Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Table of Contents:

Introduction
Update 1: A Place Called Vertigo
Bonus Update 1.5: Vertigo
Update 2: Out of Their Mines
Bonus Update 2.5: The Red Dwarf Range
Update 3: The Ghoul of His Dreams
Update 4: Toil and Trouble
Bonus Update 4.5: Witch Tower Area
Update 5: Six! Six Heroes!
Bonus Update 5.5: Nightshadow
Update 6: Like a Bos
Bonus Update 6.5: Temple of Yak
Update 7: Trouble in Rivercity
Bonus Update 7.5: Rivercity
Update 8: Fubar in the Sky with Diamonds
Update 9: Why Nobody Trusts Adventurers
Bonus Update 9.5: Castle Burlock, Witch Clouds
Update 10: A Fairy Special Episode
Update 11: Renovator's Nightmare
Bonus Update 11.5: Rivercity Area
Update 12: Branching Out
Bonus Update 12.5: Winterkill Area, Warzone
Update 13: Don't Ask About the Other 973
Bonus Update 13.5: Tomb of a Thousand Terrors
Update 14: Conssstruction
Bonus Update 14.5: Asp
Update 15: A Girl's Worst Enemy
Bonus Update 15.5: Golem Dungeon
Update 16: Only Fools and Horses
Bonus Update 16.5: Winterkill
Update 17: Marco Plato
Bonus Update 17.5: Cave of Illusion
Update 18: Because I Got High
Bonus Update 18.5: Tower of High Magic
Update 19: The Seasons Must Flow
Bonus Update 19.5: Desert of the Sphinx
Update 20: All Bite and No Bark
Bonus Update 20.5: Castle Basenji
Update 21: Can't Hide Your Lion Eyes
Bonus Update 21.5: The Northern Sphinx
Update 22: A Tuff Area
Bonus Update 22.5: Lava Fields
Update 23: Magma Cum Laude
Bonus Update 23.5: Volcano Cave, Shangri-La
Update 24: A Taxing Journey
Bonus Update 24.5: Dragon Cave
Update 25: Attack of the Clones
Bonus Update 25.5: Darzog's Tower, Newcastle
Update 26: The Chief of Staff
Bonus Update 26.5: Clouds of Xeen
Update 27: See You On The Flip Side
Bonus Update 27.5: Castleview
Update 28: Down and Dirty
Bonus Update 28.5: Castleview Sewers
Update 29: Discworld
Bonus Update 29.5: Ellinger's Tower
Update 30: Taking the High Road
Update 31: Barbarian Rhapsody
Bonus Update 31.5: Gemstone Mines
Update 32: The Long Hard Moonwalk to Victory
Bonus Update 32.5: Great Western Tower
Update 33: Won't Lovers Revolt Now?
Update 34: Trish Gets Trolled
Bonus Update 34.5: Basically the Entire Southern Half of Darkside
Update 35: It's Time For War, It's Time For Blood, It's Time For Tea
Bonus Update 35.5: Temple of Bark
Update 36: Crime Doesn't Pay
Bonus Update 36.5: Great Southern Tower
Update 37: Live and Let Dry
Bonus Update 37.5: Sandcaster, Books of Bark
Update 38: The Old and the Toothless
Bonus Update 38.5: Great Eastern Tower
Update 39: Just Deserts
Update 40: Lockups and Liches
Update 41: A Lot of Bull
Bonus Update 41.5: Castle Kalindra, Dungeon of Lost Souls
Update 42: The Drinking Fountain at the End of the Universe
Bonus Update 42.5: Northeastern Darkside
Update 43: My Cp Rnnth Vr
Bonus Update 43.5: Great Northern Tower, Equipment Rundown
Update 44: Witches Get Stitches
Bonus Update 44.5: Lakeside
Update 45: Death at a Fumarole
Bonus Update 45.5: Necropolis
Update 46: The Terrible Secret of Space
Bonus Update 46.5: Skyroads, Forbidden Zone
Update 47: The Final Countdown
Bonus Update 47.5: Castle Blackfang
Update 48: Where One Dragon Has Gone Before
Bonus Update 48.5: The Great Pyramid
Update 49: You Gotta Have Soul
Bonus Update 49.5: Olympus, Spacecraft
Update 50: An Ancient Grudge
Bonus Update 50.5: Castle Alamar
Update 51: The Moment You've All Been Waiting For
Bonus Update 51.5: Elemental Planes
Update 52: Draconian Punishment
Update 53: Quantity Over Quality
Bonus Update 53.5: Dragon Tower
Update 54: The Gong Show
Bonus Update 54.5: Darkstone Tower
Update 55: The Final Frontier
Update 55.5: Southern Sphinx
Update 56: The Undiscovered Country
Bonus Update 56.5: Dungeon of Death
Update 57: All Good Things...

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Introduction

Might and Magic: World of Xeen is actually two RPGs rolled into one -- or one game that was originally sold as two, depending on how you see it.

Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen was released by New World Computing in 1992, while its sequel Might and Magic V: Darkside of Xeen was released in 1993. The two games are set on opposite sides of a single world, and players who owned both games could travel freely back and forth between both sides, using the same characters to complete both games. The plot of the fifth game concludes the story arc begun in the first three games in the series -- more detail on that as it becomes relevant.

Clouds and Darkside were designed from the start to work as a unified whole: finishing certain late-game quests and achieving the true ending requires visiting locations on both sides of the world. As such, I'll be treating them both as a single game and playing through them both in this thread. However, I'll be fully completing the main quest of Clouds before even touching Darkside, because Darkside is balanced for much higher-level characters than Clouds: completing all the quests in Darkside's first town alone will give the party enough experience and treasure to trivialise about the first half of Clouds.

I'm going to be playing the Macintosh CD release of World of Xeen, which includes both Clouds and Darkside bundled together on a single disc. If you're interested in playing World of Xeen for yourself, the easiest way is to get the Might and Magic Limited Edition Pack for $10 off Good Old Games, which includes all of the first 6 M&M games. Compared to the Mac version, the GOG edition has slightly less pretty graphics and doesn't include full voice acting for all dialogue, but it's still very playable.

Anyway, let's get to the basics of the game itself.

The very first decision we're given when we try to start a new game is whether to play in Adventurer or Warrior mode. The documentation isn't very clear about the exact effects of this, but it's essentially a combat difficulty setting: on Adventurer, your party's physical attacks have a bonus to hit and do 3 times normal damage, making the game dramatically easier. I'll be playing on Warrior, to try and maintain some semblance of challenge. This game really isn't all that difficult either way.

We start out in the town of Vertigo, just outside the tavern. The game seems intent on hurling us right into the action: there's an enemy just a couple of steps in front of us.

