Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pierzak posted:

I think I remember GOG using some weird DOSBox version in a few releases that allowed save states. Anyone know what that was and where to get it?
Quoting from a DOS games forum:

quote:

I don't think vanilla DOSBox has save states. DBGL is just a frontend and cannot have more functionality than DOSBox.

Save states are available in DOSBox SVN Daum and possibly other builds. Press Alt+F5 to save, and Alt+F9 to load a saved state.
The linked URL was this: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

Not sure I'd trust it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
I think Dosbox-X supports save states and is updated regularly.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Gradually continuing my replay of M&M2 and being reminded of all kinds of great things that wouldn't fly in a game made after the 1980s. Lloyd's Beacon can be used almost anywhere and effectively lets you max out on permanent stat boost locations as soon as you find them; set a beacon, cast Surface, bounce back and forth between the outdoors and the dungeon as needed. You don't even need to find the spell, since there's a Sorcerer hireling gated behind a fairly easy fight in Vulcania who starts with it. Getting everyone to 50+ Speed in particular is a huge advantage, since monsters will quickly start to outspeed a party with normal stats, and getting the first turn to escape an unwinnable fight can be the difference between life and death.

There are reasons people stopped making games like this, but it can still be a lot of fun to remember.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

My Elder Scrolls Online character was called Aftertug Sobbins and I got a lot of questions, though less so than with my brief second character, the Argonian Chugs-in-Tesco
I am finding all the character names posted here inspiring in various ways, but I did laugh out loud at Chugs-in-Tesco.

Also it helped remind me that I did not include in my list my excellent MMORPG naming scheme with my Goonbro Torrent, Pungo Eshere and Pungoe Shere. Clearly we were over other people's joke names at that point.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Boldor posted:

Pool of Radiance ludicrously-detailed guide updated to v1.40:

Additions and fixes:
  • Overhauled location numbers to mostly match those actually used by the game, and by Gold Box Companion and Gold Box Explorer. (I hadn't known about any of these before I wrote the original version.) There are still places where I don't use the internal numbering, to keep things simpler. This all makes this version incompatible with all previous versions, if going into that level of detail.
  • Split each map section into an overview section and a details section.
  • Added more game text.
  • Added coordinates to map annotations, if not ambiguous.
  • Added full section on Wilderness Lairs.
  • Added formalized list of bugs. (This is not comprehensive by any means.)
  • Added detail on how to successfully backstab.
  • Added yet another reason not to use NPCs: they make random combats larger.
  • Added strategy for using Animate Dead.
  • You can in fact fight Ogre Leaders, in the Wealthy Area or Temple of Bane. It requires a high Party Strength to have any chance of happening (at least 66) and is unlikely even then.
  • Snake Charm and Animate Dead scale to caster level, not caster hit points.
  • Dust of Disappearance will work even against enemies that see invisible, and is supposed to.
  • Magical armor never actually provides a saving throw bonus.
  • Rings of Protection rarely actually provide a saving throw bonus. The only one I know of where that actually works is the one carried by the THEURGIST (#110). (Another case where I was led astray by that working more reliably in the sequels.)
  • The Wand of Paralyzation can bypass Tyranthraxus's magic resistance.
  • Added more executable offsets: classes allowed by race, statistics by class.
  • Civilized Area: more detail on available NPCs.
  • Civilized Area: clarified that you must explicitly receive the commission for Podal Plaza to both perform and be rewarded for it.
  • Slums: the script doesn't check if you ran away before crediting you with victory against a set combat.
  • Slums: add description of bug that allows you to clear the area without fighting any set combats.
  • Sokal Keep: searching for the diary only works reliably if you were told about it by the spectral defenders.
  • Mendor's Library: more detail, including mechanics for green slime in the garden.
  • Podal Plaza: parley mechanics expanded and corrected.
  • Cadorna Textile House: you can't ever get all the random encounters without defeating the ogre.
  • Cadorna Textile House: added exploit which allows you to open the Cadorna family treasure repeatedly.
  • Wealthy Area: random encounter probability corrected.
  • Wealthy Area: added detail on how random encounters are constructed and resolved.
  • Wealthy Area: the four-orc patrol counts as encountered as long as you do anything other than fight them.
  • Nomad Camp: the Shaman's Bracers AC 2 is actually AC 4.
  • Yarash's Pyramid: now split into two separate sections, both for clarity and because that's how the game handles it internally.
  • Buccaneer Base: resting is disturbed by the next random encounter, if active.
  • Valhingen Graveyard: the two-handed sword vs. undead isn't actually a good choice here.
  • Stojanow Gate: more detail and accuracy.

