Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning Justice
May 26, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

If you can, please answer one thing I've been unclear on: 13th Age is to 4e as Pathfinder is to 3.5 -- a extension/rebalance of the existing rules, only better than PF because 4e isn't inherently mindbogglingly complex. True/false? I just want to know if stuff's backwards compatible.

From what I've been hearing seem more in line of 13th Age is to 4E as Legend is to 3.5E. Both started with similar mechanics, but departed away to be their own thing and weren't afraid to change it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012
Watching a stream of 13th Age would be awesome, mainly cause for me at least, seeing people play allows one to see how much the system is capable of (especially if you let your players have free reign on options). Seeing friends of mine play D&D 3.5 got me into TTRPGs in the first place, seeing all the 4.0 podcast and videos allowed me to get over my "classes and ability must be as the book presents it" and permitted me to finally fell free to expand what one can make. I'm hoping that watching people have fun will allow me to see how well the system plays out as most of the time, just reading the material is not enough.

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012

MadRhetoric posted:

The thing you learn with these kinds of games is that a lot of players won't be creative unless you both a) let them be creative and b) give them a structure to be creative in. Give 'em that, and you'll be surprised how well they take to it.

If they have to go off the cuff, especially in a game like 4e which is very sharply defined in all aspects, people will stay in their little boxes. But in something like FATE or Fiasco or what have you, where the rules let them make stuff, they'll come out of their shell.

Yeah have to agree that I never considered changing the flavor in 4.0 (didn't realize the suggestions in the DMG excited until very recently) when I first played it, which is why it felt for me as it was too rigid. On the other hand when I first heard of legend they basically promoted the refluffing and renaming of ability early on in the book and I easily was able to think of so many options from the start.

It pays to let players know early on. Much easier for me to know about it before I read the content than it is to tell me after I've done so since my mind has already been set.

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012
I'm getting both :colbert:

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012
It's Monster Hunter if the armors and weapons allowed you to do the monster's ability as opposed to just simple skill ups.

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012

waderockett posted:

and me and Jonathan are probably doing a 13th Age Kickstarter. Heinsoo out.

Why do you hate my wallet so

waderockett posted:

In other news, we're still on track for delivering the Escalation Edition by the end of the month so you should be seeing it next week.

On the other hand, happy to hear this and can't wait to finally get to read it.

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012

RSIxidor posted:

One of the best fixes I've heard for the Barbarian is to give him something akin to the Bard's battlecries. It feels very barbarian to me to WAAAAGGGH!!!! into combat.

That's actually very awesome and not that out there. If I ever get my friends to play 13th age I'll allow barbarians to take it freely to see how it goes.

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Good news: They fixed the monk, which wasn't doing enough damage!

Bad news: I haven't done the math yet, but it sure seems like they nerfed the poo poo out of the monk.

I really hope it's not to the point of it becoming D&D 3.5 monk redux. I like the idea of flowing water allowing you to extend your flow combo, but dislike the method of which it does it.

Then again I haven't been able to play any 13th Age sessions, either on the first escalation, or the second one so I can't say from experience.

Burning Justice fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 21, 2012

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012
This news saddens me greatly, it seems that the monk class tends to suffer the most from knee jerk nerfing.

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012
So I have a question concrning the monk Ki strike. In the description it says that you start up with 1 Ki strike each day, but in the table it shows that you have 2 at first lvl. So which one takes priority, the table or the description? It was originally 1 in the 1st escalation edition and changed to 2 so I'm guessing the table?

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012
Same here, it explains well the reasons why the E2 monk has been reduce horribly. Not sure if this is also important but something else I noticed. While some features like flurry, Iron Body and Still mind were outright changed or removed, a some ability simply were made weaker by taking parts of the previous version into feats.

Ki Strike: A Weird exception, in E1 you could gain an extra one for a feat, but now you you have to use a whole track for it. That said, you start with 2(?) Ki strike this time.

Monkey Paws Lotus: The damaged done by the opening was default but now requires a feat.

Path of the Patient Mantis: This one's opening now requires a adventurer and a champion feat to act like it's previous version (d8 damage and it being cumulative) and even then it's only once per day.

Also like to add that Swift water seems like a good track, but only once at champion lvls as the feat there makes it so you don't loose health.

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012
Well there was a complaint a few post back that sorcerers should be a more offensive class than the wizards but don't feel like it. Maybe that is a method used to remedy it, not to mention allowing sorcerers with spell fist to abe able to actually hit monster with OA (since they are forced to used STR for basic melee still).

Though I have yet to actually play a game with a sorcerer, let alone one with both sorcerer and wizard in the game group so can't say if it needed or not.

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012
So I have a question concerning incremental advantage and the sorcerer's archmage talent. i have a lvl 1 wizard spell picked at the moment but I wish to pick a 3rd lvl one as my incremental advantage. Am I able to replace my lvl 1 wizard spell for a sorceror one or am I unable to pick the 3rd lvl one since I have my talent spell picked?

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012
I'm planning to test out the monk in a campaign that I'm playing in as I'm switching my character class to monk once we hit level 3. I had my character designed as a sort of monk, being a Muscle wizard as a sorceror with the spellfist talent, he went around punching monsters with his fist. I'm going to see how well the monk plays out compared to the Sorceror (I had managed to find a way to have my character using a 1, 2 combo to attack on standard and quick action so I already had a make shift flurry, though mine was in every round but only did very minimal damage. Would talk about it more but system talk has been very minimal in the thread so not completely sure if it's ok to talk about it since the books isn't published yet.

Speaking of which do monk get to pick between a talent and a form as you level up, or is it just forms?

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think it's one or the other. You either get a new form or a new class talent.

That's what I figured as well, just wanted to make sure I got it right so I don't end up complaining about something that doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012
Oh I'm still planning to mention that it's unclear on what they mean by that, but it's more because I rather hope it means that we can pick more options.

• Locked thread