We're given a pregenerated party to use if we want. They're a reasonably balanced team with very solid starting stats, but playing with pregen characters is boring. Instead, we'll be stripping them of their starting equipment and replacing them with an all-star team of characters submitted by forum posters from my previous LP thread.

So we'll ignore the monster in front of us, turn right around, head through the door to the tavern and walk up to the bar.

There are a number of important or interesting things we can do in taverns, but right now we want the Sign In option. In addition to automatically saving our game, this allows us to create new characters and adjust our party composition.

Characters are defined by their class, race and seven vital statistics. Statistics are generated randomly at character creation and can initially range from 3 to 21. Might affects damage output with melee and missile weapons; Intellect and Personality affect Sorcerer and Cleric spell point totals respectively; Endurance affects hit points; Speed affects both turn order and armour class; Accuracy is self-explanatory; Luck probably helps with picking locks and disarming traps, improves the character's chance to resist harmful effects and may provide other nebulous benefits. Class determines a character's weapon and armour options, combat ability and magical prowess, so selecting a class is the most important decision we'll make for every character. Race has a relatively minor effect on hit points, spell points and resistances, and a character's sex is purely cosmetic.

Each class has minimum statistic requirements in one or more stats: greyed-out classes are ones this character doesn't qualify for. Luckily, not only can we reroll a new set of stats as many times as we like, but we can swap pairs of stats around to get exactly the configuration we want. As a rule of thumb, at least one 19 and two 15s is a pretty good set of starting scores to shoot for when making most characters. But don't sweat it too much: there'll be opportunities to increase our stats later on.

Characters can also begin with up to two special skills with various beneficial effects, depending on class and race. We'll go into the details of those later. For now, it's time to meet our party and begin the adventure!

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 4, 2012

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Update 1: A Place Called Vertigo

"So this dream you all had -- can you tell me more about it?"
"Let me think. It went something like this..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrffz-tU_as

"You talk about dream with tower and wizard? Fubar have same dream! But wizard voice strange. Like... like from long way away."
"Not just far away. Flench think it like he talking to someone else."
"Yes! That's exactly what it was like. And no matter what I did, the dreams just wouldn't stop. Two or three times a week for two months, starting about eight months ago. And the morning after the last dream... well, you know what happened to Newcastle, don't you?"
"Nobody knows what happens to Newcastle. Six months ago, she is hit by the huge bolt from the sky, and the whole place goes upwards in smoke. No survivors."
"That's my point. It can't be a coincidence, can it?"
"Ah. So you're saying this wizard's message was meant for someone at Newcastle? To warn them of this Lord Xeen?"
"Could be. But it's not like anyone from Newcastle can do anything about it now. So that leaves us to work out what's going on and stop it."
"Wait. Wait wait wait. Some kind of horrible skeleton king is apparently trying to take over the world, he may well have destroyed a castle in one blow, and you want us to get involved?"
"You'd rather wait for the horrible skeleton king to succeed at taking over the world, then?"
"Plus, we help real king save kingdom from dead king, real king thank us. Maybe throw big party with food! And money! And food!"
"Well, when you put it that way... what are we waiting for?"

"We not wait for anything! Fubar got axe, Fubar got armour, Fubar ready to rumble!"

Fubar is a Half-Orc Barbarian, so his main assets (and, indeed, only assets to speak of) are his top-notch hit points and melee combat skills. Fortunately, those are good enough that he'll be a valuable party member through the whole game. Half-Orcs get penalties to spell points and thief skills (neither of which matters to Fubar) and a bonus to HP and elemental resistances (which do matter). He can use most weapons, but his choice of armour is pretty limited. Barbarians don't really need much beyond Might, Endurance and maybe some Speed and Accuracy, so Fubar is sitting pretty with regard to stats right now.

The character screen also shows a bunch of other information besides basic stats, but I'll explain the rest as it comes up.

"Such enthusiasm! I do believe I'm going to enjoy travelling with you people."

Ms Swallow is a Human Paladin, with pretty impressive starting stats. Humans have average HP, SP and resistances, so they're good for hybrid classes. She's a bit worse in melee than Fubar, but will be able to use all weapons and armour, and cast Clerical spells (mostly healing and buffs) with half the SP pool of an actual Cleric. That high Speed means she'll act earlier in combat and get a bonus to armour class: this makes her great at staying alive, while her magic means she can keep the rest of the party on their feet too. As a human, she starts with the Swimmer skill, which allows the party to cross shallow water, but only if everyone in the party has learned the skill. As a Paladin, she also starts with the Crusader skill, which is required for certain events.

"Flench not see what to be enthusiastic about. We go on dangerous quest. Time to celebrate after victory, not before."
"Fubar say Flench need to stop being sadsack and get pumped!"
"Flench not sad. Flench pragmatic."

Flench is an Archer, and the party's second Half-Orc. Despite the class's name, Archers in this game don't get any particular bonus with bows, although they can certainly use them. Archers have so-so HP and armour choices, are about as good in melee as Paladins, can use most weapons and can cast Sorcerer spells (mostly attack magic with some utility spells), although they only get half the spell points of a Sorcerer. Between that and the SP penalty for being a Half-Orc, he'll have limited spell points early on despite his high Intellect -- still, for as long as his reserves last, he's as good a caster as anyone, and his race will make up for Archers' lowish base HP. Flench has good overall stats that will make him competent in both physical and magical combat in the long run. I've also equipped him with a Swift Ring from the pregen party's inventory, bumping his starting Speed of 14 up to 17.

"Guuuuys! I'm ready to goooo! What are we waiting for?"

Trish is a Gnome Robber. Robbers are respectable in physical combat (about as good as Paladins or Archers), can use most weapons and have pretty good HP and armour. They're also one of two classes with access to the Thievery skill, allowing them to pick locks and avoid traps. Gnomes have a little less HP than humans, but have the best thief skills of any race plus good innate poison resistance (in M&M3, Gnomes had magic resistance and Dwarves had poison resistance; in Xeen, this is reversed, which may be a bug). Gnomes also make good spellcasters, but Robbers can't use any magic. Finally, Gnomes start with the Danger Sense skill, warning the player when monsters are nearby. I put Trish's highest stats in Endurance and Luck, so she's good at surviving damage (say, from traps) and avoiding status ailments, and her other combat stats are still decent.

"Would you be quiet? You can't rush these things. I'll be ready when I'm ready."
"What's the hold-up -- wait, are you still doing your makeup? Seriously?"
"What? If I'm going to become famous for saving the world, I can't have all the bards memorialising my open pores, now can I?"
"OK, I'm done waiting. Out you go!"
"What are you-- hey! Stop that! Unhand me!"

Anleisa is a Human Cleric, and a pretty good one at that: she has the highest possible starting Personality, and her Endurance and Speed are decent too. Clerics aren't very good in melee (and Anleisa's poor Might and Accuracy won't help), can use only blunt weapons and have low HP, but they do have good armour options, cast Clerical spells and have twice the SP of Paladins. She'll be the party's main healer, with Ms Swallow serving as backup for emergencies.

