Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Hell, my first proper video card was a GeForce MX440. That poo poo was practically passively cooled, with how small the heatsinks were. And the reference models were!

You're making me feel old. My first 3d card was a 3dfx voodoo banshee. It could get 60fps at quake 2 at 640x480! (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d-chips,83-7.html)
The MX cards were a strange beast. The Ti4200 was the best deal of that generation (and incidentally, my third video card).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Ihmemies posted:

Since 2008 I've had a 4850, 6950@6970 and a GTX 970.

Before I think I had a 7800gt maybe? It burned. And a Geforce4 ti4400, Geforce 256, voodoo1, some s3 crap. I don't upgrade very often.

I think the 7800/8800 generations were hit with the same solder problems that doomed the early Xbox 360's and a bunch of macbooks. I had an 8800 that I bought from someone on SA-Mart that went bad. I revived it with a short bake and it lasted another year before giving up the ghost.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Godspeed 980 Ti Hybrid on SA-Mart :patriot:

You guys need to sell video cards I can afford.
I'm hoping that as soon as the HTC Vive's ship there will be a ton of <970s at firesale prices.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

mobby_6kl posted:

Norm from Tested plugs a card into the Razer Core, and some other questions are answered as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGFRoWj0YOw
It's a pretty slick process and compared to a regular enterprise-level docks it's not that expensive when bought with their laptop, but still.

I really love this idea and I hope it catches on enough to come down in price a bit. You could swap your single GPU between a desktop, a laptop, and an HTPC if you had one with the proper connectivity.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Since things move pretty slowly on the low end, is the GTX 950 a solid choice for medium detail 1080p gaming now that it's less than $140? I was hoping for a 970 firesale but that doesn't seem that likely.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Paul MaudDib posted:

You can get a 950 for $120 AR. Shortie single-fan card, dunno if that helps or hinders you.

Or, you can get a 960 for $150 AR with ROTR.

If that's the performance level you need then those cards are fine for the cost. They're not as futureproof as trying to track down a 780 Ti or 290/290x for <$200 with 3 GB or 4 GB of VRAM but it's fine if that's what you want to do with it.

That's helpful. I checked ebay and it looks like many of the 290's are selling for ~$240 and the 780Ti's closer to $275, which is close enough to new 970 territory. Outside of SA-Mart, it doesn't seem like moderately-aged used cards actually sell at much of a discount.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

snuff posted:

I agree brand loyalty is stupid, but monopoly is only beneficial for nvidia and if you look at how the GTX 970 and R9 390 are price/performance wise (that is, very much on par with arguably the AMD card being the better deal) and the real world sales numbers probably being 5 to 1 for the nvidia card it's a drat shame that nvidia has such a firm grip on consumers.

Isn't the 970 vastly more power efficient than the 390? All things being equal why buy the card that uses 100W more power to do the same job?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

EoRaptor posted:

This is because the price cuts reinforced the idea that the 970 was better value. By cutting the price, AMD admitted their card wasn't as good, and since price segments are set by income, not by the value of the item being purchased, the 970 ran away with its target market.

People might be predictable actors, but they are not rational actors. Anytime somebody talks about people being rational actors, punch them in the face, that poo poo shouldn't be tolerated.

I'm not quite getting this argument. The 390x costs ~$50-$75 more than the 970 right now on newegg, and according to this comparison: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1559?vs=1595 is similar in performance but draws an extra 175W. Are you saying that the 390x would sell better if it was even more expensive?

edit: I guess we're talking about the 290x which is slightly slower, but still, what fraction of people who buy $300+ GPU's aren't looking at benchmarks?

Naffer fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 17, 2016

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

SlayVus posted:

With how retailers are selling these cards, it really makes you wonder what's coming. 980 Ti for the price of a 980, what kind of world are we living in.

