Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

tinstaach posted:

If I was in charge of making trailers for the big blockbusters, I'd make sure they were always holding something back that people had to wait until opening night for. I remember two-years-and-change ago when this Iron Man 2 trailer came out and everyone went absolutely batshit about the suitcase armour. Then I went to the theatre and it basically had no impact because I had already seen it in the trailer 15 times. The moments people should be talking about when they leave the theatre shouldn't be in the trailers. I don't watch red band trailers for the same reason.

They definitely figured this out (accidentally or intentionally) as the new suit in the Avengers is awesome and surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Shanty posted:

God, halfway through this I can almost hear the record scratch and subsequent Smash Mouth number.

Or Wall-E. The trailer came to mind instantly.

VVV :roboluv:

Nybble fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 29, 2012

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Robert Denby posted:

The first trailer for "Wreck-It Ralph" is up (video is about mid-way down). Could be fun, though I'm not crazy about the music in the second half of the trailer.

Yeah, the music isn't the best match. It would have been more clever naming-wise, had the song been paired with it's popular remix, Levels.

I love all the cameos. I thought when I saw the teaser that they would just have homages to the classic 8-bit characters (Donkey Kong vs Mario, Wreck-It Ralph vs Fix-It Felix), but nope! Clyde, Bowser, Zangief, Dr Wily, Dr Egghead (Whatever happened to Robotnik?) ... awesome. Should be a fun movie, and the kids (and our inner-kids) will love it.

I wonder if they'll come out with an Arcade game?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Mr. Squishy posted:

That's not Samus, that's Sargent Calhoun apparently. The price-tag for characters drops significantly if you're just using them for a cameo, right? Or maybe they factor in the marketing it'll do. Basically I'm trying to minimize the cost of that stupid Villain Anonymous bit.

Considering that Nintendo's financial numbers haven't been great lately (IIRC), it probably wasn't that much. Plus, it was (only) Bowser, not a Yoshi, Samus, or even Mario.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

kiimo posted:

Why would that worry you?

Deus Ex Machina is a lousy way to end it if there is no build up towards it.

I don't think it'll end that way though. If we are going to make Cast Away comparisons, that didn't have a supernatural element to it. (IIRC, it's been a while)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

TetsuoTW posted:

Could've done without "Django is off the chain," but otherwise goddamn does it look like Inglourious Basterds really was a turning point for Tarantino.

I got that feeling too. They feel like proper movies that will appeal to more than just a subset of cinephiles, but with enough winks towards the fans of all his earlier works.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

DivisionPost posted:

I don't think A Good Day to Die Hard is going to be, you know, good, but the trailer dropped today and...well, I like the use of "Ode to Joy" and I LOVE LOVE LOVE McClaine's one line here.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/good-day-to-die-hard/trailers/a-good-day-to-die-hard-teaser-trailer-30781677.html

"The Summer Action Movie just came early." is the only thing I could think when I saw that. (That needs to be a tagline somewhere)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

kiimo posted:

Here's our new trailer for Gangster Squad, complete with new re-shoots eliminating the theater-shooting scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zNF8CY9_dE

Don't know why it ends early (5 seconds short), but oh man do I want to see it now. That was a great trailer.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EjG-1U3wqA

Iron Man 3: Tony Stark Vs The World

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

mugrim posted:

I have not reread the book since the first time I did, and it was amazing then, but it was probably where I read it.

That said, based on that vignette format, it really should be a mini-series with multiple directors.

Agreed. Something like the Animatrix setup or an HBO series would have been perfect for WWZ.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
GlaDOS was mentioned, but then there was (almost) also the Narrator from Bastion too!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Hand of the King posted:

Pointy ears annoy me to no end. I don't know why.

Check your privilege, round ear!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
^^ :911:

twoot posted:

Bootleg version is dead, but the official one is up now;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyc6RJEEe0U

I love it. Gives me chills.

Elon Musk, the movie

alternatively

"If You Build It, They Will Boldly Go."

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

my god, it's full of (old action) stars

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

PriorMarcus posted:

This isn't how jobs work so gently caress him. It's good that he helped people if he thought the outcome would be anything other than loosing his job then he's a moron.

I don't think he actually was fired, and it sounds like Fox spent $25k on some pretty good branding efforts, although gently caress Upworthy and Natureknows for their neo-linkbait headlines.

And seriously, what kind of promotional material could you make with so little?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

So this is supposed to tie into the end of the latest Thor movie, correct? The extra Credits scene?

Either way, anytime you have animals with machine guns, I'm in.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It's like "The Matrix", but without the Matrix.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
An older Elon Musk and a mid-western Jony Ive are teaming up to save the world by creating a worm hole to jump to another planet and bring back resources.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Is GotG gonna tie into the existing Thor/Avengers storyline? Or is it going to be it's own thing?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, that movie looks like boring poo poo and he's wasted. He was amazing in Pain & Gain and now he's in this poo poo. The man is legit - give him something good.

Didn't you know everyone was clamoring for the sequel to Scorpion King?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
But not with The Rock himself! Those don't count :colbert:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Just saw an IMAX 3D trailer of Transformers before seeing Edge of Tomorrow.

:tviv:

I don't think I'll be able to hear anything for 30 minutes after I see it, but holy poo poo, I really want to go now.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
"The Imitation Game"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg85ggZSHMw

"The Imitation Game is a nail-biting race against time following Alan Turing (pioneer of modern-day computing and credited with cracking the German Enigma code) and his brilliant team at Britain's top-secret code-breaking centre, Bletchley Park, during the darkest days of World War II. Turing, whose contributions and genius significantly shortened the war, saving thousands of lives, was the eventual victim of an unenlightened British establishment, but his work and legacy live on."

-- As someone who admired the work Alan Turing did and the importance of his machines, and the indigity he suffered after the war, I'm so glad this is being made. The script has been around for awhile and finally got picked up. Looks fantastic.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh hey, it's almost a Cryptonomicon movie.

Probably not the only one, but this is actually how I first heard about Turing. I was obsessed with code-breaking in middle school and Cryptonomicon almost taught me more about that time than other sources.

Probably as close as we would get to a Neal Stephenson book being turned into a movie, although I feel like Snow Crash might be doable and marketable. Or the trilogy as a series.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It would have to be a TV series on Syfy with "Numb3rs" diagrams for all of the little digressions that Stephenson loves so much. Turning 900 pages into a movie? No, never. Also, get rid of the sex scenes and gratuitous stuff.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Mr. Squishy posted:

I hope more films are made out of twitter hashtags.

#NotAllMen will be an Adam Sandler movie and it will be awful. But I repeat myself.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Surprisingly little nuance, given the title.

It will make $50 Million in the first weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
If I was good at video editing i'd take the "Want to see what's behind this door?" scene and cut to a scene from the My Little Pony "brony" documentary showing off hundreds of little unicorn toys. Someone make this happen please.

• Locked thread