Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Trip report: GrooVeIP works surprisingly drat well over 4G via T-mobile here in Chicago, and amazingly over WiFi. Just my 2 cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Naffer posted:

Do either skype or grooveIP support automatic handoff between wifi and 3g? That would be an awesome feature.

I can test that in a minute, I'm leaving work and will see if the call drops. :)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

ShaneB, any update on this? I'm curious if this works at all.

Oh no that sucked bad. It doesn't handoff well between networks.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I know most of us know most of this already, but I found this guide handy:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646755

I like the addition of the Tasker that automatically turns on Airplane mode when you are connected to Wi-Fi, because I have found GrooveIP so unreliable over 4G that I'd rather use some of my precious 100 minutes to take the call, and only use it over wi-fi. Turning on Airplane mode means you avoid the double ring issues when you have calls forwarded to both Google Chat (which goes to GrooveIP) and your phone.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

1karus posted:

I really want to do this!

So do it, son.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rooster Brooster posted:

Is there any solution for using GrooveIP and having it NOT ring my non-VOIP line when I'm on wifi? I saw that solution using Tasker above, but I'd rather something simpler if at all possible. It'd be nice if I could just tell Google Voice to "ring" Google Chat three times, then ring my cell three times, then dump to my cell's voicemail (as I'm T-Mobile and can't use Google Voice's voicemail).

The tasker solution is actually very simple, it takes like 10 minutes to do.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

It simply isn't an option.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just recently moved from T-Mobile $30 to Straight Talk AT&T. I was tired of the lack of service in nearly any rural area on T-Mobile, and kept running out of minutes as well. Even though I wasn't spending $45 a month, I figured the increased service area for Straight Talk would be worth the upgrade.

I'm pretty annoyed with Straight Talk's use of the mvno proxy, which seems to be the cause of a lot of pages/apps not loading correctly without refreshing a few times from time to time, and also causes some apps to simply NOT WORK, like Subsonic (won't connect to servers through a proxy, apparently) and SpeedTest (not mission critical, but whatever). I understand you used to formerly be able to just not put the proxy in the APN settings, but both times I have done that the data simply stops working after a bit.

Is this something that is just part of the deal of using Straight Talk, or are my issues not very common? The same issues were happening on both an old iPhone 3G that I was using until I snagged an HTC One X from a buddy, which I am using until my GNex comes back from Samsung repair.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Smeed posted:

I have straight talk with an ATT sim and I've never used their proxy. I fill in the port (80) but never the info for the server. Speed tests, YouTube and streaming apps work fine.

I'll try to leave the port info in and see how long data works this time.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tommy Wiseau posted:

I'm on the t-mobile awesome pre-paid $30 mo. using GSM Galaxy Nexus. I'll be in Europe for the next few weeks...what are my options as far as phone/data connectivity?

Buy a SIM over there?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Just a little report. I use StraightTalk and in the past week streamed about 400MB from my subsonic server, 32MB from pandora (comedy station is efficient!), and used about 150mb from google voice, facebook, browser, etc. I got a call today saying my data usage is excessive. I know this is a thing that can happen, so I was just mentioning that it does!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

For about 3-4 days my speeds with Straight Talk have been in the shitter. I am nowhere near even 2GB of data for this period and never stream anything. Has anyone else experienced issues like this? I'm going to call and ask what's up, just curious.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Google for "straight talk apn" without the quotes, I know Straight Talk themselves say you're supposed to be on some particular settings, and XDA are known to adjust performance by noodling with APN proxies and such.

I use CM which seems to put its own settings in anyway. I should try to use the default ones ST says to use, I guess.

Edit: yeah adding the proxy did nothing.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 11, 2012

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Calling Straight Talk support was useless other than to confirm they hadn't throttled my account for abuse. Speeds are still like 100k/sec here in Chicago... I'm close to just dumping it for T-Mobile again, even though T-M sucks in anything remotely rural

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OK, my plan just re-upped for the month and my speeds are back. My data usage last month, according to CM (which I don't know if it splits wi-fi out from 3/4g or not), was 1.7GB. I never streamed or tethered. If this happens again during this month I'm done with Straight Talk. I had 2G speeds for about a week, which is just dumb.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

There isn't just the mystery 2gb limit. There is also the mystery hundreds of mbs per day limit. Some say if you're on pace to go well over 2gb for several days in a row, you will get throttled. A call to Straight Talk usually clears this up. Some also say removing the proxy from the APN will avoid being throttled.

I don't run with the proxy at all, but putting it back did nothing. I also called Straight Talk, they claimed there was no throttle on my account. I assume they straight-up lied to me. Their "support" was all fairly clearly overseas, which (perhaps xenophobically) never fills me with much hope.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

StraightTalk has sent me 4 emails over the past 4-5 days acknowledging my monthly payment, along with 3 texts. This company is driving me crazy lately...

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Delta-Wye posted:

I was wondering about this, so here is my charges for my first month of Straight Talk:

Unlimited $45.00
Discounts and Credits $0.00
Tax1 $4.28
E911 Fee2 $0.95
Federal Universal Service3 $0.68
Regulatory Cost Recovery4 $0.09

Final Purchase Amount $51.00

Not quite $45 in the end :smith:

Do you not have auto-payment? Also if you use Google Voice, just put your address someplace with cheap taxes. I live in Chicago but use a Cleveland-based number, and just have it forward from Google Voice.

Prepay drops it down to like 42.50:

Subtotal $42.50
Discounts and Credits $2.50
Tax1 $3.29
E911 Fee2 $0.24
Federal Universal Service3 $0.64
Regulatory Cost Recovery4 $0.08
Final Purchase Amount $46.75

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

savesthedayrocks posted:

I've got a daily text for the last 4 days confirming my payment. I'm new to straittalk, is this normal?

