Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
If there's no base building/engineers this is a no buy for me. That was my biggest beef with dow2 I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Maybe I'm just bad at the game but I felt like there weren't enough comeback mechanics. Like the tempo of the game started with the first kill.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
I like playing British in Company of Heroes, what will I do now?!?!?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

drizzle posted:

If there's no base building/engineers this is a no buy for me. That was my biggest beef with dow2 I think.
Yeah, I heavily dislike the slide away from base-building that Relic has done. Base-building by itself isn't terribly interesting, but it sets up meaningful context for battles and allows for some measure of scouting (although this was difficult in CoH due to the base defense). I love coming up with or using interesting builds in SC2, as it gives strategies (especially opening strategies) more nuance, and I think CoH could have that element without compromising what makes it feel like CoH.

I also remember feeling like the early game in CoH was a bit too musical chairs-y for my tastes, albeit not nearly as bad as DoW2 was. I liked the listening posts in DoW1 and don't really see what was so bad about that system.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 10, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There was something off about both the macro and micro's pacing in DoW2 that really put me off its multiplayer game mode. With units being in squads, unit responsiveness wasn't precise enough for me since I preferred SC1/2's snappyness when it came to micro-heavy fights. On the macro side, there was a lot of lulls in the action since losing a squad was a big deal, and that could happen very quickly due to the lethality of both melee and ranged combat.

It's like when things are slow in DoW2, it's really slow since you're waiting on more resources or trying to provoke the enemy into a fight where you're in a superior position. Likewise, when things are fast, HP drops way too fast for your units to respond effectively apart from hitting the retreat button.

It's a shame: I love 40k and I played the single-player campaigns to death, but I barely enjoyed multiplayer.

Even if it was such a huge departure from DoW1's style, I always liked CoH's gameplay and pacing. Without melee fighters, you didn't have to heavily micro units and get screwed over by dudes getting caught in cover. Abilties could turn firefights in your favor, so you didn't get caught in high-HP grinds. Hope Relic can pull this one off.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Baron Porkface posted:

Maybe I'm just bad at the game but I felt like there weren't enough comeback mechanics. Like the tempo of the game started with the first kill.

A big part of the game is known when you're losing a skirmish and getting your guys the gently caress out of there and back to base with the retreat button. Ideally, if they keep pushing, you should have your retreated units and some units already at base to counter them.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
I didn't see "proper coding and reasonable netplay" listed under new features :( I'm also going to assume the recent housecleaning didn't change Relic's attitude much and most of those new features are campaign only.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

cuntrageous posted:

Still fat. Far as I'm concerned pie hasn't gotten any less delicious. COHBROS ASSEEEMMMMMBLLLLLEEEEE

Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.

Making Swastikas on the map using pings was far too entertaining. Where's Dukka? And Kurz? well actually maybe lets just worry about Dukka. BuffButler?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Oh good you made a thread for it. I'll definitely give it a shot, but even if it sucks we'll always have the original CoH. :allears:

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Kraustofski posted:

I like playing British in Company of Heroes, what will I do now?!?!?
Come to terms with what a terrible, terrible person you are.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
All the COH bros want is matchmaking that is not poo poo. That is it. Relic could possibly screw this one up, but they have all the mechanics from COH still lingering around. The real question is this: will the doctrinal trees come back? If so, when am I getting my Hetzers and STUHs?

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012

drunkill posted:

I'm hoping they don't go with too many cheesy russian accents. I kinda want them to do all russian with a bit of broken english for some stuff and subtitles for the cutscenes, but that won't happen.

Right now with CoH you can get the German-language voice files from the German version of the game, and I'm sure I'll be the same with Russian.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Can't wait for the indomitable SU-85 tank.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I was hoping coh2 would be Vietnam but this is good enough. I wanna hear the voices of cowering conscripts.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Eagerly awaiting the new plethora of harm pun names.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Here's to hoping they won't screw it up like they did DoW II.

RTS needs base building damnit :arghfist: .

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Holy poo poo yesyesyes. CoH was me and my buddies go-to game for years, this is great.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Boiled Water posted:

RTS needs base building damnit :arghfist: .
I agree, at least for this kind of RTS. But let's face it, CoH's base-building was pretty minimal. I think it'd be cool if they expanded on the base-building, but did it in a way that makes sense for a WW2 RTS (instead of just copying *Craft). Like, maybe have supply depots that actually create supply lines that have vehicles that automatically run between capture points back to base to deposit resources, rather than just create some abstract 'supply' resource.

edit: On second glance, that sounds pretty similar to C&C, but the key difference here is that it would be directly tied to the points you capture on the map, rather than something you manage directly by making and directing trucks. This might also satisfy Baron Porkface's desire for a comeback mechanic since the losing player would have fewer lines to defend and more to assault.

edit2: Oh and give us more squads to control in 1v1, I want finer control over battles.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 11, 2012

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I don't think base building is a requirment, too many of my favourite RTS games just don't have it. It is definitely necessary for a certain style of RTS but we don't know enough about Company of Heroes 2 to say anything yet.

DoW 2 always suffered because it didn't make the transition well enough. There was just no real justifiable reason why there was no base building as removing it didn't really add anything to the game. If anything it felt like it suited base building more than Company of Heroes as the call-in tree was dumbed down.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It happened in C&C4 as well, with bases being removed for some sort of walking contraption that spat out units like nobodies business.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Honestly? DoW2 had one of my favorite RTS single player campaigns of all time. But it still wasn't as good as CoH's or Homeworld's, but it's up there. The things that made it good were way different from what made CoH's campaign good, though. I really enjoyed the fewer units and more fine unit control. I enjoyed it even more in co-op, where we each only controlled two units and worked together. I also liked the loot and RPG aspects. It just wasn't as intense as CoH though. The setpieces weren't as good, the sound and visual design wasn't as good. I also just didn't like the map or encounter design as much. But I wouldn't call it awful, not by a long shot. I had a great time playing it. But I don't want to see those systems in CoH. They don't have any place there. Luckily, I doubt they'd do that again.

MP though? CoH beats it by a mile. It's the best multiplayer game Relic has ever made. I'm not a big MP RTS guy but with the few hours I've played of each of their games, I can tell that pretty easily.

I'm not really sure if Relic has what it takes anymore without key people like Jay Wilson. I know games are made and designed by more than just one person, but he seemed like he was a pretty big part of what made CoH and DoW1 special. In some ways, DoW2 just felt like a cheaper clone of those games trying futily to recapture the magic. Interestingly enough, you can see a lot of Wilson's design tendencies leak from Relic's games into D3 :v:

Loveline
Dec 30, 2005

Eej posted:

Can't wait for the indomitable ISU-152 tank destroyer keeping with all the broken allied crap from coh 1.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I want every Soviet to be voiced by Gary Oldman.

E: Also, will the gameplay change in any way to reflect the Eastern front (ie, larger battles)?

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Adam Bowen posted:

CoH was a god drat fun game but so was Dawn of War and Relic managed to turn the sequel to that into dumbed-down poo poo

DoW2 wasn't dumbed down, it went for a more RPG lite/RTS style of game compared to the wholesale warfare of the first one. Some of the poo poo in 2 was pretty complex whereas 1 was loving meatgrinder city. It sounds like the DoW3 angle is going to be like loving Epic 40k in scale so you'll be happy. Essentially the games are like vanilla 40k (regular levels of customisation, a lot of mans), Kill Team (very high customisation, few mans) and Epic (customisation unknown now, poo poo tonne of mans).

COH: United Offensive will be the best game in any case.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

It sounds like the DoW3 angle is going to be like loving Epic 40k in scale so you'll be happy.

Woah, what?

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Revener posted:

Woah, what?

Ahh this was the info last time anyone mentioned the game and the direction it was going. I don't know if anything has changed re Relic being hosed or whatever, but the design brief for the game and the initial info reflected an emphasis on huge battles like the ones you see in 40k art.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I'm interested to see how the true line of sight works out. I don't really like when units phase in and out of sight because they pass behind a tree or something. Other games that use true los usually look silly to me.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

DoW2 wasn't dumbed down, it went for a more RPG lite/RTS style of game compared to the wholesale warfare of the first one. Some of the poo poo in 2 was pretty complex whereas 1 was loving meatgrinder city. It sounds like the DoW3 angle is going to be like loving Epic 40k in scale so you'll be happy. Essentially the games are like vanilla 40k (regular levels of customisation, a lot of mans), Kill Team (very high customisation, few mans) and Epic (customisation unknown now, poo poo tonne of mans).

