Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

lethial posted:

I read that in Europe the GTX 770s also have the nvidia reference cooler that is used on the titan and the 780, so maybe look for those?
I believe actually sells at least one GTX 770 here in the US with the reference style blower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Does the R9-280X debut this week, or is it just pre-order also?

I've been waiting to get a card that can ideally power 1440p at max settings/60 fps for Diablo III, WoW, etc., and had settled originally on the 7970 GE, but with the R9-280X appearing to be a re-badged 7970 GE and now coming in at $299, I'm hoping that either a) it'll be available right away this week, b) it'll force the GTX 770 down in price to $300-350ish to where I might go with the 4GB version of it instead, or c) the GTX 780 will ultimately come down as the R9-290X approaches release and I just go ahead and try to get a little longer out of whatever card I do get by paying more and going more powerful. I saw the 4GB GTX 770 this week at Newegg for ~ $425 but it seems like prices will drop a lot once the R9-280X comes out. Thoughts?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I hope the GTX 770 does drop that low. Otherwise, how low might the 780 go?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

So, potential 780 buyers, the price of the R9 290X appears to have been leaked by Newegg in their site's page code. $730. Mmmmmmnot as cheap as many had hoped. Edit: Given Newegg's own markup that's still maybe $699.

It also sounds like it was for the BF4 special edition card, so it could still come in at the $650 range.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Anandtech review of the R9-280X is "up", though they're updating it in "real-time" and hence a lot of the figures/graphs are missing. :lolz:

Edit - Actually, whole segments/sections are missing too. It's kinda shoddy to release an unfinished article...

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 8, 2013

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, [H] has theirs up also of the ASUS R9-280X DirectCU II TOP. For $299 it looks promising - I especially like that ASUS put a 2-slot cooler on it now vs. their former 3-slot coolers while still getting a performance boost over the stock R9-280X.

Now to decide whether it's worth waiting for the R9-290 (non-X) or not...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Alereon posted:

That's been there for a couple months I think, it's an OEM rebrand of the GTX 670. Releasing that could be an interesting choice, especially if they give it 4GB of RAM. At $299 that would be a killer card.
Forgive my ignorance, but why would this be a killer card? The R9-280X essentially trades blows with the 770, but only costs $299 now (with some 7970 OCs being found on sale for ~ $260-280). It seems like the 280X would still outperform a 760 Ti by a good margin, and they would both be the same price.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Not sure how reliable videocardz.com is, but they're now saying that the launch of the 290 series is being delayed to an unknown date.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Anyone looking forward for the 290 non-X? Looks like this would be the best bargain buy...

I've been debating between the non-X 290 or going with the ASUS Matrix R9-280X.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah TrueAudio is somewhat tempting, but for the games I play at 1440p (WoW, D3, some old source games, Civ 5) I'm not sure how much benefit I'd see going with the 290 over the 280X. I've been tempted to just get the 280X now and if I need a little more power down the road buying another 280X once specials kick in and Crossfiring it. I know Crossfire isn't the best but I'm hoping AMD will continue the focus on fixing Crossfire via driver updates and by the time I would Crossfire them it's be better.

At the same time though the lack of a bridge on the 290s is an interesting development for Crossfire.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Athropos posted:

I'm thinking of selling my SLI 2gb 680s and getting a single 290x card because I'm pretty sick of dual GPU woes in some games and at 1440p I'm not quite getting the performance I expect. However the market in Quebec sucks dick to sell local and the best offer I got was 550$ for both cards, am I doing something wrong?

Out of curiosity, which games are you playing at 1440p where the 2x 680s aren't up to the performance? I ask because I've been considering either 2x 770s or 2x 280Xs long-term and I'm at 1440p, so it'd be interesting to see with what games it may not even matter to go SLI or Crossfire.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Rahu X posted:

Either way, I don't know how to feel about this. The NDA will be lifted soon though, which eases my mind some.