I'm certain the retailers don't know what's coming, and are just worried that they'll get stuck with old stock if the new cards are super desirable.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

FaustianQ posted:

Sorry for nearly spamming the thread at this point, but asking for a friend who's budget is really low and ebaying a card: low profile R5 240 vs HD7570? Replacing their current setup isn't an option, and they're running an HD5450 so literally anything is better (it's chugging on 1080p and flash games, let alone a handful of steam games they play), but I'm iffy on recommending a R5 230 (or any VLIW card) or GT 720, but they'll get more oomph out of the 7570 compared to the R5 240. Budget is 40$.

Someone will have to double check me, but why not look at something like a GTX 460. They periodically sell for ~$40 on ebay and they seem to be much faster than the other cards you're talking about. Granted they're quite old at this point.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

FaustianQ posted:

Never seen a low profile GTX 460?

Missed that bit.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Zero VGS posted:

It sucks a bit because AMD is kinda doing the "right thing" by trying to prioritize affordable low/mid-tier cards for the 99%.

I was thinking about this recently but I don't know how I feel about it anymore. On the steam GPU survey, the 970 is the most popular card (at 5%) while the lower end 950 is in only about a tenth of those (0.5%). I guess I had always assumed that the $150 cards outsold the $350 cards 10:1.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

xthetenth posted:

Why compare to the 950? The 960 is a better comparison, and even then it's a mediocrity that came out later and was overpriced. The 970 was a good card that came out without its weaknesses being known and with its competition being severely misrepresented in benchmarks. It's one of the most successful launches of all time.

However, if that's all NV has and AMD owns the lower end for a while that's a lot of low end GPUs they're making the new version of. It's also a return to mobile where basically any market share they get is a gain.

I picked the 950 because it was cheaper than the 960, but I didn't realize it was released ~6 months after.
There are almost as many 970's as 750ti's, 950, and 960's combined: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Talk about a successful card.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, the great dumping has begun, Micro Center is hawking MSI and EVGA Superclocked 970's for $250..

If these dip below $200 I wonder if they'll be a better deal than whatever AMD has coming?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Twerk from Home posted:

A sane prediction: 290X/970 level performance for $200. :toot:

I'd buy this.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Not following that closely, but I take it the prices of current gen high end cards will fall off an absolute cliff in the next couple of weeks?

It's hard to say. What often happens is that they drop somewhat but that they become unavailable before they plummet to "buy one get three free" sorts of prices.
I suspect that the somewhat higher list prices for this generation from Nvidia will keep prices from falling too far.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I had hopes for Broadwell-E having an affordable 8-core but it looks like they're not decreasing their per-core prices at all and the top end Broadwell-E part is like 75% as expensive as a Xeon :negative:. Given Intel's pricing trends I'll probably be looking to the Zen as well, Intel is just getting too greedy.

We can't really blame them. They don't have much incentive to lower prices when AMD isn't nipping at their heels and overall PC sales are flat.
If I had to guess they're probably going to be pretty conservative for a while now that they've pulled out of phone SoC's. There's some risk that ARM chips in chromebooks will cannibalize the low end, but that might actually endanger AMD more than Intel.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
That's a pretty big bandwidth upgrade for the 1060 over the 960, but still slightly less than the 970.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

didn't reviewers say that the FE at 100% fan speed is almost as loud as the 290x at 100%? :ironicat:

This review puts it about 57db at 100%:
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2441-diy-gtx-1080-hybrid-thermals-100-percent-lower-higher-oc-room

That's similar to a 2000W Honda inverter generator (53db @ quarter load, 59 fully loaded):
http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2000i

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

repiv posted:

(fixed your broken hotlink)

Jesus christ who thought that was a good idea :psyduck:

The Zotac has two, you can see them through a cutout on the backplate shot. Not sure if it's 8+6 or 8+8 though.

The second link says the ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP! has 2*8-pin.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

SwissArmyDruid posted:

http://videocardz.com/60253/amd-radeon-r9-480-3dmark11-benchmarks

Salt heavily, folks. Writer acknowledges that they're putting out unverifiable information by commenter demand.

