Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Bardeh posted:

If the 1070 is better than 980ti performance for $380, just how low are the 2nd hand 980ti's gonna get?

I'm more intrigued by how low the Titan Xs will go, now that they're being outperformed by a $380 value card :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

MSI 1070s are in stock! :pcgaming:

Can someone tell me how these coolers compare to the other models/brands people have got their hands on so far? Should I pull the trigger, or wait for a Gigabyte or something else?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Judging by the benchmarks it seems they sacrificed raw horsepower and ROPs for better tesselation and Maxwell-case improvements. Cost reduction on the die was definitely a goal, but sucks for the people who want anything better than a 390 or 970 without shelling out 400 or more.

Actually, you can do that already, just buy a 980ti fire sale for $310 :tipshat:

There's already a green monopoly at the price point most of us care about (i.e. $toomuch). It's easy to forget that their target market is people on 660tis and 7850s looking for upgrades if you're reading this thread.

I have a 6850 and I'm looking for an upgrade, and the 480 still isn't an appealing offer... in a vaccum it's a great card for the cost, but that puts me right back into the "good enough for now but gonna suck for years until you can afford an upgrade" spot that the 6850 did. With the exception of people who are 100% budget locked for some reason, I don't see why anyone wouldn't just save up another $200 or so and get a 1070, or wait to see how the 1060 fills the $300ish slot.

Social Media posted:

Newegg just put up new stock of the aforementioned GTX 1070. I'm sure it will go quickly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125871

Late to the party, but I got one of that batch! I bought it based on a recommendation in the PC build thread, someone said the cooler was great... but I see a lot of folks itt recommending the EVGA and MSI options. Is that just out of general brand loyalty, or did I make a mistake?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'd wait for a 1070 when stock actually happens, so first week August at the earliest. Odds are slim that the 1060 will be worth its salt if it isn't just a further cut down GP104.

Poorly phrased, I was speaking generally on behalf of that buyer bracket. I mention in the second half of that post that I actually got a 1070 yesterday. :toot:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I hope you got it at 400 bucks or lower else you got had :clint:

$430. If you scroll up you'll see I linked it in-post, was asking for opinions on the model. I know I could have waited, but I've been dealing with a trashbag card for so long that at this point I'm willing to pay the $30 premium to enjoy it now rather than later. My 6850 sounds like it's literally going to explode when idling in town in WoW on low/medium graphics.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

wicka posted:

i just pulled the trigger on the same card but i am only paying the $30 premium because i am an adult child

Haha, I too am a manbaby :hfive:

Barry posted:

I have a Gigaybyte G1 1070 and like it just fine so far. I'm not exactly an enthusiast but it has given me zero issues, runs cool/silent (even with a +100 overclock) and is really drat fast.

Thanks! I can't wait to get that package in the mail

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

FaustianQ posted:

Actually, speaking of future revisions, AMD is tacitly acknowledging that Polaris is a bit hosed up, likely do to process and fab (as if it's a design issue then whoa boy is that a lot of money to dump).

So the new scheme is down to R for ≤1080p60, RX for ≥1080p60. First number is generation, second is performance tier (4, 5, and 6 are ~1080p, 7 and 8 are 1440p, and 9 is 4K), 0 represents first revision, a 5 represents second revision. So an RX485 is the guaranteed 1080p60, entry 1440p, second revision, while an R 460 is entry 1080p, first revision.

So expect the RX485/RX475 to drop 2017 with less power consumption and higher clocks. This also means no rebranding, 500 series is Navi period.

I've been reading this thread for about a day and I can already identify Faustianposts without looking, by these links that are formatted to contain an entire awful paragraph.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Why are the series 10s bad at bitcoins?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

skylined! posted:

Am I alone in buying a 1070 as my first nvidia GPU ever, replacing my XFX 290, and moving far away from AMD? Am I the only one succumbing to the hype? Am I wrong?

