Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

cat doter posted:

Anyone know if there's a Witcher 3 AMD driver coming soon? Performance seems ok on 15.4, though I have no idea if that's the theoretical limit. Seems the bad CPU optimisation isn't an issue with Witcher 3 though, utilisation is quite low.

According to AMD's VP, sometime this week, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Unless you're running an Ultrawide monitor; then, uh, it doesn't. Not supported, it says. ;_;

GeDoSaTo still works, though! :haw:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 11, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

1998-2003: Voodoo 2 or 3 (cursed vague childhood memories)
2004-2009: Integrated crap including various Intel chips and a Radeon Xpress 200M at one point
2009: ATI Radeon HD 4770
2011: AMD Radeon HD 6870
2013: AMD Radeon HD 7950
2014-present: AMD Radeon R9 290x

I feel like the main realization coming from this cataloging is that I seem to be attracted to card manufacturers of ill repute; almost all of those are Sapphire or Powercolor cards, and they've typically ended up being loud and prone to failure. Unfortunately, they also seem to be the brands that go on sale the most. :v:

Next card's likely to be a 980ti, I think.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

A PNY 980ti I'm guessing :haw:

Huh, upon googling, it actually seems like they get less of a bad rap than they used to, but yeeeeah I'm probably gonna stick with EVGA or MSI cards for the immediate future.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Where would I go to online to buy a 2070S tomorrow? Or is it just going to start getting advertised?

I've been looking to answer this same question all day, and haven't had much luck. Some folks on the Nvidia subreddit are talking like they'll be dropping at 9AM EST tomorrow, but others are acting like midnight EST is the time.

I'll be up at both times, so I guess it doesn't really matter to me either way, but I also wonder how something like this hasn't leaked.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Do the FE Super cards not support voltage control? The slider's grayed out in MSI Afterburner, even with the appropriate settings ticked.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

So I had this issue with my 2080ti (EVGA) until the most recent build of MSI Afterburner. Basically if it's not an MSI card you have to go into the settings and enable third party voltage control or something like that. I apologize if that's what you meant by appropriate settings ticked. It's possible that the super cards are new enough that they need to patch that into afterburner.

Yeah, still grayed out when set to third party. I updated to the beta version as well, but no dice. Thanks for the tip, though; guess I'll wait it out until they update it again.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ughhhh posted:

So in order to redeem the wolfenstein code for the rtx cards i have to go through bathesda and go through Epic again for control?

Yes to both. With Wolfenstein at least, you have to install it through the launcher, but after that, you don't actually need to have it open to run the game.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Used to be able to flash Radeon 6950s to 6970s for free performance back in the day.

drat I should have done this, but in further retrospect, it was a PowerColor card and probably would have exploded in the case

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So, uh, how are those AMD drivers nowadays?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Azuren posted:

I bought a 5700 XT at launch last summer and the drivers were indeed wonky at launch - they were playable by rolling back to an early version, and they've had everything ironed out and sorted since last December, IMO. Probably won't be as janky this go-around but it's possible there will be some issues at launch, just like anything else.

That's... good? Frankly, I'm still on the fence between this and a 3080. Call me old-fashioned, but RT doesn't matter as much to me as decent anti-aliasing and high FPS. :shrug:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Llamadeus posted:

DLSS also happens to the best available anti-aliasing solution :v:

I actually tried DLSS recently in Control and... I mean, I could tell I was looking at a upscaled image. FPS savings (at least on a 2070S) weren't especially great, either. May just be that specific implementation, though.

Best form of AA in my book is TAA with internal render resolution ticked up by 20-ish percent.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

secret volcano lair posted:

that's weird on multiple counts and makes me wonder if you were running DLSS 2.0 / Quality or not. at the very least there should be a very big and noticeable FPS difference no matter what

The only thing I can think of is that I'm on a 1440p ultrawide and it may just be too large a resolution for DLSS to have any profound effect. I don't know.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, that 3080 that went up a few minutes ago was instantly in "won't even go in the cart" territory.

