Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I've been looking to get a new card for months and I have finally given up.

I'm just going to use my 6gb 1060 until the end of the year at this rate haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I sold my EVGA one of those cards from my last PC and got $250. That was a month ago. They are now going for $300-350. Everything is completely insane.

That's completely insane. I have the ASUS one.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Not a Children posted:

Got to micro center about an hour before open, about 15-20 people ahead of me in line. Guess I’ll wait to see if I get any dregs.

I tried going to microcenter before it opened a few weeks ago and there was a huge line out in front of it with people looking for video cards.

The store owner then came out and told us that they had already given the "GPU vouchers" to a group of people that showed up at 5:30am that morning.

I just gave up on finding a GPU completely and am just going to limp my 6gb 1060 along until 2025 when you can get a MSRP GPU.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I have just accepted that I will be using my 6gb 1060 until the end of the decade...

I was hoping that it would not come to this, but then again I made my 560ti last through the end of 2018.

I refuse to get got by scalpers! Even if it means gaming in poverty mode.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
The going rate in the US on Amazon for a decent EVGA 3060 is $900.

I mean, I'm not quite desperate enough to pay that but I might be if this goes on for another 6 months I will not lie.

Newegg also has 3070tis for about $1200... It's still ridiculous but it looks like things are starting to come down maybe?

My 6gb 1060 is really starting to feel old whenever I launch a new game tbh.

I may be able to limp it through another year though...

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 2, 2021

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

mutata posted:

To be honest, there's not a ton of games right now that really need the 30xx cards. Flight Sim and Cyberpunk might benefit, but other than that it's hard to find much of anything that really takes advantage. I think that'll continue to be the case for a good while.

It's not so much the games that require them as much as it's me wanting to play 1-2 year old games at 144fps at 1440p or really play games at non-low settings for once...

Also ray tracing or whatever...

Mr. Neutron posted:

Cheapest one available here is a Gigabyte 3080Ti. Roughly 2093$, going by the current exchange rate.

My buddy managed to pick up a 3080ti off newegg for $1800.

That's the best deal I've heard of so far on the 3080TIs but I don't think it's too uncommon to see restocks on newegg at that price if you lurk the stockchecking bots for a few days.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 2, 2021

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Anyone here in the Austin area know of a brick and mortar store where you can buy GPUs?

When I was living in Atlanta they had a 'ticket' system where they would get video card shipments twice a week and you could wait outside in the morning to reserve a card that was only like $20-30 above MSRP.

Are there any stores here that do something similar or am I SOL?

I found one place that will let you lease video cards LOL

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Nothus posted:

There's a microcenter in Houston :v:

2 1/2hr drive fml

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Alan Smithee posted:

That’s a Texas 20 mins

It's also a Georgia 30 minutes so it's not that weird to me but I still don't want to drive 2 1/2 hours just to wait in line to not get a card lol.

Shifty Pony posted:

Is that the one over by Central Market? I couldn't believe it when I saw that it was a thing.

We're pretty SOL here really. There's also a Microcenter in Dallas :v:

Yeah the place I was referring to is called "Cutting Edge Gamer"

https://cuttingedgegamer.com/

You can check out their website here lol.

I have a hard time believe anyone is actually leasing these things. I suspect that it may just be a business pretense for some kind of money laundering scheme or something similarly shady but who knows maybe people are actually willing to lease cards lmao.

gently caress... Well I guess I'm just going to have to talk my cousin into picking up a card for me or something idk.

Might just have to bite the bullet and pay the troll toll for a card if this chip shortage thing continues...

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Is there any way to buy these cards in the US?

Or is it East Asia shipping only?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Paul MaudDib posted:

supposedly it's east asia face to face and you have to buy 500 cards at once.

not that that's an insurmountable amount, especially with prices like though. Right now if you had $136k to drop on it, you'd do OK cutting them up and selling them on ebay - at least up until everyone else started doing the same. Which is why they're selling them in bulk 500 cards at a time lol.

not 100% sure it's real, because obviously the response of everybody has been "where do I send the check" and surely if they were really available someone would drop them on ebay and prices would start dropping, even if it required a decent up-front buy-in it's still easy money.

