Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

joepinetree posted:

Don't know how many people still read this thread, but Libertadores draw was today:

I have heard of most of those teams but know literally nothing about all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
boca barca and the strongest is pleasing to say aloud

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Yeah it works.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Group F is whatever the opposite of a group of death would be. A group of life?

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I think it's the most competitive group. In many groups you can easily choose wich two teams will end on top.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Yeah, any could pass and that’s fun, but I wouldn’t expect any of them to get past the first knock out round

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

joepinetree posted:

Don't know how many people still read this thread, but Libertadores draw was today:

My favorite teams are:

THE STRONGEST

ALWAYS READY

Barcelona

Defensa y Justicia

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

I have heard of most of those teams but know literally nothing about all of them.

Brazilian teams plus boca and river are the richest teams and are made up of young promises, players never good enough to make it to top european leagues, and older players who aren't good enough for top leagues but are still too good for MLS. The latter you've probably heard about. Tevez is at Boca, Gabigol and Filipe Luis at Flamengo, Hulk at Atletico, etc.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

This is not an error in the lineup, Aguilas Doradas from the Colombian first division are playing with 7 players from the start, no subs, because everyone else has covid. The second goalkeeper is playing as a field player.

The other team are complete. No idea why this was not postponed as it should have.

It's almost halftime and they're still 0-0.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Simone Poodoin posted:

This is not an error in the lineup, Aguilas Doradas from the Colombian first division are playing with 7 players from the start, no subs, because everyone else has covid. The second goalkeeper is playing as a field player.

The other team are complete. No idea why this was not postponed as it should have.

It's almost halftime and they're still 0-0.

Incredible, I’m surprised the league let it happen - I wonder if it was yet another “if you don’t play you forfeit” and they figured why not just go out there and play with 7 men in front of the goal.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I'm watching it and the dudes are giving it their all, successfully so far, but it seems unlikely that they'll hold the whole match.

To add to the drama, the other team are last place in the relegation table and need to win to save themselves.

e: the dream is dead, Boyaca winning 3-0 now

e2: Injury for Aguilas at the 80th minute, match abandoned

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 11, 2021

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

I was curious why they didn’t just nominate players from the youth team and due to COVID, Colombia isn’t operating youth tournaments, and so no team has youth players registered. What a stupid situation

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/DanEdwardsGoal/status/1381727022339272705

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

lmao no way

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That’s sad

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Managed to make it 57 minutes before conceding.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Barca are cowards. Play 7s and make a game of it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I’m glad that both these teams managed to make it at least look competitive. A few years a go a team in Serie C fielded a team of 7 (6 youth players and I think a physio, who obviously couldn’t officially be playing) and they lost 20-0. They were thrown out of the league afterward.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

I’m glad that both these teams managed to make it at least look competitive. A few years a go a team in Serie C fielded a team of 7 (6 youth players and I think a physio, who obviously couldn’t officially be playing) and they lost 20-0. They were thrown out of the league afterward.

God drat that’s brutal

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Atletico America de Cali was interrupted several times because of tear gas coming onto the field, and while players were begging for the match to be called CONMEBOL insisted it continue...

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/Libertadores/status/1399866256405172230

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Highlights from Atletico x Boca

https://twitter.com/TheCampeao/status/1417677738161418244

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Since it's been a while and there hasn't been too much activity here, figured I'd update the Cruzeiro death watch news.

Today the second fifa transfer ban for Cruzeiro was announced. They are restricted on signing players until the two specific debts are paid. They are going to eventually pay it off through the sale of their administrative center building. The building has been emptied, and the club is now being run out of offices rented from one of those co-working spaces. After the sale of the administrative center, the club will only own the two training centers as their assets. Both currently have spotty electricity as it keeps getting cut off for lack of payment

The team currently sits in 19th out of 20 in 2nd division, and lost or tied their last 8 games.

For those who haven't read my posts on this, this is the team that won the league in 13 and 14, and the cup in 17 and 18.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 28, 2021

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Big mess going on right now in the Brazil x Argentina game.

Brazil has a quarantine requirement for people coming from England. Because of that Brazil didn't call up people playing in the Premier league. Argentina did call up players from the premier league, but they just lied about coming from England.
As a result, Brazilian health officials have just entered the pitch to detain the Argentinean players, and the game is stopped. Argentinean players have been in Brazil for 3 days, for the record.

https://twitter.com/FOXSoccer/status/1434601533799161857

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™

joepinetree posted:

Big mess going on right now in the Brazil x Argentina game.

Brazil has a quarantine requirement for people coming from England. Because of that Brazil didn't call up people playing in the Premier league. Argentina did call up players from the premier league, but they just lied about coming from England.
As a result, Brazilian health officials have just entered the pitch to detain the Argentinean players, and the game is stopped. Argentinean players have been in Brazil for 3 days, for the record.

https://twitter.com/FOXSoccer/status/1434601533799161857

Its a beautiful shitshow

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can you really blame Argentina for thinking no one in Brazil watches PL

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's great because it's one of those "everyone is an idiot" situations. Argentina could have requested an exemption to the quarantine that had already been offered to them. Brazil could have done something at any point in the past 3 days, since it was well known enough that it was being reported on for a while. Instead, they chose to do something after the game had already started.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
They purposely wanted to make a spectacle of it. Brazilian government gonna Brazil.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

joepinetree posted:

It's great because it's one of those "everyone is an idiot" situations. Argentina could have requested an exemption to the quarantine that had already been offered to them. Brazil could have done something at any point in the past 3 days, since it was well known enough that it was being reported on for a while. Instead, they chose to do something after the game had already started.

According to AFA , they filled immigration papers stating the players came from England and they say even with that they are excempt because every confederation agreed to keep sanitary bubbles to minimize risks. Even if it wasn't the case, the sanitary authorities could denied entry to Brazil to those 4 players or made them leave the country in any of the 3 days since or when the team entered the stadium. For me it looks like the sanitary agency wanted to make a show out of this.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Massive points deductions for both teams imho

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

hello i am phone posted:

According to AFA , they filled immigration papers stating the players came from England and they say even with that they are excempt because every confederation agreed to keep sanitary bubbles to minimize risks. Even if it wasn't the case, the sanitary authorities could denied entry to Brazil to those 4 players or made them leave the country in any of the 3 days since or when the team entered the stadium. For me it looks like the sanitary agency wanted to make a show out of this.

I mean, what the confederations agreed to is irrelevant since ANVISA is a federal government agency. ANVISA has been claiming that the Argentinean players lied on the form about having been in England in the last 14 days since at least yesterday. There are no good guys in this story.

If I were a gambling person, my bet is that what happened is this:

AFA didn't want to deal with quarantine, some CBF and CONMEBOL dipshits told them "just put whatever, no one is going to check, and if they do it will be after the game." But someone did check, and so Argentina went "well, stop me" and Bolsonaro saw this as a way to stick one to Globo (who owns the broadcasting rights and is in a feud with Bolsonaro) so they decided to only detain the players last minute to gently caress with Globo programing.

Redczar posted:

Massive points deductions for both teams imho

World cup ban, imo.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Ever since they had moved to the single game final, CONMEBOL had been lucky that they had mostly had marquee big teams from Brazil and Argentina involved.
Today's was Sudamericana's final, with two medium teams from Brazil playing. Here's the crowd:

Keep in mind that it's that empty not because of covid precautions. In fact, they moved people to that side of the stadium so it would look not so empty on TV.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Today I learned that Red Bull has a team in Brazil.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Parabéns joepinetree

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
What a loving game. Time to get wasted.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

joepinetree posted:

What a loving game. Time to get wasted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru5y2IafOrM

If you're going to clinch a championship, then this seems like the way to do it. Congratulations, man. :)

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Maxi retired while still banging in goals at 40 😭
https://twitter.com/felipecar/status/1468071443720253442?s=21
https://twitter.com/samstreetwrites/status/1464536017923293187?s=21

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So on Cruzeiro deathwatch news, here's the latest.

Recently, Brazil passed a law that allowed clubs to be publicly traded. For most of Brazilian history, Brazilian teams were literal clubs, non-profit organizations where people could become members, vote for the president, etc. So with this new law, a club can convert into a publicly traded company that has owners rather than members, and instead of one member one vote, it's by stock shares and all that stuff.

So Cruzeiro has become the first club to apply for that. Cruzeiro Esporte Clube is now Cruzeiro Esporte Clube Sociedade Anonima do Futebol. Essentially a for profit corporation that can be sold for an owner.

Now, they don't have any buyers lined up. They are still deeply in debt. And they have just finished their second straight year in the second division in 14th, meaning they will be playing for a third year there. In fact, in the 2 years they played the second division, they did not get to the top 4 even temporarily. It's been 2 years where relegation to the 3rd division was a bigger risk than promotion to the 1st.

So what is their hope here?
Well, so far they are the only team in Brazil to have gotten this new status. Meaning that they are the only Brazilian team for sale right now. So the hope is that this will make some Middle Eastern sheik dying to get into Brazilian football overlook at the messy financial stuff and just got for it. Risky, but at this point they don't have much to lose. They still have a transfer ban, so right now they can't even sign people for next season, they are in the process of selling their headquarters, and the club leadership is working out of one of those shared workspaces that you rent, like wework or one of those things.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Was that law passed specifically to offer Cruzeiro an out?

The version in Chile at least was passed less than coincidentally after the biggest team went into bankruptcy, and football here has been the worse for it ever since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
No. Theoretically, as least, Cruzeiro can't get rid of its debt by this conversion.
I don't have much of any insight on the backroom dealing that went into this. But I think it is probably the result of the same processes that are happening everywhere, of billionaires making teams their pet projects, except in Brazil they couldn't just buy the team, and are still at the mercy of internal politics. Most of the competitive teams in Brazil for the past decade (including my own favorite Atletico Mineiro) have essentially relied on massive cash infusions from billionaires. Which is also why Brazilian teams have taken off and will probably dominate south america for a long time. More billionaires in Brazil.