Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vdate posted:

I dunno if it's a typo in the Mecha HQ entry or the source material, but I believe I encountered the Leo's profile there, and noted that the profile said its empty weight was 2 tons. TWO tons. To get it down that low they'd have to be built out of magnesium or something, which would explain the incendiary tendancies.

Gundam Wing robots are all comically light.

ActionZero posted:

Pretty sure this isn't the case, Setsuna's ace bonus refers specifically to Gundams and units with a Solar Furnace, the Enact draws solar power from the orbital ring but a solar furnace is a completely different piece of tech to that and you shouldn't see enemies equipped with them until you're much further into the game.

Yeah, the "Solar Furnace" mentions there is a specific plot thing from 00. Setsuna just naturally does a crapload of damage and Patrick sucks, you don't get to see how comically broken his ace bonus is until GN-Xs start showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Well, that just makes Setsuna's Ace Bonus even worse. I was figuring he could at least use it against all the robots from his own series, but now it's just high end robots from his own series.

This is going to be a much better bonus in the second game where literally everything has one or more. Assuming they don't change Setsuna's ace bonus every single 00 stage is going to be like the united factions attacking Celestial Being only moreso.

Admittedly Z2: Rebirth is going to have some completely batshit units. The Guren Eight Elements, higher-tier G-L units, Shin Dragon, an upgraded version of Aquarion... they all be nuts as hell.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 29, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Japan Route is more fun to start with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gulping Again posted:

JAPAN TIME

I stuck with the route that starts at Japan the entire game my first time through. No regrets. It's probably the best overall route, units-wise.

Granted, the routesplits are kinda imbalanced. There's an obvious Super Robot route, an obvious Real Robot route, and then there's The Area 11 Route.

The best route.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

:cawg: They can try I guess.

Also:

I've seen plenty of androgynous men in anime before but this guy takes the "Dude Looks Like a Lady" cake.

Here he is in Season 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Let's face it, half the reason Shin Mazinger exists is to make Mazinger Z into a loving awesome SRW unit.

And the other half is so Imagawa can troll us with another ending promising the moon, stars and all things under the sky

Classic Mazinger Z was an awesome unit in Neo. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Shinji bitchslaps Kira Yamato" is a pretty big misreading of that scene.

It's based on the scene in the Gundam SEED anime where the protagonist has become a giant rear end in a top hat because he is being used by another character. He basically snaps angrily that Shinji can't understand what it is like to be forced into a fighting robot and Shinji's response is "Actually, yes, I do."

It's followed by a pretty fun sequence where Shinji gets to mentor a Gundam Kid into getting over himself because Shinji had done so in an earlier game with help from earlier Gundam kids. It's payoff for Shinji's character arc and ends up with him and Kira becoming friends. Alphaverse Shinji gets some really awesome plot in general.

SEED is one of those shows that ends up a lot better the more SRW fucks with it. The worst inclusion was J where they did the plot straight and it was drat near intolerable.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 3, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just for the record, Z2.2 is out and it confirms that "Brasta" is the intended translation of the robot's name

The upgrade is Librastar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Patware posted:

I'm hoping this one just slipped the LPer's mind. I was really looking forward to seeing this one shown off, given the fact that you probably do have to be a little bit insane to try and play a SRW in its native language.

SRWZ2 part 2 just came out. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what caused the distraction.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know, being microwaved for being a racist rear end in a top hat is like the best possible dead for Miwa. He doesn't deserve the dignity of a super robot beatdown

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Go after Celestial Being. After all, there are still series we haven't seen...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

Well I don't actually believe Tauruses are in Z2.1, it only covers Gundam Wing up through about episode 10. In Z2.2 however they have around 1000-1200 armor which is standard for Real Robot enemies. The wimpy mass produced Axios you fight usually have

They most certainly are. They show up relatively late, around the same time as the GN-Xs. The Gundam Wing faction launches a bunch of them, including one with Noin, during the last Gundam 00 stage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TK-31 posted:

We've already seen what the Japan route offers, let's switch it up with the Celestial Being route. Because we need to see Heero talk with Setsuna.