Ok yeah that makes sense.

I was thinking like "drat $500 3070 that maybe works - gently caress it I'm in"

oh well - for what it's worth I'm pretty sure this is a sign that prices are about to start dropping for real.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I was selected for the Newegg shuffle, a 3070ti and a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro board for $850 is this a terrible deal before I pull the trigger? I was planning on hopping to a 5600 or 5800 anyways eventually

I'll buy it if you don't haha

Regular non ti 3070s go on newegg for over $1000 normally (if you're lazy and do not look at the stock checkers).

With a decent motherboard I'd say go for it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Wait so they're coming out with the 4000 series and the high GPU price situation is coming to an end?

I'm I skim reading this thread correctly?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The shortage is going to extend into 2022, and the 40 series is happening in like 14 months.

edit: There is a possible Super refresh for the 30 series happening late 2021/early 2022 though.

Ok Asus dual 1060 6gb - you still have so much work to do... :(

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

orcane posted:

In about a year I should have money for a video card again so I'll either buy a properly priced 3080 / 4080 or if those still don't exist a Quadro RTX A5000 for my SFF box :v:

At this point I think I'm just going to buy a really nice 1080p monitor to limp me through the new year.

Running newer games at 1440p on the 6gb 1060 is pretty rough lol

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

MikeC posted:

Still way too early to tell. All the usual suspects are reporting 12 - 18 months out before Lovelace (if that's what it is even called) and RNDA 3 will hit the streets with wild performance targets.

I wouldn't be so hopeful. Supply will improve but unless Intel really knocks it out of the park with their GPUs Q1 next year and are willing to flood the market at absurd pricing, higher prices are likely here to stay. The days of camping outside stores the night before drop days will likely come to an end and you can walk in to buy a GPU or just order from Newegg like before but the price ratcheting effect is real. Everyone now knows high-end gamers will pay 1000 dollars USD for flagship products and that midrange cards can be comfortably supported at 700 dollars USD. The old sweet spot pricing is likely dead for some time now as the mid-range is being bumped up to a more linear line on the price to performance charts.

Intel is literally our last hope here (what a hosed up world we live in). If Xe is good (3070 performance) AND it is aggressively priced (400 USD or below) AND they have the volume to absolutely crush the market to the point where supply isn't at all an issue and you can go anywhere at any time to pick one up - *maybe* Nvidia and AMD will be forced to relent to compete.

I mean yeah you're totally right - I would pay $700 for a 3070ti right now lol

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I'm just gonna pay over MSRP at this point I can no wait any longer/don't care lol.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 13, 2021

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Did any of those ethically questionable mining cards ever wind up appearing on US ebay?

Asking for a friend (my computer).

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Just pulled the trigger on a 6700xt from ASRock on Newegg for $800.

It hurts but I just got the first paycheck of my new job and I need something to get me through this drought lol.

Really looking forward to proper 1440p gaming.

Did I majorly gently caress up?

Are AMD videocard drivers still horrible?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Hasturtium posted:

First of all, congrats on the new job! The 6700XT is about competitive with the RTX 3070 in rasterization, and half again as much RAM is nice, but the raytracing is inferior. In the last few years - outside of OpenGL, where nobody is especially great outside of Nvidia and open Linux drivers - AMD and Nvidia’s drivers seem about on par with each other in my day to day use. The current price environment is horrible, I think you did fine. What’s the rest of the system like?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

So few games use ray tracing that it doesn't matter. It's a good purchase.

Godspeed and hope you do well on your new job!

The reason I've been so frustrated by all of this (maybe more than most) is because I built a completely new computer at the end of 2019 right before covid kicked off and upgraded everything but my 1060 6gb.

Currently I have a 3600x with 32gb of 3200mhz RAM, cooled with a 240mm NZXT Kraken AIO.

Then a few months later I bought a 1440p IPS display and found that the 1060 was not really cutting it and when I had the scratch boom no cards available.

