Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

~Hello Darkness, my old friend~

One week of AMD. Lol. Maybe I've just had the worst luck with drivers for the last ... 15 solid years, but my opinion still stands. I can count how many times a driver has outright failed on me with a nvidia card ive owned on zero 1 hand.

Not to fanboy, but the first couple google results for that 4101 error code are all talking about Nvidia cards, so just a roll of the dice really when poo poo like this happens.

Also during that search found this that should help eek out a bit more with the card: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2665946

Seems that if you extend the time Windows gives the display driver to do its thing, say if for an older card near the end of its life, Windows won't kill/restart the driver prematurely. Not saying it will work, but worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

The MSI Gaming X 1080 I backordered yesterday on Newegg is shipping tonight too.

Same card I ordered Sunday, should have it Friday.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Bleh Maestro posted:

Wow NewEgg must have gotten some stock of the MSI Gaming 1070's. They're still in stock!!

So tempted to buy...but need to control myself. Do I REALLY need to go from a 970 to a 1070 RIGHT NOW? (god I wan to :smith:)

I know the temptation currently have a 970 as well. Though , I gave In and went for the 1080. :devil:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

repiv posted:

Samsung just announced that they have 16Gbps GDDR6 in the pipe:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/929020970945404928

If it's ready in time for consumer Volta then GV104 could hit 512GB/sec on 256-bit and GV102 could hit 768GB/sec on 384-bit :eyepop:

Nice, very nice.:flashfap:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Palladium posted:

It's almost like "poo poo, we didn't have everything we made in the glass cabinet collection."

Or some unusual preparation for an IP infringement lawsuit.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

redeyes posted:

whats a 'home ML server'? seems serious

I read home ML server and Bitcoin on the same page and I immediatley think money laundering.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Rastor posted:

Microcenter's new policy: they are raising GPU prices to match what everyone else is charging, however, if you are buying parts for a complete build (i.e. CPU, mobo, RAM, and PSU) they will apply a discount at checkout to bring it down to MSRP.

http://www.pcgamer.com/micro-center-will-sell-you-a-graphics-card-at-msrp-if-its-for-gaming-instead-of-mining/

Maybe I looked over it, what is stopping someone from returning everything but the GPU.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Welcome to the Church of Satan

Hail Satan.

:widowsnypa:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

What the hell is the "other" in this case?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

couldcareless posted:

Nvidia sent out emails about FEs coming back in stock tomorrow and now I'm stuck debating if I want to drop MSRP on a 1080 with a new line right around the corner.
Someone tell me this is a good or bad idea.

Do you want a tried and true tech now for a somewhat inflated price or the shiny new thing in a few months for a guaranteed inflated price?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

isndl posted:

It's like a long and drawn out Russian roulette where the more you mine, the more global warming you cause to possibly knock someone out of operation.

So in other words be sure to build your mining center not in a flood plain, preferably in a high elevation.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Cygni posted:

i have an exclusive leak

please cite this post wccftech its real

"Hmm the 2 is red, that must mean Nvidia collaborated with AMD."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Okay, good. My big fear was that it could turn into some kind of DRM scheme that people accept because of the graphical benefits provided.

Don't give them ideas.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

1gnoirents posted:

wtf are they really wow

Twitch is owned by Amazon, so technically Zero VGS is right.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Cygni posted:

nicehash says i can make $3.16 a day which means i can pay off this 3090 (plus tax and shipping) in only... 625 days!

Just in time for the next generation!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

shrike82 posted:

lol min requirements for the Medal of Honor VR game

I look forward to the first terabyte game in a few years.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Damnit, had it in my cart but went to checkout and was told it was no longer available from the seller I selected and offered me a scalper price.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

SourKraut posted:

So is the 3070 Ti a sure thing?

If it is, that is what I am going to wait on.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

DrDork posted:

It just showed up in AIDA64 data, so that's a pretty decent indication. Probably won't show up until sometime in Jan, though, given that NVidia has another "RTX Event" on 12 Jan.

