Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Boldor posted:

Oh, the entire concept of multiplayer games is another matter entirely.

There was enormous skepticism at the time whether it was viable or not. This despite things like MUDs having existed for years, and the then-recent incredible success of Warcraft II thanks to its robust multiplayer. (And other games too -- I still play Master of Orion II multiplayer. Yes, that community is still around even, though these days I'm more a member of the original Master of Orion community.)

There was a widespread belief back then that computer games are fundamentally single-player. Sid Meier was one of the most famous proponents of this viewpoint, though I don't know if he still believes that. (These days, there's a lot of utter garbage believed about the first three Civilization games -- always has been, really. That's a reason why I want to write those up too.) A lot of criticism of Warcraft II then came from its relatively lackluster single-player campaigns -- that was all there was, as far as many people cared.

So any talk about multiplayer gaming was often dismissed (occasionally even as "not real gaming"!) A lot of people were thoroughly alarmed that Ultima Online looked to replace the valued and long-standing single-player experience, in particular.
Oh man, I was absolutely one of those people who did not understand the appeal of Warcraft specifically because it seemed like the only really fun part of the game was playing against human opponents, and obviously that is not the right type of game for this!!! Despite, again, me being incredibly excited about Ultima Online (though "Ultima" was much of why, and I was always rabidly anti-PVP)

I do like trying to remember the kinds of gaming arguments we had decades ago, though usually they only come to mind when someone makes a claim about some new thing being the "first [whatever]" and my pedantry senses start tingling, forcing me to scream out the window WELL ACTUALLY Caverns of Freitag was first [whatever]!!!

Also Master of Orion II rules so hard that I still copy the directory from computer to computer, even if I rarely play for much longer than it takes to absorb the music and atmosphere and laugh about tech trees

Also for as much as I want to read what you have to say about the early Civilization games I also do not want to lose you from the thread for four more years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Boldor posted:

This despite things like MUDs having existed for years,

To be fair, MUDs suck rear end.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also Master of Orion II rules so hard that I still copy the directory from computer to computer, even if I rarely play for much longer than it takes to absorb the music and atmosphere and laugh about tech trees
I was really really into MoO for awhile. I remember disliking the changes in MoO II, but I don't remember the specifics. MoO is probably the most evil game I've ever played, even moreso than Floor 13.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks
Before I started this project, I thought Phantasie was a smooth, solidly programmed game.

The moment I took a shovel to dig deep, though, bugs are seemingly everywhere.

(That, incidentally, should not dissuade you from playing it. It's a simple, quick RPG that I believe is no less good for being so easy compared to almost any other classic RPG. The only thing to warn about is that starting statistics are just that important.)

I'm now sure this will happen to any classic computer game I decide to analyze deeply. (At this point, what I've written for Wizardry 6 seems shallow!) There are going to be "everyone else is wrong" moments as a result for anything people care about ... which will happen whenever I tackle the Civilization games. Not doing that now, because I'm more comfortable at the moment analyzing the simpler instruction set of the original IBM PC.

Now, you may think that so many problems indicate something wrong with the industry, then or now. I disagree. Here are some counterarguments.
  • Many of these companies were much smaller than companies now. Wouldn't greater resources help keep things bug-free? No.
I'm by day a software engineer who works at a wealthy, well-known company. I cannot discuss details, but years-old, stupid stupid bugs are a common phenomenon. That was also true for the other wealthy, well-known companies I've worked at.
  • Well, that's closed-source. What about open-source? Shouldn't that keep things bug-free? No.
I have two counter-examples, both from roguelikes.

Angband in v2.7.something (I think between .4 and .8) introduced a simplification to paralysis, as part of code cleanup. There had previously been specialized logic to prevent paralysis duration from getting extended much if you were already paralyzed. That disappeared ... and for the sake of simpler code, it suddenly got a lot easier to be stunlocked and killed. This is why people emphasized getting free action so much more heavily in that era (free action protects against paralysis). I tried to argue against it, but I should have tried harder.

