Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
These have mostly been posted in the thread but I think my watch is over so I'll be posting what I used that finally worked.

https://discord.gg/BhQ56tr2 ATR-STONKS, aka 'the tu madre discord' This discord actually got me my card. It has way more notifications than both of the other discords combined.

https://github.com/jef/streetmerchant#supported-stores This is the bot (nvidia-snatcher was too narrow, so it renamed I suppose?) It opens links to cards buy pages from various sites. I did get hits on this (stop it, do a git pull, npm install, then actually run it, at least once a week!!!)

here are two other discords, stockdrops and snail monitor, not as good as ATR-STONKS:
https://discord.gg/5qb4mMBk
https://discord.gg/nEsYAsju

You need to set up roles for all of them, the bots and the discords (read the instructions, they're good) to say what cards you want, and for the bot you can be way more specific like setting sites/models/brands/max price etc.

Make sure sound is on, on your computer, and that you mute everything on discord apart from the channels. Be prepared for disappointment! I probably got about 100 card notifications before I got a card.

Cross-Section posted:

I... somehow just managed to grab one of those 3080 + PSU combos off Newegg?

What is this warm feeling growing in my chest

Yep I got one like that (motherboard combo) on Saturday and my shipping notification from the actual delivery company has been updated. I had to enter a code to log into newegg and had already linked it to paypal, where I also logged in. So it wasn't instant but I was done within about 30 seconds from when the link posted.

SourKraut posted:

So are EVGA cards currently only available via EVGA, or are they also sending them to retailers? I've been on the fence on 3070 vs 3080, but if I could get a EVGA 3070, it'd be nice for the step-up option.

I was in their queue too but I got my EVGA (XC3 ULTRA GAMING )from Newegg on Saturday. I will apparently have it tomorrow. If it works, I'll then get off evga's queue and add to the discord's success list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
What games would really showcase the ray-tracing abilities of the 3080? Similarly, what games would I really notice the g-sync difference with?

I have an lg 1440 @ 144 and want to try something out that really blows me away, now that my 3080 is supposedly out for delivery.

All I have right now is control + metro exodus from the ray-tracing games list, but, I haven't played any of the metro games (I have the bundle) so IDK if I should jump into exodus, probably not.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Thom ZombieForm posted:

I am stumbling into buying random parts as I see them to eventually build a new PC. Looks like 3070 is the current "sweet spot" for gaming. I have a 970 currently. If I see stock for 3070 on best buy or amazon or wherever is there a preferable manufacturer in 2020 or can I have confidence in choosing whatever's available?

3070 is good but you get more or less what you pay for with a 3070 or a 3080, unlike previous generations where it's like a 10% performance difference for 30% extra money. I posted a little while ago that you pay something like 33% more for a 26% performance improvement with a 3080 vs a 3070. If you're at 1080p get a 3070 and if you're at 1440p @ 144 or higher get a 3080. They're both good choices.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
The card is good. Control is night and day before vs after, and I'm seeing smooth movement when panning in metro, fortnite, control, sekiro all at max. Generally getting over 100 fps in everything with everything turned on, ray-tracing, etc.

I don't notice g-sync though.

Looks like I can finally play fps games again!

Not sure if it was worth it? But it is good? Maybe I wouldn't have noticed the difference if I'd got a 3070.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

MeruFM posted:

did you notice screen tearing with vsync off in the past?

gsync is just uncapped vsync with better latency because frames don't need to be buffered

Yes I noticed it sometimes.

I was told in this thread that g-sync is like 'night and day' though, and I'm just saying that it definitely isn't, in case anyone was wondering.

edit: apologies to anyone who still wants a card but is unclear as to whether or not they whined too much ITT.
edit 2: there was another criteria mentioned earlier, you can only get a card scalped to you if 'you're a cool guy' I think it was.

redreader fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 11, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

Which games are you using with gsync?

I tried fortnite, metro 2033 and control for more extended periods last night (10 mins fortnite, 10 mins control, about 30-40 minutes of metro).

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Arzachel posted:

Do you have adaptive sync enabled on your monitor? Do you have gsync enabled in the control panel? Is your fps capped/running at less than the max refresh rate? Does the "gsync on" watermark show ingame once you enable it?

The user experience in getting the drat thing working certainly leaves a lot to be desired, but the effect is very much noticable even at 140fps.

I don't know
Yes
Yes, capped at 144, , msi afterburner is showing fps
Never noticed a watermark.

Looks like I have to do some investigation. Thanks!

Edit: and thanks for the blurbusters post. I have some stuff to do!

redreader fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 12, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Hm, I don't see an option (googling nvidia shows there should be one) to show me when g-sync is actually working.

I've followed all of the stuff in the blur busters guide too. Everything is working fine as far as I can tell but it'd be good to have a confirmation that this feature is working. Would msi afterburner or something, show if it's on or not for a game? According to this: https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nvdsp/To_know_if_VRR_is_turned_on_in_your_game.htm there's a way to enable a notification but I don't see it in my control panel.

I do have another monitor (a reciever) plugged in via hdmi but it's not selected/in use right now in the multiple monitor setup so only my main monitor is on. This main monitor is plugged in via a displayport cable.

My Nvidia control panel g-sync section:

edit: oh it's a top-left menu option! I just turned it on, and I'll check if it's working now.

edit 2: yes it's on. I played a little bit. I'd say it's still not night and day, but I'll just put it down to not being a top-tier gamer, because I'm definitely not one.

redreader fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 13, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Volguus posted:

So, if I wanna have a card (3070 it's fine, even a 3080 i could muster) before the decade is over I better jump on that discord thingy and monitor it like a hawk?

FlamingLiberal posted:

In theory yeah. I haven't had luck yet though.

