Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
drat, was hoping to pick up a 1070 or 1080 once the new lineup came out. Guess I’m sticking with my 1060 for a while...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Change the thread title.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
So Cyberpunk2077 is coming April 2020. What’ll be out by then?

Edit: 7nm at least soon after that?

Lackmaster fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 10, 2019

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
I posted this in the monitor thread but I’m cross posting here cause this is a GPU question as much as it’s a monitor question

I’ve got a question about HDMI 2.1 and another one about (theoretical) Freesync support for the RTX 3XXX series of graphics cards. I also want to get a sanity check to make sure there aren’t any flaws in my reasoning here:

So I currently have a Dell S2417DG. It’s a 24” 1440p 165hz TN panel. I have a 1060 6GB that lets me run stuff like Apex Legends on high/ultra at ~45 FPS and if I crank stuff down to medium I can push ~90 FPS.

I’m strongly considering upgrading to a LG 27gl83a‑b. It’s a 27” 144hz IPS panel. I don’t care about going down from 165hz to 144, I like having a slightly bigger screen, and the IPS is attractive to me because of (what I assume will be) better color and viewing angles. The color banding on dark images is also really bad on the TN panel. I know I’m potentially opening myself up to IPS glow and reduced contrast, but I think the pros outweigh the cons for me. (Anyone made this jump or similar and have thoughts?)

I am also feeling pretty constrained by my 1060. I will very likely get a RTX 3080 soon after they come out, like late this year. I like playing AAA games with the settings turned up - I want Cyberpunk 2077 to look really good.

So, my questions are, basically, assuming I’m on the right track with all the above, what will it be like to have a 3080 with my new LG 27gl83a‑b? Am I right assuming that as long as I’m staying at 1440p 144hz, HDMI 2.1 is irrelevant to me and thus I won’t care that my new GPU will (probably) have it but my monitor won’t?

Probably my bigger concern is, will the RTX 3080 play nice with the freesync/gsync-lite on the LG?

I know that second question probably doesn’t have a definitely answer, but y’all are super knowledgeable and I’m wondering if people have guesses or thoughts?

I’m hoping the answer is it’ll be fine, and then I can be happy with rock solid 1440p while OLED or micro-LED sorts itself out. If that took 4 years, that’d be fine by me.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Cannot wait to go from a 1060 to a 3080

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
It looks...melted?

e: The EVGA FTW3 model

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
I’m definitely waiting for reviews. Too much power and heat for there to not be at least 1 card model that doesn’t get adequate cooling. I’m willing to wait to see which one it is.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
what's the rule again? v-sync in-game setting vs. nvidia control center?

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
When will DDR5 RAM and PCIE 5.0 motherboards be reasonable to buy?

I have the cash and desire to get a 3080 soon, but my cpu is an i5-8400 with DDR4 ram and I know it’ll be a bottleneck on 1440p. I’m concerned about upgrading my motherboard on the cusp of a big longterm change.

Lackmaster fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 14, 2022

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

CoolCab posted:

you're a little misinformed bud - PCIe gen 4 is super common (gen 5 is the new hotness) and has been available since b570 and I think 10th gen. high end ddr4 can be nearly as fast as high end DDR5 in many gaming scenarios due to tighter timings, MUCH better price/performance.

Whoops, that was a typo. I’ve been hearing about PCIE 5.0 SSDs also.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

Do you have a use-case for needing an SSD that fast? Because just plain PCIE 3.0 SSDs are fast enough for gaming, tbh. Most of the bottleneck when loading games is CPU.

Nope. I’m just falling for the eternal desire for something better. Thanks everyone!

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

DDR5 is in-general already always faster than DDR4, and is already comparable in price-performance at the mid-to-high end.

Hm this seems to conflict with what the other dude said:

CoolCab posted:

high end ddr4 can be nearly as fast as high end DDR5 in many gaming scenarios due to tighter timings, MUCH better price/performance.