That finally got fixed in v3.1.2 (2010). v2.7.4-2.7.8 came out in 1995, so that had existed for 15 years.

Nethack in v3.1.0 (1993) introduced the Riders, which had some cool new deadly attacks. These were added to the already-existing attacks of the demon lords.

And one of those suddenly gained a deadly touch attack, intended for the rider Death. It was a clear bug with a trivial fix, but it nonetheless went unfixed until v3.4.0 (2002). Yup, it took nearly a decade to detect and fix a bug ... that anyone who studied basic programming could probably find and fix in a few minutes.

Both of these flaws could easily kill you outright after 20+ hours of play, too.
  • Well, what about older classic games. What about chess? Shouldn't that have been ironed out after a few centuries? No.
There was a loophole in the interaction between castling and pawn promotion that long eluded detection. (This is unlikely to happen in a real game, which is partly why.) That was not actually fixed until the 1970s, when the rules of chess had been largely stable since the late 1400s.

That doesn't even get into shenanigans such as "we forgot to prohibit promotion to the opposite color" and "let's adjust the 50-move rule, again".

Let's go for an even longer scale here:
  • Okay, so any manmade code can have undetected problems. What about genetics? Surely evolution would have bred any deep flaws out after hundreds of millions of years? No.
Biochemistry was my previous career ... and no, there are definitely flaws (the one I had to deal with the most was the CG dinucleotide being extra mutation-prone) that cause problems now that have existed for just that long. It's hard to see such things being fixed by natural selection before the Sun absorbs the Earth, because so many other mechanisms end up depending on such ... bugs.

And I spent most of today at work fixing a serious bug in stable code, caused by another long-standing bug being fixed ... yeah.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I was really really into MoO for awhile. I remember disliking the changes in MoO II, but I don't remember the specifics. MoO is probably the most evil game I've ever played, even moreso than Floor 13.

You might be interested in a modern remake of the original MoO (still in beta, mind) :)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Boldor posted:

There was enormous skepticism at the time whether it was viable or not. This despite things like MUDs having existed for years, and the then-recent incredible success of Warcraft II thanks to its robust multiplayer. (And other games too -- I still play Master of Orion II multiplayer. Yes, that community is still around even, though these days I'm more a member of the original Master of Orion community.)

This alone blows my mind. I played a bajillion games of singleplayer MOO2 when it came out, but didn't hear about multi even back then. I'm amazed people still play it now.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
FYI, GoG has the Eye of the Beholder Trilogy for free for the next 2 days or so.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kuros posted:

FYI, GoG has the Eye of the Beholder Trilogy for free for the next 2 days or so.

thank you! I grabbed it, I've been meaning to try playing that on something other than the SNES. Are there any recommendations for guides/addons/whatever like the Gold Box assistant?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

There's a general D&D sale for those of you wanting to try Dark Sun we were talking about earlier.

I should buy TOEE and give it a try again. In theory it seems like such a game I'd like but I've never been able to get out of the first chapter.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Temple of Elemental Evil is another of those games where crazy modders spent years fixing it, right? I want to say when I mentioned Temple of Elemental Evil played like walking through an abandoned mall felt, someone angrily pointed out that I obviously had not been paying attention to the fan patch scene (which no, I absolutely had not)

Also kind of on-brand, Solasta: Crown of the Magister is an out-of-nowhere (for me) 5th Edition D&D project that just released a demo on Steam, and despite not being close to release it has some pretty great polish and gameplay already. Definitely familiar enough for someone like me who just finished Baldur's Gate and Pillars of Eternity playthroughs that it seems worth mentioning.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Speaking of crazy modding, I played IWD2 at launch and did enjoy it but I remember it had some rough spots and an obvious lack of polish from its rushed release. I know there will never be an EE since they lost the code, but did modders ever go to town on it?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dr. Quarex posted:

Temple of Elemental Evil is another of those games where crazy modders spent years fixing it, right? I want to say when I mentioned Temple of Elemental Evil played like walking through an abandoned mall felt, someone angrily pointed out that I obviously had not been paying attention to the fan patch scene (which no, I absolutely had not)

Also kind of on-brand, Solasta: Crown of the Magister is an out-of-nowhere (for me) 5th Edition D&D project that just released a demo on Steam, and despite not being close to release it has some pretty great polish and gameplay already. Definitely familiar enough for someone like me who just finished Baldur's Gate and Pillars of Eternity playthroughs that it seems worth mentioning.