COH: United Offensive will be the best game in any case.

The biggest problem with DoW2 was porting over CoH mechanics and then proceeeding to add things on top that either negated them or made thier usefulness questionable like jumpjet/teleporting melee squads, heavy crush on SO MANY units leading to all cover being slowly eroded or the fact that a lot of units were quite capable of damaging both vehicles and infantry with ease as opposed to a need for dedicated AV units.

Oh and commanders screwed things up too i guess, plus CoH mechanics worked best on larger maps with less to no chokepoints as opposed to DoW2s absolutely tiny maps.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Just echoing everyone else but I am loving excited as poo poo about CoH II. I loved the original Dawn of War, and felt that CoH improved it in so many ways. DoW 2 was a real step back (in the multiplayer at least).

My favorite part of CoH is how the faction designs basically represented the flavor of the different armies in a really natural way. Just little things like how the allies earned experience while the germans brought in more experienced troops, fits into the whole backround of world war 2.

I hope CoH 2 keeps up with that tradition.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

LordLeckie posted:

The biggest problem with DoW2 was porting over CoH mechanics and then proceeeding to add things on top that either negated them or made thier usefulness questionable like jumpjet/teleporting melee squads, heavy crush on SO MANY units leading to all cover being slowly eroded or the fact that a lot of units were quite capable of damaging both vehicles and infantry with ease as opposed to a need for dedicated AV units.

Oh and commanders screwed things up too i guess, plus CoH mechanics worked best on larger maps with less to no chokepoints as opposed to DoW2s absolutely tiny maps.

I thought overcoming cover with jump packs or teleporters was good and made a gunline have to think about a counter, but yeah I recall a force commander with porter and thunder hammer just being battle God laying waste to everything with no real weaknesses. It would have been better if you had to take tankbustas rather than just ignore poo poo and power to t3.

e: but gently caress this poo poo this thread is about a game that will be perfect in every regard.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.

Dukka posted:

Come to terms with what a terrible, terrible person you are.

Not ready to let go of my bofors and 17 pounder gun emplacements... I just like playing defensive Allied doctrine for some reason. Summoning Priests and Churchills to the field rocks and whatever the hell those cute little tanks are called that move fast as lightning... I'd miss those guys. Just get like 10 if those and its a game ender for some terrible players.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Kraustofski posted:

Not ready to let go of my bofors and 17 pounder gun emplacements... I just like playing defensive Allied doctrine for some reason. Summoning Priests and Churchills to the field rocks and whatever the hell those cute little tanks are called that move fast as lightning... I'd miss those guys. Just get like 10 if those and its a game ender for some terrible players.
They have to be terrible players in the first place to let you get 10 Stuarts.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Overjoyed about this. I hardly do day-one purchases nowadays, but this is one of those exception times.

Loveline
Dec 30, 2005

Kraustofski posted:

it's you. you're the terrible player.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I used to play British and rain poo poo on CPU enemies for hours lol :v:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
To hell with the hate on Brits, heavy artillery and trenches for life :black101:

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012
:siren: CoH now on sale for $2. :siren:

Available on Steam for only $1.99, now there's no reason to not have this game. They also have Gold Edition for $6 and the Complete Pack for $10.

If you're reading this you probably already have the game, but maybe tell a friend or something?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'm amazed they still do the 1 to 1 thing from USD to EUR on steam (and battle.net for that matter).

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

cuntrageous posted:

Still fat. Far as I'm concerned pie hasn't gotten any less delicious. COHBROS ASSEEEMMMMMBLLLLLEEEEE

Time to reminisce about 20 minute load times and sherman plasma shields

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

They have to be terrible players in the first place to let you get 10 Stuarts.

Are you the same tychocelchu from CoH Gamereplays? I used to really like your shoutcasts or w/e they're called of CoH. I was sad when you moved onto MoW, a cool game and fun to play, but I can't stay interested in replays of it.

• Locked thread