Ray tracing is cool but I do not really care about it. I mostly just want to be able to run new games at 1440p at high settings. I've been slumming it running all 'newer' games at low settings through the pandemic bc stretching games at 1080 on a 1440p display always looks terrible imho.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm exactly the same, except I have a 5600X. Still on the fence about a 6600 XT as a bump over my 1060, but I mostly need it for VR and I can't find it mentioned in the same breath as VR, let alone any benchmarks, and it's a particular worry since anything over 1080p seems to tax it pretty badly.

But since joining the stock discord mentioned earlier (thanks goon!) all the drops I've seen are >£500 even for a 3060, which makes the 6600 look like an absolute steal relatively.

Yeah the 6700xt I got was on discount I think they generally go for like $900? I picked it up for $800 which is typically the going rate for the 6600xt. I also put it on rush order. I bought it with the signing bonus I received from my new gig and I have this next week off in between my old job and this new one. Shipping options are pretty limited on video cards not sold directly from Newegg.

I want to be able to game on the thing for a week before I get back in the saddle lol. Should be here on Tuesday.

The 3060s I've seen (at least on Newegg) seem to be going for like $1000 (for the TIs at least).

Really excited to finally have a 'fully new' computer. Only ever had Franken Machine with at least one big bottleneck.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Wait so I have a X470 MSI Gaming Plus motherboard and I can not tell if it supports PCI-4.

The notes from the 3rd most recent Bios update states that it gave the board "increase PCIE Compatibility" but it's not clear about support PCIE Gen 4.

I found a Reddit thread that explains the bios can manually be unlocked using AMIBCP but form the thread and some shallow googling I still can't figure out how to use this program.

Do I need to download the newest version of the bios and open the file in AMIBCP.

Is the X470 gaming plus supported?

Will PCIE gen 4 support make a noticeable difference in performance with the 6700xt? Do you need PCI 4.0 support to get the most out of these new cards or would it not be noticeable?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I overnighted the 6700xt that I ordered but because I ordered it on a Sunday it still has not been picked up by UPS. So I probably won't get the thing until tomorrow :psypop:

Looking at prices for my 1060 (Asus Dual) 6gb on eBay it looks like they're still regularly going for $300 wtf.

I'm probably going to sell it to compensate for getting beat to death on the 6700 but honestly I don't feel great about it...

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Card finally shipped

It should be here by 7pm tomorrow.

Seriously can't wait. I'm so happy to finally have a 'complete' new computer.

Also unrelated but I have a NZXT X61 that I'm using with my 3600x at the moment, but I saw that NZXT came out with a product called the "G12" that allows you to use an AIO cooler with a video card.

https://nzxt.com/product/kraken-g12

Has anyone tried this out? It's only like $30 on Amazon and it seems like it would be pretty good if you're looking to overclock your card.

The G12 supports AIO coolers made by other brands as well. The 'rear fan' space in my case is still unused and I was thinking about getting a 120mm radiator for the video card.

Would this be a worthwhile move do the 5700xt cards ship pretty close to their maximum output like the Ryzen chips?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Yeah, I checked the manual and you're just blowing air onto exposed memory modules and VRMs. Seems iffy. Might work for the 6700 XT, but it also strikes me as very unnecessary.

I've seen people benching OC'd 2080 supers claim that temps peak at 71c but I would imagine newer cards probably push 80?

There are several guides for the 6700xt with the g12 because apparently it takes very well to overclocking.

I'm not going to bother for now honestly, after looking at OC benchmarks for the ASRock card I bought I'm confident that the included cooling solution is more than beefy enough to handle it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Got my ASRock Challenger D 6700xt today.

This thing is totally cool and good. Resident Evil Village looks drat near real life this is completely crazy.

I have a 750w EVGA gold power supply and everything is fine so far.

I've had this power supply for about two years so it probably wouldn't hurt to invest in a new one soon.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

What? Why?

The PSU scaremongering I've seen a little of in this thread has put some weird ideas into people's heads.

To be fair I've always thought that power supplies degrade fast enough to warrant a replacement every 5 years or so.