Dai-Guard is definitely worth at least a try if you're into mecha, it appears to be like other super robot shows but ultimately is a lot more like Patlabor - character focused, semi-realistic, and slice of lifeish.

There's only one reason to switch routes. Chirico. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vilkacis posted:

It still sounds hilarious. I know next to nothing about Gundam beyond the original show (I'm working on it, though), so what popped into my head was this:

For those who haven't played Mass Effect 2, this guy tends to run into battle while loudly declaring "I am krogan!", krogan being the name of his species. He's less Gundam coloured in the actual game, though.

Knowing anything about Gundam doesn't make Setsuna make any more sense. Z2 is completely unashamed of making fun of how hosed up and insane he is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Shuttle is pretty amazing in that it goes from crap to being without question the second best support unit in the entire game in Z2.2. All it needs is a small upgrade and its amazing selection of spells makes it great bar-none.

The reason it is not the best is because it exists in a game with (I don't think this needs to be spoilered since it's for Z2.2 not Z2.1) Nekki Basara.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

I run all super robots all the time. If you're not brightly coloured and piloted by someone whose primary motivation is justice, GET OFF MY TEAM.

(okay, Amuro can come too)

Considering this game, that doesn't exactly count out any of the real robots. You've got Code Geass and Gundam 00, both of which are both brightly colored and full of justice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Out of curiosity, is it spoilery to ask whether Gaia's going to be Takeru's main mech for a while, or is it going to be like Little Zambot and mini-God Sigma's short runs in Z1 and only go a few missions before getting upgraded to Godmars?

Godmars is a somewhat unique robot in how it functions. You'll find out more about it later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gulping Again posted:

Nope. She's in the top ten, certainly, but it's not her.

Ryouma Nagare takes the spot based solely on his terrifying loving damage output that he gets from his ace bonus. The support he gets from Hayato and Musashi's wonderful seishin lists is the icing on the cake.

In case you're wondering, my bottom tier pilots are Aoi(until she upgrades from Nova Eagle) Renton(STATS SO BAD AGH), and Lunamaria(The least useful unit in the entire game)

Lunamaria's actually quite good. The Impulse is an overall solid unit, largely due to the fact that it was a protagonist unit prior to Shinn's upgrade and it carries over all the benefits that implies. The Excalibur attack is actually pretty drat good for a non-protagonist unit's finisher and gets better if you invest in it. The only problem she has is with accuracy, solved by her Ace bonus in both games.

The most useless unit in the game is and will forever remain the Gundam DX. Even Sarah's Panther is better because her Ace bonus increases her finisher's damage and she has Love with Gainer so her damage output will easily surpass the DX's.

And as far as top units go:
Any list that fails to include Apollo sadly doesn't work. It takes a ridiculous amount of time for Aquarion to not be by-and-far the best unit in the game simply based off the Elements System.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 20, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, are Godmars and God Sigma brother series' ala Mazinger and Great Mazinger, or is that teamup I heard about just the SRW writers playing with the crossover?

You're probably mixing up things.

There's a robot called God Sigma Gravion which has a teamup with another robot called Gravion. Godmars and God Sigma don't have one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

Really? I just never when watching the show thought that the MAP weapon in Z2.2 should have been the MAP weapon. Photon Beam makes more sense to me.

What is and isn't a map weapon in SRW can be really weird. There's a lot of attacks that feel like they should be and just plain aren't. It seems the developers go more for "would this dramatically wreck an entire group" instead of "is this really big?"

There are even fairly regularly moves that are MAP attacks in the context of the show which aren't in-game. The Squad system helped a bit with this by giving them a midpoint between MAP and single-target with ALL attacks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alacron posted:

Wait, so this version of Dancougar has a token guy instead of a token girl? Is there some sort of wacky harem anime hijinks to go along with this? Or-

Ah, there we go then.

Actually, could someone more versed in Super Robots tell me about this one? Seems to me like a robot with a mostly female crew is the exception rather than the rule.

