Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Just broke down and purchased the MSI Twin Frozr 5 970 GTX from Scan. Hope I can sell my 4GB 670GTX for a good amount on Gumtree or something. Still have some in stock btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

everythingWasBees posted:

Just verifying, for the MSI 970 I'm supposed to use both the 6 pin and 8 pin power slots, right?

Yup

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Foxhound posted:

Got a MSI 970 today because I felt like not being 4 years behind on the hardware curve for once. Having a ball with it and played around a bit with the clocks.

There is a problem where the clock occasionally locks itself to 540MHz and I can't seem to bring it up except for with a restart. Is this a common problem?
I never did any overclocking on my old card.

I got this with the same card, think it was because I pushed it too hard (I forgot you have to divide memory clock by 2.) Eitherway has yet to happen outside of dicking around

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

go3 posted:

Letting the early adopters figure things out owns

I've figured it out, it's safe to buy, go mad, buy two!

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Who wants my cast-offs?

Also found an old dedicated PhysX card in a box whilst looking for a cable, anyone want that?

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 29, 2014

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Think of it like this. The 970GTX uses around 100W less than some of the previous cards. So assuming you game for 10 hours a day every day, your electric bill will be around £35 less per year. So after 8 years it's paid for itself!

Dads will love that one

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Those who are saying they can play at ultra res textures in Shadow of Mordor with a 970 GTX, are you actually installing the optional high res texture pack that actually makes ultra different to high?

Only ask because whilst the benchmark on my 970 GTX gives good results on ultra in QHD or even 4K. If I actually try to play the game and turn the camera or something the game will freeze for a second whilst I assume it's loading new textures making it virtually unplayable if fighting. Only fix for me is to put the textures to high and play at HD.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Diviance posted:

Yeah, that is with the texture pack installed. I get the momentary stuttering when I first start the game and swing the camera to look around from atop the tower, but once I get going I have no issues.

For me it won't stop no matter how far I get into it

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Diviance posted:

What CPU do you have?

Monitoring programs show I'm using all the memory and I'm using a i3570k @4.2GHz and 16GB RAM

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Diviance posted:

Well, then I haven't the slightest. Are you using the 344.16 drivers that came out after the 970/980's got released?

Unless maybe it is the speed it is loading the textures from the HDD is insufficient, so it stutters more often?

Latest drivers yeah. Will try moving onto my SSD later to see if it helps at all

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Skwee posted:

ive been playing with a 970 on ultra with it installed on my ssd. runs great at 1080p

Yeah me too, but the issues arise when I play at QHD which other people seem to have no issues with. Copying everything over to my SSD to see if it helps

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Swartz posted:

So how are people doing with overclocking their shiny new 970's or 980's?
I didn't plan on overclocking my MSI 970, but it had some trouble after turning up some new graphic settings in a game I like so I decided to try overclocking my GPU for the first time.

I'm new to OC'ing the GPU and didn't want to overdo it, so my goal is to give it the best overclock without raising the voltage.

With MSI Afterburner, I put it to 110% power limit (the max), +135 to the core, and +500 to the memory.

3D Mark Firestrike score without OC'ing was 9,362 (keep in mind though I have a 2500k processor, so that probably hurts my overall score a bit).
Overclocked with the above settings I got 10,382 :)
On top of that the game I was having FPS issues with no longer has issues.

How much higher do you imagine I can overclock this beast without raising voltage? The reason I don't want to raise the voltage is I'm worried about frying my new card or the temp going too high (I stick to the same principle when I overclock my CPU).

I'm really glad I bought a 970.

If anyone is interested in a GTX 760 SC from EVGA, I'm willing to sell mine for $150 shipped just to get rid of the thing (never overclocked it, great card, just need to apply a little air-duster to it before shipping it).

So is that 8GHz effective on the memory? If I go beyond 350 on the slider (7.7GHz effective i think) I get artifacts and driver crashes.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
MSI Twinfrozr or something. Can't be bothered sending back for a slightly faster OC. Reviews were saying they managed 7.8 max on the MSI without issue so was just surprised when I saw people getting 8+. THought the 8.8s were done on the 980?

Assuming you're having no issues in games?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Duck and burger posted:

Ordered mine, too, yayayay. Hope I did it soon enough. Guess maybe I'll be giving Tomb Raider another play through? More Skyrim, of course. The hell else am I supposed to do with this thing other than BF4 and Mordor?

Benchmark

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Mush Man posted:

I'm planning to move from one 1080p monitor to two 1440p monitors and upgrading from a GTX 560 to a GTX 970 at the same time. Is the graphics card upgrade enough to support an increase in resolution that large? What's the effect on performance when there's a second monitor if I'm only going to run games on the first?

I have a 4K monitor and a QHD monitor as my secondary. I see no performance drop when playing games on the 4K monitor at QHD and having browsers and videos up on the second monitor.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Also worth noting is that high/mid-high end graphics cards seem to hold their value relatively well. I just managed to sell my 670GTX for £180 on eBay, I bought it for £200 new just over a year ago.

Not saying that you'll be able to sell a 970GTX for cost price in 6 months time, but maybe not so far off the original price should something new come out to dazzle you.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

John DiFool posted:

Anyone want offer thoughts on 670 vs 970? I'm running 1440p and the 670 does pretty well, but will probably start to show its age against newer titles.

As I pointed out in my post you could possibly sell your 670 for a very good price and potentially get the 970 for near £100 or whatever your currency of choice is

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
If GTA V is anything like GTA IV then it won't be the GPU holding people back

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

r0ck0 posted:

Who wants to flash their card with a modified BIOS? Please post trip reports. See the following thread for more infos.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1514085/official-nvidia-gtx-970-owners-club/4380#post_23037684

NVFlash download:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=28741252702707245981

I was able to increase the power limit on my MSI 970GTX to 125%, but so far you cannot change voltages which is the real bottleneck at the moment for most peoples overclocks

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Just realised today that I'm on a 7 year old PSU with the 8th year fast approaching. These Corsairs are workhorses. Will probably upgrade at the next mobo upgrade as I fancy some SLi action now I've got a bit more money to burn

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Because they knew early adopters would buy it regardless. Now the initial rush has died down (a bit) and black Friday fast approaches they bring out marketing trick number 2.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I used to run three displays from my old 670gtx. One DP, one HDMI and one DVI. All independent as well.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Wengy posted:

I have a 660 Ti which runs CoD AW like poo poo. I really want to play FC4, what do I need to upgrade to? And is now a good time to upgrade?

Perfect time since FC4 is one of the free games

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Anyone had any luck with Scan regarding the free game? Their forums mention that you should speak directly with a CS agent regarding a code and that they're in talks with Nvidia. Fired off an email asking to help a fellow Boltonian out.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Scan have replied to my CS note saying that they want to go the extra mile for customers and will be giving a free code to early adopters despite Nvidia telling them not too.

I bought mine in sept so very pleased.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Gwaihir posted:

Funnily enough, Shadows of Mordor is one of the first/only games where I have done things like closed down Firefox before starting it up, since that's the edge between capping out VRAM and having a couple hundred megs spare. If we're going to see more games like that I wouldn't mind a card with more RAM just so I can be lazy and keep everything open!

Take it you didn't play games in the 90s

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I sold my 670GTX for 180 green queens a few weeks ago on eBay. Get what you can!

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
In all fairness it's running like garbage on consoles too

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Best I'm getting it seems:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

SlayVus posted:

I actually have a 10,933 Fire Strike. My Graphics Score was ~13,000. If you threw an overclock on the the GPUs you should easily be able to increase your graphics score.

I did have an overclock. CPU was at 4.6GHz and the GPU was at at +130/+475. Seems to be the limit on stability unfortunately. Wasn't complaining about the score, personally thought it was quite good, not going to expect a 100% increase in graphics score because of the second card.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Think it was 1400MHz boost at the time. No idea how people are getting close to 1.6GHz on the boost.

^^^^^ You'd think Nvidia would do something with the 3dfx brand

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 24, 2014

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

OK went back and tweaked a little. CPU at 4.7 and GPU at 8GHz mem and 1442MHz core (boosted). If I get a water cooler could maybe could push the CPU but I think that's my limit.

How are people determining their boost clocks? To me getting close to 1.6GHz seems unrealistic and I know Valley reports the core clock incorrectly.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

HalloKitty posted:

I don't think water would achieve much now, I'd say 4.7GHz for Haswell is absolutely outstanding.

For comparison, I get around 7K in Fire Strike with a 2500K @ 4.4GHz and a 7950 Boost overclocked.

That said, I dropped the clocks back to stock on the 7950 because I couldn't get the card to idle properly (the voltage stayed at 1.25 all the time), and apparently nobody on here has seen that problem before.

God knows if my 4.7 is stable, it's stable enough to run Firestrike long enough, but temps are touching 100C for prime and the physics parts of 3D Mark. Day to day I run it at 4.4.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

slightpirate posted:

gently caress all the dickbags on Amazon that buy out and repost nearly all the 970's at a 50-100$ premium.

Surely 970s can't be that hard to come by in the US?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Stanley Pain posted:

Is there an option I'm missing somewhere to force 3DMARK to use the GPU for physics?

Pretty sure mine was using CPU as the temps shot up to near 100C when the physics bit started. Fairly certain the whole benchmark is standardized and unchangeable beyond what you force in the drivers; it gives people a chance to compare their e-penis fairly. The overclocks I was running for that benchmark I wouldn't dream of using day to day.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Not an error, just that DDR5 has double the bandwidth of DDR3. So yeah, just double it basically.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
980Ti I'm guessing

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
See if your games have a borderless window mode

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Ragingsheep posted:

Is 8.8k in Firestrike what you'd expect from a MSI GTX970 and 4590?

This is what I got before I upgraded my PC recently (just over 10k)

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3011369

We have the same GPU and the CPU is a 3570k that was OCed to 4.2GHz. Yours should be a bit faster than mine I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Hace posted:

I'm saying the opposite dude, Far Cry 4 does not like nvidia cards.

Do the same benchmarks but with the NVidia graphic setting. I think you'll technically see an infinite improvement :)