Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

Too bad for your wrong opinions on Doom 3 :colbert:

And now, in 2017, Doom 3 is one of the coolest games you can play in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I really wish I still had my first built from scratch PC. I had a Matrox Millennium in that to start, and added the Voodoo a year or two later when it came out.

e: Tyan Tomcat motherboard with a Cyrix 166 CPU, but I can't remember how much ram it had

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Truga posted:

My first gpu was a trident vga card. Went straght from a c64 to a 386DX40, what an upgrade that was.

All through high school we had this old IBM PS/2 Model 25 that my dad paid like $3500 for in 1988 and refused to upgrade. That thing had an 8086 CPU, integrated MCGA graphics and display, 512k of ram, and a 3 1/2" disk drive when nearly every game was still coming out on 5 1/4" disks. He sold/gave away our C128 when we got it, so that was it for PC gaming.

Two freaking weeks before I leave for college, he asked me to spec him out a brand new Gateway 2000 486 DX2/66 system with PCI VGA and 8MB of ram and a CDRom and the works. So my brothers and sister got to enjoy one hell of an upgrade, while I got to take the old IBM to college. :argh:

I ended up buying a tricked out Amiga500 anyway.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Amiga's performance was astounding for the day and is one of those systems with a weird retro-computing cult following even today. All of Babylon 5's CGI was rendered on a farm of Video Toasters, on time and under budget. Shame Commodore faceplanted so badly in the late 80s/early 90s, they were really on fire for a while there.

The Commodore name keeps trading hands every few years it seems, dating back to the mid-late 90s, and it's resulted in such a wet-fart every single time. You'd think someone would be able to capitalize on that nostalgia.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That is amazing. It makes no drat sense to buy, but I am sorely tempted.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

B-Mac posted:

I'll be using a 1440/144 soon but I honestly don't mind turning some settings down. I do t game that much with a six month old around. I just like tinkering with PCs, one of my few hobbies and I enjoy it with my limited free time. That upgrade/building itch is hard to fight sometimes.

I'm perfectly happy with my 1080 at 1440/144 and I run everything high/ultra. Just make sure to get a GSync monitor.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Pretend I went to the effort to shop in "BUT MY FREESYNC"

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Green Gloves posted:

Well hey I finally managed to buy a RX 580 4gb for $280 on Ebay. Not a great deal but I need something to play games with. Maybe I can still flip it in the meantime. 4gb is a little lacking.

Flip it for $450 and buy a 1080 instead.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I know it won't happen, but NV dropping Volta the same month that consumer Vega comes out would make me so incredibly amused.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

3peat posted:

fursonally

the gently caress is this poo poo?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nvidia confirmed that it won't be out this year. Looking like next spring possibly?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

Should I consider finally building a new system for Volta?

If it were me, I'd skip Volta and upgrade the mobo/cpu/ram and maybe an m.2 ssd. 1080 should drive that monitor until the "1280" rolls around.

e: that is, next year after the new Intel stuff drops, not right now

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The best combo was NVidia NForce chipset boards with AMD cpus. Loved my old NForce/Opteron combo.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

scrubs season six posted:

Ugh, was really hoping for Volta for my next build but not sure I can hold out until 2018. Maybe this will actually be one of the few times I upgrade my vidya cards without doing a full rebuild.

This got me to thinking, and I can actually draw a connected line from the PC I am using now all the way back to a Gateway2000 486/66 in 1994. I've been continually upgrading since then, and I can't recall ever changing out mb/cpu/ram and vid card at the same time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I went through old email receipts and stuff, since my memory is terrible and I've been building PCs for a while. I honestly thought I had more AMD in this list.

1995 Matrox Millenium (hot poo poo 2d in the pre-3d days)
1996 S3 Virge (this sucked)
1997 Voodoo 1 (holy gently caress, paired this with the Millenium)
1998 Voodoo 2 12mb
1998 Voodoo 2 12mb (SLI was mind blowing in this era)
2000 GeForce 2 GTS (don't recall exact model, needed it for some game I can't recall that 3dfx didn't support well)
2001 GeForce 3 Ti200
2003 GeForce 4 Ti4200
2005 7800GT
2007 8800GTX 768
2009 HD 4890
2011 GTX570
2011 GTX570 (months later for SLI, then step-up to 680 iirc)
2012 GTX680
2014 GTX970
2016 1080

I know I used Evga Step-Up on that 7800GT, but I can't remember what exactly I stepped up to.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 27, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Riflen posted:

Looking at the data, the frametime results for "High" are what most would consider normal. Some setting in this application's "Highest" preset is causing Vega huge problems right now.

