Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
philosoraptor
Nov 4, 2008
Soiled Meat

PokeJoe posted:

I wonder if they'll be able to implement vehicle theft without being gimmicky. Maybe it's campaign only.

Worrisome if only because weapon stealing turned certain units (riflemen) into slavering monsters if you had a moment of bad luck as Wehr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ugh I don't want vet 3 commies sneaking in my tigers.

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012
I'd imagine it'd be campaign-only like a lot of the Tiger stuff in the Tiger Ace campaign. Still, the idea of playing the Russians as gently caress upgrades, I'm just going to steal all your poo poo is pretty awesome.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I wonder if the co-op thing will be a boon to the MP scene, right now if i want to play MP so many people play nothing but goddam comp stomps on terrible maps like achelous and schedlt so having them quarantined from the general MP population might help things.

That said they should just make more non terrible maps in the first place.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Have they mentioned whether they'll have the same faction restrictions (one side has to be all Axis and one side has to be all Allied) that they did in CoH1? That was one of the most mindbendingly stupid design decisions I've ever seen in an RTS. It's obnoxious to casual players, awkward and broken for competitive play, and there aren't even any upsides. "We can't have Allied and Axis on the same side in our game where we construct tanks on the battlefield from resources gathered on the battlefield, because it wouldn't be realistic!" Well, I guess maybe it makes the game easier for Relic to balance?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 16, 2012

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

SSGT Anime posted:

I'd imagine it'd be campaign-only like a lot of the Tiger stuff in the Tiger Ace campaign. Still, the idea of playing the Russians as gently caress upgrades, I'm just going to steal all your poo poo is pretty awesome.

Decrewing just could be a random effect of critical damage or using flame weaponry and the like on vehicles.

Cicero posted:

Have they mentioned whether they'll have the same faction restrictions (one side has to be all Axis and one side has to be all Allied) that they did in CoH1? That was one of the most mindbendingly stupid design decisions I've ever seen in an RTS. It's obnoxious to casual players, awkward and broken for competitive play, and there aren't even any upsides. "We can't have Allied and Axis on the same side in our game where we construct tanks on the battlefield from resources gathered on the battlefield, because it wouldn't be realistic!" Well, I guess maybe it makes the game easier for Relic to balance?

Relic couldn't even balance allies vs axis and you want to double down? Please.

philosoraptor
Nov 4, 2008
Soiled Meat

SSGT Anime posted:

Still, the idea of playing the Russians as gently caress upgrades, I'm just going to steal all your poo poo is pretty awesome.

The Germans painted Balkankreuz on T-34s whenever they got the chance in the early war.

Det_no posted:

I was under the impression that CoH was a kind of Ying-Yang balance, at least in 1v1.

philosoraptor fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 16, 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Det_no posted:

Decrewing just could be a random effect of critical damage or using flame weaponry and the like on vehicles.

It sucks that they're bad at balancing, but if that's really the reason for the restriction that's a huge cop-out.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I played CoH for a little bit and I had fun with it but I wasn't very good at the game. The best part for me was watching replays of other players battles. Very excited this was announced.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Company of Heroes seem to be moving closer and closer to being Close Combat in 3D. I like that.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Cicero posted:

As a fairly casual player who just wants to have big WW2 fights this is not remotely obnoxious to me, and would put me off the game if there wasn't an option to filter it out. The gameplay, graphics, and sound all come together to create a fantastic atmosphere and I would hate to see that broken.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And from a purely graphics perspective, the game is beautiful in part because it doesn't need any unit colors. All Allied units are always on one side and all Axis are on another. If mirror matches could happen they'd have to do the whole "this army wears BLUE UNIFORMS" thing.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

And from a purely graphics perspective, the game is beautiful in part because it doesn't need any unit colors. All Allied units are always on one side and all Axis are on another. If mirror matches could happen they'd have to do the whole "this army wears BLUE UNIFORMS" thing.

On the other hand, with the new winter theme you might run into situations where one group of soldiers in white snow coats is fighting another group of soldiers in white snow coats and half of them are using captured guns.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
60 dollar game :I
http://shop.thq.com/store/thqworld/...s=1337186543571

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That seems to be the new standard, unfortunately.

I think i'm going to reinstall CoH when I get home.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is that a first for THQ? Everything else they put out has been $50. Darksiders 2 included. Their whole shtick is based around cheaper prices and constant and often excessive deals. It's weird that they're going the $60 route this time.

Hell, people can pre-order a (steamworks) copy of Darksiders 2 for $35 at GreenManGaming. Expensive isn't really their thing. I wouldn't be surprised if that price was a mistake.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is that a first for THQ? Everything else they put out has been $50. Darksiders 2 included. Their whole shtick is based around cheaper prices and constant and often excessive deals. It's weird that they're going the $60 route this time.

