Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ohno posted:

Here's an OT bard pull screenshot. Lots of mobs, but each pull takes quite a while to kill. Casters Mobs and SOW mobs suck, but bards can eventually dispell.

EQ goes to a whole new level of fun when you toss 2 or 3 good bards together (in an empty zone).

Holy poo poo that brings back memories, and reminds me of this dude too

http://www.notacult.com/fansythefamous.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

SoleilEquil posted:

Are there good reasons to play this even as someone who never played EQ originally?

It would certainly give you an idea of how easy mode the poo poo is nowadays.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Jamuraan posted:

Either 35 or 34 is a hell level. I can't remember. I think it's every level that ends in 5 and 9 if I remember correctly.

I was level 45 for two years. Definitely a hell level.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

xZAOx posted:

Heh, the drama around Amelinda being gone is hilarious.

She has children and is separated, and was dating Tiggles (14 year age gap). Internet dating that is, however that works. They broke up, then she wanted to kill herself, and she's no longer GM.

A lot of the problems on P99 stem from it being the only social interaction for a small group of adults. It's their entire life. It's kinda sad.

Nerds, love & EQ. It really is '99 all over again.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Funkutron5000 posted:

Also, to add a double post, VP is awful. We've only managed a single Drushk kill in that shitshow. I'm not a training class so I don't really get to join in on the "fun". I just sit camped out for god knows how long waiting for the call to come in and engage while the two guilds train the poo poo out of each other. We have come close, getting both Silverwing and PD under 10%, but we don't have enough VP keys yet to truly compete unless every keyed person shows up. As it is, if TMO gets a clean engage, they're usually coming with 40+ people and a lot of wizards in that group to melt any dragon in there. FE will come in with 20-30 members if we're lucky. We had ~25 for our Drushk kill. It really is a war of attrition in there and we just don't have the numbers to win many of those wars.

Ohgod the memories RIP Sullon Zek

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Daaz posted:

Bard is kinda cool

Is aoe kiting a thing on '99?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

oswald ownenstein posted:

Loving this. It's nothing like some low pop emulated server of other games - this game is teeming with people all over the place and is very active.

It's basically like playing a live EQ server around 2000-2001 which was on the lower end of population (but still very populated, just not quite as bloated as say Veeshan)

And frankly I'm amazed at how enjoyable this game is after all these years. I always thought I could never go back after playing WoW, but I'm hooked again.

If only SOE would make a remake of EQ1 keeping the vast majority of mechanics intact so that the game still feels like EQ, with art clearly modeled after EQ1 instead of the plastic crap they have on live/EQ2.

Does it have the original splash screen and midis?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

xZAOx posted:

The road to 60 is a loooooong road (unless you got friends to PL you). Do not pick a wizard because you think you'll be desired at raid time. Pick a class you enjoy. Getting into one of the top 2 or 3 raid guilds is not difficult for anyone.

I was level 45 for two years back in the day :smith: and I played a lot

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Cool Blue Reason posted:

I swear I've been up and down every inch of lfay looking for my corpse for over an hour by myself, and then even longer with another person helping, but I just can't find it. Are there any options other than uninstalling this awful game, pretending it never existed, and finding something to play that doesn't completely suck the joy out of living.

Or I guess I could start a new character on red or something if anyone else is still interested in doing that.

ah the good 'ol days :bang:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Autogranting aa's and the upcoming level 105 killed live for me. I just cant do it anymore. Never tried emu before but I'm pretty pumped to be naked and afraid in Greater Faydark!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I rolled a bluebie bard named Vette. I'll take any hand me downs anyone has this poo poo is harder than I remember- doing my first CR :toot:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

gepgepgep posted:

Welcome to P99! It seemed you logged, was looking to get you setup with a few starter pieces. Will you be back online later today?