I would not recommend playing ToEE *without* the Circle of Eight mod. Not that it's bad vanilla, but Co8 adds so much.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JustJeff88 posted:

I would not recommend playing ToEE *without* the Circle of Eight mod. Not that it's bad vanilla, but Co8 adds so much.

Don’t forget Temple+! It can run on top of Co8 and allows for cooler poo poo like Ultrawide resolutions.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Boldor posted:

Stuff about Phantasie

I'm actually impressed that a game as complex as Phantasie was apparently coded in Apple BASIC? (At least that looks like Apple BASIC)

Out of curiosity, how did you get at the source? Every old commercial A2 game in BASIC I haven't been able to get at the source, outside some edge cases like the game crashing and then dumping the list. There are a handful like Crush Crumble and Chomp I know are programmed in BASIC but would really like to poke at the code. Though with only 2-character variable names for everything it's always a chore to figure out what does what.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

For me the big ones were:

The move to Civilization-like planet building, which tends to get pretty tedious in even the good games of this time with often not good automation or queue options at all once your empire gets large, when compared to the pared down, simple slider system of first MOO. It's absolutely not all change to worse, but overall I just preferred the elegant system in first game. Of the newer space 4x games I think Sword of the Stars managed to do this aspect pretty similarly.

Fleet command points kinda butchered the whole "swarm of small ships or big beaters" -concept of original MOO because there really is no question whether you want five frigates or a titan for the same maintenance cost. More detailed battle system with individual ships, shield arcs, detailed ship designing is great, but I felt that something was also different and lost compared to the more boardgamey, abstracted and slicker combat of first MOO.

Tech tree system I felt was just a step back, I just preferred semi-randomness of original tech tree tiers to static tech tiers of MOO2 where you generally had some choices that went for one tech 95% of time. In MOO the minus was you might be screwed for some key tech like Improved Robotic Controls III orIV if you didn't hit it on your tree and couldn't trade or spy for it, but I felt it made for more interesting game overall where you had to adapt a bit all the time.

I mean they both are great games and I played them a poo poo ton, but I've always felt there's just a design philosophy difference there that snuck in between the games. Master of Orion still feels a very elegant game with decidedly limited and fast colony management. Already Master of Magic (which I love) couple of years later went more in the way of Civilization. Design wise Master of Orion 2 felt like built in some ways more on that than the first Orion (in some things like the leader system and planet management clearly so).

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Genpei Turtle posted:

I'm actually impressed that a game as complex as Phantasie was apparently coded in Apple BASIC? (At least that looks like Apple BASIC)

Out of curiosity, how did you get at the source? Every old commercial A2 game in BASIC I haven't been able to get at the source, outside some edge cases like the game crashing and then dumping the list. There are a handful like Crush Crumble and Chomp I know are programmed in BASIC but would really like to poke at the code. Though with only 2-character variable names for everything it's always a chore to figure out what does what.

It is Applesoft BASIC, yeah. All I had to do was open the disk image in CiderPress, open the program files, copy the text to a modern text editor, and off I go! (It's not exclusively in BASIC; there are some routines in 6502 assembler.)

Why no one has done this before, I don't know, but it's making the IBM Phantasie easier to interpret. Though by now I know that the way it handles overlays and its usage of floating-point arithmetic are not actually typical.

Two-letter variables are still very informative compared to disassembled code, though! I still haven't figured the way floating-point arithmetic works in the IBM version, but I know the specific numbers to look for from both the Apple ][ version and experimentation (and how the two versions differ), so it's only a matter of time. (The random number generator was thankfully easy to identify, and doesn't use floating-point as BASIC.)