AMD Polaris 67DF:C7 - Theoretical 480X
AMD Polaris 67DF:C4 - Theoretical 480

Maybe I missed something, but based on this we're expecting to see a Polaris 10 card that slots in between the 970 and the 980Ti, and well behind the 1070 and 1080? That doesn't seem like the end of the world for AMD if they get their price right.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

If they've got >=970 performance at $199 that might actually sell pretty well. The 1060 (if it exists) could still cause them some trouble though.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Shorty board confirmed. Blower fan intakes from both sides.

Back of the card

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Lungboy posted:

~£170 for the new AMD card to max out everything on my U2412M sounds like a good plan to me, coming from a gtx560. Even my wife couldn't complain about that, right?

I'm looking forward to replacing my HD5700 with a 480. That should be a nice jump too.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

xthetenth posted:

The only other game I can think of that uses over 4 GB VRAM without some really nuts settings is rise of the tomb raider, and that game actually uses VRAM and RAM semi interchangeably for a lot of data and runs fine on a Fury.

It'll be interesting to see how the 480 4GB and 8GB compare to one another.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

snuff posted:

I like it, Sapphire always make these heavy solid looking cards none of that RGB dragon bullshit.

My significant other spotted this card when I had it out of my PC to clean the blower out on it, and it's been a running joke about how I must have bought the card because of the girl on it ever since.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

HalloKitty posted:

I don't get it, what's wrong with it? It looks alright, it's not covered in XTREME ~GAM3R~ poo poo.

The ultimate "card with a woman on it" has to be the ASUS 4870X2, which is basically completely covered in the image of a woman.

I remember that card coming up before from similar conversations, never had one myself. I would say you couldn't get away with marketing like that now, but that would be a horrible lie, you absolutely could.

That one is definitely worse than the 5770. It's a bit funny, Sapphire used the same render of a woman on all the redesigns of the cooler too:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81WP0CSksAL._SL1500_.jpg
http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Sapphire-Launches-Customized-Radeon-HD-5770-2.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing custom 480 designs that take advantage of the fact that it's a shorty pcb.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
If the 480 turns out to be really similar to the 970, would it be worth getting the 8GB version? Is the 970 constrained by ram at 1080p or 1440p?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Don Lapre posted:

Wow, feel bad for all the 1070 owners

I doubt the cards can all reliably overclock by 30%, otherwise why wouldn't AMD have selected more aggressive clocks for them?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

NewFatMike posted:

Power draw could pick up by a lot and AMD said they were focusing on efficiency?

I'm an unabashed AMD apologist though.

Could be. I'm just an unabashed skeptic.

FaustianQ posted:

It's likely both of these reasons actually. There is probably a lot of binning going on with Polaris 10, so you'll get your 189$ RX480 4GB at 1080 which sips power, a 219$ RX480 4GB @ 1266Mhz, a 249$ RX480 8GB @1266Mhz and some guaranteed headroom, and 279-329$ RX480 8GB models which either come factory overclocked to ~1400Mhz or can overclock to ~1400Mhz or higher.

The 1070 will be okay unless 1400Mhz is a standard OC and it can hit something like 1.6Ghz reliably, in which case why wouldn't Nvidia price drop the 1070?

I like the idea that the long embargo was so that they could produce a lot of chips before selecting final binning. You wouldn't want performance specs to get out if you were optimistic that your clocks were going to improve.

Naffer fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 13, 2016

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

EdEddnEddy posted:

Had to catch up but on the old GPU Purchase and Box Art, I have been pretty lucky to get some boring box art paired with some rather ok cards.

First 3D card came with my families HP Pavilion 8180 which was a ATI Rage II with....Some Ram (maybe 4mb) and played Mechwarrior 2 Mercs somewhat well. Was mind blowing coming from a Pentium 66 with 16MB ram before even though that played Top Gun rather well with good graphics at 640x480 in the day lol.