A windows update locked me up, gonna let it finish and then make the trek out to EC tunnel, I have a sow so it shouldnt be too bad. I'm gonna bind there anyways.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Heres a simple question that I'm having a hard time finding answers for: if I just started a semi-twinked monk and I have a Trance stick is it better to wield that and plain fists? Or try to find a H2H to dual wield with the Trance stick?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Monk#Hand_to_Hand_Damage.2FDelay

There are no h2h weapons on p99. Your best off either getting 2x trance sticks, or a Quivering Staff / Peacebringer, depending on how much plat you have to twink with.

Thats exactly what I'm looking for thanks.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pilsner posted:

To figure out what is best, here is a spreadsheet that you can use to compare DW vs. 2hb and/or two different weapon setups. It's based on a sheet some other guy on the P99 forums made, and I made it "double up" for comparision purposes. It starts at level 25.

Basically enter the damage/delay (potentially hasted) in the blue and green cells at the top, then view the results in the rows below. The DPS number is just for comparing, you will do more than 2 damage per second in reality of course.

https://docs.google.com/a/almx.dk/spreadsheets/d/1MZKvuv9VcUVJEUtKLPFLl7K7aNtps91e0njO0wM-8MU/edit#gid=0

This is perfect. I'm just gonna mainhand my Trance stick until 20 and then look at getting another weapon to DW or a 2 hander. I had started a druid and played that up until 24 when I realized I spent most of my time melee'ing or meditating so I said gently caress this poo poo and liquidated his gear and rolled a monk. So I was able to afford a Trance stick and some curscale pieces. This drat weight thing is killing me though, I'm sitting at 14 stones right now and am afraid to loot anything :smith:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Does anyone have an 82 Tailor on blue? I had the brilliant idea to make my own cured silk set and spent all day burning up all my spider silk and only made it to 20 Tailoring. I was able to make all the Heady Kiola though and have all the mats and patterns. About to make the long trek to EC from Cab wish me luck.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Some guy at the Cabilis bank wanted to trade his Wu's Quivering Staff for my trance stick so now I'm good for a weapon for a while and got half a cured silk set @L10 :toot:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Monk progress: I am level 17 now and have a cured silk set with Wu's Quivering for a weapon. I made the move to Antonica once I trained FD and got a bind at the gypsy camp in NK because I'm thoroughly sick of FOB and like the old world better. I know how to move past guards using sneak and can rinse my coins at the gypsy vendor using Compasses.

I'm currently saving for a pair of 5/55 rings but that still leaves my ears empty. I'm curious if I should go for +STR on some ears or +AGI? I went all points into stam at creation..

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I am on blue yes. Probably gonna go with Golden Amber Earring which is +3 STRx2 for 80pp since I didnt get any strength at creation.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I'm all set now thanks to Avalok and some primadonna porters I'm fully geared and ready to roll for a long-rear end time.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Monk is level 25 now and making decent cash for the first time by following the Zliz leveling path.

I picked up 2x Lionhide Backpacks and some Azure Sleeves. Currently saving for 2x SoS and then the obligatory FBSS. Ocean of Tears OOC is some of the best entertainment ingame.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 14, 2014

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

hayden. posted:

I really want Velious to come out.

I wonder if Velious will help with the economy on certain items. It seems like the prices never come down on fixed things like haste belts and Fungi etc. almost like theres a price fixing monopoly or collaboration going on.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Karmalaa70 posted:

Giving this my annual spin, decided to roll an Iksar Necro. Never played an iksar before, so at level 6 should I be fighting in the pit? At the ramp straight out from the path from Cabilis, 90% of what I conned was red. Is that pretty much how it goes in the pit, just picking out the even cons among the reds?

Theres also a spiderling cave a little bit northwest of the noob ramp thats good until 7 or 8. You can farm a shitload of silk there if you wanna go ultra classic and tailor your own starter gear.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

MrTheDevious posted:

That's an awesome cave I wish I'd known about! The pit is awful from 4-9 or so solo, but P99 pretty much always has a billion lowbie iksar necros in the area. Just find one who isn't awful and duo with him. I did 4-9 on my necro with another necro duo who wasn't a complete moron and it was faster than 1-4 really. Duo eliminates the pet xp issue and you can wreck because of it. We split snare/fear duty and just pulled whites/yellows nonstop that night and ended up 10.

