Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

hatty posted:

Did they give a recommended PSU spec for the 3080 anywhere? Guessing my 650W is too anemic for these new ones

They're recommending 750w on all three according to their specs page.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/compare/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Lockback posted:

That 100w difference between the 3080 and the 3070.

Yeah, definitely want to see benchmarks before jumping on a 3080, that thing might run REAL hot

i can't read apparently

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The airflow design of the FEs has made me get an AIO finally for my build.

Thanks EKWB for your sick looking 24AIO

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

triple sulk posted:

These things are called "cook groups" (to "cook" is to basically check out lots whatever you're trying to resell; it's a dumb term) and they charge anywhere from $15-60 a month depending on how limited their invites are. Typically they have a member cap in Discord and then sell invites at drop times which sell out in seconds. They usually make deals with bot makers from time to time to sell numbers of licenses which are either raffled or, again, dropped at a given time so that a few hundred members try to fight to check out a bot license which in and of itself is usually a couple hundred dollars or more. Those bots resell for anywhere from $300-5000 depending on reputation and recent success.

I am not making an ounce of this up.

so the bot groups use bots to buy more bots?

it's bots all the way down

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

Where are the graphics cards measured from, exactly? Is it the rear face that sits against the back of the case, or does it include the little hooks that you screw down to hold the card in its slot?

My mid-tower case fits my EVGA 1060 with about 1cm to spare, and depending on where I measure from I can get values from 275 to 300mm of available length, and uhhhh

e: lol yeah i'm gonna have to saw out part of my hard drive cage to fit it. thank god for nvme

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

What Titan features would there be exactly? The 3090 is replacing the Titan line

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

an actual dog posted:

It's not lol

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

exquisite tea posted:

You should use the PCI-E cables that came with the power supply to connect your GPU, if possible. Different manufacturers have different patterns for the bits that plug into the PSU so there's no guarantee your old cables would even work on a new power supply.

You should ONLY use the modular cables that came with your PSU. Best case scenario it doesn't work, worst case scenario you dump voltage into parts that weren't expecting voltage and there goes your graphics card.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Paul MaudDib posted:

oh, lol, it's tether behind all of this again

only 28 trillion of REAL MONEY that is 100% BACKED BY CUSTOMER DEPOSITS

they've doubled their issue volume since december and tripled it since september, apparently the SEC is finally starting to grind them up and they realized they're hosed so they went all-in

Someone checked into the country that they bank in, they publish a foreign currency holdings report, and the total amount of USD across all banks in that country is something like half of the USDT amount so lol

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 9, 2021

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The Gadfly posted:

Nvidia should really not be doing any of this in the first place. A lot of anti-consumer friendly practices start out by implementing a version of it for either safety or consumer protection reasons. Then, they start implementing bios locks on non-crypto-related software just to drive up the price for buying the exact same hardware.

I do not want this sort of thing standardized. It already happened with bootloader unlocked smartphones marketed as "developer" versions costing way more than the locked phones, under the guise that it is dangerous for consumers to be in complete control of their device.

This has been a thing for years with RTX/GTX though. A GTX1080 can handle like 10 nvenc encodes at one time, but is artificially limited to two.

I still strongly suspect that they're going to do the rumored thing and kill the currently existing 70/80 SKUs and replace them with the hardware limited SKUs to try and help the intended market.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I mean it’s great and all but realistically it wouldn’t make any changes in the near to medium future.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Hemish posted:

My take on the impact on game development will be pretty minimal unless you're working from home and need an upgrade or your video card dies and you can't work.

I think the pandemic will be worse for game development and the games we got during 2020 and early 2021 were stuff that was already pretty far in the dev cycle but stuff that was expected later in 2021 or 2022... Then that sliding farther down the road also impacts the next project that was planned, etc... I was listening to a Giantbomb podcast the other day and they were actually talking about this with a guest who's been in the last few weeks. That guy was saying 2-3 years to get back to normal on that front, all because of the pandemic and not the GPU shortage since most games are on consoles and those are nowhere near as bad as the GPU hunt.

I think it was more of a "Does it make sense to develop a game with raytracing and DLSS if no one can buy a card with those features anytime soon" impact on development.

Truthfully, I suspect they're not going to bother changing development lifecycles, they're just going to assume that by the time they finish the game, availability will be fine.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

my homie dhall posted:

yo am I dumb or something, why does it seem like the scalper problem would be insanely easy to solve by each online retailer just limiting each address/household to one of (super scarce product)? sure there are workarounds / bypasses to this, but it'd be pretty difficult to bypass at any large scale. I guess they just don't care?

scalper pays scummy PO box shop owner 150 bucks to take all packages addressed to "scalper mcgee" no matter what box it's addressed to

Since those places often advertise as 123 Main Street, Apt 7 or whatever, there's no easy way to tell it's a PO box shop instead of an apartment complex

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Craptacular! posted:

Wow, what the hell. Is this why Chrome is taking steps to secure extensions in ways that are making adblockers nervous? It seems pretty obvious to me an extension traffic should be initiated one-way.