This whole launch has bothered me quite a bit. I'm sure someone in AMD's marketing department probably said "Hey, let's just throw out little bits of information here and there, but never actually say when this thing is being released. It'll totally build suspense and hype!", but it's rather annoying to not even say when the NDA might be lifted or such. They might as well just launch the drat thing or at least just say when it'll actually be released.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Does anyone actually feel hyped by the 290X?

Not that I know of, which is why it baffles me as to why AMD is handling this the way they are.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

With Anand indicating that they think the 780 Ti will take the current $650 price point of the 780, what do you guys think the 780 might drop down to?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

If it gets to around $550 I'll put plan "do a dumb loving thing" into motion and just give up all hope of ever being considered reasonable again. The games bundle and that low of a price would be enough for me. Two 780s. God that's dumb. What is wrong with me. So I'm hoping it just bonks it down to $600 or so.
Yeah, if it drops to $550, and depending on how the R9-290/X pans out, I may give up my current plan of going with 2x ASUS Matrix 280Xs. (Then picking up a second 780 sometime next year). I game in Windows but I like to play around in OS X as a Hackintosh so the 780 would be more amenable to continuing that.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Gonkish posted:

I thought it was any Nvidia card?

I believe it is only Kepler-based cards.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I'm cross-posting this from the parts picking thread since I realized it may be more appropriate for this thread given the context, so hopefully this doesnr get me in trouble:

Out of curiosity, how undesirable is it to do either SLI or Crossfire (just two GPUs) on a board with a PLX chip? I'm considering someday going with 2x ASUS R9-280X Matrix's which are the triple-slot coolers. To allow a slot for adequate air intake for the first card I was looking at boards that place the second GPU lower such as the Asrock Z77 WS or (ideally to keep my Hackintosh hobby alive) the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP 7. I know there is some overheard for the PLX chip but wasn't sure whether it should be avoided at all costs.

For reference though my motherboard and cards will be horizontal (keeping a Corsair Air 540 on its side) so hot air should be rising up from one card into the upper card such as in a vertical arrangement. Otherwise are there any standard x8/x8 boards that could accommodate 2x triple slot coolers?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

ShadowStalker posted:

Let's hope, I'm holding off on a new PC build until they get released (3 year old PC with a 5850). I'm hoping the 290 gets released along with the 290X. Want to get my build done for the release of BF4.

The 290 isn't likely coming until October 31st if leaks are to be believed. Only the 290X debuts tomorrow it appears.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

With Factory Factory on the "yo Anand benchmarks are cool but let's get some analysis over here!" thing, though :mad:

I feel like they've been dropping the ball recently on their reviews. I don't know if it's because Anand only cares about Apple really now or what, but it's annoying to see them continuing to pull this poo poo of "Hey we know you only care about charts anyway!" Ugh no, we don't just care about charts.

It's also funny when [H] and the other sites can get their reviews out but Anandtech can't. They've had the card for at least a week now - you can't tell me Ryan Smith couldn't find 1/2 hour or an hour to at least put some text down for each section. Their coverage of anything non-Apple has become horrible.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Alereon posted:

They accidentally set one article for a scheduled go-live before it's completed and suddenly it's an indictment of their non-Apple coverage? Anandtech's game is deep, detailed analysis of technology and that takes time.

But it wasn't one-time? They've done it in the past with the Titan, the 7990, the 280X and now the 290X that come to mind. Now I just may be ignorant and perhaps they're contractually obligated to have *something* up when the embargo lifts, but if not, I feel like it'd be better for them to simply hold off on putting anything up until the entire review is ready.

As for it being an "accidental scheduling" for the publish date, Ryan Smith and Anand both commented in the 280X comments sections that the (unfinished) review went up at the intended time, and Ryan Smith said the same this time in the comments pre-emptively. There isn't anything accidental about it - they're pushing for a review to be up the moment the embargo lifts regardless of the completion state of the review, and it looks really bad.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Alereon posted:

It just seems ridiculous to me that you're complaining that Anandtech doesn't always have a complete article ready when the NDA lifts because they're taking the time to produce some of the best coverage in the industry. Go look at what HardOCP posted and compare that to the Anandtech review, do you see why Anandtech's coverage takes longer?
Because it looks like shoddy journalism when an article goes up and almost every section says [work in progress]. Look at it this way: when companies have gone and put out rushed products, Anandtech (and others) call those companies out, and rightfully so. So why now are you giving them a pass for essentially doing the same?