If you ever try this, it helps to determine as many magic numbers as you can without disassembly. (I can go into tremendous detail if anyone actually wants the technical detail.)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah I really liked that. Definitely worth checking the demo out.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
IIRC Master of Orion II was originally titled Master of Antares in development so it wasn't intended to be a sequel. It's a shame that most post-90's 4x games took inspiration from MOO2 rather than the first one. MOO1 is just well designed and lean. It's a 4x game that's pick-up-and-play rather than feeling like being committed to a 20-plus hour game of micromanaging planets.

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

Arivia posted:

thank you! I grabbed it, I've been meaning to try playing that on something other than the SNES. Are there any recommendations for guides/addons/whatever like the Gold Box assistant?

The All-Seeing Eye is the equivalent of the Gold Box Assistant for the Eye of the Beholder games. Automapping, character editor, and hintbook clues built into the interface if you want.

https://ase.zorbus.net/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Taborcarn posted:

The All-Seeing Eye is the equivalent of the Gold Box Assistant for the Eye of the Beholder games. Automapping, character editor, and hintbook clues built into the interface if you want.

https://ase.zorbus.net/

thank you very much!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Boldor posted:

It is Applesoft BASIC, yeah. All I had to do was open the disk image in CiderPress, open the program files, copy the text to a modern text editor, and off I go! (It's not exclusively in BASIC; there are some routines in 6502 assembler.)

Why no one has done this before, I don't know, but it's making the IBM Phantasie easier to interpret. Though by now I know that the way it handles overlays and its usage of floating-point arithmetic are not actually typical.

Two-letter variables are still very informative compared to disassembled code, though! I still haven't figured the way floating-point arithmetic works in the IBM version, but I know the specific numbers to look for from both the Apple ][ version and experimentation (and how the two versions differ), so it's only a matter of time. (The random number generator was thankfully easy to identify, and doesn't use floating-point as BASIC.)

If you ever try this, it helps to determine as many magic numbers as you can without disassembly. (I can go into tremendous detail if anyone actually wants the technical detail.)

I never knew about Ciderpress before. I am going to have so much fun with this. Looks like on brief glance that some games use longer-than-3-character variable names! It’s probably just for ease of reading code since everything after the first 2 are ignored but I’ll take it.

And yeah I’d definitely be interested in learning more about avoiding disassembly. Programming in BASIC was as far as I got on the Apple and I’m not super excited about learning 6502 ASM.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Genpei Turtle posted:

And yeah I’d definitely be interested in learning more about avoiding disassembly. Programming in BASIC was as far as I got on the Apple and I’m not super excited about learning 6502 ASM.

6502 assembly is generally more useful than 8088/x86 to learn for retrogaming, since so many systems (Apple ][, Atari, Commodore 64, NES) use it. 8088/x86 gaming is what I know best, though, so it's what I'm going to stick to personally.

Reverse engineering works differently from forward engineering. It's also easier to do for RPGs than other genres, because most of them show lots of numbers as part of gameplay, and that provides many convenient levers to figure out how things tick.

A typical place to start are large in-game numbers such as experience and gold. Convert these to hexadecimal and look for them in either saved games or a memory dump. (You can do a memory dump in DOSBox with the debugger version.) Look for the hex strings both the "right way" and backwards; it's common in my experience for a game to use the opposite endianness of the processor it's on.

The little-endian Apple ][ for instance, actually stores experience as big-endian, meaning 1,000,000 experience (0x0F4240 in hex) really is represented as 0F 42 40, not 40 42 0F as normal on an Apple ][ or IBM PC. You can then find this in the Apple Phantasie code:
code:
 670  POKE  FN C(51),DM / 2 ^ 16:DM = DM - 2 ^ 16 *  FN P(51)
 680  POKE  FN C(52),DM / 256: POKE  FN C(53),DM - 256 *  FN P(52): NEXT
and that's the only thing for a character that can be so numerically large ... so you can mark down 51, 52, and 53 for a character data structure as storing experience. You can then prove this by making a change show in the character statistics.