Kinda? It's more an issue of adblockers have stupid amounts of access. Manifest v3's intent is instead of the adblocker getting a copy of all browsing activity and saying "block this based on my rules", the adblocker provides a list of rules to Chrome, that Chrome then enforces, without providing all browsing activity to the adblock extension.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

ilkhan posted:

1: I got an RTX 3070 from EVGA's queue. Is it likely to be a lower hash rate chip? Doesn't matter to me, but might matter on resale if I end up not liking it.

2: I've seen some pci-E scaling results that show x4 vs x16 doesn't make that big of a difference in graphics performance, but it seems going over a x4 thunderbolt link slows down performance more. Why?

3: pairing it with an XPS15 (the new 9510, so i7-11800H tiger lake H), if I run the native screen on the 3050ti (45W) at 1200p, and an eGPU setup with the 3070 to a 1440p or 4k screen, how are they going to compare at the same settings aside from resolution?

Unless it's currently branded as an LHR SKU, I'd expect it to be full hash rate.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

1050Ti

RTX something

flip it around ...

1660 Super
That’s a Galax 3060ti

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

My wife managed to buy a PS5 last week, and it just arrived today.

I only mention this because we'd been trying to get one for about three, maybe four months now, and the way retailers here do it is... different?

Basically they announce ahead of time that there's going to be a drop - like "from 2:00 PM to 2:05 PM on Friday", and you have to monitor their Facebook page, then at exactly 2:00 PM they put up a Facebook post with a bit.ly link that you have to follow to get to the store page for the console. And the link itself isn't really a link: it's in one of those special characters that only looks like typeface but can't actually be copy-pasted because the paste doesn't resolve into letters.

We did I think four attempts at these drops - the last three times either the site would crash from load or it'd already be sold out by the time the page loaded, but this time my wife got through and she managed to place an order.

I don't know if this kind of thing is any more impervious to botting, but I just wanted to share. For what it's worth the thing cost just under 800 dollars in a straight currency conversion - for the console, one controller, a docking/charging station for the controller, and two bundled games.
Any 12 year old writing a bot can do Unicode normalization, so my guess is this store isn't big enough to be a target, because that's a super easily solvable problem for bots

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

yo this bb drop is dogshit

i'm keeping an eye out for a bit longer in case FEs show up after, but bleh a bunch of AIBs only sucks

i had a TUF 3070 in my cart, but felt a little weird about paying 50 bucks more for a 3070 vs a FE 3080

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

there were like 0 FE cards today

a fairly reliable source is giving me numbers that indicate there's plenty of FE cards sitting at best buy, they just haven't dropped em yet

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Bad Munki posted:

Would that source be your uncle who works for NintendoNvidia, or Mr. Best Buy himself?

friend of a friend has access to a cook group (gently caress scalpers) and they had internal warehouse inventory screenshots

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Bad Munki posted:

Seems legit

All I know is that trust my friend to be providing solid info

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

would it be for later today?

The last FE drop on the 10th happened much later in the day according to nowinstock, so possibly

(1-2p smithee time, 4-5 eastern)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

where is my FE card Buff?

you. promised. me. FE. cards

Me too Alan i was hoping

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Zotix posted:

How early you think I should go to Best Buy? Tickets are handed out to people in like at 730, but obviously the earlier the better

Speaking roughly there's about 200 cards maximum per store, and the line tracker is showing lines as high as 186 in Costa Mesa, CA.

If you're not in line right now, chances are good at best you're not getting what you want (assume about a quarter of the cards are 3090s, the rest of a store's stock is the remaining SKUs), at worst you're not getting a card at all

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

NoDamage posted:

Is this Best Buy thing only for Founders Edition cards?

Yup.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

GutBomb posted:

My local Best Buy in Sandy Utah had no evidence of anyone camped out or anything as of right now (9:20 AM). No one waiting in their cars, no signs. Looks like any other day before opening at this particular Best Buy.

Well everyone would have gotten the coupons at 7:30 local time and gone in at store opening so that would make sense

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

GutBomb posted:

Store opening is at ten, so I figured I’d see at least a few cars with people waiting, but it’s dead like any other day. Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing but anyone in SLC looking for a card might want to drop by and see if there’s any available.

