Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Well, I did campaign/character creation last night. Gotta say I did not expect what we ended up with: Team Charisma. Rogue, paladin, bard, and sorcerer. Even more so I didn't expect every single person involved to be invested in the notion of flipping the Priestess to the Hierophant and taking a negative relationship with him. Preparing wacky "escape from the Inquisition" hijinks now.

One question that came up, and I couldn't find it in the history of the thread: when taking a wizard spell with Jack of Spells for a bard or Arcane Heritage for a sorcerer, do you count utility spells as the general "utility spell" slot like a wizard would? Or do you simply take one of the specific utility spells like feather fall? Or, option three, can you simply not take utility spells with these Talents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I'd imagine that an appropriate background would take care of that. Imperial mage, sorcerous child prodigy, arcanist's bodyguard, that sort of thing.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, exactly! Wizard Hunter. Arcane experiment subject (non-consensual). Horizon Spy. Lots of options here.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

My thought was that the "detect magic" aspect of such a background likely comes from a lifetime of exposure to magic and thus familiarity with it. A similar familiarity and lifetime exposure to diabolism says Certain Things about the person who can sense it...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I keep budgeting out my time for combat as if I was running 4E and finding that I've vastly overestimated the time needed, even with a group that's gotten quite good at shaving down 4E combat to run as quickly as possible.

Also, I got my book yesterday as a gift from my brother and this thing is pretty beautiful. The color on the inside cover maps is amazing. I had no idea he was going to send me a copy with the signed bookplate, so now I guess I owe him my firstborn.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I'd be really curious to see your encounter budgeting here.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If you couldn't be engaged with more than one enemy at once, disengaging from or popping off of multiple enemies wouldn't work at all. As written, if two orcs flank your wizard you're engaged with both of them and you take a -1 to your disengage check to escape both of them.

As far as engaging enemies that are also engaged with your allies, I'd say engaging sort of puts you in this "engaged" zone in which all parties are considered engaged with each other, but that's more of a rule-of-thumb solution.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

I'm trying to figure out whether or not you can actively engage with more than one enemy at once.

I figured it was a two-way relationship - if two enemies move to engage with you, you're all engaged in relation to each other.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Doublehex posted:

What? The book says you can only pick the Advances once. But now that I think about it...why would I give my players an advance after every session? They'd have all the advances by the time they're level 3!

Yeah, you can only pick the advances once per level. I don't have my book on me but I believe it also doesn't necessarily say you give them out once per session. You give them out once per session if the PCs have been particularly awesome.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Daaamn. What was he fighting?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I'm looking at using a despoiler in my next session and one of the powers confuses me for some reason (perhaps not enough coffee today):

quote:

C: Sow discord +9 vs. MD (2 nearby enemies engaged with the same creature or with each other) - one target makes an at-will melee attack against this power’s other target

My initial reading was that the power targeted both but that you only rolled against one of them and only one of them can attack the other. But I just re-read it while putting together my notes for the session, and it seems to imply that I roll against both of them and they both get to attack each other. Which one seems correct to y'all?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Good, good. That's what I thought. That's much more appropriate.

Of course, if I were to make this a "Nastier Special" I might bump it up so they both go for each other...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Ooh, follow-up question on Sow Discord: who chooses the attack that gets used? My inclination is to say that the PC chooses, but that on a critical hit the GM would choose.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

You only ever use MOD + LEVEL when rolling attacks or background checks, I believe. The book is pretty explicit about when level gets added in aside from that, such as when calculating defenses.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Ordered the Bestiary this morning and it gave me perfect inspiration for not just tomorrow's session but so much more for the rest of my campaign. I was surprised to see just how much some of the monsters had changed from the Playtest Tranche to this version - one of the monsters I've already used has jumped up 6 levels and become significantly less annoying (marble golem, FWIW).

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

You guys: redcaps are the best monsters in the history of forever. My players figured out the bad word in the first round and they were still saying it on the fifth round and raising a general outcry whenever it got said.

(It was "attack." My brother suggested "gently caress," which in hindsight would have worked just as well.)

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I agree 100% on the love for the Bestiary. Just about every monster in there is flavorful. Got to the entry on Intellect Devourers, which I thought would bore me, and they have become my new favorite monster.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

There are no more Spells per Day. Clerics and sorcerers know the number of spells that they have listed (to use your example, 4 at level 1 for Sorcerers). The spells themselves say how frequently they can be cast (At-Will, Recharge, or Daily).

Wizards technically know all the spells, but they can only prepare the number per day per level that's appropriate according to their level chart. Again, the frequency depends on the spell, with the minor caveats that cyclic spells alter their casting frequency according to the Escalation die and that Daily spells become Recharge 16+ in the Overworld.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Saw this on another forum and it didn't get any legs there, but I thought it might be interesting enough to spark some discussion here:

quote:

13th Age doesn't seem to have any sort of entries on lycanthropy in either the core of the Bestiary. That's fine; it frees us all up to spin something new. So how would you handle werewolves in this game? What do they do, how did they get this way, and which Icons are most likely to have connections to them?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I'm thinking the Wendigo wouldn't be a bad place to pull inspiration from, either. "Wendigo Hunger" is begging to be reskinned into "Moon Madness."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

It's sentient and doesn't want to go.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

This guy that the check was made out to, is he both :
A) Actually dead, and
B) An enemy of the party?

If so, seems to me like they need to find a necromancer who can summon this guy's ghost, who won't be all that happy about the situation.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

They got dropped from the Bestiary, sadly. I liked them, but I suspect they got dropped because combat with them could get insanely complicated/annoying. "Okay, now this round the fighter is in a different plane of reality, the eidolon switches initiative with the Rogue, and it teleports the wizard and the paladin to each others' places and is now engaged with the wizard. Everyone who interacts with it, record Insanity points. Next round, you're all in a different plane of reality and can do nothing."

In other news, thanks to everyone for werewolf help. I now have one PC who's infected and when I told him how the disease worked he came to the grim yet delighted realization that he was going to accidentally kill the rest of the party within a level or two.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

FWIW, the zorigami seem to have taken over the time-related weirdness aspect. One of them has a power that drops a target's initiative, and if the initiative goes into the negatives the target gets thrown out of the fight entirely. The power is multi-target, so you could theoretically get into a fight with one only to find yourself reappearing several minutes in the future after it's already run away.

It is basically amazing, is what I'm getting at here.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I ran a reskinned dragon against my party a few sessions back - basically a Medium Black Dragon with "acid" changed to "poison" in order to make it a giant snake monster. My initial impression is that a black dragon is a pretty busy monster on paper. Between dragon breath, draconic grace, escalator, and a random ability, this dragon had a hell of a lot going on.

All inall, though, it's not as bad as all that to manage in practice. If you have a particularly complex dragon I do recommend highlighting the parts that truly separate it from a lesser monster, such as a blue dragon's counterspell ability, because that's the sort of thing that might get overlooked. As far as their difficulty, I took one of our party down without too much difficulty and severely threatened the rest of the party but they pulled through. The dragons in this game are definitely monsters that you feel like worked hard to defeat.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

No. You look at the three stat bonuses, pick the one that lies in the middle, and use that. For example, look at calculating AC. It doesn't say "add these three stats and find the median." It says "find the middle value among your Con modifier, Dex modifier, and Wis modifier."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

As long as you can abstract weapon fighting to suplexes (which shouldn't be too difficult), then yes.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Theoretically the GM only needs a d20. Anytime there's ongoing damage I have the players roll. Same for relationship dice.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If you're going to be bringing the dice, I'd say generally a d20 and a ludicrously sized d6 for yourself and a d20 plus the relevant damage dice for each PC. If in doubt, just get each player a Noah's Ark pool going - two of every die.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Ehhhhhh. That many dice slows things down. Better to simply take the average, or to take the average of most of them and add a few actual dice.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Had my first session in a month just now, thanks to various scheduling difficulties. Not one, but two of the PCs went over the edge of an airship in attempts to stave off the band of harpies attacking them. Only one of them had a rope to swing on. The other one used the power of sheer METAL. :black101:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I am shamelessly stealing that.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

A cursed luck stone that's also beneficial? That's easy, it increases both good AND bad luck, so now the cursed character got plenty of both. For example, double crit chance, double fumble chance.

Perhaps it increases the good luck of the bearer at the expense of the bearer's companions - siphoning their luck away. Gives you a decent bonus (a +2, or maybe a reroll that lets you take the better result) on one roll per encounter, but imposes a penalty on your allies (-1 to all rolls made by your allies until the start of your next turn, or the next allied roll is a reroll that forces the worst result).

Or maybe it stores up for one big push of "your luck has just run out" at a critical time. Once per encounter you can add a +1 to the natural result any roll, but the GM keeps a secret tally and at some point can subtract that amount from any roll after seeing the result.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

You are correct, and also a 1 rolled when shooting engaged characters means you hit one of your allies.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Oh, do you? It only ever actually came up once for us in a one-shot so I'm not very familiar with it. My group is almost entirely melee except for our sorcerer who tends toward close attacks anyway. That seems a lot fairer than "haha, you rolled a 1, you killed your pal."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

There isn't any hard and fast rule. It's impromptu damage based on tier.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

It's pretty rad, I tell you what. After hearing some summaries of it, one of my players has begun wondering how quickly he can ditch his current character in order to become a druid.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

With very mild reskinning you could be a dude who shifts into an owlbear, uses owlbear fighting style (hoot-fu?), and hangs out with his owlbear companion. I may have found a new calling.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

You kind of have to, I'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Wilde Jagd posted:

It'll be interesting to see how they handle a minion-based/summoning class archetype.

Playtest druid has given us something to work with on that front. It's close to Companion Rangers but not 100%.

• Locked thread