Also, they do have excellent coverage of the detailed architectural information of the products, but it's not useful if it's just a [work in progress]. You would not see me complain about their review being posted later on the NDA day, or a day or few later. It's just like their (always excellent) Apple reviews - the reviews may come out days/weeks after everyone else, but they're much more thorough. So I don't know why you're bending over backwards to rail me and defend them over their horrible mishandling of this review (and others, like I indicated).

Alereon posted:

They also had an extreme delay in receiving the second card from AMD.
Which would have been a perfectly understandable reason for either delaying the entire review, or doing what they sometimes do and posting a notice that those sections of the review affected will come later with an update.

Alereon posted:

Their R9 280X review was missing its conclusion.
Their R9 280X review was missing more than the conclusion - it was missing the sections concerning specific information on both the XFX and ASUS cards, the TrueAudio discussion was largely missing, the power and over-clocking sections were completely absent, etc. Some of the sections, including information on the ASUS DirectCU II, were missing for most of the day (I primarily remember this one since I was interested in the DCU II at the time). Also, most of the other sections were only "up" if you count pages with graphs/etc. but not text discussion. If you do, then yeah, sure, those sections were all present. But almost none of the performance sections had any actual discussion present - it was simply plots, just like with the 290X launch.

Alereon posted:

I've made a point of tracking NDA lift times for hardware I care about and checking the Anandtech reviews so I have some familiarity with their performance with launch reviews. All that said, this is definitely a debacle, and if Anandtech intentionally posted a blank review that is not okay. Since that would be such an obvious boneheaded move, the article and tweet went out at the exact scheduled NDA lift time, and Anand was apologizing over Twitter afterwards, it may not have been intentional.
Once again, who knows what the thought process was. I will definitely give them the benefit of the doubt in terms of them intentionally putting such a blank review up, but at the same time, they should know well enough by now that they should make sure either the review is done (that falls on Ryan Smith, who wasn't traveling to the various shows within the last few weeks) or otherwise delay/postpone the auto-post and post it once it is essentially complete. Yes, they do excellent in-depth work - but part of that work depends upon actually having the text discussion present, otherwise it's simply a collection of plots that I could collectively see anyway from [Hard]OCP, Tom's, etc. Sure, the other sites reviews aren't as in depth - but when Anand is just giving us plots, it's not like it matters at 12:01am anyway.

Edit - tl;dr: I'm not saying to crucify them, but don't just give them an automatic pass for a huge debacle that is similar to other past reviews just because they're "Anandtech". Call them out on their bullshit.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 25, 2013

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

And XFX has a really bad habit of cutting down their semi-custom cards instead of building them up, to make them cheap and unreliable. For a few months, everyone around here thought that GeForce 570s couldn't overclock well

Not to take away from the "XFX is low quality" talk because it's true, but hadn't they gone AMD-only by that point? I don't recall XFX making any Fermi or later cards due to the dispute with nVidia.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Oh, you're right. I hadn't even noticed that. Change that for "other manufacturers' cut-down cards," I guess.

Is anyone as cut down as XFX though? :ice burn: I heard once that part of the reason for XFX's switch was due to nVidia wanting to enforce higher quality control but not sure how true that rumor was.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah I think I'm going to have to go with a 780 now. Woe is me...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Rahu X posted:

The 290 has me feeling pretty mediocre. Sure, it's got amazing price/performance, but at the cost of having another loud hot pocket. Sure, you can slap on an Xtreme III to alleviate it, but you can only get a 12% OC out of it for the most part. A 780 can get a good bit more than that.

That's also not to mention that, according to Tom's Hardware, the retail 290s might be worse off in OCing and actual performance than the sample they got directly from AMD.

