Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

shrike82 posted:

the hash rates for the nvidia mining cards don't line up with the gaming cards (i believe the highest rated miner performs worse than a 3080) so i wonder if they're really just rebadged 60/70/80 or if they're tweaking the 3060 to hit all performance targets

Factory underclocking for power consumption reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Is this hash rate lock going to impact the performance of GPUs for use with Folding@Home and other distributed computing projects?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

OhFunny posted:

Is this hash rate lock going to impact the performance of GPUs for use with Folding@Home and other distributed computing projects?

If Nvidia is thoughtful about it, they could verify the programs by hash/certificate that are legitimate and create allowances for them. Not sure if they're that thoughtful right now.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
they are targeting ethereum specifically so i'd be surprised if it affects other applications, including other types of mining

https://twitter.com/bdelrizzo/status/1362794618983620612?s=20

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Coin algorithms do extremely specific work so it's probably relatively easy to limit the block to them

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

F@H is primarily floating point work I think, so easy to distinguish from crypto algorithms that just saturate the integer units

The one thing that probably will get caught in the crossfire is GPU password cracking but that's such a small niche that I doubt Nvidia cares

e: memory access in crypto algorithms is effectively random too right? if they're using performance counters they could add cache miss rate as a second parameter besides integer pressure

extremely heavy integer math + extremely high cache miss rate would catch mining reliably with very little chance of false positives i think

repiv fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 20, 2021

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
3060 at the advertised hash rate still makes $6+ mining non eth coins
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rtx-3060-still-profitable-mining
The new drivers might help with 3070 and up but the 3060 will be very sought after by miners

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

3060 at the advertised hash rate still makes $6+ mining non eth coins
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rtx-3060-still-profitable-mining
The new drivers might help with 3070 and up but the 3060 will be very sought after by miners

who gives a gently caress

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

terrorist ambulance posted:

who gives a gently caress

people who want to buy a 3060 for non mining purposes i assume. The limited supply will never outstrip the nearly limitless demand of miners. Im pointing out that the nvidia "solution" isnt going to work which is 100% on topic in the GPU thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 20, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mutata posted:

Best Buy has been consistently doing drops every other Tuesday morning, so the fact that there hasn't been a Best Buy drop since 2/9 isn't unusual. That said, most everyone accepts that there isn't going to be even sparse 3080 drops until April at least.

It's pretty safe to assume if there's a BB drop this coming week it'll be on the 25th to coincide with the 3060 launch.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope miners gently caress off and make more dried strawberries.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

people who want to buy a 3060 for non mining purposes i assume. The limited supply will never outstrip the nearly limitless demand of miners. Im pointing out that the nvidia "solution" isnt going to work which is 100% on topic in the GPU thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

If you continue to poo poo up this thread, I am going to seriously start ramping your probes and we will move on very quickly to bans because I do not have patience for your nonsense. We've exchanged PMs enough. Do not PM me.

Vintersorg posted:

I hope miners gently caress off and make more dried strawberries.

Please report instead of engaging.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Have 30xx series cards been available in-store at microcenter at all? I assume they wouldn't list them online if they had stock.

The Denver one had two "spoken for" 3070s and a 3090 ftw, plus a couple red devil 6800 xt cards still available for like $1500 when i was there a couple weeks ago

They were not listed on the site

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 20, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Fairfax VA Micro Center has been pretty dry the past 3-4 nights - one night of ~10 3070s, but otherwise nothing else - not even any AMD GPUs or 5800/5900/5950s (though the DC area writ large had a decent drop of those semi-recently). They'll only confirm that they'll "have stock" of 3060s on the 25th at this point.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Can a gpu nerd (lol nerrrrd) give me an eli5 why 3080s seem to be so much more stock limited than 3070s or 3090s? What is it about the 3080 in particular? Is it purely that it's the best price-to-perf out there right now? Is it something intrinsic to the way the 3080 is made?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
There's probably not less stock for 3080s. There's definitely more people trying to snap them up though, so they will sell out much faster, making it seem like there's less than the other SKUs.

Yes I know, "iTs A dEmAnD pRoBlEm", but it really kind of is, once you're drilling down in to difference in availability between -70, -80 and -90 cards.

There's nothing intrinsic holding back production of 3080s that wouldnt also hold back 3090s.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Can a gpu nerd (lol nerrrrd) give me an eli5 why 3080s seem to be so much more stock limited than 3070s or 3090s? What is it about the 3080 in particular? Is it purely that it's the best price-to-perf out there right now? Is it something intrinsic to the way the 3080 is made?

