Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Comedy option: Take off the shroud and top fans and strap a pair of 120mm Noctuas to the heatsink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My solution is cheaper and dumber :colbert:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

Who will be brave enough to make the first ductless mini-split PC cooling solution?

Perfect use case scenario for a submerged mineral oil tank and long-rear end riser cable

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I gave up trying to buy a 3070 and bought a used 2080 for $450 that had a busted fan. Seller even included a Kraken G12 mount and an 240MM AIO.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If you want to take a picture of your case, it would make it easier to find the model. That would make it easier to figure out where to put fans.

Also poo poo, the good Doctor is right. Three fan headers is pretty bad.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The fan headers on your motherboard can handle up to 1 amp. As long as you stay under that total you could potentially put as many fans as you want on splitters - the amperage of each fan will be listed on the back of the fan hub.

The front, bottom fan mount isn't going to help much. It's so blocked off by the drive cage that it's going to provide minimal airflow.

A better choice might be be to put an intake at the bottom of the case pointed up, using the mount in front of the PSU. How useful that is depends on how much cable clutter there is in that exact spot. If you do this you might want to add some height to the case legs using those foam furniture slider things. The major advantage is that it's going to be blowing cool air straight at the GPU which will help a lot.

Alternatively, you could try a negative pressure setup by putting exhaust fans in the top of the case pointed straight up, and replacing the PCI slot covers with more ventilated ones (they're cheap, thankfully). With sufficient negative pressure, the GPU fans will start pulling air in from the unused PCI-slots. This is going to pull in more dust, though.

grack fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 23, 2022

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

The more I think about it the more I think I should make this a weekend project. Like, if I am going to do this I may as well get one or two more new fans or try that setup you mention. If I am going to do this I may as well do it right, you know?

My suggestion to start would be to put one 120mm intake on the bottom case mount. You need to make sure you clear as much cable clutter as possible so there are no obstructions. This will give you the best "bang for your buck" upgrade as it will provide cool air straight to the GPU.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You may as well try it since you already have the fan installed.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

I could get an external caddy for it, i just didn't really want yet another peripheral hanging off it. I only use it for ripping blu rays, so it's not a huge deal I guess, just obnoxious.

You couldn't just stick the drive in a drawer when you're not using it?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

The Torrent is obviously very tempting if I did decide to get an external 5.25 cage, problem is I also already committed to an enormous 220mm power supply (thanks to a very good deal), and the roof of the torrent supports a max of 230 - doesn't seem like a fun time managing cables, if it even *actually* supports one that long. Meshify 2 could still be in the cards though, but it's still case + $50-60 into the external drive mount, when I could get a Define 7 with a built in mount, even if its design is a bit out of modern style at this point.

The Define 7 has mediocre-at-best thermal performance and you're going to put a 3080 in to it. It's really not a good combination.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It's not that Fractal *can't* make a good airflow focused case (ex. Torrent series), it's that the Define series has always been more about low-noise than anything else.

There are still some cases that support optical drives and have at least partially mesh front cases, but they're rare. Phanteks has a couple in their Enthoo lineup, as well as Cooler Master.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pfft. If you aren't already running a separate PSU for every PCI-E connector I don't know what to tell you.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

The oilers haven't existed for 20 years so I'm a fan of that.

That's the logo of the Edmonton Oilers, the NHL team.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Racing Stripe posted:

I built a new PC but I kept my own case. I have a Radeon RX 6700 XT and a sound card, and with the placement of the fastest PCIe slot (where I installed the GPU) there was only one option where I could install the sound card, which was very close under the GPU. There is maybe 1/4 inch between them, which gives the GPU fans not a lot of clearance for intake. Is that a potential problem?

If you have room in your case you could get a PCI-E 1x riser cable and move the sound card down a few slots.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

What's up fellow "I strapped a pair of 120mm Noctua fans to my 2080's heatsink so it would run quieter" Goon

Instead of trying to run the fans off of the card, I went the much more expedient route and plugged them in to an unused motherboard header. I then used Fan Control to set a custom curve based on GPU temps.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Somebody close to where I live is trying to sell a 263 GPU farm in one shot. GOOD loving LUCK WITH THAT

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/for/d/west-vancouver-south-crypto-mining-farm/7496358775.html

grack
Jan 10, 2012

This is the best quote from the listing:

quote:

Now is definitely the time to get into mining!

Precious metals, maybe.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Most of those names are clearly from C-list Batman villains

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

there were plenty of people baking their AMD GPUs in those days too, like Radeon 7850 and stuff were of the era. Even today you'll have some people who get space invaders after enough years, whether from failing memory module itself or solder (could be either). It still happens.

God, I had a 7850 that I had to bake on two separate occasions. Worked fine for like, a year after each episode.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work a third time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Virtually every cable I've seen appears to have the melted terminals pushed back through the housing, which has always pointed to a problem on insertion. If it's not happening with FEs, it's probably because Nvidia used a better housing that holds the terminals in place more strongly, or perhaps there are tighter tolerances so it's impossible to shove it in at enough of an angle that the pin starts driving the terminal backwards.

Nvidia supplied all of the connectors to AIBs

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Does it come with a case large enough to actually fit the card? That should be a bundle you could buy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ryangs posted:

RTX 3000 series fan noise question:

I just got a 3060 Ti. It's a wonderful improvement over my GTX 970. But it's way louder.

I got this Asus Dual card, which is a bit shorter than most and has two fans instead of three.

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/graphics-cards/dual/dual-rtx3060ti-o8gd6x-white/

I'm wondering if I would be better off with a larger/longer card with 3 fans, like this MSI Ventus which I could grab at my local Best Buy:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-nv...p?skuId=6480307

It seems like the larger cards would have more heatsink surface area, allowing the fans to run slower. Is that generally true, or not?

Remove shroud, zip-tie on a pair of 120mm fans.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

How the heck am I supposed to get this thing off?

A crowbar and a fifth of rye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

SourKraut posted:

So did Billet even originally ask for their prototype to be reviewed? So far, it seemed like they were simply interested in getting it some initial media coverage, and thought LTT would be a good option. And then Linus turned it into a review. And looking at a few other things now so far, it seems like that’s what often happens. But why does everything need to be a review?

Why couldn’t they just do some initial testing/etc., whatever, and then even say that these are their early results from a prototype, here’s the deficiencies/etc., and that they’ll do a formal review in the future if it goes to production?

1. Billet offered to send the prototype attached to a card for LTT to play with, as well as custom machined fittings.
2. LTT accepted
3. Billet sent the prototype water block and fittings attached to a 3090 TI, the card which for it was intended.
4. LTT took the prototype off the 3090 TI, put it on a 4090 (which it doesn't fit), had a pair of employees that had little experience doing water-cooling do the build, and then slagged it publicly.
5. Billet asked for the prototype and card back. LTT said they would ship it back
6. LTT auctioned the prototype off without telling Billet
7. LTT told Billet afterwards that they had auctioned off the prototype
8. Billet asked for compensation. LTT stopped communicating
9. GN posts video
10. Two hours after video is posted, Linus emails Billet offering compensation
11. Linus posts a long whiny rant about it
12. LTT has yet to actually pay compensation
13. LTT still has Billet's 3090 TI that they also haven't sent back either.

Full timeline of events so far, from Billet. This has taken ~9 weeks from when LTT originally got the card and water block.