I am fine with waiting, currently have a 2070 super so I am good for now.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Heck yeah brother

Please tell me that was in a warehouse/shop type environment and not just from normal household use.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

So have an Amazon gift card from Christmas and was looking at getting a card support. Anyone have any recommendations?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

ufarn posted:

Was updating my X470 motherboard for the first time in millennia and also discovered that AMD's reluctance to use SAM/reBAR might have to do with a lack of full-rate _pdep_u32 instruction support. Performance for this improved 250-fold between Zen 2 and 3.

And who has supported this for a while? Intel.

How doable is SAM/reBAR without full-rate _pdep_u32 for all you nerds itt? Is enabling it pre-Zen 3 the way to go, or should I just leave it off so some terrible code in a videogame won't destroy my FPS?

Hmm, kinda makes me want to think about upgrading sooner than I had originally anticipated if the performance improvement is that significant.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

If they're gonna bundle us useless garbage then they should definitely liven it up a little. Four rice makers shaped like penguins; a case of condoms; giant Olmec head; 96 litres of diet Schweppes.... anything but a lovely copy of kit we already have

Gotta clean out old stock somehow.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

my kinda ape posted:

Just sold my GTX 1070 for $490 minus shipping within two hours of putting it up on eBay :laffo:

Hmm thinking about selling my 2070 super instead of giving it to my brother now.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Black Sunshine posted:

So I'm only a few hours away from the current EVGA notify queue for a 3080 FTW Ultra. I'm also already in the Step-Up program because I got desperate for an upgrade towards the end of October and got a 2070S for the express purpose of the program.

At this point I'm 99% sure I want to just scalp this card like a scumbag because it'll cover most of the card I'll eventually get from the Step-Up. I understand judgement but the mostly free GPU helps free up money for a down payment on a house hopefully next year. Besides, it's a one time thing, I'm not using bots to suck up a bunch of inventory or anything.

Anyway, what's the "best" or safest way to sell an expensive item like this? Craigslist seems shady so I'm guessing eBay? I'd throw it in SA-Mart but that's always been a place to get good deals from a cool communit., I'd feel weird about being cutthroat to anyone on this site.

I would suggest Mercari, but think you are limited to putting it up for $500 on your first item sold.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Just sold my used 2070 super in 30 minutes for nearly twice what I paid for it in August of last year.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Twerkdad posted:

Look out, here comes Mr RGB

Does that just create a vacuum in the room when everything fires up under load?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Can I return the raccoon?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Already have a backyard possum and don't think they would get along.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

MH Knights posted:

Ah, so that is what Gwyneth Paltrow has been up to.

Keyboard Goop Limited Edition Candles.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

taqueso posted:

estate sale 3090s are going to be great, can't wait to get a video card in 30-40 years

"This was my grandfathers 3090ti, he owned so many newbs in his day with it."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Smythe posted:

nice humblebrag you piece of poo poo. lock your doors.

Smythe you're drunk, go to bed

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao the “Intel Inside” sticker’s crooked good job dell

I mean Dell is not really known for their quality these days.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

fletcher posted:

gently caress why'd you have to go and point this out. Now I can't unsee it. Time to throw away my 3080 FE

I will gladly take it off your hands so it can be recycled in the proper manner.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Didn't see it mentioned in the thread, and sorry if I missed it, but would it be worthwhile to upgrade from a 3070 to a 3070 Ti? I mean I noticed it doesn't have a change in the amount of memory, but was curious if the change from GDDR6 to GDDR6X was enough to make an impact?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Heard of paper launches but this is ridiculous.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Smythe posted:

building a huge fort in my living room out of graphics cards, plugging them in to mine *coin and cooking myself alive while reading cyoa books inside the fort and drinking yoohoo like a boss

Can I have your stuff when you die?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

the checkmark is a nice touch

I see that one Microsoft error message dev found new work.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

So with the steam deck coming out, is that going to make gpu chips even more scarce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Now I have to have a time card to game now?