Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Sphyre posted:

Here is my take on these shortages. If I were a chip manufacturer struggling to meet demand I would simply construct additional foundries.
TSMC is the chokepoint. It's loving insane, they're effectively a global monopoly. NVIDIA, AMD, Apple, Qualcomm, and Intel(soon) are all begging them for far more chips than they can supply. NVIDIA for example purchased every scrap of spare capacity they could from TSMC and it still isn't enough. They're building a foundry in Arizona but that won't be ready until 2024 and will give only a small increase in global capacity.

No one can effectively compete with them creating current gen chips because you need like 12 billion+ dollars and 3 years to build a single foundry. Even Intel is probably going to outsource some of their fabrication to TSMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 2, 2000

Duck and Cover posted:

Would you like to donate to my indiegogo?
Goon project!

Aug 2, 2000

Canna Happy posted:

I mashed buy on this 3070 last week but ended up not needing it. I offered it in the thread at cost, but the goon that wanted it backed out on me today, after it was already delivered. Does anyone want this? I’d love to meet in person around the Portland area, but I’m willing to ship. Let me know soon, otherwise it’s just going back to Amazon.

https://imgur.com/a/8HbTA4f
pm sent

Aug 2, 2000

Hasturtium posted:

I know it's not a new piece of hardware, but after enduring my Vega Frontier Edition's godawful noise and thermals I plonked on a Raijintek Morpheus II and two 12.5mm-high 120mm Noctua fans. It is a MASSIVE visual downgrade, but I went from routinely skirting overheating with a noise profile like a box fan in a dirty factory to gently audible with temps that never nudge above 80 Celsius in exhaustive torture tests. Recommended - though maybe I should have gone with be quiet! fans for aesthetic reasons.

Those colors look like wood and remind me of this article:
https://local.theonion.com/broke-dad-makes-son-playstation-2-for-christmas-1819565860

Aug 2, 2000

sean10mm posted:

But seriously the 6000 series is somehow miles worse than the 3080 launch lmao

Paper vapor launch.
B&H Photo released a statement saying they never received any and don't know if/when they will lmao
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/pages/availability-update/amd-rx-6000-series.html?origSearch=rx%206800

Aug 2, 2000

Youngblood is a short arcade co-op spinnoff that's very explicitly not Wolfenstein 3. The loot and upgrades don't turn it into Diablo or some poo poo, it's like 6 hours long.

I thought it was funny. You go from BJ talking like a dying character in a Cormac McCarthy novel with his grim Texas drawl to a couple of irreverent teenage girls. The hidden alt-history 80's Nazi music cassettes were superb, they clearly put a lot of effort into that element. Even if you never play the game it's worth looking those up on youtube.

Aug 2, 2000

At 6AM I started refreshing newegg and checked out with the 3060ti Gigabyte the second it dropped. It went out of stock less than a minute later. Praying it actually ships and they don't delete the order later in the day.

Aug 2, 2000

twxabfn posted:

Tried installing the 3060 tonight and the driver won’t install fully. It gets about 1/6 of the way through, goes black for a second, then jumps straight to saying it completed, then keeps intermittently going black for a second and popping up a Windows alert that says “Force to reinstall graphics driver” and clicking that does nothing.
Try running a driver sweeper before anything else. The default uninstaller actually leaves behind a lot of junk that can cause problems when you change cards.
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Aug 2, 2000

According to the reddit thread some 3xxx cards with multiple 8 pin connectors come with little cards that specifically say not to use split cables.

Aug 2, 2000

Got my 3060ti and it doesn't fit in my case ahahaha.

Aug 2, 2000

repiv posted:

Doom Eternal had its framerate cut in half for the Switch port, in a way the TW3 port is more impressive because it was already a 30fps game and they had to make it work on the same frame budget
That Witcher port is loving crazy. It was already playable at release and they patched it to look and perform substantially better later.

Aug 2, 2000

I'm loving the engine for Cyberpunk. Being able to change all settings in the menu instantly is awesome for benchmarking. Most games force you to quit to the main menu to apply some changes or restart the game entirely.

Aug 2, 2000

That would explain a lot for me. I've been running benchmarks with the 3060ti and it never drew more than 150W or went above about 55-60 degrees even with everything cranked to max. I couldn't figure out why the game wasn't using it more. Gonna try this fix and report back.

Aug 2, 2000

DeathSandwich posted:

So given the choice, what manufacturer do you guys like for the RTX cards? The last couple generations of cards I've gotten have been Gigabyte and EVGA and I've been generally pretty happy with them. I've tried to avoid ASUS because I had more problems than not with their cards before (but this was pre-GTX980, so I admit they could of changed since then).

Edit: Not that we've got any room to be brand picky given the supply constraints, but still.
EVGA is by far my favorite. High quality products and they have strong warranties and a setup-up program. The warranties are about more than duration. EVGA doesn't give a poo poo if you install an aftermarket cooler or overclock your card as long as you can revert it to stock before servicing. They also have a reputation for great customer service and quick turn around times.