Also, since this game uses Shin Mazinger, I'm assuming that (not sure if this is a spoiler or not but better safe than sorry) Tetsuya and Great Mazinger never show up? Cuz if so that's a drat shame, it's been one of the better units in every SRW game I've played.

Dancougar Nova is literally Gravion Drei. It even features characters from Gravion in it, admittedly in cameo form. For some reason they decided to make it a Dancougar show instead, but it is in all respects indistinguishable from another Gravion show. It is also terrible. Like, seriously just an all-around bad show.

Tetsuya and Great never show, no.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

In 00 the Haros are still fanservice but they actually do stuff, Haros are Support AIs like the one we saw in Victory Gundam. Lock-On's Haro helps him fly the Dynames while he's focused on sniping. We'll meet another person later in the game with a Haro, and S2 (featured in Z2.2) has a third pilot who has a Haro to help him fly his unit and reveals the Celestial Being mothership is partially run by Haros.

And that is why the Haros are stupid in 00. In SEED they're harmless fanservice. In 00 they represent crazy powerful AIs that nobody ever exploits in a sensible way. The Haros are amongst the worst things in a show full of stupid poo poo. I hate the idea of adding a setting-changing thing as fanservice and then basically ignoring it. Aside from having Lockon's dumb Haro repeat his name over and over and having Saji replaced by a Haro at the end of 00S2. Fanservice bothers more more when they try to make it a plot point. (See also: ZAKUs)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 11, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crummelhorn posted:

I'd say Heero, but we've already seen him...Lelouch? He is a pretty poo poo pilot, if I remember correctly..

There's no way. Gawain makes up for Lelouch's crappiness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is Garrod that much worse in this game? I thought he was pretty solid in Z - not an extremely powerful mech but generally capable of keeping up with the competition, and the HASSHA!!! was always fun to use.

Garrod is one of the worst choices for Gundam DX, which is turn one of the worst mecha in the game and easily the worst protagonist unit in the game.

DX is so bad that when you get the Gundam X Divider in Z2.2, it is a much better unit overall even though DX gets an upgrade on the same stage you get Gundam X.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Son Ryo posted:

He's not the greatest unit ever, but he's far from unusable. He was one of my mainstays in Z2.2 even when the moon wasn't out.

Of course, that may have had something to do with the fact that he was the first unit I fully upgraded, but...

The thing is that if you full upgraded pretty much any other unit in the game you'd get a better impact, and if you put almost any other pilot into the unit you fully upgraded you'd get a better unit. A free cast of Luck is actually overall less useful than Witz and Roybea's "+20% money + a free passive bonus" and utterly pales in comparison to Jamil's "get 9 levels of Newtype."

Poor Garrod just is screwed over by the design of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I think what this thread needs is definitely more enormous spoiler bars, but are you all sure it's not Reborns?

It is 100% not. Even if you ignored everything else, the official translation is Ribbons Almark.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

^I'm watching the dub, who's Fukuyama play? That said, the dub is pretty drat good too IMO particularly since it features Johnny Young Bosch doing quite well as a very different kind of character than the Hot-Blooded beat-your-face-in warrior he's usually typecast as.

He voiced Lelouch.

Man, I absolutely hated JYB. He was completely the wrong voice for that kind of character and he just does a terrible job with it. Admittedly, I think JYB is probably one of the worst voice actors doing dubs. He's got like one voice and any time they cast him outside of something that uses that one voice he fucks it up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Mind you, the only other thing I've watched much of where he has a big role is Bleach, so maybe I'm just not of sick of him as you are.

Yeah, he's done a lot. My biggest hatred for him is in Eureka 7 where he voiced Renton, and basically made me hate Eureka 7 for ages until the point where I watched it dubbed and now it's one of my favorites. He really really ruined Renton (who is, admittedly, an easy character to ruin.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

And here goes my favorite of the initial route splits.