2 necro duo means summon the highest level pet you can, one person pulls with darkness, the other fears, both pets jump on, throw a dot if you can, otherwise just re-fear as it wears off. It's pretty much nonstop xp and vastly faster than trying to solo through that range in FoB since it's awful solo. We died a few times because of resists, but overall you're just destroying yellows nonstop.

FOB shits out so much silk I was able to skill up tailoring and craft my own cured silk set before I graduated to Kurns. Everything you need is in Cab, even Heady Kiola ingredients.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just discovered the Freeport tunnels and I'll never pay a porter again :vince:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pilsner posted:

Wrist: 1 Iksar Monk Shackle and/or Bracers of Erollisi (150p). The latter can be easily obtained yourself in your high 20's, or kindly ask someone on seafury island to kill Capt Surestout for you

I just sneak pulled him out of his tent without the other 2 adding so this is really easy to get in your 20's.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Bybus Slago posted:

How does sneak pulling work, exactly? I rolled a monk a while ago and I haven't quite gotten the hang of pulling well.

Sneak makes you effectively neutral to an npc or mob as long as you're on side of or behind it. You can use this to vendor at npc's that hate your race or religion and even bank I believe. For pulling, in this instance, there are 2 mobs at a campfire but they're facing away from the mob I wanted so I hit sneak and move near, they ignore me then I aggro the mob I want by moving into his field of vision and run him away and kill.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

SilvergunSuperman posted:

One of my favourite things in this game is that any banker is happy to do business while actively attacking you.

I did HHK guards faction work for a couple days because I really need to be able to bank on Antonica so I dont have to carry arounds hundreds of plat. Got the guards to dubious and no longer kos but the banker still attacks me cuz the merchants are on a different faction. Its easy enough to open them up and flop. On a progress note I am 29 now and have managed to farm up and collect every item upgrade from the pilsner budget list. Looking forward to 30+ and owning hobbit guards.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So I finally got my hands on the sisters camp tonight and all I gotta say is :drat:

220 plat per hour is huge at my level, gonna be able to get 2x sos in a couple days :sun:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pilsner posted:

A fairly comparable camp to the sisters are the two treants in the far northeast corner of South Karana. However, they are Druids and you'll need to be able to handle their nasty spells. Their drops are also a bit more random compared to the guaranteed swords of the sisters. They drop gold, not platinum, so you'll very often need to go to the nearby Centaur merchants and exchange (buy and sell back some item), but they can drop valuable gems and a stave that vendors for 18p.

I may move there in the next couple days. Theres a pair of enchanters that seem to work in 12 hour shifts and keep the sisters sewn up pretty good. I managed to weasel in last night but gently caress competing with these enchanters for a cash camp.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Tried the treants but man them things are annoying. Damage shield hurts too much. I found a great alternative though! Hobbit guards on the wall in misty drop 10p spears eveytime just like the chicks in OOT and are 6 minute spawns so I'm set for a while. Gonna fill up the poopsock on my 5 day christmas vacation.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I stuck my head in Sol A last night to see what its like as everything good in SK seemed to be camped to poo poo. I killed a couple mobs and they went down easy then some level 60 twat brought a train to zone. I didnt die but I didnt want to venture any deeper yet. Was gonna go hit 35 off the dwarves in OOT today and hit the jackpot when I found the sisters open :unsmith: Gonna sit here today and hit 35 and farm up 1600pp for 2x Diamondine ears. (Got my 2x SoS already from halfling guards) feels good man.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 25, 2014

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I could tell Sol A is gonna be the way to go. I gotta go back to Cab one last time and train ripo before I can kiss Kunark goodbye. Whats up with Dalnir? I understand its full of casters and other annoying poo poo but are the Crescent pieces zonewide rares or do you gotta kill nameds for them?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

tyler is a joke posted:

so now that I have some money, I'd like to start getting some real gear. Half of my slots are still Damask or Raw silk. Level 31 enchanter. I have 140 int and 148 cha. Slots that I really need to upgrade are: Head, gloves, shoulders, belt, legs, feet. I don't have a ton of money so I probably have a budget of under 2k. Thoughts?