You are not alone. :glomp:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

For those trying to be frugal about the 1070, nowinstock finally added notifications for the $399 gigabyte windforce @ newegg

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

Just FYI nowinstock will add almost anything you want, just email them.

Oh poo poo, that's good to know. Thanks!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I bought my friend a gigabyte 1070 (the two fan windforce model) for a build I'm helping him with, and he's twiddled his thumbs for two months on the build. We're just now getting down to brass tacks, and suddenly that GPU is not for sale anywhere reputable. The listing is totally gone off NewEgg, and only secondhand sellers have it on amazon. NCIX has it price gouged for $540.

Should I be worried? Is there a reason this card got pulled in such a short time, was something wrong with it?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Haquer posted:

People bought them, I would assume?

My bad, I should have been more clear: It's not a stock issue, the SKU has been pulled. If it were just out of stock, amazon and newegg would say so.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

considering you cant buy it, you dont need to worry about what happens if you buy it :)

knowing amazon it probably got its listing merged for being too similar to another

its still on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HHCA1IO/?tag=pcpapi-20

The concern was that I ALREADY bought it.

EoRaptor posted:

They list a much higher price than it should sell at.

I doubt there is anything particularly wrong with the card, and it has a 3 year warranty. I'm betting gigabyte cut it to close to the margin and simply wasn't making enough money on the sku compared to the pricing competitors where charging. They probably just dropped the SKU as they already had upmarket SKU's to meet demand more profitably.

This makes total sense, I don't know why I panicked instead of considering that. Thank you!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

biznatchio posted:

When I built that part of EVEMon, it was modeled after a standalone tool called ShiftWindow. If you want that sort of setup in other games, check out ShiftWindow.

Casually references having built one of the most useful things to happen to hundreds of thousands of EVE players... :swoon:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Uhhhh gently caress, I was planning to sell my 1070 build (using a laptop now) and I just saw the announcement. How much is this going to pummel secondhand Pascal values?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

All the 1440p monitors I have seen use dual link DVI

drat, I was hoping to pick up a 1440p monitor to match my new Thinkpad's resolution, but it only has HDMI out. Why are all 1440p screens DVI?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ah cool, thanks! This laptop has an MX150 and I am beyond broke, so going above 60hz is not a thing I get to worry about in the next few years. Most likely I'll be running games at 1080p and low/med detail to even get 60fps, and just using the 1440p for work and browsing.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

change my name posted:

Anecdotal but I have now received two EVGA 970's from goons to distribute to friends and they're still rock solid after however many years it's been

Were these SA Mart things? I have a GTX 780 and I don't think it's going to last until the market returns to MSRP :ohdear:

E: Maybe it will make it to the release of the new 2060 next year (assuming those are at all possible to get at the advertised price, or any price).

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 7, 2021

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Is there any point in loving with the new EVGA queue implementation if the only thing I've purchased of theirs is a keyboard and I don't post on their forums (and won't, because I already post too much here)?

It seems heavily weighted towards "loyal customers," which is something I would like to be in the future (since they seem to be the only manufacturer even half-heartedly attempting to work out some sort of fair MSRP system instead of just dumping them to scalpers first come first serve or doing the scalping themselves) if they will let me buy a drat card, but there was no reason for that kind of brand loyalty in the past.

I normally wouldn't touch this market at all, but I'm unsure of how much longer the GTX 780 I have will last, and it's not like I'll be able to walk into a store and buy a replacement as needed if it does kick it. :ohdear:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

bobfather posted:

LMAO Best Buy is doing a token drop to avoid bad PR for requiring Total Tech yesterday.

I didn't see anything about this when I looked, any idea when?

Zarin posted:

Hmm, how do I get into the new queue?

I was in the old queue, and I got some emails about having to select which cards I wanted to be in queue for or they would auto-select for me, and I never did anything with it. :ohdear:

Edit: Looks like I still have active notifies in the old queue. Though I'm probably de-prioritized as all hell. Can I set up new notifications under Queue 3.0 rules? Or is it a hard limit of 2 notifies per account, maximum?