Hahah, I've never been so glad to do a forums search as I am finding this. Thanks man!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hahah, I've never been so glad to do a forums search as I am finding this. Thanks man!

I'm a bit befuddled. Is this a fan patch, a mod, an official patch...?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm a bit befuddled. Is this a fan patch, a mod, an official patch...?

It's an extremely detailed guide updated as recently as November of last year, which for a game as old as Pool of Radiance is like finding a rosetta stone.

I just started listening to Critical Role and I decided a good companion would be replaying all the old Gold Box games, which I haven't done since . . .poo poo, since they came out, so like 1988 for PoR. . I set up this whole work from home office in an upstairs bedroom with multiple monitors, and connecting a crappy laptop to it and putting the game on one monitor, CR on youtube on another, and the manuals and journals on the third screen works surprisingly well.

I'm kinda amazed at how precisely I remember all the game's details. Guisarme-Voulge! Arax the Bold! Endlessly copying the Manual of Bodily Health until all my characters somehow gained regeneration!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 9, 2021

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's an extremely detailed guide updated as recently as November of last year, which for a game as old as Pool of Radiance is like finding a rosetta stone.

I just started listening to Critical Role and I decided a good companion would be replaying all the old Gold Box games, which I haven't done since . . .poo poo, since they came out, so like 1988 for PoR. . I set up this whole work from home office in an upstairs bedroom with multiple monitors, and connecting a crappy laptop to it and putting the game on one monitor, CR on youtube on another, and the manuals and journals on the third screen works surprisingly well.

I'm kinda amazed at how precisely I remember all the game's details. Guisarme-Voulge! Arax the Bold! Endlessly copying the Manual of Bodily Health until all my characters somehow gained regeneration!

Won't you need to add a 4th monitor to get any of your actual work done? :D

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nemo2342 posted:

Won't you need to add a 4th monitor to get any of your actual work done? :D

We are back in the office now so it's just an overly technological guest room.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Starting Pillars of Eternity 2 when it comes out on GamePass tomorrow, partially because I'm running a sailing/boat themed campaign in Dungeon World and I want to get some inspiration

Question, is it worth using the stock companions or should I just make a set of 6 custom characters, assuming that's an option like it was in the first one? For reference I love character building and hate playing unpaid therapist to a group of bafflingly designed Bioware-esque losers

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The companions in Deadfire are good, they have their own motives and IIRC at least one is likely to leave your party at a certain point because of a huge choice that pits various interests against one another. There's still the oddball "these dudes will follow you unquestioningly into battle" vibes that all CRPGs just kind of have to accept, but they're not Bioware quip machines waiting for your magic sex to heal their trauma.

There are also a bunch of minor companions who get very little dialogue, but bring more flavor than player-made NPCs.

Character building-wise, you have full control outside of their starting stats and class. You even get to choose the class from a selection of 2-3. If you have a real rad concept in mind you may need to go custom, but otherwise the companions are fine.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Exactly what I hoped to hear, particularly choosing their class, thank you - companions it is!

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I bought the original Neverwinter Nights when it came out, but never finished it. Pretty sure I spent more time looking at the cloth map and spiral-bound manual than playing the game. The only things I remember are some sort of plague and a weird radial menu which might also be a plague.

I'm going to jump into the OC today. My approach to character creation in D&D games is always a little weird because:

1. I hate leaving locks/traps unopened
2. I hate hiding, laying traps, and sneak attacks (backstabs only felt good in the original Dragon Age when I could openly wander behind an occupied enemy and melt their lifebar)
3. I hate buffing
4. I hate frequent resting

Obviously that doesn't leave much to actually do, so I'll probably wind up with some sort of frontline rogue/fighter with a shield or rogue/ranger.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Don't play the NWN1 original campaign in 2021, are you insane.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Don't play the NWN1 original campaign in 2021, are you insane.

