Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

goku chewbacca posted:

Their pricing structure is great as long as you don't use too much data.

If you're on Sprint's network it's pretty hard to use too much data :v

I'm switching away from a Sprint MVNO to prepaid. The T-Mobile $30 plan sounds great, because I make very few calls, except that I have to sit in on a conference call once a month that usually lasts 2-2.5 hours. I'm usually home for it, so I could use VoIP, but it sounds like all of that is going away in May? Or do you just have to use Google's servers? Also T-Mobile's service is just rated "good" in my area, how good is "good?" Will I get 4g?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="422567532"]
VoIP can't just "go away". What would that even mean? If you have a solid connection, wifi preferred, you can use voip to get unlimited minutes.

:rolleyes: Yeah, I meant that all VoIP worldwide is disappearing, and not that grooveip is shutting down, which is how I've usually seen people recommend doing VoIP on Android.

Niyqor posted:

Not sure if this is an option for you but I'd recommend just using your computer to make this call. I'm at a computer all day and end up needing to call into a conference call every morning and then smaller calls throughout the day. Started using Google Hangouts on the computer with this headset and it is great.

Another benefit is that everyone agrees I'm easier to understand when calling through my computer.

Dunno why I didn't think of this. Thanks!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="422569672"]
If you're going to ask a question that implies there is only one option for voip on Android phones, then don't be surprised at the responses.

Why don't you tell me what they are then?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Geoj posted:

Just got my friends GS4 that I'm going to activate as a BYOD on T-Mobile prepaid. They left the SIM card in the phone so I took it to a tmobile retail store to see if they could activate it tonight (I haven't received my starter kit in the mail yet and don't have the activation code to do it online.)

I explained to the guy at the store what I wanted to do, and he said the 100 minutes/unlimited texting/5 GB plan for $30/month is only available on phones purchased from Walmart. Has anyone else run into this or did I just get someone who wanted to sell me a post-paid plan (which is what he suggested)?

You have to buy the time cards at Wal-mart. I think you can use any sim card though?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Is it possible to start a T-mobile prepaid account now then port my number over to it in a month or so?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
I tried activating my new T-Mobile Sim last night for the nerd plan. Everything went fine until I got to the "fund your phone" part, when I ran into the calendar bug. Even though i have $30 in my account that came with my activation kit, it won't let me activate. Couldn't pay with a card or e-check, so I bought a T-Mobile card off Walmart.com, but by the time they emailed me the code and i went back to put it in, my session had timed out and I had no way to start a new one. I look forward to hours on the phone with T-Mobile support tonight.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

a retard posted:

I'm planning on getting a 16GB one when my tax refund comes in and my roommates claiming you can't use a Moto G for the dork plan. And looking at the sim card section, I get this:

Does it actually matter if it's on the compatibility list or can I just slap a SIM card on it since it supports T-Mobile's baseband?

It said the same thing about my Moto X, yet here I am posting from it over 4g.

On an unrelated note: is it possible to do tethering on the dork plan? I tried tether it but any page I go to on my phone redirects to TMobile.com and is so slow any attempt to log in times out.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
It also lacks 4G, which a lot of people seem to leave out when recommending it.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Also, if you get the sim kit from Walmart, it comes with a micro sim, but I was able to use the nano sim that came with my moto x with the activation code from the sim kit and it worked fine.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Their FAQ still says they're only available in Tampa, Houston and Orlando, but that doesn't make sense if they're selling online and using a nationwide network (they're AT&T right?). Could I just have a SIM shipped to Illinois?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

ThermoPhysical posted:

US Cellular (are they a prepaid carrier now?)

They have been for a while now.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Just so you guys know, if you're going with Aio, make sure you port your number over. I ordered a sim card and got a new number so I could compare it to T-Mobile. Just got done chatting with tech support, they said they can't port my number over unless I wait for my account to be cancelled and do it then. Seems kind of dumb. Then again, the guy I spoke to on the phone before that told me I could port a number using the Aio app...

On a semi-related note, does anyone know why Google Voice won't port numbers from certain areas?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Carrier unlock (using it on a different provider) is different from jailbreaking (being able to run unsigned code). Make sure it's a former AT&T phone and you should just be able to pop in the new sim and go.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
I'm trying to transfer my number from T-Mobile prepaid to Aio, but I can't find an account number anywhere. Any idea where to look?

Edit: Found it in the support section. :downs:

quote:

Learn how to find your account number on My T-Mobile. If you have a Pay in Advance (Prepaid) account, your mobile number is your account number.

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 11, 2014

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

TLG James posted:

Just port to google voice and never deal with that poo poo again.

I tried, it says my number is in a region that they can't port from (because gently caress flyover country I guess?)

FAUXTON posted:

There's no avoiding the shady bodega thing though. I'm just waiting for the day when they start directing me to "TOBACCO & PHONES 4 LESS" for anything I need to do in-person. There's almost always a cop parked at the one I pass on my way to/from work.

I don't know why everyone thinks this will happen. AT&T now owns both AIO and Cricket, right? Why would they allow the same shady stuff to continue, but now with their name attached? If Cricket weren't CDMA I'd conjecture that AT&T bought them to put a stop to all the stolen phone reactivation poo poo.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
I use basic with my moto x just fine.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
The account number is just your phone number, no 1 in front or anything. The pin is the one you chose when you signed up for T-Mobile; I believe it's unrelated to voicemail.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

TraderStav posted:

I just switched to AIO wireless on my Moto X and got a weird error when my wife sent a group message (video at that). Something along the lines of "Couldn't download MMS. Touch to try again" and all regular messages in that thread repeated it. Weird thing is that I'm able to send and receive pictures over MMS. I opened Textra to see if it was a hangouts problem and it said that I didn't have my phone number set up and to go into settings to do so. Low and behold my number of Unknown in there with no way perceivable way to change it. How do I do this?

Thanks!

You need to update your APN settings. I had the same problem, and following the instructions here fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Sheep-Goats posted:

My parents are switched over to Android phones on Aio now, their first smart phones. It's going way better than I expected, dad especially is comfortable adjusting settings, picking apps from the play store, moving shortcuts around and calling and email.

I ran into a problem the other day however when I was showing him how to text images. We repeatedly got a message along the lines that "MMS could not be sent as your carrier does not allow it" but, of course, I have no problem sending images and I have the same carrier. Did I gently caress something up when I was entering the data settings? Any idea of what I should check before I bother with Aio support?

Definitely check the above APN settings. I couldn't send MMS out of network till I did.

• Locked thread