I guess that's just another one of those myths I picked up over the years and never really questioned...

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Had frame drops on the 6700xt.

After uninstalling and reinstalling the video card drivers and resetting the bios settings, everything is working perfectly and poo poo looks great at 1440p.

As all of the reviews have already stated this card is more ray-tracing "capable" than anything else.

It really can't do it haha.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Put my Asus Dual 6gb 1060 up on ebay earlier today with a buy it now price of $300 and it sold in under an hour...

Man poo poo is hosed.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

I don't think anyone discussing the dropping view counts has actually indicated that they're in financial trouble or anything. Just a "yeah, this is happening, and we think it's because of dropping interest in PC hardware" (which is a pretty big assumption imo but it could be related)

I doubt it - I think people are just less likely to build a PC on their own when it is much more cost effective these days to just buy a pre-built machine.

That would be my theory anyways.

Really happy I caved and impulsively bought a 6700xt. It's playing everything I'm throwing at it at Ultra settings well over 60fps (with no ray tracing of course).

I will say this card gets pretty hot (AsRock 6700xt Challenger D 12GB). I was playing metro exodus yesterday and had temps peak at 89c-90c. I looked it up and the 6700xt won't thermal throttle until 100c which to me is crazy? Is that the norm for cards these days? I figured most everything cut power around 95c.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

No, they still charge you more than the retail price of the parts, if you count "retail price" as the elevated MSRP of the components set by the board partners. But even getting the cards at that price is a challenge. When people say that buying prebuilts is a comparatively good deal currently, they mean over paying scalper prices.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6455823

Here's a prebuilt example.

Considering some scalpers are asking $1400 for certain 3070 variants, this is only $200 more for an entirely and completely capable machine.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Vintersorg posted:

A friend of mine just got the goddamn Gundam PC lol I texted him after he posted it being like, did you really spend $5,000 on that thing?! But he's been saving his cash for a while since he was buying something when 1070's were hot.

Post pics lol

I just rewatched Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team on blueray last weekend and tbh it got me back into building the figures lol.

Also the 6700xt is pretty much equivalent to the 3060ti right?

I've had about two weeks with my ASRock 6700xt now and this thing loving owns.

I'm probably just saying that because I've only ever had hand-me-down cards or just old poo poo but after a mild overclock I'm getting 144fps with all ultra settings in battlefield 5 at 1440p.

Now hopefully I can just get this thing to last me for the next 10 years. If anyone is wondering if crypto will die soon so miners can stop buying cards already well... the price keeps going up so I think we are going to be hosed for awhile now :/

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Not dumb at all, the inability to meet demand is exactly why Sony and ms are staying cross gen on all their big titles like halo, god of war, horizon, gran turismo, etc. So because of that they will be lower in technical scope.

I'll say that using my 1060 until 2 weeks ago throughout covid the driver and game updates boosted performance like crazy.

I'm not sure if this is still the case but towards the start of covid-19 the 6gb 1060 was still the most popular card on steam by a wide margin.

No doubt game makers were scrambling to make sure their game was as playable as possible on the 6gb 1060 because certain games (like warzone) ran like poo poo at 1440p at the start and 6 months in I'm getting 90fps at medium settings.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

CoolCab posted:

oh it's still the same case and probably will be for the near forseeable, at least. my expectation would be a lot of those retiring 1060s are more likely to find a new home too so their descend down the steam hardware chart could be somewhat buttressed by secondhand.

CoolCab posted:

in fact wow yeah look at that

i think the 2060 is still in production but afaik the 1060 is not, and it's still increasing. back when GPUs were priced like any other component some would make it on to the secondhand market but many would wind up in a closet, still in an old build. now i bet waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more are getting flipped.

I sold my 1060 for $300 + shipping (came out to like $15) in less than 2 hours of listing the thing on eBay. It was a pretty desirable version of the 1060 (as I understand it people like that white two fan Asus 1060 for some reason).

The 1060 being a horrible card for mining I have to assume that some poor soul paid $300 to either resell the thing or game on it...