That being said, the 290 also fell sort of where I thought it would. It's pretty much a 780 for cheaper, and comes pretty drat close to its big brother. I can only imagine what the 290 will do to 290X sales though, as they are both so close in terms of performance that it would be rather silly to opt for a 290X instead. You'd either have to be an AMD diehard, or care so much about having that "X" in your spec sheet, to get a 290X over a 290.
In its current incarnation, yeah, it's somewhat mediocre. But I think you're ignoring the bigger picture - the vast majority of 290s sold will likely be custom cooler versions, where the heat and noise generated will not be a concern (through a ASUS DirectCU II system or a MSI Frozr system and watch the temps and noise drop). As we've seen with the R80X now, custom cooled versions can be had for relatively small price increases - $10 - $20. So now all of a sudden you're getting 780 performance for $410-420; I wouldn't call that mediocre. I know you just bought a 780, so not sure if that's part of the mediocreness. ;)

The Tom's article is "concerning", but given that Tom's is the only one I've seen raise that issue so far, I'm more likely to err on the side of Tom's being Tom's, and not any devious plot in terms of a true difference in cards. Remember - the driver AMD urgently released is what made the difference for the card, not any particular hardware change (as everyone else pointed out). And with quick-release, beta drivers comes deviations in performance. I would wait to see how the retail cards end up.

As for the 290X, it'll be subject to the same affects as the 290 in terms of custom cooling: lower heat and noise and/or higher overclocks. You're right though, right now the 290 provides no reason for anyone to go with the 290X.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I actually wonder how long before we do see the custom cooler versions of the R9-290 and 290X. Or to see what nVidia does to counter (I wouldn't complain at all about a $400 or $430 780 GTX.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

There is no way in the world they're going to cut prices that much when their game bundle and features actually do make up for the price difference. $500 is fine for the 780.

Well the game package ends on November 26th and so far we don't know of a replacement. I'm not sure the "features" are really worth an extra $100 - the main things are Shadowplay (which can also be done by 3rd party apps with low overhead) and Physx ( :laffo:). In that vein someone could make the same argument for TrueAudio and Mantle in the near future.

The current games are nice but once again the true value depends upon how the buyer values the bundle - for every person who think the games are great, there is likely someone who doesn't care at all about them.

The 780 is still a great card, but what happens if AMD comes out with the Never Settle bundle for the 280X and 290s for the Holiday push, as is rumored? The 780 is a questionable value as it is now that the 290 keeps up or surpasses at $400 before the custom cards come. Once those come and we possibly see a Never Settle bundle (and/or nVidia's bundle isn't renewed), it's lights out for the 780.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

They'd need to restructure their entire lineup. Maybe they well, I'm not predicting the future, just stating my take on things. Though I do think that a production proven thing like Shadowplay is actually a Good Feature vs. True Audio and Mantle being kind of nebulous, in-the-future-these-may-be-cool? things for AMD card owners. The nVidia Experience software is imo considerably better than AMD's raptr software, but that could be subjective.
I could see room still for an additional price-cut, given the uncertainty over Titan and how it'll slot in given the greater performance the 780 Ti. I do think Shadowplay is cool, but realistically how many people will truly use it? That's the issue with the "who knows" nature of TrueAudio and Mantle - if they do end up being implemented, each could essentially surpass the best "bonus" features nVidia has to offer, as Shadowplay is cool but not as cool as TrueAudio if it takes off. It's a big "if" though. In terms of the "experience" though, nVidia definitely has the better of the two. I don't really care for the whole raptr implementation at all.

quote:

This month we're supposed to find out a great deal more about Mantle, including announcements about other games in development using it, so that could be a significant factor that alters the value proposition once again (or not, just a big unknown at the moment). I love the idea of TrueAudio, but it's something that is pretty easily countered if necessary, like when AMD waaaay back when put audio over HDMI on their cards and nVidia just did that too, and thus could end up just kinda fragmenting the market unnecessarily.