Aug 2, 2000

The sharpening filter in NVIDIA Freestyle helps with the DLSS noise. Actually the game just seems to be a bit noisy/blurry in general even without DLSS. I set "sharpen" and "ignore film grain" to 50%. It's not a cure all but it looks much cleaner to me.

Aug 2, 2000

Uggggh
https://twitter.com/TechPowerUp/status/1339108794916352004?s=20

Aug 2, 2000

shrike82 posted:

it's a 3% discount
My concern is partly that cards are vastly marked up from production cost. If NVIDIA or AMD have a 3% cost increase the end price for the consumer could increase more than 3%. I'm more worried about the overall trend though. I don't see competitors like Samsung or Intel competing against TSMC in a big way. Intel is even considering outsourcing to them. Without more substantial competition they might step up prices even further in the future.

Aug 2, 2000

Chainclaw posted:

Is there a useful list of ray tracing games available right now?
Doom Eternal, Minecraft, Metro Exodus, Shadow of the Tomb Raider. There are others but there's not very many.

Aug 2, 2000

repiv posted:

Doom Eternal doesn't have RT
Whoops you're right. For some reason I thought it was in already.

Aug 2, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

you just gotta get into flight sims man

they're absurdly expensive, always broken, and so poorly coded that they run like crap no matter how fancy a computer you have. it's great
I just did a full rebuild and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 still destroys my frame rates on max. Looks completely photorealistic at times though!

Aug 2, 2000

Flight Simulator 2020 looks absolutely incredible at high settings. At times things come together just right and it looks completely photorealistic. It's probably one of the most future-proof type games out there. I don't think people will be maxing it out at enjoyable framerates for years, at least not at a reasonable cost. I don't even like flight simulators that much but it's fun to visit different picturesque locations. The idea of running it on VR just makes me lol for now. I can't even run it regular at the settings I would prefer.

Aug 2, 2000

Godamn. I more grateful than ever I snagged my card earlier.

I thought I would sell my old 970 for like $80. I looked on ebay and there are recent sold listing for $130.

Aug 2, 2000

Why are miners going in so heavy on 30xx cards? I thought ASICs were far superior for mining?

Aug 2, 2000

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Working to help address" = "paying analysts to say why poo poo's hosed but not actually doing anything to fix it or keep it from happening again"
"Let's just keep begging TSMC and Samsung for capacity that they don't have"

Aug 2, 2000

nnnotime posted:

Lol at the 30X0 series prices now on ebay.
Out of curiosity I looked at the prices for 3060ti cards that were sold successfully. They were all $1,000+ holy poo poo this is insane.

Aug 2, 2000

Crypto mining will end or be greatly reduced eventually. Institutions know that coins have huge transaction and electrical costs. The crypto ecosystem will move towards Proof of Stake coins that don't use mining and are 99% more electrically efficient. Ethereum is alpha testing that transition already. Coins are attractive to many people because they use blockchain and some are highly deflationary, but you don't need mining to achieve that. We're going through a poo poo period of GPU availability in the medium term but it will end eventually.*

*Until the Taiwan invasion of 2025**
**Followed by the AI "GodMind" incident of 2030

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aug 2, 2000

keevo posted:

Dumb question - Is there any talk of the cards being exempted again from the Trump tariffs? It'd be cool to be able to snag a new card at last year's price whenever it's not completely impossible to buy one.
Yesterday the US Secretary of Treasury said the tariffs will remain in place for now but they will be examined. Literally that vague.

Aug 2, 2000

Threadkiller Dog posted:

I like how I considered the 3080 for 800€ my least financially responsible purchase by far last year. Lol as it turns out to have been the most fortunate
Same. I was hesitant buying a 3060ti during the plague economy but I wanted it for Cyberpunk so bad. Now scalpers are selling them on ebay for $1300 :wtc:

Aug 2, 2000

shrike82 posted:

a sane country/government/economic system would look at these supply chain issues and go "maybe we can create domestic jobs by catering to this demand for high-end manufacturing processes"

but :capitalism:
Foundries cost billions of dollars to build and don't reach profitability for years so top-down government intervention help immensely. The Taiwanese government was a shareholder in the early foundries(including TSMC), and China's SIMC is also partially state owned. South Korea supports foundry investments through state owned banks. I think all three subsidize training for engineers in some way as well.

The US doesn't do the State Capitalism thing and historically hasn't offered much beyond tax breaks. The new Defense Authorization Bill does have a semi-conductor section attached that gives a budget for incentives but it's not clear to me yet what exactly those incentives are.

Aug 2, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol at multiple global crises rolling together into a Katamari Damacy of disaster
Don't worry, when the typhoons return they will also take out facilities and drive the prices even higher.