I would rather play through the NWN1 campaign in 2021 than a number of other old games brought up in this thread, there's certainly better NWN1 content around but that's a tad overly dramatic.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

no it's really bad, terribly paced and insanely boring with almost no interesting or memorable characters

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It absolutely isn't overly dramatic, it genuinely is just pretty terrible. The NWN1 campaign is designed like a tech demo, it's pretty much just there to show off the capabilities of the engine and otherwise worse than even the pure excuse-for-dungeon-crawling storylines of the older Icewind Dale series.

The expansions were okay, but nobody liked the base campaign of NWN1 even when it was new.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'm definitely not expecting much, and have played plenty of terrible games for review. I'm just interested in experiencing the few BioWare RPGs I missed (this and... Sonic Chronicles lol) to see how clunky they are for myself.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
It's barely an RPG and more just a series of hallways with an incredibly poor plot and poo poo characters.

The best thing the base campaign does is provide context for some cool moments in the expansions, but it is not at all worth playing through those 50+ hours just to fluff up a couple moments later on.

The best advice anyone could ever follow for NWN and NWN2 is to skip straight to the expansion packs.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 24, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I'm definitely not expecting much, and have played plenty of terrible games for review. I'm just interested in experiencing the few BioWare RPGs I missed (this and... Sonic Chronicles lol) to see how clunky they are for myself.
It's not really bad in an entertaining way, just really, really boring. If you want to see what NWN was like at its best, play the expansions instead. Shadows of Undrentide is honestly pretty okay and you can still see the clunkiness of the system in it without being a total chore to play.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Cardiovorax posted:

It's not really bad in an entertaining way, just really, really boring.

This would be my opinion as well, without stating my opinion as if it were fact or being ludicrously hyperbolic. NWN's creation abilities and potential for sustained worlds and multi-player is really, really impressive given the era in which it came, but it was a disappointment to me personally because I'm not into MP and I prefer party-based games where I have full control, or at least the option of full control.

I personally think that NWN2s base campaign is quite solid, but ultimately it's a matter of taste and I can only give my opinion.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

chapter one is incredibly boring but everything else in the original campaign is fine. not like, good, at all, but fine.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I bought the original Neverwinter Nights when it came out, but never finished it. Pretty sure I spent more time looking at the cloth map and spiral-bound manual than playing the game. The only things I remember are some sort of plague and a weird radial menu which might also be a plague.

I'm going to jump into the OC today. My approach to character creation in D&D games is always a little weird because:

1. I hate leaving locks/traps unopened
2. I hate hiding, laying traps, and sneak attacks (backstabs only felt good in the original Dragon Age when I could openly wander behind an occupied enemy and melt their lifebar)
3. I hate buffing
4. I hate frequent resting

Obviously that doesn't leave much to actually do, so I'll probably wind up with some sort of frontline rogue/fighter with a shield or rogue/ranger.

so the way this works in nwn1 is that you very very specifically have to take your very first level as rogue, then switch to fighter or ranger (if you go high dex, going dual-weapon fighting with weapon finesse will probably be best.)

only rogues can open all locks and traps, and the skill point system has this goofy quirk that means if you're taking non-standard skills for your class you want to take them at level 1 or you'll be hopelessly behind forever

nwn1 should use 3e sneak attack, so you get the bonus damage just for attacking an enemy while flanking them, instead of needing to backstab them or be in stealth

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I personally think that NWN2s base campaign is quite solid, but ultimately it's a matter of taste and I can only give my opinion.
The base campaign for NWN 2 is pretty much perfectly fine, yeah. Not really memorable - they didn't get to that point until Mask of the Betrayer - but it's a very serviceable fantasy romp with solid D&D mechanics to help prop it up and make it satisfyingly crunchy.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
NWN2's biggest issue is that it frontloads most of the weakest parts, once past the world-famous orc caves it more or less steadily improves in quality (aside from some dips like the final dungeon) which ultimately peaks in MotB.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

NWN1 is perfectly serviceable, if utterly lacking in excitement. NWN2 is the sloggiest slog that ever slogged through slogs. The first chapter is dull as all get-out, while the second chapter has you fighting endless waves of stealthed rogues who unleash wave after wave of sneak attacks. Dumb as NWN1 is, 2 is one of the worst experiences in my RPG history.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

NWN1 OC is fine as a hack and slash campaign with some puzzles and dialogues on the side that KOTOR is going to repeat improved years later.

The first chapter sucks regardless though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Weedle posted:

no it's really bad, terribly paced and insanely boring with almost no interesting or memorable characters

Linu Laneral is good

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I opened all the NWN locks by being a sorcerer and having a familiar do it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I remember liking the NWN1 campaign, but even so it was just 'fine.' The expansions, as said, were far superior, and the first one even opens with them basically redoing the first chapter of the original campaign but more interesting. God drat did I love Neverwinter Nights growing up, though. Put so much time into playing around with the editor and never making anything decent. Never got to 2, though I bought it on GOG ages ago.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

inscrutable horse posted:

2 is one of the worst experiences in my RPG history.

This is what I meant about stating an opinion as fact and being ludicrously hyperbolic.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it's fine. everybody understands that saying a piece of media is good or bad is an opinion

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I do have to admit that I find it hard to imagine not hating NWN1 with a passion if you already think NWN2 was an unbearable slog.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

JustJeff88 posted:

This is what I meant about stating an opinion as fact and being ludicrously hyperbolic.

Good thing I didn't state it as fact, then, isn't it? Check out the three last words of the text you quoted. Now, unless my experiences speak definitively for everyone else, I'd say that was clearly my opinion.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
For nwn 1 the only campaign I played through was darkness over daggerford which I thought was really endearing, so now I’m trying to figure out if I wanna play through tyrants of the undersea or go straight to 2 with mysteries of westgate.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

neosloth posted:

For nwn 1 the only campaign I played through was darkness over daggerford which I thought was really endearing, so now I’m trying to figure out if I wanna play through tyrants of the undersea or go straight to 2 with mysteries of westgate.
honestly there are loads of good modules of Daggerford-quality, NWN1 is probably one of my most played games of all time for that reason (albeit I'm more discerning now than when I was in my early teens)

From memory Mysteries of Westgate isn't great, Mask of the Betrayer is the great expansion and Storms of Zehir is a lot of fun but quite polarising - I liked it a lot and it has a very old-school adventuring feel, but a lot of people didn't gel with it for understandable reasons. I'm assuming they're all included in whatever version of the game you can get now anyway, so worth trying them all I guess

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 24, 2021

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Weedle posted:

It's not *bad*, just extremely generic and cliched with a dash of sexism.

Play it enough to get the hang of the game, then jump into the fan-made modules.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

honestly there are loads of good modules of Daggerford-quality, NWN1 is probably one of my most played games of all time for that reason (albeit I'm more discerning now than when I was in my early teens)

From memory Mysteries of Westgate isn't great, Mask of the Betrayer is the great expansion and Storms of Zehir is a lot of fun but quite polarising - I liked it a lot and it has a very old-school adventuring feel, but a lot of people didn't gel with it for understandable reasons. I'm assuming they're all included in whatever version of the game you can get now anyway, so worth trying them all I guess

Storms of Zehir is NWN2.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am one of many here who counts the original Neverwinter Nights campaign as one of his worst CRPG experiences, possibly the worst of games I actually finished (besides Lionheart, though Lionheart was significantly worse).

That said, I watched Noah Caldwell-Gervais' entire 3-hour video about the series and immediately bought the Enhanced Edition on Steam because it does sound like literally everything ELSE ever officially released for the game is good-to-great, as Cardiovorax and Catlord and I think someone else has already said too. But you can also let this guy hype you up for the whole thing (though he seemed to like the original campaign a bit more than the rest of us; seriously, for me, the fact that half of your inventory disappeared between acts because they were single-use puzzle items you no longer needed felt like I was playing a fan game, and yes that still bothers me 15+ years later apparently)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUHeWaDjuZ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
The Might and Magic community just got a bump from this vid from Sseth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG9g2byXR2c

I'm a part of a M&M Discord and there's been at least 40-50 new members in the past couple days.

Gotta love when a popular youtuber bumps up a classic series.