- Murray, UT
- Ogden (W. Riverdale Road), UT

If it's not one of those stores, then yeah the reason why there's no one there is because there's no FEs at that store

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

WebDO posted:

Really wish there was a way to figure out if there was stock at places that had low numbers of people on the one line tracking Google docs before driving an hour in VA

A little birdie estimates 150 cards across all SKUs at Fredericksburg and Chesapeake (per store)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

WebDO posted:

The main question is have all the tickets been claimed before driving all that way starting now. The price of a job in medicine that precludes camping out, haha

Honestly at this point I'd suspect all inventory is claimed across all stores

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

Hurricane bears? Is it next to a gay bar?

I haven’t seen a list yet (just found out today myself and it’s been known for two weeks apparently) for this time but it sounds like it’s more or less the same as the last in person drop list

Yeah, it's the same stores as last time.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

So without getting into the ethical implications of scalped/eBay cards, if budget was no real issue for a 3080, what would I want to be looking at? I was tempted by the FE when attempting to buy retail, but I think that was more a concern of price than anything.

I've heard FTW3 would probably be top tier (and also would be the least touchy if I needed customer support), so I'm leaning that way.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Paul MaudDib posted:

EVGA is (afaik) the only company still doing transferable warranties, and buying a $2000 card with no warranty seems foolish. You do need the original invoice from the original customer though, and they need to have registered it within the window.

Other than that they're fine cards but nothing exceptional really, the FTW3 itself is competent enough but doesn't really distinguish itself in any way that matters imo. Which is also true in general - almost all of the higher-end partner cards are moving towards the megachonk triple slot designs, and almost all of them are fine, and very few distinguish themselves in any real way. GPU Boost 3.0 does a good enough job of extracting the performance from the card that OC is no longer much of a thing and they don't really distinguish themselves on performance, and it's hard to gently caress up thermals/noise in a triple slot card.

Seems like EVGA doesn't require the original purchaser to have registered it, you just need the proof of purchase from buyer a, and your warranty starts from ship date of the item to original retailer, not purchase date. Seems fine enough to me.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

my battle is over

Pulled the trigger on an ANTonline bundle with a 3080FTW3 Ultra and a 5800x for basically MSRP

I'll take it as a win

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

PittTheElder posted:

I'm hella jelly

my friend managed to sneak in right before they went out of stock

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

I wanna say the evga 210

If there’s a cheaper one idk but at 50-60 buxx can’t complain

to be 100% clear, it has to be the -KR model numbers, not the -LR model numbers.

the 01G-P3-1312-LR is regularly available at adorama, but that is not eligible for step up, and I'm seeing reports that EVGA is being a bit touchy with the -KR 210s now too

https://forums.evga.com/GT-210-Qualify-for-StepUp-m3399587.aspx

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Listerine posted:

I asked about UPS in the PC parts thread but never got an answer, maybe one of you guys can help me.

I've got a beefy power supply- 1500 or 1600 watts- that I got since I was planning to keep adding GPUs for rendering. The Cyberpower UPS I'm looking at is rated at 1000W. For someone who doesn't understand electricity at all, what would be the issue for plugging my computer with its 1500W PSU into a 1000W UPS. I've only got a 780 and a 2070 in there now, so I don't think I'm drawing north of a 1000W yet, but if I added one or two more cards, would the computer not be able to run at load while plugged into that UPS?

I mean you're only safe to pull 1500W (in america) from the wall anyway, so I'd hope you're not pulling that sustained anyway

it's also highly unlikely you're drawing 1500W anyway

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 18, 2021

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Ihmemies posted:

This make no sense. In Europe I can draw 2300W from a 10A fuse and 3700W from a 16A fuse. And 16A household fuses are not that rare...

Hopefully I'm not going to need all that for running future GPU's....

15amp times 120v = 1800 watts, continuous load allowed per electrical codes is 80%, 1440 watts

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

punk rebel ecks posted:

If I get in line tonight. Would I be able to pick up a 3080 or will the lines likely be too long by 6pm?

Probably too long

Go now.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

loopsheloop posted:

Thanks, wishful thinking. I thought the GPU market had gone nuts on the high-end side, didn't know it was so crazy even on old cards.

It's gone so crazy since "oh no my graphics card died" means either your choices are a 2000 dollar ebay 3070 or a 400 dollar 1070

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Yeah the short version is that the app isn’t supposed to tell customers that rare items in stock, but they still surface what items are in stock but say they’re out of stock.

If you type “RTX” into search, and don’t see a FE 3080 in results when you have it set to “in stock at Los Angeles Best Buy”, then there’s definitely no FE 3080 at that store.

If it instead shows the FE 3080 in search results, but says it’s out of stock, it’s most likely at that store