Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
As I stupidly didn't send this back when I got it, I'm giving the multiplayer a go.

Anyone in the UK playing this on Xbox? Add desensitised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I'm actually tempted to pick up AVP 1 and 2 for Mac, if I can find a decent copy. Hopefully that'd mean I could join in with Co-Op.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Balls. I've got the original AVP disk somewhere, doubt that's any use to me though. Might just have to reinstall Windows again.

As for Rebellion doing another AVP game - I might have to hit up my Rebellion contact about. I think I posted in one of the Aliens threads on here about the original AVP being a happy accident, which I learned from him in the past.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I'd love to hear more about this. I love AvPClassic, it's still my favorite AvP game.

Way back in the days of 1999, when 56k modems were the best connections most home users could afford, cover-mounted CDs were pretty much the only way to get exposure for an upcoming release. As the CDs were tied to publication dates demos would "go gold", in a similar way to full games, because the publication dates were a non-negotiable immovable deadline. Miss it and you miss featuring on that month's CD, which as they were often tied to exclusive offers, meant the relationship between the developer and the publisher would often be pretty much shafted and it could be difficult to recover from.

Rebellion was founded by two brothers. One, a charismatic and gifted salesman, who could handle the business side of things with ease. The other handled the development side of things and was a little "on the spectrum". Mr Business had landed an exclusive cover-mount release for their first AVP demo, with PC Zone (IIRC - I've probably still got the actual CD in storage somewhere). The deadline for getting a working demo off to Dennis Publishing was swiftly approaching, so Mr Business decided to review what they had.

It wasn't much. Mr Development had fallen into the trap that a lot of developers do - spend most time on the most interesting bits. He loved lighting and water and had devoted the majority of his time on trying out new techniques for his pet engine, with the rest of the dev work spread out across his team. They had a load of assets sorted but nothing more than a tech demo for the engine, instead of a playable demo to draw in punters.

The company went into crunch time. They grabbed one of the test environments, added some location-based monster spawns and churned out as much as they could. A basic goal of "get from your spawn to the Dropship" was given and they had a product they could send out to PC Zone, so people could at least walk around and shoot things.

They could see glaring errors in the demo and were poo poo-scared of the response. Except the response was overwhelmingly positive. Where they saw a mostly empty environment (mostly), punters saw atmosphere. A path-finding bug that meant Aliens had difficulty finding a player and could get stuck in vents overhead? Punters saw that as Aliens hunting the player and coupled with the motion tracker, this added to the atmosphere. A lack of health/ammo/weapons to find and pick up? More atmosphere because you couldn't afford to spray and pray.

So, AVP was a happy accident. They took the feedback and used it to finish off the game with how punters wanted to play it. This is why, outside of one of the coop maps, the game doesn't have that many moments with loads of Aliens attacking and often has long sections where you're not shooting much.

It had some glorious water and lighting effects though.

Note: This was told to me a few years ago by a mate. He was working at 2000AD when they were bought out by Rebellion, so he heard it second-hand, so I can't say all of the above is the absolute truth but it seems to add up and he's not known as a bullshitter.

hexa fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 6, 2013

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hahahah oh gently caress. If that's true, that's hilarious. I remember being blown the gently caress away by the lighting in particular in AvP back when it released. I thought the flare launcher was the single most amazing mix of gameplay and atmosphere I'd yet seen.

The dynamic coloured lighting and water effects were pretty much the best available at the time. I remember starting the Alien demo, where you spawn in a pool of water, and just running back and forth watching the water surface deform with ripples and debris bobbing up and down. The bunker multiplayer level also had some pretty volumetric effects I'd never seen before, although I think they might be scripted instead of generated.

These days I'm the kind of developer who would have just spent 90% of the time working on lighting, water and particles. Shame I'm mostly doing web dev :spergin:

quote:

Also, it's important to keep in mind just how many of the games that we thought had insanely fiendish AIs back in the 90s and early 00s were just clever game designers using things like fog of war and obscured sight lines to cover up some really :pwn: poo poo. Remember all those "diabolical ambushes" from your childhood spent playing XCOM? Watch a video of XCOM with fog of war disabled. Half the enemies are stuck in a bathroom stall at any given time. Lobotomized hamsters probably coordinate better.

Yeah, there are/were a lot of nifty tricks to make games look more intelligent than they really are. Game of Life, Boyds and even sine waves have a lot to answer for.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

This is making me want to dig out my old Aliens/Predator comics and TPBs, thanks guys. Will have to check if I've got Labyrinth, I'm pretty sure I ditched the book of that ages ago.

Although some of them weren't all that bad. Colonial Marines was interesting and I really wish Alchemy would be made into a game/film/something. It'd make for a much more interesting setting for the next one, you could keep the basic mechanics the same.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

MUFFlNS posted:

Could you summarize what happens? I don't think I've heard of that one before and I'm curious since you seem to like it a lot.

Sure thing. I'll give it a re-read tonight, as the synopsis I just Googled is horrible and doesn't really explain why I like it so much.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, that's part of what surprised me, that it was specifically marketed as Colonial Marines.

Incidentally, NECA is doing a Queen figure to scale with their other Aliens/Predators/Marines (which means she's goddamn huge), I think they'll have a prototype on display at SDCC.
They're also doing a to-scale Powerloader, too.

This is the Queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

'The Weyland Yutani Report', basically a spiritual successor to the Colonial Marines Technical Manual from years ago.

Probably the best Aliens news in years. I'm tempted by the comics too.

MonsieurChoc posted:

So it's pretty strange that so few of the Alien derived works have female main characters. Colonial Marines had you playing boring white marine number 43, who was impossible to distinguish from multiple other marines in the game.

I think if you ran the stats, most of the AVP extended universe stuff would end up with female leads. Could be my memory acting up though.

Yodzilla posted:

Alien 3 owns, haters vacate.

This.

• Locked thread