It really does seem to be getting a hell of a lot better!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
What are safe clocks to push this to for the EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING ? Without too much effort? Like I know there's an issue at 2000 but I don't really want to go that high. And for memory, what do I push it to there? is there an overclocking guide or something?

I've never heard any noise from the card so I figure I can push it a little bit, and my temperatures aren't high either.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Don't give up on getting a newegg bundle. In the last couple of weeks, there have been more and more drops. I got a motherboard with my 3080, and the RMA page said 'you can't return items from a bundle' but allowed me to. I paid 6 dollars to send my motherboard back and I'll update when they get it, to tell you if I am told to pay extra for restocking or whatever.

The 3080 is good and allows me to play fps games at high frame rates, so I like it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

exquisite tea posted:

At this point it's still possible to consider yourself a high-end gaming enthusiast and not give a poo poo about ray-tracing, as the real showcase examples have a very limited implementation, aren't mega-sellers, and/or are 20 year old games that any old system could run anyway. Maybe that will change with CP2077, but it's quite possible that ray-tracing could be subtle or just straight up suck in that game, too.

I was all in on ray tracing especially after seeing that imo fake minecraft video. I've turned it off in cod to get 40 more fps on my 3080 and I can't notice any difference. DLSS doesn't help fps on cod either. Control looks good but it doesn't blow my mind. I'd say buy the AMD cards.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I said I'd report on my Newegg bundle return: I got a motherboard with my video card and rma'd the motherboard, with a message that I have no idea the Intel motherboard wouldn't fit my AMD chip, so I was returning it. They made me pay $7 for shipping and gave me my money back with no restocking fee. So it's definitely worth buying a newegg bundle.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't check the combo deal amount or work it out. They gave me back $130. So you're probably right.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Gabriel S. posted:

Dan A4. The EVGA XC3 just barely fits but I'm trying to find some real world feedback on the actual noise.

Or possibly the NZXT H1 if I can ever figure out how to get the case from blocking the Bluetooth signal.

I've got an evga xc3 ultra gaming, and it makes no noise I can hear, at all, ever, even in fps's. My case is a corsair carbide 400r with 2 intake fans and 1 out fan.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So I've had my evga 3080 xc3 gaming black since about 10 November and I just want to talk about it a bit. My other specs are Ryzen 3600 and 16gb ram, and 2 ssd's for games. I can't hear any noise from my card at all. it runs at 40-65 (40 degrees idle right now)

I don't really overclock it, I have MSI afterburner and have a saved OC setting of +139 core +150 memory, and apply it sometimes and sometimes not. I haven't tested higher overclocks, I don't really care too much. Anyway it is good, and I like it, and I can finally play FPS games on my 1440p@144hz monitor. BUT. I can't play anything at 144hz on high settings, really. Here are a couple of figures I get:

Hitman 2, max, 90 fps
COD: blops cold war: 110 or so with ray-tracing off and about 70 with it on (I can't remember, but this is about right), otherwise most settings are max but I think I may have turned one or two down.

On the other hand, sekiro couldn't get over 100FPS at 480p on my 980 card, so this is a massive improvement! I also just plain couldn't play FPS games at 1440p after upgrading my monitor from 1920x1200. But I just want to point out that you can't run everything on max at 1440p even with the 3080. It's a good card! I like it! But I also think ray-tracing is pretty much a scam i.e. not worth buying a card for. If you have a 10 or 20 series and you get decent FPS with it (over 60 in my opinion) then don't upgrade.

Also I just plain cannot notice any FPS increases over about 60 or 70, even with my 144hz monitor. I couldn't notice them before but I also never had a 144hz monitor before. I do try to get my FPS as high as possible for multiplayer FPS's, on the off-chance that an FPS increase I don't notice, will still make me play better. But I really can't tell if you ask me.

Also: g-sync on/off is absolutely not 'night and day'.

I'm writing this in the hopes that it makes some people stop panicking and trying to buy a card, and realise that what they have might be good enough already. But I can say for sure that my 980 was not cutting it with a 1440p screen.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for asking me to check my refresh rate, everyone. I don't think I'd set it on purpose, it was just auto-detected, but, it seems to be correct. I'm the guy who doesn't notice FPS's over 60 or 70. Not sure if there's a way of checking how high I can notice?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
https://frames-per-second.appspot.com

Thanks, that's a good site. I can notice up to 60 'easily' and after 60 it's very, very 'hmmmmmmmm.....'. There does seem to be a difference between 60 and 120 but it's pretty hard to tell honestly. I had to set the 60fps one to 10 to check to see which one for sure was the 60 one.

I'll check testufo now (edited)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
ok, at TestUFO I can DEFINITELY see the difference between 72 and 144. Thanks!!!!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
The artists are working hard coding the engine fixes!

Content: I started mining due to this thread, with my 3080. I left it on yesterday evening until now (21 hours or so) and made 13 dollars worth of ETH. Temp is at 71 and it's doing about 79 - 80 megahash per second. IDK if that's good or not. I have overclock settings in msi afterburner but I disable that for mining because I don't want to get brain damage like that one guy.

I mined bitcoins for 2 weeks in 2010, got a single bitcoin from mining for 2 weeks, thought 'ok that's interesting' and stopped, can't find my wallet file, and forgot it. I suppose I should have carried on mining for the rest of the year, I'd be able to have bought a house outright at this point.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Threadkiller Dog posted:

If I dont sell my used 1060 6gb does that make me a filthy silicone hoarder :(

e: I want a spare but it feels like I should donate it to starving gamers

I gave my 980 to a friend! Pass it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
If that's true then good for Taiwan. The USA pulls worse poo poo all the time.