I assume the truth is in the middle, as is always the correct choice on all matters :smug:

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Just missed this deal.

:captainpop:

Hoping something like that will be viable in the next couple of months

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Is that Lenovo deal still working for people? I don’t see where to add to cart. Makes me optimistic that similar deals will be coming in the next couple of months.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Haha I added it to cart, added the first code successfully, entered the second code and it went out of stock.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Uh oh. Wonder if this’ll start to put cracks in their reputation for good customer service

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
I can’t think of a single AAA game on the horizon that I’m interested in.

And yet I still want a 3080….

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Intel carving out a little niche with good encode/decode seems like a saving grace to their otherwise abysmal start. I’m glad of it.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Anyone have experience with the Asus/Noctua 3070 or 3080? I really value low noise and low temps and it doesn’t seem like anything else gets close on both counts. I’d be happy to pay a premium for it and even give up the VRAM for the 3080 version.

Or anyone know if there are plans for a 4000 series Noctua card?

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Seriously what is the 5090 or 6090 going to be like at this rate? Is a separate enclosure/PSU actually something that might happen? Is SLI gonna come back? Or some kinda chiplet thing that’ll let them reduce the overall size? Seems like we are seriously approaching the limit of what can reasonably fit in a computer case

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

infraboy posted:

We'll all be on Apple or Apple-like devices someday, which sounds kind of terrible in some ways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFQ3LkVF5sM

Hmm this seems unfortunately likely

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Does $650 for a used EVGA 3080 12 GB FTW3 seem like a good deal? I’ve been eying an eBay listing

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Eh, you can commonly get it for around $700 new. That's not enough of a discount in my opinion. A quick look at sold listings on ebay tells me that people are managing to get 3080 Tis for less than $600. I'd personally shoot for around $500 or less.

edit: 3080 12GB with Spider-Man game code for $700 after promo code and $30 mail-in rebate: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-rtx-3080-ventus-3x-plus-12g-oc-lhr/p/N82E16814137712

Saving $50 to get a used card in unknown condition from some rando on ebay seems like a pretty bad deal.

Are you seeing evga 3080 cards for 700 new? I’m been almost exclusively looking at evga cards with the bet being that EVGA will at least be around long enough to honor what’s left of the 3 year transferable warranty. It was my understanding that the evga 3080 ftw3 was one of the better coolers too.

I’ve heard the asus TUF and Strix are good too. Maybe I’m putting too much stock in evga

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
The game engine of Theseus

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

So what’s the poop on the atx 3.0 thing? If I buy an EVGA 1300g2 on b-stock, am I gonna regret it not having atx 3.0? There will have to be cheater plugs for quite a while right?

I wanted to bump this. I'm also wondering if I made a mistake buying a 1000W PSU recently that I was hoping to use for years and years but it doesn't have ATX 3.0

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Anyone have experience buying things on Mercari? I’m seeing GPUs listed for 100 or more less than on eBay. I assume the buyer protection on Mercari is much worse than eBay?

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've never used Mercari before, but

Those sub-$500 3080s seem awfully tempting.

Tell me about it….

I mean I assume they are miner cards being offloaded but it seems like maybe since it’s a less well known platform there might be some deals to be had?

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Wouldn’t be a XX90 release without some literal fireworks

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
The burning is coming from inside the thread

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Cygni posted:

Just so we actually know what happened in this mess, PCI-SIG (where AMD, Intel, Nvidia, IBM, ARM etc all have board seats, and basically every electronics company is a member) developed the connector for a spec sponsored by Nvidia and Dell EMC (for servers). PCI-SIG approved and rolled that connector into the PCI Express 5.0 requirement docs, mandating its use in lots of circumstances. Intel then adopted it as part of their ATX 3.0 PSU specs, because its use was already mandated by PCI-SIG. It is going to be the only plug in use in the future, unless those docs change.