And now it's gone.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I... somehow just managed to grab one of those 3080 + PSU combos off Newegg?

What is this warm feeling growing in my chest

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t count Newegg until the order is in packaging or shipped. They cancel poo poo all the time.

:hehe:

fingers crossed that this actually fits in my NR200 build that I'm doing

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

redreader posted:

Yep I got one like that (motherboard combo) on Saturday and my shipping notification from the actual delivery company has been updated. I had to enter a code to log into newegg and had already linked it to paypal, where I also logged in. So it wasn't instant but I was done within about 30 seconds from when the link posted.

I also did my order through Paypal, but none of my poo poo was logged-in. Felt like it took forever, and I was pretty much convinced this would go like the Zen 3 launch last week where it'd spit me back out to an empty cart with no order after checkout.

But it all worked out somehow; I went back after the fact and noticed that the specific bundle I picked up never actually appeared on StockDrops (at least not on their Twitter, I stopped following their Discord). I wonder if that might have saved me in this instance.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Can anyone with a 3080/3090 redeem those COD/Watch Dogs bundle codes or are they tied to your card specifically? Thinking of giving away one.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm trying to register my Gigabyte 3080 for the 4-year warranty, but the registration page (for the US at least) keeps timing out. Anyone else having this issue? Would I be fine using their global page?

edit: Never mind, I just did it through their global page. I was fine.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 22, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah. Mines fine :shrug:

Uh, same. And this is one of the Gigabyte OC models.

Some of these responses are starting to make me wonder, though.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Something I probably should have asked a while back: Is it normal to be seeing stability issues - like, random hard reboots - with a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC on a 700w PSU (combo-ed with a 5900x and 3600mhz 32GB RAM)?

I think it's specifically the factory overclock (because there's no other OC going) that's causing issues, because all's fine when the AORUS ENGINE utility is not running. And oddly enough, it's only doing this when the card is idle, not when there's a game or other GPU-intensive app running.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 5, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Xaris posted:

no. If it was GPU instability I believe you would probably see some BSODs of various forms. That sounds more like a DRAM stability problem. Have you tried turning off XMP in the bios (if you're using it)

I do have XMP on, but it was doing this at 2666mhz as well. Plus Event Viewer is showing GPU-related error codes (278 specifically) at time of shutdown.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

My nr200 sits next to one of these

I call it the "don't talk to me or my son ever again" build

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Scarecow posted:

No im talking about system memory and the latency issues that ryzen has, the meme of 3200mhz ram being good enough needs to die already.

Hes running a 3700x/3200mhz with a 3080, his mate is running a 5600x and 4000mhz ram will will have lower latency and higher ipc then him

Its not about VRAM

For real. Practically all of my stuttering issues in AC Valhalla disappeared when I finally figured out how to make my RAM's 3600mhz XMP profile work. Night and day.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

bus hustler posted:

I ger where everyone is coming from but you shouldn't need to buy expensive RAM just for CoD Warzone?? AC Valhalla is so lovely its almost the exception that proves the rule.

I mean it doesn't have to be expensive RAM, you could go for the cheapo (but still fast) OLOy ram that I did, just know that there's probably gonna be some weirdness in setting it up

Still don't really know why simply setting a XMP profile resulted in a no-boot scenario, but setting a XMP profile while also manually downclocking to a lower frequency then slowly inching it back up to the rated speed in 200mhz increments fixed things :shrug:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 6, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Space Racist posted:

Welp, still had hard reboots after reverting to stock CPU voltage, and also after disabling XMP just to check that as well.

Would undervolting the card slightly be worth a try?

Someone remind me why I enjoy this hobby again... 😒

Make sure you have separate PSU cables going to the power connectors.

Also, try updating your motherboard BIOS. I was having similar problems (though likely a different cause) with hard rebooting and such. Ever since updating, I haven't had that issue, fingers crossed.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Man, getting one of those Newegg bundles and also miraculously managing to refund the other half of it before they started refusing them seems like one hell of a stroke of luck now.