Kallen (which she goes by in both her Brittanian and Japanese guises, by the by - she simply changes her last name between Stadfelt and Kozuki) starts off pretty well flummoxed by her sub-par mech, but her upgrade is a thing of pure beauty - and unlike Chirico, she's usually pretty rediculous even at full health. Her Glasgow is still worth upgrading though - anything you put on it gets transferred to Kallen's upgrade, like in most SRWs.

If I recall, the English version of the show actually uses Karen for the Brittanian version and Kallen for the Japanese version. Which sort of makes sense because "Karen " is more of a Brittanianish name than Kallen. (.. well, as reasonable a one as you can get when there are characters named Rivalz and Lelouch.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kallen murders a pretty impressive number of people. That's just how she rolls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KDavisJr posted:

Well, I know Lulu had issues in general. And Geass makes them even worse. I'm surprised the dude doesn't completely lose his poo poo by the end of the anime.

He pretty much does. I mean, his entire final plan is committing suicide in an attempt to redeem himself for all the crazy poo poo he did. Suicide by becoming a dictator rear end in a top hat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Code Geass R2 is a bizarre show. It's bad. It is really really bad. 7/8ths of the show feel like they're making poo poo up, doing completely random things, introducing stupid characters for stupid reasons. The very very last bit of the show feels like it is the intended ending of Season 1, just coming much much later and after a lot more stupid. The best I can say about it is that it is an absolutely terrible show but it has a thematically appropriate ending. In that way it is the reverse of a lot of other good shows which gently caress up their ending. Geass' ending is the only thing in R2 it got close to right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geass has a completely insane tech progression. The last-generation Knightmare Frames are basically tiny incarnate gods who can control entire battlefields by themselves. Which is probably why Suzaku vs Kallen is about the only good fight in the series once those guys debut. It's really weird in SRW where you go from the crap-rear end Glasglow fighting tanks and helicopter to Destroyer of Worlds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TK-31 posted:

Just by being a portable group buff dispenser that would make Basara proud Zero is already great, he doesn't get EXP from buffing people though does he? Either way I bet the both of them together make for a completely bonkers combination.

Basara kicks the poo poo out of Zero as a buff dispenser once he shows up in 2.2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The game expects players to have already see E7 or at least the Z1 adaptation of E7. I would give any information you need to that was presented in Z1. You kind of can't avoid it because the E7 movie really plays off the television series in a specific way.

I would just give any information that was present in Z1, televison spoilers be damned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I never got around to watching the E7 movie, but from what I've read on Wikipedia, it's a totally different beast from the TV show, isn't it? I'm really curious to see how, if at all, they make its inclusion make sense.

Actually, there's a lot of series/robots that don't seem like they should fit anywhere near the paths we've seen so far. I'm thinking specifically of Gurren Lagann and Big O

It is very specifically a different beast. The reasoning why is a spoiler but it is still deeply connected to E7. (Much like how E7:AO takes place in modern day Earth but is also deeply connected to E7.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

I haven't seen the E7 movie since I heard bad things about but can someone post how different it was from the series?

It takes place in a completely different setting and universe, but with similar characters and robots. There is a reason for this (although it's really pretty dumb.) The fact that it is different from the series is the entire point of the movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Actually I don't like either of the E7 movie themes they use. E7 in Z had the awesome Storywriter, Days (also by Flow!), and Cherry, and they were good for E7 themes. What happened?

E7 movie is a different universe. I don't think any of those songs showed up in it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The movie Nirvash is a strong contender for the absolute worst protagonist unit in the game. It's beaten only by Gundam DX and even then it's a close contest. It just sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Yes. Right now, we've got
  • Ptolemaios (ship)
  • Lagann (event)
  • Trider G7
  • Shuttle
  • Gaia
  • Cosmo Crusher
  • Gundam Exia
  • Gundam Dynames
  • Gundam Kyrios
  • Gundam Virtue
  • Nova Eagle
  • Getter-1/2/3
  • Mazinger Z
  • Aphrodite A
  • Dai-Guard
  • Brasta

Of the bottom 14, two are staying out. Ships are separate and EV units are automatic.

Drop Nova Eagle (because gently caress Dancougar Nova) and Aphrodite A.

• Locked thread