Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
If I went with the $30 T-Mobile plan, could I also buy one of the 1000 minute blocks that last all year to cover myself? I usually use about 200 minutes a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

ilkhan posted:

No.
You would just purchase more than $30 of t-mobile credit each month, and the extra minutes get charged at 10 cents each.
Autopay has the option to autopay to x dollars over your plan each month, just to make it easy. So if you use your $30 for a plan and an extra 36 minutes, it would autopay for $33.60 to put you back to your plan+10 amount.

Monthly 4G is still PRE-paid, so you have to have money in the account before you can use extra minutes.

Thanks for the answer. One more question: If I threw $40 in there and only used $35, would the $5 carry over to the next month?

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

Parker Lewis posted:

Because I have two front pockets on my pants and my keys go in one and my phone goes in the other. The iPhone 5S takes fine pictures, I'm not going to start carting a Canon PowerShot around everywhere I go because the Moto X is slow to get software updates on Republic Wireless.

Didn't Motorola put their camera app in the Play Store so you can get updates for it without system updates?

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

Just got my Republic Wireless Moto X and am absolutely loving it so far. Turns out Sprint is decent enough if you're only looking to use it for calls and texts.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

I've been on Republic Wireless for almost a month too and it's been great for me. I was on the $10 plan but switched to the $25 plan for a business trip and while Sprint's 3G is pretty slow, it was good enough for quick Facebook checks and such. And no problems with calls or texts at all. I'm pretty happy with it.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

After a few months on Republic Wireless, I decided to pull the trigger on a Nexus 5 and use it on AIO. It should be arriving on Wednesday, I shouldn't have any problems taking it into the AIO store and getting it on the Basic plan, right? Or is it one of those things where it would be easier to do everything through the website?

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

I had Republic for a few months. Calls sounded great on my end but about half the time, people would say there was a thumping noise on their end. Using Sprint for data when I was away from Wi-Fi was painful. I switched to a Nexus 5 on AIO's Basic plan for $10 more a month and the service is well worth the extra cash.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

Get a Nexus 5. It's unlocked and should work on most GSM networks.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

Etrips posted:

So my wife and I are finally wanting to get off of AT&T's crappy pricing plan since an old roommate left my plan and the bill has gone up significantly. Right now I guess we are looking at Straight Talk for $45/month per phone which is pretty sweet. Right now she is still under contract, so we would have to pay the ETF. So how hard of a process is it to switch over exactly? Could someone give me a primer on how to do this? And is Straight Talk a decent provider?

If you're sticking to AT&T's network, I'd recommend AIO over ST. If you set up prepay, you'd still be paying $45 for 2.5GB of LTE data per line and in my experience, the customer service is excellent.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

Edit: Never mind, I apparently can't read.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

Saint Fu posted:

I just activated my AIO account and am able to send/receive SMS almost immediately (took less than 2 minutes). I still don't have data though after about 10 minutes. Is it common for SMS/voice and data to activate at different times?

I had that problem too. I hopped on a chat with them and they walked me through the settings to get it all fixed in about 5-10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

SB35 posted:

Might text or airdroid for SMS, or consider using a chat client such as Facebook messenger or WeChat.

Seconding Mighty Text.

• Locked thread