The PCI-SIG design (and Intel's later 3.0 spec) was meant to solve a bunch of various problems from around the industry, from transient spikes to, ironically, lovely adapter cables catching fire in peoples mining rigs. It is way more stringent than the prior plug standards.

It was also designed for the problem of "we need smaller plugs/cables in the datacenter, where the (single 300w) connectors are on the end of the board and block air flow. Because we need to forcefeed PCIe cards more air from front/mid mounted fans to raise the max TDP and power density for accelerator cards because moores law is dead and more silicon and more power are the only way to overcome that and keep quarterly profits expanding."

Regardless of all the neat things the connector/standard(s) do, the primary problem still seems to be that people aren't getting the cable fully plugged in even if they think they did, and multiple people have complained that the plug itself requires much more force than people are used to. Johnny Guru, who used to run the only good PSU review website and has been Corsair's director of PSU engineering for a long time, wrote two articles about the whole thing before Corsair made him take them down lol. As far as I've seen, they are the most comprehensive/knowledgeable discussion on the melted connectors:

https://web.archive.org/web/20221112110941/http://jongerow.com/12VHPWR/
https://web.archive.org/web/20221105223837/http://www.jongerow.com/12vhpwr/adapter_testing/index.html

All the benefits and technical specs aside, if a connector is so often hosed up by users, its kinda hard to call it a good design. If the unwashed gorilla brain masses can handle dogshit connectors like the 24pin and USB3.2 but cant handle the 16pin, weve got a problem.

Very interesting

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
At least from my anecdotal perspective it seems like 3080’s are about $75 more expensive on eBay now then they were about a month or two ago. Not exactly sure why. Wish I’d jumped on some of the ~$600 3080 12GB I saw a bit ago cause now it seems like the 10gb versions are that price.

Maybe it was some confusion and shuffle before the 4080 and 4090 launch.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Lackmaster posted:

Does $650 for a used EVGA 3080 12 GB FTW3 seem like a good deal? I’ve been eying an eBay listing

Like this, should have pulled the trigger on this in retrospect in early October.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Nvidia and AMD have heard our complaints about the lack of low-end GPUs and the weak midrange market, and have decided to address this by also eliminating the enthusiast and high end market, leaving only the ultrapremium segment.

great :(

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Wondering how much my i5-8400 is going to bottleneck my incoming 3080 at 1440p 144hz? I know the answer is at least “some”

I currently have a 1060 and get maybe 40 fps in AAA games with medium-ish settings. 16 gigs of 3200 ram.

I figure the 3080 is gonna be a big upgrade regardless of CPU, but curious if anyone else has made a similar move and had thoughts.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
I’ve got a 3080 sitting on my desk ready to be swapped for a 1060. A couple of questions:

What’s the best way to deal with drivers? DDU and boot in safe mode? Just plug it in and see what happens?

Am I right thinking that I can get away with two separate PCIE cables, one being doubled-up, for the 3 slots in the 3080? Or do I need 3 separate cables?

Any recommendations on how to stress test so I can be confident it’s working properly? Furmark?

Thanks thread! I’ve been eyeing a 3080 since launch and I’m pumped.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Anyone have a Thread Approved link for good instructions on undervolting a card? 3080 if it matters.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
huh I feel like a total noob. Been having terrible microstuttering in Apex Legends for weeks and tried everything I could think of - drivers, getting ride of razer synapse, all sorts of tweaking settings. I was starting to think that my CPU was the culprit, bottlenecking my 3080 (which I'm sure it does at least a bit).

Turned out the issue was running in borderless window instead of fullscreen. In fullscreen it's vastly improved. What's the deal with that?

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I don't understand why in 2023 this is still an issue.

From what I'm reading it seems like borderless window is holding back computer resources vs fullscreen which supposedly gives full power. Is that really true? If so it would explain my experience I suppose.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

It shouldn't be true in Win10 and 11, afaik.

Huh I’m on windows 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
So what’ve we learned from all these avocados?