Could it be related to the MSAA troubles that Vega has? I think that is one difference between the high and highest setting, SMAA vs MSAA

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Put the money into your display if you can, it makes way more sense long term. I'd shoot for a 1440p @ 144 g-sync display now, and cut what corners you need to on the video card.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If it was for Corey Feldman, then you probably should have held out for the next gen. Was it for Bubbles though? He'll be fine with a 1080ti for quite some time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The MSI Gaming X, Asus Strix Gaming, EVGA SC2 or FTW3 are all good choices. I'd probably go with EVGA because I like their warranty and customer service best but any of those cards is a fine choice.

I've gone EVGA almost exclusively for years now, but this cycle I went with the MSI Gaming X 1080 and have been extremely impressed. EVGA probably still gets the nod for the warranty and step-up program though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

truth

for added weirdness, first person games I always play inverted, but third person is normal

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is this when Nvidia announces their entrance into the CPU market?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

3) My current screen is a 1080p (which is currently stressing my old GTX 750 Ti pretty hard), so obviously I'd be looking to upgrade shortly after this purchase. I understand the 1080 Ti can push 4k @ 60fps, but that's with current-gen games. If I want to keep this card for at least two years, would it be wiser to get something a little smaller, like a 3440 x 1440?

Just make sure the monitor supports GSync and you won't have to worry about it. That said, I still prefer 1440p in a desktop monitor. 4k seems overkill for anything 27" and smaller.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Don't pre-buy any component for a future build unless you are getting an amazingly good deal on it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Volguus posted:

It is completely retarded and a waste of electricity, but it is also $17,000 USD per bitcoin today. So ... yea.

The real money is in writing popular mining software, and then running off with $60+ million in users funds.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Instead of spending more for a worse GPU, why not put that money towards a gsync monitor instead? Buying freesync now is just gambling that AMD is good next cycle or NV adds support, neither of which seems too likely.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

A most likely dumb question: for ultrawide and ~100 hz gaming would it be a good idea to pick up an evga 1070ti in late March and then use the evga step up program when the ampere cards launch? The 1080ti prices are all jacked but my city has had the evga 1070ti in stock pretty reliably for msrp ($500) + $20.

I'll be upgrading from a 780 3gb at 1080p.

I know a lot of people did that back before the 10 series came out.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ok, but can it run Crysis?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I really wish I didn't care about actually playing PC games. I would sell this 1080 in a heartbeat, but being stuck with consoles only for god knows how long just isn't going to work.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah this poo poo has been going on for a year and shows no sign of letting up. :rip: PC gaming

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

buglord posted:

This is really cool. Is it official or just something everyone did enough times that the police decided to join in?

I think more police departments are starting to do this. My midwestern city has a few spots designated for online transactions in a couple of police station parking lots.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SLI is almost always a terrible idea these days. What the gently caress are you playing that you have performance concerns at 1080p with a 1080ti?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

jonathan posted:

Not now. But in 2 years ? Who knows. I mostly play racing sims in VR. The 1070 was barely cutting it.

Ok, but in 2 years it will still make way more sense to buy whatever the current good card is rather than spending money on a second 3 year old card. Especially in VR, VR isn't compatible with SLI

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Man I remember leading up to pascal launch, you could find brand new 980tis for $550 or less. I'm almost afraid to see what the 1180 launches at.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Arzachel posted:

Decent G-Sync monitors cost an arm and a leg.

So do decent GPUs, but you'll get 3x the use out of the monitor.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Smirk posted:

Try this: in the settings menu of the monitor itself, in the Other section, turn Power Saving off.

Holy crap, thanks for this! I can now turn both displays off, let them sleep, whatever and it will always come back up with the windows in the correct position.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've been impressed enough with the GeForce Now beta that, depending on pricing, I'd feel comfortable suggesting that for anyone waiting for cards to be available.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The MSI Gaming X 1080 (the good cooler) is actually in stock at Newegg and cheaper at $679 than I paid back in June 2016: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814127943

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

redeyes posted:

Im a big fan of ASrock mobos. I'd buy their gfx.

:yeah:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wonder if you could get Steam running on like an old WinXP box with a 3DFX card and ancient drivers? Kinda makes me wish I was more of a packrat so I could try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I paid $5 for the Steam link and it works pretty flawlessly.