You can identify most entries in both a character data structure, and similarly monster data structures, just by knowing how the game works and comparison, or by experimentally changing numbers and seeing how gameplay differs. Typically the next major things to check are statistics (Strength, etc.) and skills, then things like accuracy and armor class.

There's also inventory items. This is straight-up printed in the manual for Phantasie (one the reasons I'm analyzing this game), but it's often not hard to discover what's what for other games. You can go in order off any strings you find, or experimentally change inventory items, or sometimes there's an explicit in-game order, or any number of other approaches.

Strings and other key data are often encrypted in older games. This is sometimes done simply by XOR-ing each byte with 0x80, which will deter more hackers than you'd think! There will often be a more sophisticated scheme to crack, but everything I've seen so far in retrogaming works on a byte-by-byte basis (as in, an encrypted byte doesn't depend on other encrypted bytes for decryption) and isn't that hard to decrypt. (This only works if you know what and where the data are.)

On an IBM PC, older DOS executables are often compressed. It's a crude compression that the utility UNP.EXE will undo for you; if present you want to do that first so all data structures are the correct size.

None of this requires any assembly experience, but knowing all the above first helps a lot. Knowing that a character is represented by 282 bytes (0x11A) in the IBM version means that almost any reference to 0x11A means the game is looking up a character. And then it often adds to this number to access a specific statistic -- a subsequent relative reference by 0x08 is then Charisma both in game machine code and in the saved game files.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Is there a 'Before I Play' trove of knowledge for the Gold Box and Dark Sun games? I'm not familiar with that edition of D&D and want to make sure I don't bone myself on character creation

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

Is there a 'Before I Play' trove of knowledge for the Gold Box and Dark Sun games? I'm not familiar with that edition of D&D and want to make sure I don't bone myself on character creation

You kind of can't bone yourself. In 1E/2E, a fighter is a fighter, a cleric is a cleric, and so forth. It's not like later editions where it's all highly customizable for minmaxers with skill levels and feats and whatnot.

The only important thing is not to make nonhuman characters without a good reason. Nonhumans can multiclass, but in exchange they have hard level limits for all classes but thieves. For the Krynn Gold Box games that's not the case though, as elves, for example, don't get level limits as clerics and mages.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Wouldn't you guys agree that GBC is the only way to really play the Gold Box games these days? And if so, TheHoosier maybe consider getting it as I think you can do some nice QoL things like remove the level caps for races that Genpei Turtle just mentioned. I know I got screwed over the first time I played.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

In Dark Sun, Druids get Raise Dead iirc, not Clerics, which is a doozy of an error I made the first time I played

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

BadAstronaut posted:

Wouldn't you guys agree that GBC is the only way to really play the Gold Box games these days? And if so, TheHoosier maybe consider getting it as I think you can do some nice QoL things like remove the level caps for races that Genpei Turtle just mentioned. I know I got screwed over the first time I played.

I actually mostly play without it -- to me, it's more trouble to set up than it's worth (beyond Pool of Radiance and its lack of Fix command).

But that's also because I'm so familiar with the games that many of the features don't help.

If you're playing for the first time you should definitely use it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Just my opinion, of course, but I am familiar with the games yet I would only play them with GBC. Similarly, I know the EoB games well yet would not play them with All-Seeing Eye or similar for #3.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I appreciate the info. I plan on using GBC for a first go, just to ease in. I've never played them before so I have no frame of reference.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

With all the revelations coming out, what is the official/unofficial Discord server for this thread?

GBC is useful just for (quickly) customizing the look of all your party members so you know who is who at a glance.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Someone in the Steam thread just set up a Steam channel for general PC game talk on an existing goon discord server, so maybe it's worth trying to get in on that and just make another one? Might be easier to keep in contact with the same people than with something standalone.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
If we do make a retro games in general or old scool CPRG in particular discord, I'd lie an invite please.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Maybe request a dedicated text-channel in the RetroFPS Discord linked to in the early FPS SA thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790&pagenumber=2045#lastpost

This kind of makes sense. After all, a good portion of retro CRPGs discussed in this thread do have FPS sub-windows