No clue tbh, and judging by the silence it sounds like no one here has tried it either. My partner bought a keyboard from them so I'm going to use that to sign up for EVGA Elite tonight (we'll still be de-prioritized as hell also, but at least it's something) and see how it goes

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

buffalo all day posted:

What model are you trying to get and where are you?

I'm in the US (FL though, so no Microcenter) and concerned with bang for buck, so if the market wasn't turbofucked I'd be looking for a 3060 Ti. I have no idea if that's still my best bet, but it's where I'd start.

buffalo all day posted:

Unless you’re ready to wait months/years there are better ways to get EVGA cards.

I can't afford (and wouldn't be willing even if I could) to pay scalped prices (and I'm including major retailers taking advantage of the stock situation in that, not just eBay resellers). I also can't afford to buy a mediocre premade or a bundle of poo poo some vendor wants off their shelves that I don't need or want just to have access to a card. Which, let's be real, is just scalping in a nice package.

No shade to anyone who has been forced to go those routes or was just willing to, but my current card isn't dead yet and my wallet can't justify that level of drastic measure until it is.

Almost every GPU victory I've seen people post has been one of those three paths or a goon hookup. So since I can afford to wait months (probably not years, lol) I thought I'd give the EVGA queue a go. Are there other options I'm missing?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Rinkles posted:

RT's too much at 1440p for the 60ti, even at more modest settings (I wasn't expecting miracles). Especially since the DLSS does it no favors. I thought the DLSS implementation just sucked in this game, but with RT off it looks mostly fine.

The lighting is noticeably better with RT, though, just not worth halving my frame rate.

Can you expand on this? A 3060ti can't do ray tracing at 1440p without dropping half its fps? Is this the case of one poorly optimized game or a universal truth?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

the new GPUs will instantly be impossible to get again for a few months just by virtue of them being new, and from the sound of things, very good. At the very least, it's not going to be a phoned-in generation that people will want to skip

I haven't read anything about the 40 series, what does "very good" mean? Like, substantial performance improvement over the thirty series, new features, both?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

CoolCab posted:

sweet that will give us an idea of the drivers. hey speaking of it's been like a decade since i dealt with them, how are intel's iGPU graphics drivers these days?

Pretty legit, until I was gifted my current desktop I played games on my 6th gen X1 carbon for a long time. The only one that ever gave me any stability issues (albeit pretty unplayable ones in that one case) was Elite Dangerous. Which is a game that expressly requires a dGPU and is, you know, made by Frontier. So I'm not sure we can lay that at Intel's feet.

Obviously the framerates weren't great, but arc is going to help that substantially if their predictions are even half true.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

They are obviously the worst of the 3 and have issues especially with newer games. I wouldn’t call them legit at all they are passable I guess.

What kind of issues in what games? This definitely used to be true, but I thought was kind of accepted that it has gotten better in recent years. Ofc they're not on Nvidia/AMD's level, but in my anecdotal experience it's a better situation than "passable I guess" unless you're trying to play stuff that obviously isn't meant for any iGPU. I feel like you need to justify this strong a statement with more than just "obviously." But maybe I just got extremely lucky, idk.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 17, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1494366064360239108

oh you are just a filthy casual Enthusiast paying $2k for a GPU? get out of my way, i am an ULTRA ENTHUSIAST

:shepicide:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Cabbages and Kings posted:

take this with a grain of salt but my connection to cards at Nvidia discouraged me from chasing after a 40xx at release, based on the fact that I have a 3090 now and the 40xx series will likely be supplanted by a Ti or whatever a few months down the road.

Being me, I will probably be dumb and get a 40xx the second they are available and then also do the same thing with a Ti. :allears:

Iiiiinteresting, thank you for the data point.