"Did I hear a struggle? Is there to be a fight of cats?"
"Ahem. No. Everything is fine. Shall we be going, then?"

Vandesloof is an Elven Sorcerer, with stats in just the right places to be good at it. Elves have the lowest HP of any race and pretty poor resistances, but make up for it (arguably) with a significant SP bonus for Sorcerers and Archers. Sorcerers have the worst melee skills, weapon and armour choices and HP of any class -- as you may notice, Vandesloof has miserable starting HP despite his very respectable starting Endurance. On the bright side, they do cast Sorcerer spells with twice the SP pool of Archers. Finally, they start with Cartography, an essential skill that enables the game's automap function. Vandesloof will be a powerful spellcaster both in and out of combat, as long as we can keep him alive.

There are some classes and races that aren't included in the party; I'll cover those in more detail in a bonus update.

"This town really has gone downhill lately. What is that horrible thing up ahead?"
"Oh, that's the blacksmith's shop. It's always been like that."
"Not that, you halfwit! The green thing that just jumped onto my leg and started enveloping -- uh-oh."

"That can't be good. Quick, cut her out of it!"
"For what do you look at me? You are the one with the sword!"

The Slime isn't a particularly dangerous opponent, and will most likely die to a single attack. But it is fast, so if you let it close to melee range it'll get in a couple of hits for minor poison damage before anyone can act, and can potentially knock out a weaker character. Having been reduced to 0 HP or less by the Slime's attack, Anleisa is unconscious and can't take any actions. If she were reduced to a negative HP total equal to her maximum HP, she'd be dead, which would be more difficult to treat.

Also note that the gem underneath Anleisa's portrait has turned blue: this is a measure of her state of health. A green gem means a character is at full HP, a yellow gem means they're injured, a red gem means they're close to 0, and a silver gem means their HP is boosted above its normal maximum. A character with a blue gem is unconscious and a character with a black gem is dead.

"Anleisa not look so good. Possibly suffering harmful aftereffects of partial digestion."
"Not a problem! I simply have to use my divine powers to heal her, and she'll be good as new!"

"... um. My divine powers appear to be a little rusty. Perhaps she can sleep it off instead?"

The party can rest whenever they have adequate food and aren't in immediate danger (not within sight of a monster, in a lava pit, etc). Resting restores the party to full HP and SP and cures some negative conditions, although others can get worse. It also causes all temporary magical blessings and boosts on the party to expire.

"For a team of would-be heroes, you sure do suck at protecting people..."
"Let's just go see the mayor already."
"Mayor live in tent? Wow. Town really is dump."

"Please help clean up our beautiful town."
"Woohoo! Party find first quest!"
"Pest extermination? Well, I suppose we must all start somewhere."

"Flench say we go tavern first. When people drink, talk easy. Learn lots if listen in. Also, drink help build courage for fight."

By going around the tables and interacting with them, we can have conversations with the tavern's patrons.

"This place is deserted. You should go to Rivercity -- now there's a town full of action!"

"Some fool said that money's now growing on trees. Ha!"

"That Gunther, what a dunce! He paid that con man Joe a fortune to clean up this town."

"Get lost! Can't you see I'm drinking?"

Well, we can have conversations with the ones who are willing to talk to us, anyway.

"It seems the townspeople are none too happy with how the extermination is going. Rather a good thing we came along, isn't it?"

"Say what? Who's breeding what in the where-house? Hey, are you even listening to me?"
"In talking to her there is no use. She could not contain her drink, and has passed outwards."
"I guess we're on our own, then. Too bad. Whatever she was saying sounded important."
"She set good example. Fubar say less talk, more drink!"

Gameplay-wise, the most important function of taverns is to sell food. Food is only consumed when resting, and one day's supply of food is good for three rests. Since we've only rested once, there's not much point buying food right now.

"Got enough food! Give Fubar most strong drink in house!"

By buying a drink for one gold coin and then tipping the bartender another coin, you can receive useful information and gameplay advice. Each town has its own set of hints available, and the game will cycle through them as you buy more drinks. You can also listen for rumours, which are free, but there's only one rumour available per day of the week, per town.

"Thanks! Hot lady got other tips for Fubar if Fubar buy more drinks?"

"The Witches of Toad Meadow have been snatching children and turning them into goblins. An old woman in Toad Meadow holds the key to the Witches' Tower."

"More! More tips! Drink and listen to hot lady forever!"
"Okay, big guy, you've had enough. You don't have to go home, but... well, you've heard this enough times that you know the rest by now."
:(

Each drink has a small chance to make the drinker drunk, in which case that character can't buy any more drinks until they've sobered up.

Drunkenness raises a couple of stats and lowers the others, and wears off with time or rest, although it has a chance to leave behind an equally temporary Weak condition (lowers all stats).

"We should check out our room before we, well, check out. People leave stuff behind in inns all the time, you know. That's how I made my first thousand gold, and how I lost it!"

It's worth remembering to search beds, cabinets, junk piles and the like in this game, because some of them contain items or other treasure. The exact content of treasure is usually randomized: for this playthrough I won't be saving and reloading just to get better loot, so I'll have to live with whatever the game gives me. A sling is the weakest missile weapon, but it'll have to do.

"A sling I can understand, but a suit of armour? Not that I'm complaining... it even looks like it's in my size."

Not every character can use every weapon or every kind of armour. Splint mail can only be worn by Knights, Paladins, Clerics and Rangers, so let's go ahead and give this to Anleisa. It'll raise her armour class by 3 compared to the scale armour she's currently wearing, making her harder to hit with physical attacks.

"Fur-hat man in booze house say money grow on tree! We find out if true!"
"I don't believe that was exactly what he said..."

"... but apparently some old sayings have a grain of truth in them after all."

Most trees in towns throughout the game can be searched for small random amounts of gold. It's not much, but it adds up.

"More slimes where first one came from. Flench say we use money to buy weapons, help not get eaten."

"Why throw our money away, when we are eligible for a discount of five fingers?"
"Whoa, easy there. What are you going to do, smash the case and take it?"

"Think before you act! What would happen if someone saw you?"

Trying to steal from a display case with anyone other than a Robber or Ninja advances the game's clock by a year -- and of course, you don't get to keep what you stole. Characters do eventually start losing stats from aging if enough time passes, so you don't want to just waste a year for no reason.

"Here's how you do it. Watch and learn. Actually, don't. Go keep the blacksmith busy instead."

As long as you have a competent thief, stealing from the display cases nets you free items with no consequences. In the grand tradition of old RPGs that aren't named Ultima IV, Xeen can be pretty resolutely amoral at times.