No. And it's driving me up the wall.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Is it reasonable to use the TMO low minutes plan with GrooveIP to avoid using minutes?

To be honest, not IMO. It's a pain in the rear end and more error-prone than I cared for. Combined with TMO's fairly lovely non-urban coverage, I left for ATT on StraightTalk within a few months of TMO.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OK, I'm on Straight Talk, and for probably the 6th month in a row the exact same thing has happened: around the 2 week mark in my month of service, my speeds clearly get throttled. According to the data tracker on Cyanogen, I never use more than 2gb, never do big crazy spikes one day, don't stream anything, etc. Totally normal usage. But I get throttled and speeds suck for the next 2 weeks until the plan renews and the auto-pay goes through. I live in Chicago, am on an AT&T SIM, and use a Galaxy Nexus. Of course tech support is completely no help, and say "no your account has not been throttled" when they probably don't even have the ability to pull up any details like that in whatever crazy city in the world they are operating from...

Is this a common thing? I'm about ready to try to find cheap GSM alternatives.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Its not Straight Talk, it's AT&T doing it.

The problem is that, apparently, the Net10 hard cap of 1.5gb/mo or 50mb/day is also on Straight Talk but not officially announced.

AT&T have placed this restriction on Net10 without telling TracFone why. I checked around XDA and HowardForums and this is happening to a lot of ST AT&T users.

T-Mobile isn't as greedy with data so switching to them can fix the issue but they're not as expansive as AT&T.

A few things: how can ST advertise one thing yet not deliver it? Also, this happens before I hit 1.5gb/mo. What are my options if this keeps happening? Just leave? I left T-Mobile's prepaid for ST because I needed the broader coverage AT&T offered. T-Mobile is a joke outside of most major metro areas.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I replaced my Straight Talk 4G AT&T SIM with an LTE AT&T SIM. It came in just a few days and transferring to the new SIM took like 1 minute online. Speeds are fast. Highly recommended.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SB35 posted:

Oh, can you just switch SIM cards online, while keeping the same number in that short amount of time? I use Gvoice so it really doesn't matter, but I'm curious. If that's possible, can I switch SIMs now instead of waiting until my month runs out on the current SIM?

I use gvoice as well but I use my secondary (real) number for MMS texting with a particular subset of contacts.

Yeah, it just switches the SIM attached to your account, as far as I know.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SB35 posted:

Cool. I'll have to look into this. I'd love to switch to my at&t LTE sim now and get off my Tmo SIM instead of waiting 3 weeks.

Just login, click on activate, and select the option for transfering existing service.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

hotsauce posted:

You just shut idiots down and they go away. I highly recommend porting over.

But then you are stuck with all the bugs and terrible interface of Google Voice. And no MMS. So there are pros and cons to dealing with a google voice # and a "real" number.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can still use Hangouts with Voice. All you need to do is set it so the GV app forwards the SMS people send to your GV number to whatever you have set as the default SMS application. Since Hangouts is set, then that's where the messages go to.

Each message comes from a number that would only make sense to GV itself. It wouldn't even be in the correct area code. However, if you message that number back using your phone, tablet (via GV only), or computer, it'll show up to the other person as your GV number.

Example:

My real number is 123-456-7890 and my GV is 098-765-4321. You messaged that (098) number, your message will go to the default SMS app (in this case, Hangouts). However, your real number is 555-555-5555 but when I receive that message, it shows up as 1-554-552-5552. This second number (554) only makes sense to Google Voice but if I message it, even from my (123) number, you will only see the (098) number. This way, I can use Hangouts without needing to worry about anyone knowing my real number.

The thing is, and this was the same in AOSP Messaging as well, you can't get MMS to my GV number unless the other person is on Sprint or using Sprint's network. If they are on Sprint (and only Sprint, no Virgin Mobile or Boost Mobile), the MMS goes to my e-mail. If they're not on Sprint, it goes into the ether.

The way I did all of this:

1. Go to the voice.google.com > click the Gear > Settings > find your number and tick the "Receive text messages on this phone" option.

2. Go to the Google Voice app > Overflow Menu > Settings > Sync and Notifications > Under "Receive text messages", make sure it says "Via the messaging app".

It should work the way I described above. If you want the person's contact card to show up, then add that number GV gives you to the person's card in the People app (or Contacts, depending on what it's named) and then name it "GV" so you know what number it is.

Yes, this method sucks for all of the above.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

hotsauce posted:

You will receive MMS via email only if it's sent from Sprint or T-Mobile. MMS is dead to me honestly. No big deal, IMO. Maybe I'm just getting old.

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah I've also given up on MMS. When someone asks me about a picture they sent me I'm like "are you from the past?"

You guys must not have girlfriends/wives/kids... every girl I've dated in the past year+ wants to send photos of cute poo poo from time to time. Pets, nieces/nephews, whatever.

MMS is just a thing that still exists and the fact that GV hasn't made it work shows how little they loving care about GV.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

A few of my friends are finally switching to Straight Talk and having MMS issues. No APN settings work. This seems to be a common issue on the net, as well... anyone know of decent solutions?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cool.... my Straight Talk plan just renewed for the month and after about like 2 years of perfectly fine service MMS's aren't downloading. What the hell?

Edit: user error. I had put the old cingular MMS proxy into the app settings itself for some reason. I guess they officially ended support for it.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 11, 2014

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If I ever have another problem with Straight Talk I'll probably move to AIO, but for now it ain't broke so I don't want to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TLG James posted:

Just port to google voice and never deal with that poo poo again.

The google voice SMS app, and Google Voice in general, is so loving terrible and unsupported by Google that after, I dunno, 3 years of Google Voice use I officially abandoned it this month.

I don't know how anyone can seriously recommend using it anymore.

• Locked thread