Aug 2, 2000

gary oldmans diary posted:

Can't I pay with my life force directly instead of expending it in this elaborate buying ritual?
Is this close enough?

Aug 2, 2000

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I dare you to roll some & smoke it
No need to roll a joint. He just needs to put his mouth over the fan while his friend plays The Medium at max settings.

Aug 2, 2000

None of the chip fabs in Texas have resumed production since the power outages. The article says the shutdown is costing Samsung "millions" but that sounds very optimistic to me.
https://www.statesman.com/story/business/2021/03/10/samsungs-austin-fab-still-shut-down-weeks-after-texas-freeze/6924766002/

quote:

Weeks after it was shut down amid power outages during last month's Texas freeze, Samsung's Austin fabrication facility still has not resumed operations. The situation is likely costing the technology giant millions of dollars, industry experts said.

Coupled with the simultaneous shutdown of NXP Semiconductors' two Austin fabrication facilities, the situation is turning into an "economic disaster for the semiconductor industry in Central Texas," said Ed Latson, executive director of the Austin Regional Manufacturers Association.

Samsung, which is the biggest electricity user on Austin Energy power grid, and NXP were among several large industrial power users that were ordered to shut down their Austin operations the week of Feb.15.

Power was restored to Samsung's facility on Feb. 20, but the company confirmed it is not yet resumed work at its Austin fab.

"While we are currently making efforts to resume operations as soon as possible, the process may require more time to reach normal levels as we inspect and reconfigure the facility," Samsung spokeswoman Michele Glaze said. "Our primary focus is to ensure safety on-site for our workforce as well as our community."

In February, a consortium that negotiates with Austin Energy on behalf of the city's biggest users of electricity confirmed that the city had ordered the companies to idle or shut down as more than 180 power-generating plants failed across the state, bringing the Texas power grid close to collapse. The plant shutdowns came as many Austin homes were without power and residents were dealing with potentially dangerous conditions

NXP Semiconductors, which has two Austin facilities that powered down and saw its power restored about the same time as Samsung, had also not resumed operations as of Friday and had no estimate to share at the time, according to a report from the Austin Business Journal.

"We are diligently working through product, equipment, and system assessments to resume our operations as soon as possible," company spokeswoman Jacey Zuniga said when the NXP facilities were shut down in February. "This process may require more time to reach normal levels due to damage caused by utility disruptions and other site impacts from the winter storm. Our focus is on the health and safety of our employees and the Austin community."

The facilities produce a notable percentage of the world's semiconductor chips. ExtremeTech, a trade publication, estimated that Samsung's Austin facility produces about 5% of the world's 300-millimeter wafers in a given month. Bloomberg Intelligence estimated that NXP's facilities account for about 37% of the company's total production.

Latson, of the Austin Regional Manufacturers Association, said some of Central Texas's semiconductor companies have been able to restart small amounts of their operations but others remain fully down. His organization works with about 1,700 companies with operations in Central Texas, including Samsung, NXP Semiconductors and National Instruments.

"This is the worst economic disaster for the semiconductor industry in Central Texas in my time" leading the association, Latson said.

It's not clear when the facilities will return to operations, or to what extent any equipment or products were damaged as a result of the shutdown. Estimates for the total cost of the shutdown vary, but experts agree it could be costing Samsung millions.

Aug 2, 2000

repiv posted:

my understanding is that non-invasive EEG is inherently very limited (your skull lowpasses out the juicy stuff) so i don't know how useful this stuff will be for games
From reviews and demos I've seen on the Emotiv, you can do "left, right, up, down, yes, no" but it's not instant and fast like a button press. You have to concentrate.

Aug 2, 2000

Biden's trade chief says US won't be lifting tariffs on China
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-s-trade-chief-says-us-won-t-be-lifting-tariffs-on-china/ar-BB1f3JHs?ocid=BingNewsSearch
American 25% GPU tariff will remain for the forseeable future

Aug 2, 2000

Lurikeenrock posted:

he called it the 3080 tie, is that really what its called? not Tea eye, like the how you would say the atomic symbol for titanium?
The chat went berzerk objecting to that pronunciation lol. Yeah, I think everyone says it like Tea Eye

Aug 2, 2000

Besides FFXIV, DLDSR is also fantastic for Hunter: Call of the Wild. It has gorgeous natural environments but it also has deferred rendering and shimmering. Huge world of difference with it on and still runs fine.

Aug 2, 2000

https://twitter.com/bengrossbg/status/1565442720818135040?s=20&t=-pJpPIyEYQmUK25AgOoQMQ
The end of the chip crisis

Aug 2, 2000

I found this video randomly while I was high and it had me in tears. Pitch perfect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5dQzbnSkcA

Hope you all had a great holiday and got some upgrades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 2, 2000

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder if Video DLSS will come to have Firefox compatibility or what would be involved in that. I like the look of the feature, but not enough to use Chrome.
It works in Edge. You should be using Edge to maximize your Bing points.