(Head) Runed Cowl 900p
(Hands) Dusty Bloodstained Gloves 300p
(Shoulders) Mantle of Mirth 100p
(Waist) Lizardscale Belt 100p
(Legs) Drake-hide Leggings 150p
(Feet) Loam Encrusted Lined Shoes 700p or Wolf Fur Slippers 400p

Is all a little over or under 2k depending on the feet. You could also splurge a little and get Impskin Gloves for hands but those are 2k by themselves :p

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Bybus Slago posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but the sisters camp doesn't seem like very good money to me. About 1pp per belt, and I haven't seen anything else. The exp is pretty decent, but man I hate catching the boat to OOT.

Theres 2 sisters in a hut by themselves that are level 25- Larisa Gelrith and Ascania Halvbin that drop a Longsword that vendors for 11pp each. They are both 6 minute spawns so thats 220 plat per hour :sun:

The other sisters named: a Sister of Erollisi drop the 1p belt, they are good for xp around 15 or so.

I think the confusion comes in because its called sister isle, theres "a Sister of Erollisi" low level mobs that roam and people call the two money chicks in the hut together "sisters". Its a great camp for an enchanter or monk because your inventory will fill up fast and you need to be able to vendor on the isle. If you leave the isle to vendor you'll come back to find somone took the camp. Enchanters vendor at the dwarf smith in the back and I, as a monk just vendored right at the Inn down the hill from the camp using sneak.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 27, 2014

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I am not in a guild I was gonna decide if I want to try and raid or not and look at guilds around 55 or 60. I would volunteer to keep the <Unknown Guild> tag alive in case theres a great returning when Velious hits. I dont care about activity since I'm 100% solo player. I will be in EC tonight around 8 EST if someone with invite privileges is around.

Any of you highend guys not logging in anymore on blue lemme use your fungi or FBSS :fap:

Hexel fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 27, 2014

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I have the leader tag for Unknown Guild on an alt, and if anyone wants an officer tag I'm happy to give them out. I can also give out the account info for that character (31 druid, so some ports are available) to one active goon if someone wants to be able to make officers more easily, but every time I give out the leader tag whoever has it goes inactive and I have to petition to get it back.

I'm in EC right now if I could score an invite. I'd rather not have custody of anyone elses account just an invite would be cool :sun:

EDIT: I'm in. Any new dudes reading the thread I can invite you. Avalok and I are super active play everyday. We're both in our 30's but could give starter plat to new dudes. (this is on blue)

Hexel fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 29, 2014

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I got him last night we're all sorted :unsmith:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Level 40 now and just bought an FBSS :unsmith: found a new cash spot as well- Gornit in OOT drops anywhere from 5-26pp and some gold per kill along with toes (sell to mages 10-50p) + fine steel/research words. 6 minute spawn, cons blue to 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

faulteroy posted:

In between spawns, you can clear out the gargoyle island for some extra cash too. They drop 1-3 eyes per kill, which sell for 9pp each to vendors and I believe are used in some cultural tradeskilling.

Yep I know all about the gargs and the sisters. I cant believe I forgot about Gornit though. I used to kill his rear end many years ago with my mage. Potentially camping him is better than the sisters because he drops straight plat (hill giant plat) and you dont have to vendor as much + the toes. I went to EC with toes last night and did one auction- my window filled up with mages wanting to buy them toes for 50p. They are used for the beginner level focus items for mage pets. Ice and fire giant toes I had no problem selling for 50p each.

• Locked thread