Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I really like my NZXT H440, it's very sleek both inside and out, has one of the best drive bay designs I have seen, has very good dust filtering, is very quiet with good temps and has built in lighting that is actually useful in the form of a white LED that lights up the rear IO panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I can't see myself getting rid of my Air 540 anytime soon. Sure, it's huge, and looks like a rejected Borg Ship design, but resting it on its side, I never have to worry about heatsink or card sag.

Side cube cases are the way to go

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
I bought a gtx 970 5 months ago for $150.

How long before I can buy 1080ti horsepower gpu for $150 as well?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Aging Millenial posted:

How long before I can buy 1080ti horsepower gpu for $150 as well?

2 GPU generations

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just lol if you don't buy the Fractal Define R5 in 2017.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I wish Silverstone didn't have a patent monopoly with their 90degree rotated cases. No GPU sag since they are vertically mounted from the roof. I wonder when their patent expires...

eames
May 9, 2009

Somebody should make a SH/SC case megathread. I had a couple of questions but wasn't sure where to post them, since this is the GPU thread many seem to have the same problem :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

eames posted:

Somebody should make a SH/SC case megathread. I had a couple of questions but wasn't sure where to post them, since this is the GPU thread many seem to have the same problem :v:
The parts picking megathread covers cases.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's 22GB to people who have more money than time to read about how SLI works. >.>

I assumed that is the market who drop $2000+ on triple/quad SLI.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ihmemies posted:

I wish Silverstone didn't have a patent monopoly with their 90degree rotated cases. No GPU sag since they are vertically mounted from the roof. I wonder when their patent expires...

Why not just buy a silverstone case, or watercool and use an EK backplate.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ihmemies posted:

I've used the PCIe power cables cable tied to the HDD bracket in my case to hold the card end up. A simple and effective solution.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Enos Cabell posted:

Found some pics of my rig from May 2006. Still using that case, in a secondary PC. I just love the way it looks.
They were really on the ball with those. Eventually I'll have a 200mm fan fitted to the sidepanel of my v1000, and just use that to cool it.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Side cube cases are the way to go
I think so. It's such a simple solution to sag, or heat travelling up from graphics to CPU or vice versa. Giant coolers with no worries.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 7, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Why not just buy a silverstone case, or watercool and use an EK backplate.

Well I have the Raven 2 but I'd like something smaller. The new fortress is nice, except it has the lamest mirror strip running around the bottom of the case. They should just make one without any bells & whistles.

If they fix Ryzen's driver & mobo issues and put out a good mATX mobo, maybe I'll buy a http://www.jonsbo.com/en/products_39_1.html - it should fit a full length GPU, no weird tricks required.

Also sorry for the case chat!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It appears when Nvidia said "1080ti FE has improved power delivery" they actually meant "we re-added the components we cut from the Titan XP to save a few cents"

come on nvidia there's no excuse for not fully populating a $1200 card :colbert:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Huh, so technically you could add a dvi port to the 1080ti so long as you made sure all of the support circuitry was there. I wonder if you could also add in the missing ram chip if it would automatically be detected... I highly doubt they'd go through the trouble to remove the traces, considering it'd mean they'd have to pay more.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Ihmemies posted:

Im not sure they do. There are at least two other cases that are the same design. Fractal Design has made one for about the same amount of time (Node 202+). I cant remember the other one atm.

It really is a great design though.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Huh, so technically you could add a dvi port to the 1080ti so long as you made sure all of the support circuitry was there. I wonder if you could also add in the missing ram chip if it would automatically be detected... I highly doubt they'd go through the trouble to remove the traces, considering it'd mean they'd have to pay more.

The card comes with a DVI adapter.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

repiv posted:

It appears when Nvidia said "1080ti FE has improved power delivery" they actually meant "we re-added the components we cut from the Titan XP to save a few cents"

come on nvidia there's no excuse for not fully populating a $1200 card :colbert:

Hey at least it has an extra 1gb of VRAM

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The memory controller that would connect to the missing RAM isn't even present, so soldering that last gig of ram down would do nothing.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Gwaihir posted:

The memory controller that would connect to the missing RAM isn't even present, so soldering that last gig of ram down would do nothing.