Here's a tangential thing that's bugging me - AMD seems like they're in a rough spot with these proprietary technologies they're working on, in that they would enjoy more success and broader adoption if they weren't proprietary (a lesson they learned too late with MLAA vs. FXAA back when shader-based AA was hot new poo poo), but at the same time they've got a lot of pressure on them to keep them proprietary in the hopes that broader adoption will end up resulting in a greater market share. I know they've upped efforts with developers lately, certainly their console wins across the board will help grease the wheels there, but it's not a panacea and they can certainly harm their own technology's chances at broader adoption while trying to capitalize exclusively on them.
Yeah, I do think Mantle is almost one of those "It's going to help AMD in a big way, or be a complete dud" technologies. The promising aspect is that AMD could potentially leverage its console monopoly to get developers to utilize it more widely and, if they do, they'll have quite the leg up on nVidia. Brand name or not, people going between PC and console only have to see that their favorite titles have "Mantle by AMD" to have it potentially impact their hardware purchases, especially if it does offer a noticeable performance improvement PC-side.

AMD isn't alone though in terms of technologies that didn't really go anywhere. nVidia's whole 3D Vision concept didn't really get going that well (I know it's still "used", but that's like saying some crazy people still use pagers). So we'll just have to see how it is handled, and what, if anything, nVidia can truly counter it with. Possibly a resurgent NVAPI API, but we'll see. Without any nVidia in the console space they're potentially at a huge disadvantage.

quote:

Meanwhile, AMD is still in the position of engaging in price pressure at all tiers rather than being able to unequivocally claim performance superiority. Yes, I know that the cards are apparently good overclockers, which probably means they've got a GHz edition refresh lined up for some appropriate time, but if the 780Ti is a fully enabled GK110 for videogames, it's going to have better performance than an R9 290x, and given how few people actually use the very expensive cards, all that matters there is they can say they have the fastest card, not that they are selling a shitload of the fastest card.
I'm not sure that unequivocal performance superiority is really a thing besides at the top end. Tiers are subjective essentially, because both nVidia and AMD can slot their cards at an equal price tier or between each other's price tiers based upon performance, features, bundles, etc., and so it makes it difficult to really say that one has performance superiority over the other. The 7950 essentially trades blows with the 760, while being a little cheaper and having a better bundle. The 280X easily goes by the 760, but also costs $50 more. The 770 trades blows with, but is likely a little faster than, the 280X but also start at $30 more and has less memory. The 290 non-X is easily the best performance card available for the price: it easily goes past the 770, currently has the same amount of memory at essentially the same price as a 770, but with performance equivalent to the $100 more stock 780. The price difference will be less once custom cooled cards come, but it'll still be a big difference. The 780 is kinda in a quagmire - it's not any better of a performer over the 290, but a lot cooler, quieter, and has the nice game bundle currently. Then again, for only $50 more (MSRP0 you can get a higher-performing 290X, but the 290X is a bad performance:price card now that the 290 is out. Then we get to the 780 Ti at $700 that'll be the best-performing card, but also costs $150 more than the 290X. So yeah, nVidia will have performance superiority in a single true tier, the ultra-high end, that probably a hundredth of a percent of the market shops in. I'm not really sure superiority really matters in that tier except to those who can shop in it.

Otherwise, what one side might view as "price pressure", the other side could equally say is just price correction due to nVidia's price gouging during the 700 series of cards. Because a $650 GTX 780 was definitely price gouging to a lot of people.

Ultimately I'm just tired of all of the back-and-forth right now: I want a card for my 1440p monitor, and I had myself essentially convinced on the MSI Lighting 780, but the possibility of a custom cooled 290 non-X for quite a bit cheaper has caused me to once again second-guess my choice. I'm still leaning toward the 780, but hoping we might see some type of additional price cut.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

Some mfgs put the high end one on GTX 770s, but nVidia have been using noise optimized blowers on all cards for some time. My old/FF's current 680 was super quiet :)

I think EVGA is the only one that does, and even then, just on a 2 GB model. I was sad because I originally wanted to go with a 4 GB 770 and wanted the reference cooler for purely aesthetic reasons but no 4GB models with it are available.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