From the cases in the blacksmith's shop, we lifted various bits of equipment and some items that cast low-level spells when used; the number on the right is how many times they can be used before running out of juice. They might come in handy, if I remember to use them.

"If you're entirely done robbing the townspeople we're trying to save, shall we at least buy something from the poor man?"

Now it's time to explain another World of Xeen game mechanic: materials. Equipment can be made of various materials and have other special properties to improve its effectiveness. Crystal is one of the lower-level materials, and crystal weapons have a small bonus to accuracy and damage compared to normal weapons. Of course, they're also significantly more expensive.

We can also sell equipment for a quarter of the purchase price. All of these accessories we got from the pregen characters are useless except to sell: unlike in Might & Magic III, items with a zero base AC bonus in Xeen will never get an extra AC bonus from their material, although other bonuses like stat boosts and resistances will still take effect.

Blacksmiths offer two more services: repair and identification. A blacksmith will tell you the exact properties of any item for a small fraction of its cost, including what classes can use it, how much damage it does and any other abilities it possesses. As for repair, I'll show that off as soon as we have something in need of fixing.

"Ooh, I've heard about these mirrors! They say there's one in each of the five great cities. Tell it your destination and step through, and it'll take you right where you want to go!"
"But we not have anywhere we need to go. We still fixing pest problem in town."
"Can't argue with that point. Let's go check out that tent opposite it, then."

"A guild of mages! This is an opportunity which we must not pass upwards! Think of the knowledge! The power! The chance to meet beautiful young sorceresses! Maybe she will be practicing the forbidden magic, and with gentle seduction I will lead her away from the temptation of evil and to walk the path of right by my side! Or maybe it will be a tragic and doomed affair of the heart, as she is torn between love and ambition, seeing no escape but to take her own life! Ah, the terrible mystery of love!"
"How about we just pay the drat guild fee and see what they have to offer those of us back here in reality?"

"Gilbert? What kind of name is Gilbert? Wizard should have scary name full of weird letters, like Xyrax the Destructor! Fancy name help make people forget how weak and squishy he is!"

"I suppose either Gilbert is a surname or the manager isn't the proprietor."
"Or else they specialise in a very different kind of magic from anything we'll have a use for."
"You'd think with all that magic she could do something about whatever is going on with her face there."

"Ooh, neat. I was really talking more about the forehead, though."

To buy spells at a guild, a character must have a guild membership and be a member of a spellcasting class. Paladins, Archers and Rangers pay twice as much gold for all spells compared to Clerics, Sorcerers and Druids. Unlike previous games, there no longer seems to be a level requirement on learning spells: access to them is controlled by what town guilds you have access to and what you can afford to pay.

I'll go over the exact details of the spells in a bonus update. We're not exactly swimming in gold at the start of the game, so I don't buy anything just yet.

"Fubar thirsty! Good place to take break!"

"Ughhh! Instead of water, well full of slime! Very mean trick to play on visitors! Bad for tourist industry!"
"Flench think not trick. Flench suspect connection to pest problem in town. If fix problem, maybe fix well too?"

"If we're going to do something about the pest problem, the town exterminator seems a reasonable person to ask."
"Careful, everyone. I hear something behind the door."

Notice how the gargoyle at the top of the screen has its mouth open? That's Trish's Danger Sense skill at work. If a character has the skill, the head will animate when monsters are nearby.

"Eww. Joe is really not doing the best job with this whole extermination thing. You'd think he could at least keep his own office bug-free."

Doom Bugs hit quite a bit harder than Slimes, and have more health as well. They're still not extremely dangerous, but they should probably be a higher-priority target than the Slimes if you're fighting both.

"Sure, and I'm King Burlock. Something tells me he's not gonna be much help to us. Let's just move on."

"We go in and look at maps! Maybe show way to houses of famous people! Maybe Fubar build up autograph collection!"
"You have an autograph collection?"
"Fubar try make one once. Last time Fubar try, people all run away when Fubar run up to them. But this time Fubar with friends, so maybe less scary! Or if still scary, friends can help block escape routes."

"I am already a grapher of carts, and so we have no need of your teachings. But I will wish you all of the best as a fellow lover of the creative arts!"
"Um, Sloof, if you think mapmaking is a 'creative art', that might mean you're doing it wrong..."
"Philistine! I will not be giving dignity to your womanly chatterings by making a response."

"I wonder, how can a slime have a temple when it doesn't even have a head? Oh well. Let's see what's inside, shall we?"

"A bit plain, isn't it? Maybe there'd be more worshippers if they'd spruce up the place a bit."

"The plague is upon us. The end is near."

"OK, these guys are a little too intense for me."
"They don't appear to be evil, merely... somewhat pessimistic. Given the state of their town, it's hard to blame them."

"At least the priests seem welcoming enough. Anleisa, you could learn a thing or two about manners from them."
"And you could learn a thing or two about minding your own business."
"I'm terribly sorry for my companion's rudeness. Please, accept our donation as a show of good faith. Er, so to speak."

Temples can heal characters and cure all negative conditions (for a price that depends on both your character's level and what's wrong with them), and remove curses on equipment. They also accept donations: donate enough times and your party will be granted a range of buffs until either you rest or the time hits 5 AM. Those little icons that just appeared above the character portraits represent the buffs we've received.

"Fubar feel strong as ox! Wait, no. Fubar already strong as ox before! Now Fubar strong as... as ox bodybuilder!"

I'll explain exactly what all those buffs do when we can cast them, but basically right now everyone will do a bunch more damage and take a bunch less.

"Joe's advertising pest control in the park? Who to? This town's already paying for his services, and nobody from out of town ever comes here any more."
"We come here."
"We don't count. We are pest control."

"It appears that the good people of the Slime Temple are spreading their doctrine here as well. As charming as they were, we'd best try to keep their prophesied future from coming to pass."

"Maybe we rent last bench! People want help, we tell them talk to us!"

"So they're just letting people camp out in the town park now?"
"Mayor live in tent. After Flench see that, nothing surprise Flench any more."

Pathfinder skill allows the party to travel through dense forests, as long as there are at least two Pathfinders in the party. It also costs more money than we can afford to throw around right now, but we'll come back for it soon.

"Looks like we'll have to search the quarantined back alleys of Vertigo if we want to root out this pest problem. Good thing you've got me around to get us in, huh?"
"Couldn't we simply ask Mayor Gunther for a key? We do have his blessing to help, after all."
"Bah. Where's your sense of adventure?"

Whenever we come to a locked door or chest, we'll have to pick the lock in order to proceed. Lockpicking is based on a character's Thievery skill, so only a Robber or Ninja has any real chance of success; whether the attempt succeeds or fails, it's also possible for a trap to be set off, inflicting some damage on either the thief or the entire party. Successfully opening a lock is worth a nice little chunk of experience to the character who picks it.

It's also possible to bash down doors if the two lead characters have high enough Might, but this always causes some damage, only works on doors, not treasure chests, and doesn't give any experience.

