Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

http://mybjd-asia.forumms.net/t53-creating-eyebrows-for-bjd-tutorial-part-1

Here's a pretty great tutorial on how to do eyebrows. I've heard of some people making masking tape templates for a doll's eyebrows to get them symmetrical, but I can't attest to how well this works.

Oh wow, that makes so much more sense than just about everything else I've ever seen. Makes me want to try redoing my doll's crappy faceup yet again. It's also why I ordered my Puki that I got her with a factory faceup. I ordered my Puki through Denver Doll Emporium, and they were able to ask the factory to use the default Sugar style eyebrows on my Pongpong, because I haaaaaate the little sort of half-eyebrows that the default Pongpong face has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I have 3 BJDs, two of which have terrible faceups because I did them myself. The one I sorta consider my pride and joy (despite her having a terrible faceup) is my Happydoll Dorothy. I managed to get her just before Happydoll went out of business, and I don't think I've seen even used ones for sale since, so I know I was lucky to get her when I did. Downside is that her boobs make it hard to find pre-made clothes that will fit.

(The faceup actually looks better in this picture than I think it does in real life. Hosted on my livejournal.)

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Have you tried buying clothes that are designed for Iplehouse's EIDs? They're typically designed with T&A in mind.

Looking at measurements, that'd actually be like about the only doll that's got measurements several cm larger than my doll's. The dress she's wearing in that picture is a Dollmore Model doll dress, but I don't really like most of what they have available on their site.

Just annoying as hell to see something oh-so-cute and then read "Fits SD13 and similar" because there's no way I could fit her into SD13 clothes. The Volks SD-16 is close, but the waist measurement means that those clothes might be just too tight to fit there, too.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Little Miss RKO posted:

You can rinse her hair in warm water to get out some of the glue! :eng101:

And similarly, you can use hot (possibly even boiling) water to help set it in the shape you want it without using a ton of gel/glue/whatever. Just be sure to take a few strands and test it in the water temp to make sure it's not too hot.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've had great results out of Crayola watercolor pencils, and I'm trying to remember what the brand is for the white one I needed for another doll...

If you have an art supply store, you can probably ask, and also likely be able to buy single pencils, so you can just get the color you need instead of paying for a bunch that you'll never use.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Pick posted:

I've been out of the hobby for a while (despite still owning like six dolls) and I had forgotten how expensive everything was. It was all "this doll outfit is how much!?" and I'm like, wait, I've bought that stuff. Weird.

Yeah. That's why my PukiPuki still doesn't have real clothes. Or a wig. Or why my 60cm Happydoll Dorothy still has the crappy self-done faceup and only one real outfit.

In my book, though, that Dorothy is still the best $700 I spent student loan money on, because my chances of getting one when I finally have real money would have been next to none...I don't think I've ever seen one up for sale secondhand, and HappyDoll is out of business.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Anybody know where I can find cute clothes for my 60cm Happydoll girl? I've had a bit of luck with a Dollmore Model F dress, but most of what they have on offer is too mature a look for my girl. I want more cutesy, EGL-ish style and finding things that fit her boobs is such a pain.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Etheldreda posted:

Mild thread resurrection to post my second faceup attempt. This is a Dollstown Soyu head.

Man, better than any of my attempts at faceups ever came out. And I love that the freckles actually look like freckles and not like it's just dirty or super unnatural.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Intoner posted:

I'm still pretty new on the forums and found my way here from the "Ask me about growing up with a girl who thinks she's married to anime guys"-thread and I'm honestly happy to see some non-crazy BJD collectors.

I have a few Dollfie Dreams myself and have to say that I find the ways some other collectors talk about (or even with) their dolls a little strange. They're sources for creativity and sometimes real works of art.

It's also really cool that many users here do the face ups for their dolls themselves. I've been thinking about doing this too, but I'm too scared about using wrong materials for it and ruining the vinyl or inhaling poisonous MSC. So compliments to all of you :)

I'm looking forward to see more pieces of work here in the future.

Heh, I hate how my attempts at faceups have gone, the only one I like is actually on my pukipuki, and it was done by the manufacturer. I was very happy that I was able to request that they use the eyebrow style from the pukipuki Sugar on Pongpong but other than that it's just default.

I had to go digging through things to find these pictures (slightly better than potato quality):

(The terrible eyebrows are the most visible thing when you make that pic full-size, the rest of it really isn't much better.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Personally I'd think it'd be okay for you to post here about it. Two of my dolls are 1/4 and 1/3 scales, I'm not really sure what scale my tiny is. I've seen scale knitting for tinies and holy poo poo those are some tiny-rear end needles.

• Locked thread