Their high end cooling solution is to date the best vapor chamber dual slot cooler for a graphics/compute card, ever. Ever ever. Yes. Cast aluminum housing with cast aluminum fins under a Lexan faceplate with an extremely efficient vapor chamber drawing heat from everything, all engineered for maximum airflow internally and using an already quiet AND ALSO acoustically dampened fan. They achieve a blower cooler that builds on the success of the GTX 680's already very good cooler to deliver performance that is best in class, and best ever.
Though it's still inferior to most AIB cooler solutions. It also costs a lot to make apparently so I'm not sure how "useful" it really is given the AIB options. It's a drat sexy blower though. (Though didn't some of Anand's benches show the 780 with the reference blower could hit its 80 degree throttling temp in some games?)

quote:

They also just don't run as hot. They could, but it'd be dumb and they'd throttle constantly. Just like... :haw:
You mean like the furnace that was Fermi? Let's not pretend that nVidia hasn't had big thermal and noise issues as well. :)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

Fully, enabled, GK110, on, a, consumer, card, I want it so bad man you have no idea

Plus we got a pretty good Christmas bonus, this is a mistake I want to make :qq:

I would totally buy your card if it weren't for the fact I'm waiting to pick up either a 780 (MSI Lightning) or a R9-290 (likely ASUS) that has load indicating LEDs, so I can look through my new case's window at the magnificent changing color bling.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I'm going to have to go and buy the MSI 780 Lightning and join in on this awesome party!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

This is going to rule. It's like the part where you're climbing the roller-coaster to build up speed and and and :allears:

Edit: Found a better source for this thing being basically a 690/7990 but with one GPU:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_780_Ti_SC_ACX_Cooler/26.html

:aaaaa:

You know you'll want to SLI that 780 Ti ;)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

Nope, retailers still charging $300+ for them, that's $600 for two and for no sensible reason as that does not at all reflect the cost of the additional VRAM or of the minimal adjustment to the PCB required to accommodate them. Pretty lame considering how great AMD prices are on better performing cards, and how well AMD is doing with their own dual-card solutions lately.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel as if the 4GB 760s are one of the worst price:performance cards one could go with, given that the same $300 buys a R9-280X which outperforms it by a good bit.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

SH/TCC

As to the question, my crystal ball is broken but Black Friday sales can get pretty nuts, it wouldn't be totally unprecedented for a high end card to go on sale in very limited quantities as a loss-leader to move less outrageous deals on the whole lineup of cards. Amazon is definitely gearing up for computer electronics, Newegg won't disappoint

I can't decide whether it's best to jump on the MSI 780 Lightning now to pick up the game bundle, or wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday and hope for a discount or otherwise a Newegg coupon code that currently can't be used with the 780s due to the game bundle. I could also wait and see what the after-market 290s look like (ideally a Matrix card since I really want a card with load-indicating leds), but I'm leaning more toward Team Green now.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

deimos posted:

I have decided on a price point for my EVGA ACX FTW SC* 4GB 760s $240 each shipped $460 for the pair (and it includes the copy of Blacklist I got with it if I can find it or I knock another :10bux: off), I will post them in SA mart at some point later this week but I'll let this thread get dibs on these monsters first.

I am losing ~$150 total so I don't think I am going lower price wise, I am already matching or beating 2GB 760s and the pair is cheaper than a 780.

EDIT AND CLARIFICATION: These will not ship (nor sell) before next week (Monday the earliest for a shipping date), I posted here in hopes to sell them as a pair privately, I have been approached to sell one so far, if another person contacts me to buy just one (or the pair) then I will sell them as they are. They only ship once both have sold. I know it's kind of a hassle for you guys interested in them but please do let me know if you're interested (via PMs or prosper.spurius at (that google mail domain)) and I'll keep everyone updated (and hope you do the same if you find another card)

* EVGA is really silly with their naming conventions, and typing that has just proven it without a doubt to me.

So... tempting. Must hold out for the Lightning...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

Keep an eye out, could be some really good deals after all even in the high end. I would be really surprised if we see big price drops on Titans or 780Tis for the holidays, but I've been surprised before. Though I would be EXTREMELY surprised if you managed to find a pair of 760 4GBs, let alone an EVGA ACX FTW set, for a better price than deimos is offering.