We should change the thread title to "Dear 1060 6gb, you still have SO much work to do."

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali564/p/N82E16883360194?Item=N82E16883360194&Source=socialshare&cm_mmc=snc-social-_-sr-_-83-360-194-_-09112021

Complete prebuilt with 16gb of ram and a 3060 for $1200 lol.

Not too much more than just a 3060 straight up if anyone is desperate and just wants to get a totally new computer.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Jeez prices are up from the other week.

Even the ASRock 6700xt is $120 more than it was when I bought mine 3 weeks ago :/

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Deeters posted:

Reposting from the PC Building thread:

My 1070 Ti that I was planning to use until the GPU shortage was better is dead, so I'm looking for something to replace it with. Is there anything worth buying under $700 new? And what else can I sign up for besides the Newegg Shuffle and EVGA alerts to just passively sit in a line? I have a couple discords but it's extremely depressing to see stuff sold out by the time I click the links. No Microcenter near me, and the 2 closest Best Buys are about 30 minutes away.

I have a 1440p ultrawide monitor, and Battlefield is about the twitchiest shooter I play, so I don't need to be running 144 Hz all the time. But greater than 60 Hz would be nice.

(And if anyone wants to play detective, I had made a thread when the 1070 died. Still no idea what happened to it as there's nothing visibly wrong)

I know it's out of your budget but if you don't feel like waiting around or lurking for stock drops, if you can find a 6700xt for $800 or so dollars it'll do everything you want it to.

My 6700xt runs BFV at 144fps on ultra settings. I'm more than happy with it - if you are looking for ray tracing though I would go with something else because this thing can only "theoretically" do it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Holy poo poo the ASRock 6700xt I bought two months ago for $800 is up to $1200 on newegg.

This market is so hosed up man...

Also the 850w Corsair power supply proved itself to be defective within a week. I went out to Best Buy and picked up a replacement that works fine but jeez... this is the second time I've ordered something that was defective and required a RMA in the past month. First a NVME drive and now a power supply.

My :tinfoil: theory is that OEMs are sending out lot of the poo poo that didn't pass QC 2 years ago in order to meet demand

My shot in the dark is that they put 'known defective' units in lots they sell to Amazon because (I'm guessing) amazon will pay out for it regardless.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
https://www.pcgamer.com/new-pcie-50-gpu-power-connector-could-deliver-an-absurd-600w-from-a-single-cable/

Pretty interesting stuff - the cable/power situation for GPUs is really getting out of control lol.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

So I've been using radeon chill on my recently purchased 6800xt, I have to say I am very impressed by it. Best-in-class frame-pacing and input latency. I thought it was going to be a stuttery gimmick like enhanced sync or anti-lag, but nope it is actually the bee's knees.
I have to say that on the whole the radeon software has been exceedinly impressive. I was expecting less after years of nvidia. But AMD has surprised me with the quality of their software and features.

I've felt the same way with my 6700xt.

I can tell you this though... I has not always been this way...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

The premise is that they're anticipating a sharp decline in GPU crypto mining by the mid point of next year due to proof of stake, so they want the scarcity to continue beyond that point in order to justify higher MSRPs for their upcoming Lovelace GPUs. Take a hit in profits now for more profits down the road. MLID's many "industry contacts" are assuring him this is happening.

In reality, I highly doubt it. The main flaw of the premise is that Nvidia is not the only player in this game, and leaving such a big opening for AMD and especially Intel to regain market share would be suicidal. Should the factors resulting in GPU scarcity go down and nvidia decides that nah, they'll hold back actually to keep scarcity alive, what's stopping AMD and Intel from taking advantage of that? It's ridiculous to think that Nvidia would take such a huge gamble when they have huge potential profits on the table in front of them right now that they can just take with no effort.

I do not think the Crypto demand will drop as a result of proof of stake...

Not to get too deep into Crypto stuff because that is (rightfully) illegal on the forums, but there will always be a new proof of work crypto that people with these cards are going to want to jump on. The whole crypto thing is like a Hydra - always sprouting new heads...