Hell, people can pre-order a (steamworks) copy of Darksiders 2 for $35 at GreenManGaming. Expensive isn't really their thing. I wouldn't be surprised if that price was a mistake.
Darksiders 2 is €50 here which is well over $60. Also, Europeans can't view the english site, we automatically get the German version.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

ShineDog posted:

As a fairly casual player who just wants to have big WW2 fights this is not remotely obnoxious to me, and would put me off the game if there wasn't an option to filter it out.
Not sure what you mean here by "filter it out". Obviously you could enforce whatever rules you want in custom games.

quote:

The gameplay, graphics, and sound all come together to create a fantastic atmosphere and I would hate to see that broken.
I agree, but having different factions on the same side is a tiny immersion concession for a huge gameplay benefit, especially since it already doesn't make much sense to have, say, British and American squads tangled up in the same battlefield.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Easy solution: with only 2 sides in a match, you could just use unit colors of "camo green" vs "army brown" and it'd look pretty much the same as it does now.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Why not just make up whatever uniforms you want like in all of the Dawn of War games? Bright pink purple and loads of SS troops everywhere.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShineDog posted:

As a fairly casual player who just wants to have big WW2 fights this is not remotely obnoxious to me, and would put me off the game if there wasn't an option to filter it out. The gameplay, graphics, and sound all come together to create a fantastic atmosphere and I would hate to see that broken.

That's just wrong, the best thing in Men of War was making Soviet Union vs United States fights and USA vs UK fights.

I agree that making USSR and Germany VS USA and Japan would be silly though, simply because the balance issues would be astronomical.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I always regarded the locking of factions in multiplayer to be a Fantastic design decision. In the original release of the game even the maps were locked to faction specific start points.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Rock Paper Shotgun preview up! Screenshots!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I can't wait till we are calling each other loving morons over VoIP again.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Personally the best thing will happen is causing people on the official forums to have aneurysms when their primo supremo tactics of spamming some dumb poo poo over and over doesn't work and they sceen cap the match to death or relic forgets to add a check sum to CoHII.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
Hopefully I can connect to more people in this new version.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Elgar posted:

Good luck learning how to port forward.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I just want them to reincorporate COHO's matchmaking system. Made getting games way better and prevented babbys ditching a game because the other team is already full and they don't want all randoms.

I hope the soviets erect a monument to poontangerang.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Kotaku posted a similar writeup to RPS but included larger images thankfully:

Burn baby, burn

I thought russians were Orthodox, apparently not...

Edit: I know, but them (presumably) burning their own church. I guess the germans were holed up inside of it.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 23, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Nope, that cross is right.

CoH always looks ok in screenshots but beautiful in motion. I await footage!

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Now the horrible vehicle pathing can be attributed to snowbanks and mud, hooray.

Also brits were awsome while gliders had crush, after that they lost all their redeeming qualities.

Elgar posted:

This is going to be the main selling point for me as well.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm still amazed that units in RTS games of today have more detail on them than your average FPS unit from a few years ago. :v:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

kalthir posted:

This is going to be the main selling point for me as well.

Presumably COH2 will use the same Steam-based multiplayer as DOW2 Retribution does.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

John Charity Spring posted:

Presumably COH2 will use the same Steam-based multiplayer as DOW2 Retribution does.

Or GFWL...

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Phrosphor posted:

Or GFWL...

I was under the impression that unless THQ wants to undergo some :20bux: deephurting, they'll stick to steam because GFWL is a joke. An terrible one that leaves a awful taste in your mouth.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
No way would they do gfwl. One of their main selling points of retribution was a switch to steam works.

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

I just hope that waist-high fences and sandbags dont block infantry movement this time around.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I think one of the features mentioned was the ability to jump over obstacles so im gonna guess that solves that problem, ahhhh i can hear the comp stompers screams of rage at AI troops mantling their bullshit little walls even now.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

LordLeckie posted:

I think one of the features mentioned was the ability to jump over obstacles so im gonna guess that solves that problem, ahhhh i can hear the comp stompers screams of rage at AI troops mantling their bullshit little walls even now.

Eh, I did a lot of AI matches with RL friends who aren't very competitive and didn't want to play the MP. The AI in CoH has awareness of your positions in fog of war, your production queues and also has significant manpower bonuses which lead to massive rushes early in the game. That's part of the reason why people played so defensively in comps, you don' really have a choice early on. To be fair though some people just really love to turtle.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

The Gunslinger posted:

To be fair though some people just really love to turtle.

Hence, Brits. A terrible lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

drunkill posted:

Kotaku posted a similar writeup to RPS but included larger images thankfully:

Speculation time: It looks like the two dudes in cloaks with the DP-28 MGs (the guns with the circular magazine) form a seperate squad. Perhaps the russians will have them as a rather mobile suspression-platform instead of set-up tripod mounted heavy machine guns like the Wehrmacht/Americans used in CoH?

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 23, 2012

• Locked thread