First GPU Purchase was a Diamond Monster Fusion PCI

This thing was great that even though it had a few issues with the Voodoo 2 sort of driver issues as it was a 2D/3D card where the Voodoo 2 needed a 2D card to work (which I ended up getting from a buddy and paired it with that Rage II down the road). It ran fast as hell back in the day on that P2 266.

When I built my first rig in 2000 with a P3 933, The PCI limit on that Banshee was painfully visible as the latency showed 60FPS more like 25 in the way it had to take turns with the GPU/Audio/Modem/Whatever else at the time.

I bought a CreativeLabs 3dfx Banshee back in the day too. I don't remember when creative got out of the GPU business.
What I didn't remember is that the banshee was actually slower than the Voodoo 2. Thankfully Tomshardware has their review from 1998 still up on their site.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Naffer fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 13, 2016

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Via reddit: http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/13/watch-pc-gamings-e3-conference-right-here/

"The products include the Radeon RX 480 graphics card, which can run virtual reality on a PC for prices starting at $200 for a four-gigabyte version. AMD is also showing the Radeon RX 470 and the Radeon RX 460 cards. They go on sale on June 29."

Wonder if the 470 will be a cut down 480.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Twerk from Home posted:

Man, I had no idea that Half Life still had a software renderer. By the time I got around to playing it I had a Geforce 2 MX.

Half life was released in 1998, the same year the Voodoo 2 was released.
I got Command and Conquer Red Alert for Christmas in 1996, and had to go on the internet with my 19.2kbps modem to download new S3 drivers that supported DirectX 3.0.
Quake II came out a year later.
Half-life came out a year after that.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

FaustianQ posted:

Also my bet on the SP count for the RX470 is 1792SP, which should put it, based on the RX480, just below a 970. Also means there should be 512SPs between each card.

It makes sense for the 470 to be < 970 since otherwise they would have been touting it as the VR ready option.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Hubis posted:

AMD doesn't want perf numbers to come out because they want it to be harder for NVIDIA to scoop their launch by announcing 1060 at the exact perfect Perf/$ level to make the 480 irrelevant.

It seems possible. The 960 launched at $199. If Nvidia launched a 1060 at $229 with similar performance to the 480 it would take a lot of wind out of AMD's sails.
The rumor right now is that the 1060 will be 1280 shaders with 6GB/192-bit memory,

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

The way it seems to go they get small amounts in all the time, vs large batches. Sometimes it's daily.

The easiest way would be 3d Mark scores, but your situation gets a little grey when you add SLI to the mix. I highly highly doubt you'll find SLI 760's in benchmarks today which would be the most concrete information of course but 3dmark will get you close enough. Synthetics get a little heat for being inaccurate real world but its close enough and certainly a valid way to compare cards.

If these are actually run under the same conditions, then the 480 should be very similar to SLI 760.
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/zotac_gtx_760_sli_review,10.html
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-rx-470-3dmark-performance/

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Do AMD and Nvidia GPU's still refuse to downclock if you run more than one monitor at non-identical resolutions?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

HalloKitty posted:

The core clocks drop as expected on AMD GPUs, but the memory clock does not, and stays unnecessarily high. From my experience, anyway.

This is sort of my experience on an old 5770. It downclocks the core to 400 MHz (normal idle is ~150 MHz) but leaves the memory at full tilt. I was hoping something had changed.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Icept posted:

So I decided to make a bad decision:

Motherfucker is heavy compared to the ol' MSI 970 4G. Anyone have a comparison or benchmark with the 970 they want done before I put this into place?

And yes, the "Super" is a nice little sticker on the box :v:

That is a huge card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Enos Cabell posted:

How noticeable of a jump is a 980ti over a 970 at 1440p? My old 1080p gaming monitor died, and my 970 just isn't keeping up now that I'm using a 1440p display. I'm planning to get a 1080 once the dust settles a bit, but the idea of getting an EVGA 980ti now and then doing a step-up to a 1080 is pretty tempting.

Maybe 30% better depending on the game?
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/20.html