THAT SAID, you're setting up an SLI setup, right? Do you already have the one MSI Lightning and thus you're more or less forced to go with another one, or...? You really need to have a powerful side fan blasting fresh air and plenty of exhaust to deal with the heat from two open-air cards. It's doable, but that's a lot of wattage to dissipate and two high-TDP cards with open-air coolers have a bit of a tendency towards getting hotter than is totally healthy. Less of an issue for lower TDP cards (hence the 760s being a really good deal more or less regardless), but if you haven't already committed in some way it might be best to look at blowers instead for a 500W+ TDP SLI setup.

I was hoping to start off with the one card, and then late this year/early next year as Christmas gift cards come in for Amazon or Newegg, buying the second card at some point. I haven't yet bought the Lightning yet though. The idea is for SLI though, yeah.

Case-wise, I have the Corsair Air 540, so there is no side fan. However, I can mount 2x 140mms in the front or 3x 120mms, with another 140 in the rear and 2x 140s in the top and passive air intake through the bottom depending on how I setup the fan configuration (btw, thanks for the most-recent PM you sent! I just haven't had a chance to respond yet). I've seen a couple of other Air 540 systems online where people had SLI setups with GTX 780s that had open-air coolers, and the peopled reported the temps as being good. I haven't yet figured out how their fan setups are for those situations, and have still been considering my options.

The main issue is that I've been trying to balance what I actually might need and the practicality/cost savings of something like 4GB 760s in SLI or 280Xs in CF vs. my desire to have something with the load indicator LEDs (totally worthless in reality, I know. I just *want* it for some reason...). I've been hoping that MSI is going to come out with a 290 with the current TriFrozr Lightning cooler on it, but given that on special the 780 Lightning has been as low as $515 so the cost difference should be low and I tend to favor Team Green for Shadowplay/possible future G-Sync/ease-of-use for Hackintoshing also as my side project (I game and do other work in Windows though), I've still been leaning toward the 780.

(For reference, my original plan was to go with 2x R9-280X Matrix editions in CF, but between the triple-slot cooling being very undesirable on most motherboards in CF and the issues the 280X Matrix has been having quality/stability-wise, I decided to most likely stick with Team Green).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

R9 280x is the same thing but with the TrueAudio DSP on it (if that takes off, who knows) and runs at $300... Again, I really feel like nVidia isn't competing as strongly as they ought to at that price point.
Unfortunately, the R9-280X's don't have TrueAudio. That's reserved for the 290, 290X and R7-260X. The 280X is literally just Tahiti XT clocked between the 7970 and 7970 Ghz edition.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

cat doter posted:

I think I'm being CPU limited since I'm running my 3570k at stock (3.4/3.8 turbo) and apparently I should be getting 64fps average at 1080p very high in Crysis 3 but I'm getting closer to 50 average with some dips under that when it gets nuts, it will go above 50 it's just not really maintaining that. I don't have a chipset that allows overclocking either.

Total bummer.

Hmm, didn't think a 3570K would ever be limiting at just 1080p...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Secx posted:

I currently have an ASUS Radeon HD 6950 DirectCU II 810MHZ 2GB 5GHZ GDDR5 that I'm selling to a friend that is upgrading his computer.

What would be a good upgrade for me for around ~$350 +/- $50?

Current CPU is an i5 2500K @ 4.2 GHz, MSI P67A-GD80 motherboard and 16GB of ram and my monitor's native resolution is 2560x1440.

If you don't mind the potential sound issues (everyone's different, and depending on your case it may not bother you at all) and/or would be willing to do a custom cooling setup later, a Radeon R9-290 (non-X) would by-far be the best choice for 1440p at the $400, upper-end of your price range.

Otherwise, go with either a Radeon R9-280X (re-badged version of the 7970/Ghz Edition, so if you can find either of those cheaper go for it), or a 4GB GeForce 770 (which is definitely not the best when it comes to price:performance currently). Either of these latter two options could allow you to pick up a second and do Crossfire or SLI later on and ultimately yield very good performance at 1440p, with the caveat of all of the initial issues Crossfire and SLI tend to have when a new game comes out.