"Wow, and I thought the situation in the rest of town was bad enough. There's just bugs all over the place back here."

"Ugh. Don't tell me we're going to have to root around in all this garbage for evidence of the source of the pests now."
"If it make you feel any better, pretend you look for treasure."

"Someone say treasure? Fubar find treasure!"

"Treasure help Fubar make lots and lots of friends!"
"You know, Fubar, sharing is an important part of friendship. Perhaps you could find it in your heart to share that brooch with me?"

"Hooray! Fubar share treasure with friends!"

This broach (sic) is an accessory that gives a 3-point bonus to Personality. Because of the way statistics work in this game (as your stats get higher, the amount you have to increase them by to get the same bonus gets larger too), Anleisa won't gain any benefit from it right now, so it goes to Ms Swallow.

"Aha! Perhaps now we can be learning the reason why Joe has been making so little progress with his work!"

"Gaaah! What the hell is that thing?"

The colour of an enemy's name works like the gem under a character portrait: when it's yellow the monster is wounded, and when it's red the monster is nearly dead. The Breeder Slime has much more HP than a regular slime, but it's still not especially dangerous, and two or three good hits can take it down.

"Whew. That not so bad."

"Not so fast! There's a second one!"
"I thought we were going to be fighting regular kinds of evil, like demonic legions, malevolent sorcerer-kings and ancient gods from beyond the stars. I didn't sign up to deal with horrible slime monsters!"

"Well, looks like we finally exterminated all those pests. But what were they doing in Joe's warehouse? Maybe there's a clue in one of these crates."
"No clue here. Just more treasure. But Fubar fine with that too!"

"Fubar not know how use funny sword. So Fubar share with Ms Swallow again. Share treasure, make lots of friends!"

Katanas are the strongest type of one-handed weapon; I guess nerd culture's love affair with Japan was alive and well even back in 1992. Like all the Japanese weapons in this game, only Knights, Paladins and Ninjas can use it. I put it on Ms Swallow right away.

"Some of these crates actually have bugs in them. There's definitely something very suspicious going on here..."

"Hey, speaking of suspicious, I just found something. Look at this!"

"Well, this certainly explains a few things."
"Mated pair? Those things reproduce sexually? Ugh. That's a fact I could happily have gone without ever knowing."
"Even in the most loathsome of creatures, there remains the urge to propagate the species. Is not that too a kind of beauty?"
"I can understand why you'd see things that way."

"Focus, guys. We'd better go expose Joe's little racket before he hires assassins to come after us or something."

"... from the dwarves who reside in the Red Dwarf Range. They have urgently requested help and promise great reward to whoever is brave enough to come. Apparently, their gem mines have been invaded by the Mad Dwarf Clan, preventing them from mining. Help them out and report back."

For their services to Vertigo, the whole party earns 5000 experience points, a good whack of gold and some gems. Gems are important for magic users, as they're consumed when casting certain spells.

"We should make sure to put some of this reward away for a rainy day. It wouldn't do to spend it all at once, now would it?"

The bank is a good place to store valuables that you won't need in the immediate future. Banked gold and gems earn a small amount of interest, and are safe from certain events that may take them away. Of course, the catch is that if you want to have that money available to spend, you have to hoof it back to the bank to withdraw it.

"Not put all in bank. Use money to get strong!"

Levelling up doesn't happen automatically in Might & Magic: after earning a sufficient amount of experience, you have to pay a trainer, and the cost increases quite dramatically with your level.

"Fubar fight monsters, get treasure, make friends, get stronger! That way of hero!"

Fubar's beginning to grow into a formidable melee fighter. As characters level up, their melee attack can hit multiple times per round. Barbarians gain those extra attacks faster than any other class: Fubar's already gained a second attack per round from hitting level 4, effectively doubling his damage output.

"Vertigo's problems are solved, but there are still many others in need of help. We can't let ourselves relax too much... but I suppose even heroes need a little rest sometimes."

Ms Swallow's done quite well out of this first update too: between her high Speed and being the only party member who can equip plate armour, her AC is very high for so early in the game, making her almost untouchable to enemies that use physical attacks.

"Flench never need much sleep. Ready to go whenever you are."

Note that Flench and Ms Swallow are only at level 3, while Fubar is level 4 despite having the same experience total. Some classes level up faster than others. The difference becomes less dramatic at higher levels, but at the start of the game it's significant.

"I thought that went pretty well. Is the rest of Xeen gonna be as easy to save as Vertigo was?"

Trish is higher-level than the rest of the party and will probably remain so throughout the game, thanks to both a high innate levelling rate and the extra experience from picking all the locked gates in town.

"Really, the question you should be asking is: is the rest of Xeen that helpless? It took two years for anyone to come along and point out to Mayor Gunther that his exterminator was robbing him blind. Is the world really just sitting around waiting for us to solve all of its problems?"

Anleisa's toughened up a bit, and I'll pick up some new spells for her at the guild before next update so she can put that solid spell point total to use.

"We have done what is done. Vertigo is the problem of her people now. As for us, we move onwards to the next great adventure!"

Between his slow levelling rate and low base HP, Vandesloof is going to be quite fragile for a while yet. Still, at least he's got a decent spell point total with which to rain death upon our enemies now.

We're not even out of the first town yet and we already have two heroic leads to follow up on! But the party can only be in one place at a time. Should they drive the Mad Dwarf Clan out of the nearby mines, or investigate that rumour they heard in Vertigo's tavern about the Witches of Toad Meadow? It's up to you, so cast your vote!

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 12, 2014

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The character I suggested may not have made the cut, but I'm still psyched to see this LP up and running. :allears:

Let's go pay a visit to the Mad Dwarf Clan.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
DAGNABBIT, I ALREADY HAVE TOO MANY BROWSER TA- Wait, World of Xeen you say? Oh, well, that's perfectly alright then!

I still have this somewhere, but because my first RPGs were the fairly linear Eye of the Beholder series and Moraff's world, I got quite lost in this one. Looking forward to see you handle it, Thuryl!

Also, seconding Mad Dwarf Clan... perhaps we'll see Mad Urist McMad!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Ah, now this is a lovely sight to come home to. I've never played any of the series, but I've enjoyed Thuryl's take on the first three. Looking forward to seeing what kind of strangeness awaits us this time around.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The dwarves may be hoarding treasure for us to loot, but the meadow witches are performing misappropriate cosmetic surgery on the town's youth! Think of the children! The rich, malformed children!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Yes! I was waiting excitedly for this LP! Some of my favourite drat games, and I'm extremely curious to learn new stuff about them, as well as just happy to see them played and enjoyed again.

I say we go punch some witches in Toad Meadow.

And while we're out there, we may as well go take a peek at the edge of the world.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Mad dwarf clan needs to get up to date with being murdered.

PS they are in mines, mines have good stuff right?

This game is still one of my absolute favorites that I play from time to time.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Sloober posted:

This game is still one of my absolute favorites that I play from time to time.

It's not just you. I honestly feel that World of Xeen is one of the most elegantly designed games ever made: there's very little in it that's superfluous, or that gets in the way. The plot and gameplay are both pretty simple, but it's about as good at being what it is as it can possibly be. It is the Tetris of RPGs, and I mean that as high praise. I hope to be able to do it justice with this LP.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 4, 2012

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Thuryl posted:

It's not just you. I honestly feel that World of Xeen is one of the most elegantly designed games ever made: there's very little in it that's superfluous, or that gets in the way. The plot and gameplay are both pretty simple, but it's about as good at being what it is as it can possibly be. It is the Tetris of RPGs, and I mean that as high praise. I hope to be able to do it justice with this LP.

I'd really like your opinion on MM6, seeing how that's the game I pretty much devoted two years of my gaming schedule to. Xeen is a wonderful game, especially if you clear topside first and play as it was intended, but there's just this certain something about the sixth installment that makes it my Might and Magic darling.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
As much as I feel WoX is the best installment in the M&M series, and like the subsequent games feel like they're from an entirely different pedigree... I did kind of like 7 and 8. Something about 6 didn't sit quite as well with me, it just felt remarkably rough around the edges.

Jaltos
Nov 26, 2007

Swaying all the time! :gonk:
Dwarf cancel mad tantrum, interrupted by Adventuring party.

This is the only option!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Thuryl posted:

I am going to seriously have to try not to spoil things for people because this is so fun of a game. Maybe I will just have to play my dos version again instead!

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Sad that you didn't use my character but happy to see this thread up.

By the way, you can go talk to Joe before you discover his scheme.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Dwarves

Its amazing that this gets posted after I just finished reading the M&M3 LP last week. Keep up the great work Thuryl.

MS_Vox
Jul 11, 2009
Adding my vote for Witches of Toad Meadow.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Zaodai posted:

The character I suggested may not have made the cut, but I'm still psyched to see this LP up and running. :allears:

Let's go pay a visit to the Mad Dwarf Clan.

Same, and seconded. "A dwarf is like an angry beer-soaked beard with legs."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I am having a hard time seeing Ms Swallow and Trish and not Jostiband and neongrey. I arbitrarily declare this your fault for doing too good a job on M&M 2, Thuryl.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Finally, the one I've been waiting for! So happy to see this.

Although I have to say, three characters with strange "accents" out of six seems like it might get a bit tiresome after a while, especially when two of them have the same accent and similar portraits.

Also, Dwarves.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Xeen was my favorite M&M game, as well as my first. The rest (that I've tried) are fun, but none of them really hits the sweet spot like Xeen did.

Mad Dwarf Clan of course. Maybe we can figure out what they're so upset about and help them be happy again! :downs:

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
It's been a long time coming. This is going to be great!

Why you heff to be mad dwarf? He's good guy!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Verbose posted:

Sad that you didn't use my character but happy to see this thread up.

By the way, you can go talk to Joe before you discover his scheme.

I did talk to Joe before discovering his scheme. It's right there in the update. I'll show what's happened to him now next update.

Coolguye posted:

I am having a hard time seeing Ms Swallow and Trish and not Jostiband and neongrey. I arbitrarily declare this your fault for doing too good a job on M&M 2, Thuryl.

Yeah, I halfway figured that stealing portraits from later games in the series would come back to bite me a little, but I had to get them from somewhere and it seemed like the logical place. Oh well.

sethsez posted:

Finally, the one I've been waiting for! So happy to see this.

Although I have to say, three characters with strange "accents" out of six seems like it might get a bit tiresome after a while, especially when two of them have the same accent and similar portraits.

I've thought about that too. It's going to be a challenge to keep things fresh over the course of two games regardless, but I think I can do it. I'll see how it goes, and I can tone Flench and Sloof down a bit if it gets to be too much.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Okay, so I'm kind of a baby and never played any M&M games other than this one. I loved the poo poo out of this one though, especially once I found some very big coins in my group's hands.

I never beat it. As an early teen I decided "Warrior sounds cooler" and was not enough of an operator to tackle a certain dungeon in a certain desert. And then I got 5/6 of my group annihilated. And then I gave up.

e: Oh, I forgot to vote. Witches, man, all day.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 5, 2012

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

One of my favorite games of all time. Let's go murder the poo poo out of some witches.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GuavaMoment posted:

It's been a long time coming. This is going to be great!

Why you heff to be mad dwarf? He's good guy!

Why in hell didn't you notify me the instant this thread was started? Guava, you ... I ... we used to be friends :(

anyway seriously Thuryl, as if you weren't aware, kinda looking forward to this.

Go punch a dwarf.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The voice clip that plays when you enter the mad dwarf area has stuck with me for decades. Step right up!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're going to do the mad dwarves, it's worth putting in some prep work. Spoiled for those who don't want to know anything ahead of time:
There a lot of traps in the mines that inflict poison or disease on your characters, and you have to go back to a temple to heal them until you learn the appropriate spells. There are some statues south of Vertigo that will teach those spells to all of your characters who can learn them for free. The only catch is that you have to be able to swim to get to them. If you use the mirror to get to the river town (Riverton?), you can learn swimming in there without needing to fight anything except a few mad beggars.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Thuryl posted:

I did talk to Joe before discovering his scheme. It's right there in the update. I'll show what's happened to him now next update.

Oh I'm sorry, I must have suffered some sort of aneurysm and missed that shot.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
You know, for all the times that I played WoX, I never did figure out what the difference between Adventurer and Warrior were. Back in the day I took a shot in the dark and guessed that it was a priority on quest/monster XP or something and promptly forgot about it five minutes later until a new game was started, but triple melee damage? Can't remember what I used to pick back then, but one of these days I'll have to fire it up and hit Warrior to see if there's any difference.

Might even give Swords of Xeen another shot, never was able to get that to run back then.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Unoriginal One posted:

You know, for all the times that I played WoX, I never did figure out what the difference between Adventurer and Warrior were. Back in the day I took a shot in the dark and guessed that it was a priority on quest/monster XP or something and promptly forgot about it five minutes later until a new game was started, but triple melee damage? Can't remember what I used to pick back then, but one of these days I'll have to fire it up and hit Warrior to see if there's any difference.

Might even give Swords of Xeen another shot, never was able to get that to run back then.

I didn't know the difference until I did a little research in preparation for this LP. Apparently the game was originally balanced and tested on Warrior mode, but NWC felt the need to add an easy mode for players who were just interested in exploration and puzzles. The trouble is that many combat deaths come not from attrition but from trying to go up against enemies way out of your league that one-shot your party, so doing more damage doesn't necessarily help as much as you might think.

ultrafilter posted:

If you're going to do the mad dwarves, it's worth putting in some prep work. Spoiled for those who don't want to know anything ahead of time:
There a lot of traps in the mines that inflict poison or disease on your characters, and you have to go back to a temple to heal them until you learn the appropriate spells. There are some statues south of Vertigo that will teach those spells to all of your characters who can learn them for free. The only catch is that you have to be able to swim to get to them. If you use the mirror to get to the river town (Riverton?), you can learn swimming in there without needing to fight anything except a few mad beggars.

What, and make things easier on myself? :v:

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 5, 2012

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Bonus Update 1.5: Vertigo

Now that we've finished exploring Vertigo, let's look at the map from the hintbook.

The advice in the book is pretty comprehensive, and contains solutions to many of the game's puzzles. As the monster stats from the hintbook show, the enemies in the first town are pushovers, but their high speed means it's a good idea to take them on from a distance with missile weapons to keep them from getting an attack in.

As I mentioned in the main update, there are some classes we didn't include in the party: Knight, Ninja, Druid and Ranger. Let's take a quick look at them.

Knights are a pure physical combat class. They have slightly less HP and weaker combat skills than Barbarians, but can use all weapons and armour, and begin with the Arms Master skill, giving their attacks an innate accuracy bonus. They have some advantages over Barbarians early on, but fall behind a bit at high levels.

Ninjas fill the same party role as Robbers, but are oriented more toward offence. They have worse HP and armour, somewhat weaker thievery skills, but better combat skills and an interesting selection of weapons. Robbers tend to make life a bit easier at low levels due to their higher resilience and more reliable thievery, but Ninjas catch up once they have a few experience levels under their belt.

Druids have poor HP, very limited weapon and armour selection, and weak combat skills (only slightly better than a Sorcerer on all counts), but can cast a mix of low-level spells from the Sorcerer and Cleric list. They can seem quite impressive at the start of the game, but after a certain point they hit a brick wall and stop learning new spells. Druids also begin with the Direction Sense skill, which makes the direction the party is facing appear in the purple gem above the character portraits; it's nice, but kind of redundant if you have a Cartographer.

Rangers are a Knight/Druid hybrid, combining decent combat aptitude and toughness with Druidic spellcasting. They're significantly better than Druids, since they still get a range of good utility spells and can fall back on melee once their combat magic becomes mostly obsolete: the only question is whether you can justify fitting a Ranger into your party instead of another melee or hybrid class. Rangers also start with the Pathfinder skill, which can save a nice chunk of money early on.

There's also one race we didn't include: Dwarves. They get a small bonus to HP and a corresponding penalty to SP, and make decent Robbers and Ninjas. They also start with the Spot Secret Doors skill, which gives us a hint as to when a secret passage is in front of us. This skill is handy to have, but don't worry: we can still learn it later on.

There are some handy charts in the game manual, presenting the advantages and disadvantages of each class and race for easy reference:

Druids will get +1 SP/level if they're Elves or Gnomes, -1 if they're Dwarves and -2 if they're Half-Orcs.

Speaking of spell points, I also promised you guys a writeup on the spells we currently have access to, so here it comes! Plaintext is the spell description from the game; italics are my comments.

Vertigo Cleric Spells

Awaken: 1 SP. Pulls all sleeping party members from their slumber, cancelling the Sleep condition.
If you're careless enough to try to rest within sight of monsters, you'll be attacked in your sleep, putting you at a serious disadvantage. A couple of monsters can also inflict Sleep. This spell will get everyone back in the fight... provided you have someone awake who can cast it, of course.

First Aid: 1 SP. Magically cures one character of 6 points of damage.
The most basic healing spell: Clerics start with it, and Paladins should learn it as soon as possible. It provides cheap and efficient healing, although you'll want something stronger once you've gained a level or two.

Cure Wounds: 3 SP. Magically cures one character of 15 points of damage.
Slightly less SP-efficient than First Aid, but heals a much bigger chunk of damage. Gets obsoleted by even stronger healing spells before too long, but for now it's our most important source of in-combat healing.

Flying Fist: 2 SP. Deals a light blow to a monster, inflicting 6 points of Physical damage.
A fair source of damage for Clerics early on, especially if they have flimsy noodle arms like Anleisa. Enemies resistant to physical damage do exist, but aren't too common, so this is a nice reliable attack spell. Careful about spending all your SP and having nothing left for healing, though.

Light: 1 SP. Fills a dungeon with a steady, soft light until the party rests.
Essential for exploring dark areas like caves: you can't see a thing without a Light spell or an item with an equivalent effect. Fortunately, all spellcasters start with it, so you'd have to actively try to not have access to it.

Pain: 4 SP. Stimulates the pain centres of your opponents' brains, inflicting 8 points of Physical damage.
A bit spendy in terms of SP, but does more damage than Flying Fist and hits a group of up to three enemies. A solid low-level attack spell.

Protection from Elements: 1 SP/level + 1 Gem. Reduces the damage the party receives from the elements. The caster can choose which element this applies to when the spell is cast.
Some spells, like this one, increase in both cost and effectiveness with the caster's experience level. In this case, the higher your level, the more elemental damage is blocked. If you know you'll be fighting monsters that use a particular elemental attack, this is an excellent spell. For example, all the monsters in Vertigo attack with poison, so casting Protection from Elements and selecting Poison will significantly reduce the damage you take.

Revitalize: 2 SP. Removes the Weak condition from a character.
Characters can be afflicted with the Weak condition if they go too long without resting. It slightly lowers all stats, but is usually not worth casting a spell to fix, since it gets better on its own with time or rest. However, a very few monsters can also inflict Weakness, and if they stack a few levels of the condition on a character in combat it may be worth curing.

Sparks: 1 SP/level + 1 Gem. Envelops the monsters in an electrically charged gas cloud, inflicting 2 points of Electrical damage per level of the caster.
Clerics' first elemental damage spell. As efficient as Pain (although with an added gem cost), and it scales with level, keeping it useful for a bit longer.

Suppress Poison: 4 SP. Slows the effect of poison on a character, but does not remove the Poisoned condition.
In this game, status conditions can vary in severity. Suppress Poison reduces the severity of the Poisoned condition by up to 3 ranks, to a minimum of -1, meaning that it only reduces the victim's stats by 1. The poison will worsen again over time, so this spell isn't a permanent solution unless you want to keep recasting it forever, but it can keep a character alive and functional long enough to get them healed properly at a temple.

Vertigo Sorcerer Spells

Awaken: Same as the Cleric spell.

Energy Blast: 1 SP/level + 1 Gem. A bolt of pure energy is fired from the caster's clenched fist, inflicting 2 to 6 points of Energy damage per level of the caster.
Energy damage is one of the less commonly resisted damage types, so this spell can be a good way to hit monsters that seem to shake off everything else. It hits only a single target, the damage is okay but not great and it starts to get expensive to cast at higher levels, but it has its uses.

Insect Spray: 5 SP + 1 Gem. Coats a group of monsters with a poison specially designed to kill insects.
This spell inflicts a very solid 25 damage on a group of insects or insect-like monsters. There are quite a few early-game monsters that the game considers to be insects, so this spell is very much worth picking up.

Jump: 4 SP. Puts enough strength into the legs of the party to jump over one square, provided there are no walls of matter or magic. This spell cannot be used in combat.
A useful spell for bypassing traps and other hazards in dungeons. It can also be used for outmanoeuvring monsters: fire arrows or cast attack spells until they're nearly in melee range, then turn around and Jump away to put some distance between you and the enemy, and repeat as necessary.

Light: Same as the Cleric spell.

Magic Arrow: 2 SP. Fires a magical bolt at one opponent, inflicting 8 points of Magical damage.
Magical damage is another damage type that's seldom resisted by monsters, and there are only a small number of ways to inflict it. This is quite a nice little spell against certain enemies in the early game, although it becomes obsolete quickly.

Shrapmetal: 1 SP/level + 1 Gem. Sprays a group of monsters with sharp metal fragments, inflicting 2 points of Physical damage per level of the caster.
The Sorcerer's answer to Sparks. Probably a bit more useful, since electrical resistance is more common than physical resistance.

Sleep: 3 SP + 1 Gem. Puts a group of monsters to sleep until they overcome the spell or are damaged.
I don't usually bother with status ailment spells in Xeen, but I had some good luck with them early on in my M&M3 LP, so I might give them a try this time around too.

Toxic Cloud: 4 SP + 1 Gem. Surrounds a group of monsters with noxious gases, inflicting 10 points of Poison damage.
Slightly more SP-efficient than Shrapmetal, although it doesn't scale with level. Poison resistance is pretty common in the early game, but the spell still has its uses.

Wizard Eye: 5 SP + 2 Gems. Gives the party a bird's-eye view of their surroundings. The view will appear in the upper right corner of the game screen.
While the radius it shows is fairly small, unlike the automap it shows places the party hasn't yet walked over. This makes it helpful for locating secret passages.

Finally, I've included a copy of The Sixth Mirror, the introductory story from the manual that explains the plot of Clouds of Xeen. It presents similar information to the in-game intro video, but goes into significantly more detail. It's not mandatory reading, but I found it interesting.

And that's it for tonight's bonus update. The votes are in and the result is clear, so for the next main update the party will be exploring the Red Dwarf Mines. See you there!

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 3, 2012

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
IIRC the Druids had one single advantage going for them, a spell or something. Was it Walk on Water or what?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Pierzak posted:

IIRC the Druids had one single advantage going for them, a spell or something. Was it Walk on Water or what?

You're thinking of Might & Magic III, where Druids and Rangers did get a small number of unique spells, of which an even smaller number were really worth mentioning. In Xeen, every single spell on the Druid/Ranger list is also on either the Sorcerer or Cleric list, so there's even less reason to use one.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Unless you need a druid for roleplaying reasons!

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008

Thuryl posted:

You're thinking of Might & Magic III, where Druids and Rangers did get a small number of unique spells, of which an even smaller number were really worth mentioning. In Xeen, every single spell on the Druid/Ranger list is also on either the Sorcerer or Cleric list, so there's even less reason to use one.

How awful are they compared to their M&M VII counterparts? I assume that, given the larger party sizes, generalized/hybrid classes are more useful then when you get pared down to just four members?

In VII, the druid class is not only worse at spell-casting then its constituents, but also is worse at physical combat too. That's right, druids are literally worse than every other class in every way.

Of course, I may have never used druids correctly; they can make the highest level of potions possible, but I was never much into alchemy.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Thuryl: Will you post the big overworld map once we get outside of Vertigo? I always loved that one, I think I even still have the big paper one in my battered old M&M4 box, whereever that's gotten to. I always loved the physical overworld maps for WoX, they were so cool and really made you want to explore the locations you could see.

Edit: Also, as it comes to stats, spells, skills and classes, WoX seems a lot like M&M3, are there any significant changes or additions?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ogianres posted:

In VII, the druid class is not only worse at spell-casting then its constituents, but also is worse at physical combat too. That's right, druids are literally worse than every other class in every way.

If we're talking pure, offensive prowess, then the druids beat sorcerers soundly with their master rank in daggers, compared to master staves for sorcerers. Equipping two daggers does respectable and fast damage, a staff is just a poor man's shield.

Although I probably wouldn't rank master in any of those things, you got enough spell schools to worry about as is.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Ogianres posted:

How awful are they compared to their M&M VII counterparts? I assume that, given the larger party sizes, generalized/hybrid classes are more useful then when you get pared down to just four members?

Of course, I may have never used druids correctly; they can make the highest level of potions possible, but I was never much into alchemy.

I'd say MM7 druids are clearly better than Xeen ones overall. MM7's do still suffer a bit in the late game after sorcerers and clerics get access to Light/Dark magic, but at least they still have their own niche in alchemy. Higher-level Xeen druids just don't do anything at all that other classes can't do just as well or better.

Also, MM7 druids' spell points are based on the sum of their Intellect and Personality, so they'll tend to end up with massively high spell point totals. Xeen druids' spell points are based on the average of their Intellect and Personality, so they'll tend to have somewhat lower SP than the other full casters.

Having said all that, I did use a druid for my very first playthrough of World of Xeen and while he definitely felt a bit like dead weight at higher levels, I was still quite capable of finishing the game. Taking a druid along is suboptimal, but not ruinously so.

PurpleXVI posted:

Thuryl: Will you post the big overworld map once we get outside of Vertigo? I always loved that one, I think I even still have the big paper one in my battered old M&M4 box, whereever that's gotten to. I always loved the physical overworld maps for WoX, they were so cool and really made you want to explore the locations you could see.

But of course. The forums have even made thumbnailed images work properly again just in time for me to do so.

quote:

Edit: Also, as it comes to stats, spells, skills and classes, WoX seems a lot like M&M3, are there any significant changes or additions?

There have been some minor changes. The spell list has been changed around somewhat, but most of the big mainstay spells of the series are still there. Some classes' weapon selections have changed a bit: the Barbarian has a slightly broader weapon selection than in III, while the Archer has a slightly narrower selection.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Tendales posted:

The voice clip that plays when you enter the mad dwarf area has stuck with me for decades.

I played World of Xeen for the first time last year and I will take that voice clip with me to my grave.

Let us inflict it upon the world! To the Dwarf Mines.

Also, despite having played WoX for the first time last year? Why yes, it is very fine indeed. I am all kinds of :neckbeard: to see this LP off the ground.

• Locked thread