I look forward to taking the previous card(s) off your hands as you chase that incremental dragon.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Speaking of EVGA, is there any chance we'll see them put out new SKUs between now and the 40xx series, or is what we see what we get?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Doomtrain posted:

Definitely the 3090ti.
Supposedly theres still a 3070ti 16gb still coming out expressly to compete with Intel GPUs. Also maybe a 3060 ti variant on a cut down GA103.

The latter two both sound interesting, fingers crossed

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

My partner and I also managed to snag 3070 Ti FEs at Best Buy yesterday, for their actual MSRP. Supposedly 31 locations across the US got simultaneous quiet stock drops of two dozen or more '70 Tis, along with some other locations earlier in the week. I'm hoping this is a sign of Nvidia's stock situation improving and crossing my fingers that we might see the same for the 60 Ti in the future (although admittedly if I was them, I'd keep doing it with the more expensive 70 Ti for as long as people kept snapping them up). If that miraculously happens, I'll definitely be grabbing two of those instead and selling these for cost+shipping to any goons who need them. The 70 Ti was well out of our budget, but with things being what they are, we decided there was no guarantee we'd see any deal even close to this anytime soon.

I'm definitely not plugging this thing into my old, out-of-warranty bronze PSU though. So I'll have to wait until Thursday to start posting trip reports, after my EVGA PSU arrives. You know, the one that I bought specifically because I thought I'd only be able to get a card from their Queue 3.0? :cripes:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Thanks! These things are insanely loving heavy, I feel like I need to rig up some kind of ratchet homemade sag bracket lest my poor motherboard rip itself in twain

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Thanks again! :v: MSRP was $600

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I'm jealous, but congrats.

Are you still in the market? Idk if that kind of crazy stock drop is something we'll see again, but I can keep an eye out just in case.

MarcusSA posted:

Steal of the decade right there.

Triple congratulations.

:sun:

buffalo all day posted:

Goongrats :hfive: looking at my 3070ti, rgb and three fans definitely is worth +400$

Haha, I'm so sorry goon buddy.

You guys are making me feel much better about splashing out, thanks again.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Thanks but Canna Happy hooked me up with a Gigabyte 3060ti at cost (thanks, again man). It's just that with an FE you're getting more for your money.

Gotcha. I was just about to do the same when this popped up, actually. Thank you Canna Happy for doing the real Robin Hood poo poo for goons everywhere.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

So if you want to see if a store near you is dropping check fixit discord

https://discord.gg/gpu

if you see a store with multiple FE models alerting that's probably a dropzone

it's currently maxed out on invites according to their page. You can also ask me or Buffalo All Day if there's one near you happening and if i'm awake

And I can help if Alan's out. I wake up at 8AM EST weekdays, which is before any US BB opens but after most stock drops hit their inventory, and I usually check forums during breakfast. So if you've checked your discord/BB app already (I have limited AM time so please don't make me step one) and you see hot GPUs singles in your area but can't reach those two for more info, hit me up. The more goons who can get hooked up with FEs instead of paying through the nose for bundles, the better.

On weekends, best check with someone else. I will be unconscious. :eng99:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 24, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Edit: Whoops, GPU thread is not PC Build Thread

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 24, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Congrats! Let us know how hot that bad boy runs. I haven't tried mine yet.

I tried to return mine for a regular 3070 yesterday when Best Buy dropped a bunch of those, but I had a space case moment and drove to the wrong store of the two near me that get drops. Which one is busier tends to be determined by which one got the stock announcement first, and I went to the same one as last time out of habit. By the time I got there, there were already more people in line than they had cards in stock. Tried to immediately turn around and haul rear end for the other store, but they sold out right as I reached their exit.

:negative:

My PSU came in finally, so I'm probably going to accept my fate, install it tonight, and see how big of an issue the extra size and heat really is.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Seems like more Best Buys are getting those local stock drops of 3070 Ti FEs today, check your BB app if you're in the market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Unsinkabear posted:

Seems like more Best Buys are getting those local stock drops of 3070 Ti FEs today, check your BB app if you're in the market

And regular 3070s :pcgaming: