Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nothus posted:

I don't think the concern is about competing with miners for the new cards, but trying to find a purpose for the used cards rather than having them become ewaste.

not any concern of nvidia's tho and they are most certainly a business obligated to make profit.

They get to sell at the scalper pricing, keep the profit and get to pretend to have moral high ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There won’t be much ewaste because they won’t sell that many of them. If Nvidia can succeed in destroying ROI by getting rid of “free” consumer cards completely and making it hard to get ahead on a CM card, there will be less overall negative impact they’re making on the world’s resources while also not angering the vast majority of buyers who buy a card and consider the money lost.

Edit: FWIW, I think the 3060ti gets a revision but Nvidia won’t bother to botteneck the 3070 or higher. The ultra settings crowd is not going to go to consoles.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 8, 2021

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

https://youtu.be/LkU_Z3A_uxo?t=16

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

njsykora posted:

Also they know graphical progress is slowing down to the point where the entire marketing push for the 3060 was for 1060 owners to upgrade since even 5 years later it's still a very good card that's perfectly capable of running almost anything. If they want the consumer GPU market they kinda need to maintain a decent price point else everyone's just gonna stick with whatever card they already have since hey it still works.

But then, the 3060 was at least £100 more than the 1060 was at launch so maybe not.

Counterpoint: VR. Some VR games can bring a 3090 down to its knees, so maybe Nvidia should push for more VR adoption

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

KinkyJohn posted:

Counterpoint: VR. Some VR games can bring a 3090 down to its knees, so maybe Nvidia should push for more VR adoption

I tried out Squadrons on a Reverb G2 and at max settings with a 3090 and 9700k it's just barely able to hang in there around 90 FPS without going into reprojection. I think I might have some thermal issues since my case is more designed for quiet than for good airflow, though.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

not any concern of nvidia's tho and they are most certainly a business obligated to make profit.

They get to sell at the scalper pricing, keep the profit and get to pretend to have moral high ground

E-waste should absolutely be a concern for the companies who actually make the products that generate e-waste. It's stupid to give a company a free pass because 'they're obligated to make a profit' or whatever. People make that argument all the time and it's neoliberal nonsense - a company doesn't have some inherent obligation to make as much money as possible in any way possible. Nobody's hand is being forced by the market. They have a moral (and in some cases, depending on their board or shareholders, legal) obligation to not generate mountains of e-waste.

Obviously tho people in this thread are saying its more a concern generally, for us as humans who live on the planet. Although the group of people that make up the profit making company NVidia do also happen to fall into that category

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 8, 2021

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So when Nvidia said there was going to be more stock in H2, what were the conditions that were set to change around that time?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The big rush on new Samsung phones ends? Samsung get better yields? Samsung?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In case anyone else is having this problem, I resolved the issue I had with NVIDIA Broadcast's camera having corruption/flicker on the image when used in OBS or Zoom or Meets, by changing my motherboard's PCIe setting from Auto to 3. Apparently it's a known interaction between AMD CPUs/motherboards and the Broadcast software, with no clear resolution on the horizon from any of the players, but I don't have an PCIe 4 hardware so it was an easy choice for me.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

I tried out Squadrons on a Reverb G2 and at max settings with a 3090 and 9700k it's just barely able to hang in there around 90 FPS without going into reprojection. I think I might have some thermal issues since my case is more designed for quiet than for good airflow, though.

Oh you think driving a G2 is bad? I'm trialling a Pimax 8KX right now and it's 3840x2160@75hz times two eyes. Almost double a Reberb G2 except the refresh is a little lower.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

In case anyone else is having this problem, I resolved the issue I had with NVIDIA Broadcast's camera having corruption/flicker on the image when used in OBS or Zoom or Meets, by changing my motherboard's PCIe setting from Auto to 3. Apparently it's a known interaction between AMD CPUs/motherboards and the Broadcast software, with no clear resolution on the horizon from any of the players, but I don't have an PCIe 4 hardware so it was an easy choice for me.

Oh my god, thank you for sharing this. It has been driving me crazy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Good news for adventurous people working in 3D, video, and ML:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1368915899605004294

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Quick question: Is a 2080ti going to do it for me? 1440p/144, used from someone I trust.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Craptacular! posted:

Quick question: Is a 2080ti going to do it for me? 1440p/144, used from someone I trust.

that's more or less a 3070, which is what I'm running right now. still more than enough for 1440p/144 for most games.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

gradenko_2000 posted:

The business model is supposed to be that the gaming cards are going to have bad/crippled mining efficiency, so miners won't buy them

And then, the mining cards are going to be the ones that can mine well, to drive the miners to those

But, the mining cards are going to be priced much higher than the gaming cards, so that Nvidia can get a bigger share of money from people who have more money to burn (i.e. dedicated miners/mining firms)

So even if you could find a legitimate non-mining use for mining cards, assuming the model works the way it should, it's not going to be worth buying mining cards to do non-mining stuff, because they're going to be priced much too high for it

Out of curiosity & maybe I missed it, but is Nvidia doing with those mining cards like they did with the old 1060 where they pulled off the video outputs? I remember a few vendors sold cards like that & Linus did a video for how you could get one for cheap & piggyback it off the dGPU on an Intel mainboard so it could still game & get some value. Even back then I thought it was stupid to pull the video ports off the card, the resale on those particular 1060 cards tanked pretty hard because nobody wanted (or knew how) to get them working with a bunch of hacks.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Out of curiosity & maybe I missed it, but is Nvidia doing with those mining cards like they did with the old 1060 where they pulled off the video outputs? I remember a few vendors sold cards like that & Linus did a video for how you could get one for cheap & piggyback it off the dGPU on an Intel mainboard so it could still game & get some value. Even back then I thought it was stupid to pull the video ports off the card, the resale on those particular 1060 cards tanked pretty hard because nobody wanted (or knew how) to get them working with a bunch of hacks.

yes, they're putting out headless GPUs. it was possible to use them for non-mining but it's such a hacky cludge that yeah they're all functionally ewaste if mining conditions change and it's legit kind of a bummer. they'll also be much more expensive than the gamer cards and as such have proven kind of ineffective at their stated primary goal.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

I'd jump at chance for a decently priced 2080Ti for 1440/144 ultrawide, leave along 16:9. While directly comparable to the 3070 on the whole, it even seemed a little better for non-RT content when I looked.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

ufarn posted:

Good news for adventurous people working in 3D, video, and ML:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1368915899605004294

I don't know anything about soldering chips onto a board but that dude made it look comically easy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Reflow soldering reasonably-sized components with the proper setup (a quality hot air system, solder paste, stencils, good flux) is quite easy. Also quite easy to gently caress up if you don't have the right tools.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
and that dude had real steady hands.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
no change to the memory controller!?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Reflow soldering reasonably-sized components with the proper setup (a quality hot air system, solder paste, stencils, good flux) is quite easy. Also quite easy to gently caress up if you don't have the right tools.

wow just looked up what that was, fascinating, got a youtube rabbithole to go down.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

wow just looked up what that was, fascinating, got a youtube rabbithole to go down.

That's the truth, I have spent entire weekends watching those sorts of videos. There are a bunch of channels of people buying broken hardware off ebay and trying to fix them, for example.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's the truth, I have spent entire weekends watching those sorts of videos. There are a bunch of channels of people buying broken hardware off ebay and trying to fix them, for example.

It's popular enough that there are whole channels pretending to repair old stuff.

But otherwise this kind of democratization of knowledge is one of the awesome things about the internet.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So is the race going to be who can mod the miner cards to work like a normal GPU and set up a service for that or is that impossible?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CyberPingu posted:

So is the race going to be who can mod the miner cards to work like a normal GPU and set up a service for that or is that impossible?

it's totally possible - it happened with the last gen using some cludge by using an iGPU as a passthrough and it's probably even more possible now. it's just - the card costs more, the hacks are all possible but a PITA from a usability perspective (thus killing the secondhand market, which is the GPU manufacturer's intent) and thus far aren't compatible with nvidia's software anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I do want to note that that video that Linus did about using a pass-through to have the mining card run its output through the motherboard's video-out ports has some caveats - mucking around with modified drivers can get picked up by anti-cheat software in online games, and NVidia stopped issuing compatible drivers for the mining cards after something like 2018, so you can't use a P106 to play more modern games

It's in NVidia's interests to actively work against letting mining cards become useful for non-mining purposes, because otherwise they're going to end up on the second-hand market, and a big second-hand market eats into NVidia's sales of brand-new parts

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
Is there a guide to using a bot to check amazon for stock changes? I saw it posted once or twice in this thread but obviously didn’t bookmark it.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

CoolCab posted:

that's more or less a 3070, which is what I'm running right now. still more than enough for 1440p/144 for most games.

It slightly outperforms the 3070 on raster usually and I think will continue to do so. I have a 2080ti at 1440p/144 and I do not plan to upgrade at all this cycle, very very limited benefit for a huge cost. It played Cyberpunk just fine, I didn't even finish the game. Nothing else has made it even hiccup.

I did put a 3rd party cooler on the stock 2080ti and I love it, the one I had was a blower (!) that was incredibly loud and hot. I was able to get a really easy auto-overclock just by essentially fixing the thermals. If yours is a solid 3 fan version I'm sure you'll be fine.

The 3060ti isnt supposed to be a $1000 part but when you have people paying $800-1100 for an obvious step down in every way, take the 2080ti and enjoy it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I checked local markets and an RTX 3060 is selling for more than what I bought my Ti for

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lockback posted:

and that dude had real steady hands.

He did, he's very good at it. I haven't soldered bga in 20 years and I'm very confident I'd gently caress it up now, even with the correct gear.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CyberPingu posted:

i think the opposite will have more interest, having the gaming cards not game

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Fauxtool is right and the reason is simple : miners need payoff. If putting the effort into getting a gaming GPU to mine looks like it'll pay for itself, they'll do it. A gamer buys a card and wants to keep using it for an indeterminate period of time. If you somehow did process where you do GPU work on a mining card and transfer frames across PCIE to another GPU for output, what happens as soon as something breaks that pipeline? The value is completely lost.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

bus hustler posted:

The 3060ti isnt supposed to be a $1000 part but when you have people paying $800-1100 for an obvious step down in every way, take the 2080ti and enjoy it.

If someone wants to gamble, lately every couple days the newegg shuffle has had 3060Tis for about $660 and 3070s for about 100 more. Obviously still overpriced, but better than ebay scalpers.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FuturePastNow posted:

If someone wants to gamble, lately every couple days the newegg shuffle has had 3060Tis for about $660 and 3070s for about 100 more. Obviously still overpriced, but better than ebay scalpers.

check the combos too, some of the especially terrible combos can be returned separately. I dont know if its new policy or they forgot on some items.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This popped up in my feed today.

quote:

Scientists developed “wearable microgrid” that harvests/ stores energy from human body to power small electronics, with 3 parts: sweat-powered biofuel cells, motion-powered triboelectric generators, and energy-storing supercapacitors. Parts are flexible, washable and screen printed onto clothing.

GPU problems solved!

Plz don’t prob me.

As for content I continue to be impressed by a lot of the integrated graphic solutions these days. My M1 mac actually games really well while having a decent battery life.

I have a GPD win Max with 10th gen intel graphics and while it’s only 720p it games pretty drat well!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can see nike going all in on something like that. The dank rear end sweaty shirt powers the sensors that monitor your performance.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Ultramarathoners would love that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

EngineerJoe posted:

Ultramarathoners would love that

It's stealing energy you could be using to run more! Actually it's probably cooling