3080s have the GDDR6x VRAM, which had pipeline difficulties last year in addition to the general semiconductor shortage that's going on everywhere right now. The 3090s have it too, but the 3080 (used to) be priced reasonably enough that it was the most desireable card at its price/performance ratio. Everybody wants a 3080, but not everyone is willing to spend $1,600 to get 10% more performance on the 3090. And the RTX 3080 is still better enough than a 3070 that it's the first significant upgrade path for anybody coming from Turing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

as others said, the 3080 and the 3090 are the only ones with GDDR6X memory, and the 3090 isn't really priced to be a "gaming card", despite what NVidia would like to think.

a lot of people are "pushed" into wanting the 3080 and nothing else because nothing else is a reasonable upgrade if you current card is reasonably up-to-date, and even people for whom the 3070 is an option can be pushed to the 3080 because the pricing gap and the relative performance gap isn't so wide compared to trying to rationalize a 3090 from a 3080

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also, at least where i live, at current prices the price bump is ~30% for a 30% boost in fps, so 3080 is same or sometimes more frames per your buck.

at ~500/~700 it's a 40% price difference, but they retail for 1000 and 1300 now, and if you're already spending stupid money might as well get the better fps/$$$ option i guess

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

spunkshui posted:

They are taking the time to put firmware on the card that makes it work less good.

That's literally the business model around the Geforce/Quadro differentiation, so it's nothing new

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Not sure if this belongs in the monitor thread, linux thread, or this one... Has anyone ever gotten G-Sync to work with actual games/apps at all in linux? It works fine in this demo https://github.com/dahenry/gl-gsync-demo so I know it works and the nvidia-settings are correct, but I've never gotten any other apps to go into gsync mode. A few apps in steam (Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein) that have native linux versions, also q2rtx. Doesn't matter if I set the game to fullscreen, doesn't matter what resolution/refresh I set the game to, the indicator never goes to gsync and the monitor never shows VRR. I disabled opengl compositing in my window manager as various places suggested, doesn't make a difference.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 20, 2021

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

When it comes to the 3090, there just really isn't as much demand for it as a gaming product compared to the 3080.

When comparing to the 3070 stock to 3080 stock it's all down to die size. The 3080's die is 628 mm² vs the 3070's 392 mm. A wafer of 3070 chips and a wafer of 3080 chips is the likely same size but you can get more 3070 chips out of that area than you can 3080 chips. Also as a die size/complexity increases, the more likely you are to have more faulty chips, lowering yields and therefore supply.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Rescue Toaster posted:

Not sure if this belongs in the monitor thread, linux thread, or this one... Has anyone ever gotten G-Sync to work with actual games/apps at all in linux?

I had heard something about Gsync being broken in some of the more recent builds, but I can confirm it works for me (Fedora KDE). Make sure "allow flipping" is enabled in the checkmark above "enable gsync" in nvidia-settings, and in X Server Display Configuration click the advanced button and make sure both pipeline checkboxes are disabled.

The image has to be able to flip for Gsync to work, but sometimes flipping is disabled because it interferes with streaming/recording software.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

I had heard something about Gsync being broken in some of the more recent builds, but I can confirm it works for me (Fedora KDE). Make sure "allow flipping" is enabled in the checkmark above "enable gsync" in nvidia-settings, and in X Server Display Configuration click the advanced button and make sure both pipeline checkboxes are disabled.

The image has to be able to flip for Gsync to work, but sometimes flipping is disabled because it interferes with streaming/recording software.

Thanks, I double checked that stuff. At one point when I had Xfce's display compositing on, I could actually see VRR on the monitor just while sitting at the desktop, was kind of strange and could cause flickering sometimes but definitely worked. Once I disabled desktop compositing and with the test app I linked, obviously it's possible for a fullscreen app to run gsync. I know in linux everyone says it's fullscreen only.

I've heard some people say that an app must not change resolution/refresh rate after starting because it can cause GSYNC to go away, but that seems unworkable since many games will change modes or change from windowed to fullscreen when they launch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AirRaid posted:

There's probably not less stock for 3080s. There's definitely more people trying to snap them up though, so they will sell out much faster, making it seem like there's less than the other SKUs.

Yes I know, "iTs A dEmAnD pRoBlEm", but it really kind of is, once you're drilling down in to difference in availability between -70, -80 and -90 cards.

There's nothing intrinsic holding back production of 3080s that wouldnt also hold back 3090s.
There has been a lot of evidence that there have been fewer 3080 shipments than the rest

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

FlamingLiberal posted:

There has been a lot of evidence that there have been fewer 3080 shipments than the rest

Anecdotally, I’m in EVGA’s 3080 queue for a 3080 FTW as of September 27, no notification yet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Frank Dillinger posted:

Anecdotally, I’m in EVGA’s 3080 queue for a 3080 FTW as of September 27, no notification yet.

the queue opened on the 16th and my friend who got in on september 18th got his card a couple of weeks ago. so good luck

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Frank Dillinger posted:

They're barely at the 9AM mark of September 19th so it's going to be a while.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Man good luck getting a laptop with a 30 series card in at this point too.

It’s fuckin ridiculous.

IMO Nvidia should be working on fixing that problem ASAP.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Man good luck getting a laptop with a 30 series card in at this point too.

It’s fuckin ridiculous.

IMO Nvidia should be working on fixing that problem ASAP.

Revenue is revenue for them. I suppose we should be thankful they're just not holding back all the cards for themselves and recouping all of their production costs through mining before selling us "used" cards.

Even this new hash nerf is bullshit window dressing, it only applies to Ethereum, so 3060s will still be miner's darlings for every other buttcoin.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Even this new hash nerf is bullshit window dressing, it only applies to Ethereum, so 3060s will still be miner's darlings for every other buttcoin.

Is this true? If it is, will this really put that much of a dent in the crypto demand for 3060s or any other 3000 series card? If that's the case, then this wouldn't be much more than a PR stunt.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wow that sucks then.

There were some pretty decent deals for 3060 laptops that by thanksgiving/ Christmas would be great deals but so much for that!

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I suppose we should be thankful they're just not holding back all the cards for themselves and recouping all of their production costs through mining before selling us "used" cards.

Actually that would explain a lot. They have to test them before sending out after all.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Nvidia should really not be doing any of this in the first place. A lot of anti-consumer friendly practices start out by implementing a version of it for either safety or consumer protection reasons. Then, they start implementing bios locks on non-crypto-related software just to drive up the price for buying the exact same hardware.

I do not want this sort of thing standardized. It already happened with bootloader unlocked smartphones marketed as "developer" versions costing way more than the locked phones, under the guise that it is dangerous for consumers to be in complete control of their device.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Gadfly posted:

Nvidia should really not be doing any of this in the first place.
:fuckoff: I've been calling this for years. The other day was the most optimistic I've felt reading this thread in months. Crypto can go die in a fire.

The things still mine, they just take that much longer to reach profitability (and as fauxtool noted, on cheaper cards in a bonkers enough market 50% reduction might not dissuade some people.) While I'd rather they just not mine and Nvidia be able to say "these don't do that, don't buy these for that job" the reality is they have to be very careful how they implement this to not accidentally tank other workloads.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 20, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

intentionally tanking the performance of certain workloads for segmentation is nothing new, AMD and NV alike have been doing it forever

if you touch certain OpenGL features used by CAD apps but not by games then consumer cards are mysteriously an order of magnitude slower than pro cards with the same silicon

the only difference in this case is they're being transparent about it rather than pretending it's a bug/regression in the driver (which they refuse to fix because reasons)

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 20, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Tanking a single mining algorithm isn’t the same as handicapping a specific primitive/op (e.g., Nvidia and FP32 accumulate)

Anyway I’m skeptical this really does much for the “hardcore” gamer crowd unless they expand it to the 70/80 cards

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
TUF 3080 non-OC dropped this afternoon on Amazon... at $1199 :chloe:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The Gadfly posted:

Nvidia should really not be doing any of this in the first place. A lot of anti-consumer friendly practices start out by implementing a version of it for either safety or consumer protection reasons. Then, they start implementing bios locks on non-crypto-related software just to drive up the price for buying the exact same hardware.

I do not want this sort of thing standardized. It already happened with bootloader unlocked smartphones marketed as "developer" versions costing way more than the locked phones, under the guise that it is dangerous for consumers to be in complete control of their device.

This has been a thing for years with RTX/GTX though. A GTX1080 can handle like 10 nvenc encodes at one time, but is artificially limited to two.

I still strongly suspect that they're going to do the rumored thing and kill the currently existing 70/80 SKUs and replace them with the hardware limited SKUs to try and help the intended market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Or they’re happy for miners to pay the premium for consumer 70/80s :shrug: