention that the setting is similar to Darklands
Instantly sold.

Honestly I almost just highlighted King's Bounty, but it really was reading the "actual-contemporary-belief-attention-to-detail" thing that pushed me over the edge.

But I am pretty sure that every game that ever derives any part of its gameplay from King's Bounty is a sure-fire winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am starting to enjoy logging into Kickstarter more than logging into Facebook. The little notifications are always far more interesting and emotionally rewarding. "BRAVO!!!" "YOU DID IT!!!" "HOORAY FOR YOU, AND ONLY YOU, QUAREX!!!"

Gonzo McFee posted:

Charles Bronson isn't sure what the gently caress is going on.
Hahahahaha

NINbuntu 64 posted:

This is even more amazing by the sole virtue that Softporn Adventure is one of the worst loving adventure games ever made.
Yeah, I remember downloading it when I was like 13 and even then being profoundly bored by the whole thing. If you cannot entertain a 13-year-old boy with something even mildly lewd, you are doing it wrong.