ETPC posted:

https://discord.gg/BQXS4H3

i will post about socialism and duke nukem forever, be warned

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'm happy to set up an old-school-RPG discussion channel on the official Drop Bear Bytes discord server if people want to go there. I'm not trying to hijack this and I am not trying to break any rules, so if not appropriate/needed/wanted, I'll hold off.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

quantumfoam posted:

Maybe request a dedicated text-channel in the RetroFPS Discord linked to in the early FPS SA thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790&pagenumber=2045#lastpost

This kind of makes sense. After all, a good portion of retro CRPGs discussed in this thread do have FPS sub-windows

invite link is expired

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

invite link is expired

the person deactivated the link however

The Kins posted:

I've temporarily disabled the Discord invite, partly to avoid potential issues that, honestly, probably wouldn't have cropped up anyway, and partly because I'm pretty sure at some 270 users, everyone who reads this thread is already there anyway. :v:

A new invite will be put up at some vague point, but in the meantime if you still want to get in, shoot @kinsie a DM on the Twitters. I'll continue to repost news etc. on Twitter as well alongside my usual shitposting, so feel free to follow if you don't mind it not being in dot-point format.

also the Discord channel isn't a part of GoonDiscordNetwork, whatever the hell that is.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Also, if you are paranoid about losing old posts or good information if the SomethingAwful forums go down or get purged, the following SA Thread scraper tool worked pretty well when I tested it out on this thread and the Wizardry Megathread: P.S. TREBOR SUX thread.

Safety Biscuits posted:

I copied this from the Fiction Writing thread, I have no idea if it works:

quote:

A while ago, some goon wrote a thread scraper for SA.

I forked the code and fixed the error messages, then did it again when chrome started hating on http connections or something. It's now the single thing I have available on github, because it would be rude not to let the orginal author know that somebody still loves his dead gay code:

https://github.com/Fumblemouse/SA-Archiving-Tool

To use:

Hit the big green Clone button and download it as a zip file.

Extract the zip file somewhere on your local hard drive.

In Chrome, go Settings -> More Tools -> Extensions and flick the Developer Mode switch on the top right.

There should now be an option to Load Unpacked on the left. Ignoring the untold comedy potential for that phrase, click the option and find the folder you extracted the zip to - by default, SA-Archiving-Tool-master. Select that folder and click the Open button.

All going well you should now have a hard-to-see SA icon on the chrome extension bar. If you visit a SA thread with a thread ID, eg https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3903748 the icon should now be clickable with a single option...Archive.

Click that link, and your local PC will think for a while, depending on your local tubespeed, then display a single page with the entire thread on it. CTRL+S or Rightclick Save As and save it whereever you want. WebPage, Complete will save images also.

Because nothing in life is easy, the saved page's HTML CSS tags refers to something set up by the chrome extension, so it will look a bit crappy in another browser or if you remove the extension. This can be fixed by changing the CSS reference in the Saved As HTML file to the files in the /archive folder from the extracted zipfile - or you could copy the /archive css files into the HTML file's folder and just have the tags as direct links to files (no folder references)

Go crazy!

Thanks sebmojo.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
What if someone doesn't use Chrome?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Libluini posted:

What if someone doesn't use Chrome?

Why not download the scraper plugin from github and see if you can rewrite enough of the plugin-code for it work in whatever your primary browser is?
Maybe download and install Chrome or Chromium as a one-time usage thing just for that SA thread scrapper tool?
Perhaps open a mechanical turk task https://www.mturk.com/ to have someone else do the all SA thread archiving work for you? (this option costs money)
Or just do nothing?

TheHoosier posted:

Boldor's posts in the very bottom of this thread's OP is all that you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Joe Chill posted:

IIRC Master of Orion II was originally titled Master of Antares in development so it wasn't intended to be a sequel. It's a shame that most post-90's 4x games took inspiration from MOO2 rather than the first one. MOO1 is just well designed and lean. It's a 4x game that's pick-up-and-play rather than feeling like being committed to a 20-plus hour game of micromanaging planets.

I've been firmly on the side of MOO1 for years ad I'm glad I'm not alone