Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Put in an order for a 780 which will be a nice upgrade over my ancient 580. How easy is it to overclock one of these? EVGA standard version was all I could get my hands on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Would a 100w laptop GPU be really low or really high? Where does it fall on the melt your genitals scale.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Does anyone know a good guide to overclocking a GPU? I am pretty happy with my 780 but want to eek out that extra performance. Happily it was able to run Witcher 2 at Max (except ubersampling) at 30 fps at 3860 x 2070. Wouldn't mine getting it up to 40 fps. I have EVGA Precision X downloaded but I am not sure exactly where to start. Overclocked my Ivy Bridge i5 before fine so have some experience.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Did mean 3840 x 2160 sorry. Also I was using downsampling. My monitor is only 1080p. Decided to stop using OGSSAA though and use SGSSAA instead. At 3840 x 2160 only half the games I tested worked properly. Probably a lack of Vram on the 780.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well did some googling and watched some youtube and got a 190 mhz overclock on the gpu clock and 280 mhz on the memory overclock for my 780. Might me able to push it further because it was totally stable and temps never went above 70 degrees.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well I didn't really record any FPS from before the overclock. I have been playing a wide variety of games all night and didn't have any problems but I understand what you mean. We will see if it holds. I decided to give up on OGSSAA because it wasn't giving enough benefit for the performance hit. Just gonna stick with SGSSAA. Games do really look insane when downsampled however. Check out the NeoGaf bullshot thread for some examples.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184701
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDfIxE8gQbY

EVGA GTX 780 standard edition.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I really want to do ray tracing but holding out for the next gen of cards since I didn't have the cash to upgrade earlier and it seems so late now. I'm hoping the 7nm cards are less expensive as well.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

Look for a HDMI/DisplayPort/Etc "deep sleep" feature/toggle in your monitors OSD, it is responsible for the monitor disconnecting when in sleep mode. Disable it and the monitor stops disconnecting when it is in sleep/off modes so your desktop and all its icons will stay in place.

You are my favorite poster ever. Thank you.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

24 GB of Vram just says to me I can install a billion more mods into a Bethesda game. Mod authors always think this gun needs 4000x4000 textures, ship it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I was really wanting to get a 3090 but I think I'm going to settle on a 3080. 3090 just seems like a bridge too far for me. A 3080 should still be a huge upgrade from my 1080(non ti).

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I feel like even if RDNA 2 has a chip faster than 3080 at a similar price I would go 3080 no questions just because of the software.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

But all I want is a Deus Ex clone.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Didn't want that card anyway.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah but it's a real question what form this box would take. Could there be different more powerful/less powerful boxes from different makers? Why would I buy a less powerful box Y when I could get the x box with more power instead.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If there is going to be no stock I guess I could have waited to take out my hard drive cage. 440mm will fit any card at least.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

480 watt GPU power draw and won't need heat in the winter.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I saw dips below 100 on the Doom video might as well just cancel the card now if it can't keep a locked 4k120.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I already got a window AC right next to my desk I'm all set.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Back when I had a 580 when it was new (I'm not going to bother looking up what year this was) there was a big ice storm and we lost power for like 3 days. When the power came back the heat was broken in the building for whatever reason. I ran folding@home to keep warm.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Sounds like I just need to wait for Nvidia to bottom out then I can get rich. That 3090 will be paid for in no time.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

All I want from games is hard thing's characters wear like armor and weapons to not bend when the model moves like they are made of cloth. It bugs me to no loving end when I see someone wearing something made of steel plate and it bends and folds when the character moves. Also please stop using character designs that constantly clip through itself in an ugly way I can sort of understand this in gameplay but in cutscenes where every movement is predecided you have no excuse. Just choose animations that don't cause their model to clip through itself.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Tell your bank you are going go spend 1500 dollars so they don't hold the purchase.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

LA Noire also aged terribly and had massive limitations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The solution to anti cheat not running right on linux is to be old and not care about mp games anymore.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I need that 4080 for modded Skyrim.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I really liked the story and characters of cp2077 but the rpg mechanics themselves are garbage if you ever find yourself designing a perk system with a bunch of +3% to hit as the perks you clearly need to start over. The loot and leveling system is trash. Looks really nice though if you want to see a pretty game.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

No matter how good a card AMD puts out I'm stuck with Nvidia due to my monitor. The Gsync suicide pact.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've never seen that setting tangibly improve anything. I've only ever seen it break random poo poo instead. Just leave it off.

Coming to say you fixed my long standing issue of why the gently caress are my internet videos so laggy when playing a game. Thanks.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's a good game but it's going to be completely unremarkable next to the actual PC sim racers already on the platform

Also has 200 dollar car DLC. That's a single car not a pack.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

PC games are far more expensive than console now. Console you can get bargain bin disc copies within weeks (new not used) while a PC version will be full price for years with maybe some small sales.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_for_You

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So related to this I was looking into getting a new PSU anyway when 4000 series comes out because mine will be 6+ years old at that point and falling behind on wattage. A higher max wattage doesn't actually raise your power bill unless something is using all that wattage right?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The oilers haven't existed for 20 years so I'm a fan of that.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah I've avoided buying a 3080 even now because gently caress it I've waited this long what's a bit longer.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

One question is, what performance and price point do you think the 4000 series will hit? If, for example you think nvidia will tack on +100 across the stack you’d expect 4070/4080 to be $600/$800 USD FE MSRP. With “typical” generational improvements a 3080 ti will probably be about the same performance as a 4070. So as the 12gig 3080s fall to or below FE MSRP, they may actually be a good buy even after Ada releases.

I don't care about any of this since I'm upgrading once in 6 years.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is the reason everyone talks about buying some 1000 dollar gpu just to play 25 year old games on it because the only people actually buying them is middle age people that just want to experience their youth again.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

K8.0 posted:

The reason is that this is an internet forum from 20 years ago, and shockingly enough most of the people here are old as gently caress.

I see it other places but everyone there is probably old too I guess.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

shrike82 posted:

lol how does that work - I looked up flight times for that and it’s close to 12 hours for a direct flight

Clearly you invite a friend over to by your co-pilot and take turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Isn't this entirely avoidable by doing a few minutes of shader gen at launch like some games such as Forza Horizon do?