Ahh, so it got lasered out. I was wondering if they just left it in, and had it designed to not worry about memory controllers if the chip is missing to make things easier. Hynix's gddr5 data sheet doesn't provide all that much on hardware & pin specifications though...

e: wait never mind, i just missed it. The ram pins can be hi-z, but it has no info I can find about recommended controller terminations for unused pins...

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 5, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

Titan P... Black :unsmigghh:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

If anyone had any doubts about r/AMD being the single worst tech community on the web, read the comments on this thread about GN receiving death threats for their Ryzen review.

Has anyone seen the assertions by other reviewers earlier that Joker was known for faking benchmarks posted or discussed on r/AMD?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

They're absolute arseholes. Got a link?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Was there supposed to be a link in that post?

E:f,b.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair, if you're a public figure of any sort, you're going to get flames and death threats. Especially when you've got fanboys involved.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Whoops, somehow didn't put the link in my last post.

here

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I mean flaming is one thing, but death threats? How angry are these nerds?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The example they posted was "I hope your family gets cancer"... which is not a death threat.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Zero VGS posted:

The example they posted was "I hope your family gets cancer"... which is not a death threat.

Either way its pretty horrible behavior (from the consumers, not even the creators for christ sake) for something as niche as a PC gaming component market.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zero VGS posted:

You sure? I mean, TotalBiscuit eventually got cancer from the internet. :v:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

buglord posted:

Either way its pretty horrible behavior (from the consumers, not even the creators for christ sake) for something as niche as a PC gaming component market.

Welcome to the internet, how long have you been here?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Internet is serious business

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Just because "I wish you died of cancer" (as an example of the messages he was getting) is normalized, that doesn't make it actually a good thing. If "I'll kill you' is at one point and 'die from cancer' is at another point below it, both of those are still so loving far above the ground that they look close to the same height! FFS, the internet needs some goddamn civility injected right into its rear end cheeks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

From what I've read Ryzen should be reasonably expected to do better in games than the testing so far has shown, so I'm hoping to see some microcode and/or other updates released to get a better sense of how the CPUs will perform. I do wonder if games that have been out for a couple years will get downstream patches to get their performance up to snuff, but am taking a wait and see attitude. In the meantime I'm just gradually overclocking my old Phenom II to help it keep up.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel that ryzen is pretty great if you do things other than play games like actual work. If you just play games at 1080p like so so many people do, then its a pretty bad value per dollar. A similarly priced intel cpu compared to every released ryzen cpu wins pretty handily. Its slower clock for clock and doesnt clock as high.

When people have to keep adding qualifiers to force situations where ryzen is actually faster, its not very convincing. I dont care about it winning synthetic multicore benchmarks. I want it to play games better than intel and it doesnt so my next gaming build will have an intel cpu and nvidia gpu

I still have high hopes for ryzen 5 being able to overclock better with its less cores and maybe there will be better optimization by then. Hopefully new games will start being able to utilize 4+ cores as those are everywhere now especially for anything considered a "gaming pc"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

How does it do in min FPS, frame times, all the good stuff at gaming?

eames
May 9, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

How does it do in min FPS, frame times, all the good stuff at gaming?

Many owners and viewers report that Ryzen systems run games smoother than recent Intel systems but I can't find empirical evidence for this claim. There's one cherrypicked frametime benchmark making the rounds but that's about it. I hope Digital Foundry has frametime comparison video between Ryzen and Kaby Lake in the works.

edit: oops wrong thread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 6, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
The big *Argle Bargle Gamer Nexus Bad* review has 1% and 0.1% frames a good deal better than intel in most games, fwiw

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That's good to know. I'm kind of interested in getting one, will see how it's looking after a few BIOS revisions.

Tbh everything I do on a PC, except game, is fast as anything on a 2500k. I don't really care about the average / max frame rates, either, just min FPS / frame times. Give me smooth, baby. Current reviews are mostly useless.

I feel a GPU upgrade is "good" if it makes my games smoother. I'm hoping Zen is something that can add to that.

I hope someone does a good review with a 1080 / ti at 1440, and covers that well. Also vr, but that would impact reviewers important "post non tech articles on Facebook" time.

If it can match a skylake at 4.5ghz in that alone I'll get one and take the 16threads.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
I wouldnt care if the top fps wasnt close to the intel offering if the min fps was higher