I say "seems" because I got one of those Gigabyte 3080s with the semi-busted connectors. Sure, I managed to bend the pins back into place, and it's been totally fine so far, but well... I'm still glad for the 3-year warranty.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Liquid Banjo posted:

Are there any concerns with the Gigabyte RTX cards? I've been reading mostly mixed reviews on this one.

As I said upthread, my Gigabtyte 3080 Gaming OC had some bent power pins on arrival, which seemed to be a common issue with those initial few runs of the card at least. No idea if it's still one.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 5, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

acksplode posted:

So I nabbed a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC back in October for an all-new build, and I've had persistent issues with my PC frequently and randomly rebooting while playing games. I swapped out the power supply and memory to no effect, and then the reboots stopped entirely once I used MSI Afterburner to underclock by 150 MHz. I take this to mean that the GPU is defective and it's failing when the clock rate boosts past some point that it should be able to handle but can't. Does that sound right? Is this enough info for an open-and-shut support case, or is there anything else I can do to prove that Gigabyte needs to give me a new 3080?

I have the same card and had a similar problem back around the time I installed it, but ended up figuring out it was actually a RAM issue that required a BIOS update. No issues with it since then.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Funny thing is, I've had to turn hardware acceleration off on my laptop with a 2060 because, with it on, the entire Zoom client freezes up when I do a Screen Share. Tried updating drivers, but to no avail.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

If my old XFX 290x is throttling itself under the barest amount of load, is that a thermal paste replacement or a thermal pads replacement? Or both? Tbh I've never dabbled in opening up GPUs until now.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 26, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Helllllp, which one do I pick (GPU is Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC)

edit: Just find the proper VBIOS number through the Aorus Engine app, I'm a dummy

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 30, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Okay, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I updated my vBIOS (using the correct revision number), I updated the graphics drivers, I went into my ASRock motherboard BIOS and enabled the 4G thing and Resizable BAR... and both Nvidia Control Panel and GPU-Z are telling me that BAR's still not active. What gives?

edit: CSM is disabled as well

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 30, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And of course, updating the motherboard BIOS did the trick. I don't know why it should have, the mobo already had support for Resizable BAR and the update notes mentioned nothing about it, but it did.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Here's the SFF build (5900x/3080) I've been tooling around with since November:

It's been a mixed experience, all told. I got one of those Gigabyte 3080s with the borked power pins, though I also got lucky in the sense that it was just one pin that I was able to bend back into place long enough to get the PSU connector on. Makes me dread taking the card out, though.

Also my eyes keep telling me there's card sag, yet every time I actually force my head down there, it appears to be completely level. :confused:

edit: also it's hot as gently caress in regards to the CPU and GPU memory, no matter how much I mess around with the cooling

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 21, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

mA posted:

I'd say just leave the card in place unless it's absolutely necessary to remove it. I have a Gigabyte 3090 and I'm praying to god that I won't need to deal with Gigabyte's RMA department in the future given the dozens of horror stories there seem to be out there. The card I have is great, but it's an extra concern I have that I didn't have with my EVGA card.

I had a feeling that customer service was screwy when I couldn't actually register my card through the US website and had to go on their international(?) one instead.

The card itself has been fine (aside from the high memory temps); I was even able to get BAR working on it. Still, I'm thankful to have a 1080 as backup in case poo poo goes bad.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Twerkdad posted:

Look out, here comes Mr RGB

I feel like my eyes just went through the ride queue for Space Mountain

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

my mobo only has two slots :smith:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

brb retrofitting my open loop cooling into a dialysis machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

K8.0 posted:

If prices keep going up, you may well see people doing tactical raids on houses to steal GPUs, kinda like how they're stealing catalytic converters.

I had this thought a month or so back and deleted a bunch of posts on another forum where I'd referenced my 3080

Then I realized that the thing is more or less worthless anyway because of the borked power connectors (thanks Gigabyte!) that make any maintenance that involves unplugging cables a risky venture. Ah well.